collapse

Author Topic: Emeralds  (Read 8735 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Emeralds
« on: September 17, 2013, 01:52:53 am »
Emeralds

Weighing an astonishing 57,500 carats — roughly 11 kilograms — the world’s largest cut faceted emerald was in Calgary Monday so it could be appraised before going up for auction in Kelowna, B.C. later this month.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2013, 01:59:50 am by zorgon »

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
Re: Emeralds
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2013, 05:03:40 am »
WOW!

That is what I call a gem.  Coincidentally I may be getting am emerald set into a ring for my partner in the near future.  I don't expect my budget to stretch that far though.

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
  • "Why are we all here? Because we ain't all there!"
    • Inception Radio Live-Chat
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2013, 07:34:58 am »
That truly is a monster of a stone, Zorgon!!  :o

There was an article that was written up on this Gem being sold back in January of this year. Found it, with some more images there:

Put that on her finger! 57,500-carat world's largest emerald worth $1.15MILLION up for auction
By DAILY MAIL REPORTER
UPDATED: 10:47 EST, 27 January 2012

The world's largest cut emerald is set to go up for auction - and is expected to fetch $1.15million.
The 57,500-carat stone, which is the size of a watermelon, is scheduled to go under the hammer tomorrow by Western Star Auctions in British Columbia.
The gem, named Teodora, was found in Brazil and cut in India, before being sold to rare gems dealer Reagan Reaney in Calgary - but there are doubts over whether it is in fact a true emerald.

'World's largest emerald': The gem, pictured here with owner Regan Reaney, is valued ay $1.15m and is set to be auctioned on Saturday

The 57,500-carat stone, named Teodora, was found in Brazil and cut in India, before being sold to the rare gems dealer Reagan Reaney in Calgary

A security guard keeps a watchful eye of the stone as residents take a look at it at Western Star Auction House in Kelowna, British Columbia.

'I’m positive it contains emerald but I’m not sure how much of it is emerald,' Jeff Nechka, the gemologist who appraised the stone, told JCK Magazine.
Nechka said that he cannot even confirm that the stone is in fact the 'world’s largest emerald'.
The stone has been dyed so Nechka says it is possible that at least part of it could be dyed white beryl - the mineral that makes up an emerald.
'It has been dyed to some extent but it’s impossible to tell the intensity of the stone prior. It’s impossible to know how much of it is emerald.' he told JCK.
Director of Gemological Institute of America's West Coast Identification Service, Shane McClure, said he had not examined the stone but that if there is any white beryl in the stone, GIA would likely term it 'beryl with zones of emerald.'
'We probably would not call it emerald no matter what,' he told JCK. 'They seem to think there is indication of natural green coloration but we wouldn't call it emerald in any case.

A worker polishes the world's largest emerald at Western Star Auction House in preparation for the public auction.

When experts grade an emerald colour is by far their most important consideration with clarity coming in a close second.
Despite the doubt over the massive gem, Nechka said that he was confident the stone has been priced accordingly.
'If it was solid, untreated emerald, you would be looking at 10 or 20 times the value for sure,' he told JCK.
Regan Reaney, the Calgary gem wholesaler who is selling the stone, told JCK that anyone who questions the stone is welcome to examine it.
'This is 100 percent what we say it is. We know there is emerald throughout it, we don't know how much. We know it's not a total white beryl, but it has some white beryl in it. it's not gem quality, and we know it's commercial grade. But the size of it is what makes it special,' he said in the report.

f the stone is not sold, it will be sent to the Gemological Institute of America.
Emeralds - the birthstone for the month of May - get their green colouring from the presence of chromium within the stone and the effect it has on constituent mineral beryl.
Unlike diamonds they are graded by eye. If when examined by the naked eye an emerald appears free from material trapped while it was being formed then it can be considered flawless.
Emerald crystals, like all other naturally occurring gemstone crystals, grow one molecule at a time meaning it takes prolonged periods to create a quality gemstone.
The emeralds being mined today are relics from the geologic events that took place hundreds of millions of years ago deep within the Earth's crust.
And since they are expensive there are techniques to create synthetic emeralds. These fakes can be 'grown' in a laboratory by coating colourless beryl with an emerald overgrowth.
Emeralds can be found from as far afield as Columbia to Afghanistan, Zimbabwe, Brazil and Canada.

[Put that on her finger! 57,500-carat world's largest emerald worth $1.15MILLION up for auction

Last update for price of Emaralds was anywhere from $30USD a Carat to $9800.00USD A Carat depending on clarity and quality of the stone's,

So very nice find to say the least.

Hope you don't mind I contributed to the thread here Zorgon. ;)

1WW
"To know men is too have knowledge, to know self is to have insight."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2013, 12:04:24 pm »
WOW!

That is what I call a gem.  Coincidentally I may be getting am emerald set into a ring for my partner in the near future.  I don't expect my budget to stretch that far though.

To bad they had it cut in INDIA... those guys can't cut worth a damn... Just look at those facets

India's cutters cut for weight, not for quality and they make for some weird cuts...

But maybe this one is more in your budget :D  Its 240 carats... I can make you a deal :P

I have been collecting my own Crown Jewels :D  but I think I will go with the Sapphire for the crown  I like blue better :D

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2013, 12:08:37 pm »
Last update for price of Emaralds was anywhere from $30USD a Carat to $9800.00USD A Carat depending on clarity and quality of the stone's,
So very nice find to say the least.
Hope you don't mind I contributed to the thread here Zorgon. ;)

No problem :P That is why they call it team work :D

Yeah it does matter on cut and clarity. This big one is the same quality as the large ones I have access too and likely from the same mine and cutters

Wanna buy one? :D  I can make you a great deal :D

Hey Pimander... what's in your budget? It is easier to find a stone to fit a budget than to look at stones beyond reach :)  Gimme a ball park figure and I will look for you

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2013, 05:37:01 pm »
Hey Pimander... what's in your budget? It is easier to find a stone to fit a budget than to look at stones beyond reach :)  Gimme a ball park figure and I will look for you
I need to talk to the boss (her upstairs :P ) again.  I agree with you and prefer Sapphire but I'm not the boss so will get back to you on this one.  She said something about already having one gem and fixing another with it so I'd better negotiate with her first.... ;)

Offline Phedre

• The Matrix
  • Gold 14
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2013, 09:11:46 pm »

The stone has been dyed so Nechka says it is possible that at least part of it could be dyed white beryl - the mineral that makes up an emerald.

It's too bad they put the dye to it.  :-\ Even if I was rolling in dough, I don't think I would want it.

Many many moons ago I took the American Gem Societies, Diamond appraisal  class and passed .  I did love working in the jewelery business.  :)

Offline 1Worldwatcher

• Gold 145
  • "Why are we all here? Because we ain't all there!"
    • Inception Radio Live-Chat
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2013, 06:44:21 am »
It's too bad they put the dye to it.  :-\ Even if I was rolling in dough, I don't think I would want it.

Many many moons ago I took the American Gem Societies, Diamond appraisal  class and passed .  I did love working in the jewelery business.  :)

I did not know they could do that Phedre. Dye Gems'. I can see where that would cause issue for accurately valuing it for sure. I will have to research how they do that, sounds as if it would take some really committed time. Thanks for sharing.

And nice to see you here, it has been a while.

1WW
"To know men is too have knowledge, to know self is to have insight."

Fruitbat

« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2013, 07:40:19 am »
Phadre, you might be just the person I need...

I have a tiny ring with a lot of small shiny stones in it. Well they are now in a tiny bag, once I learned how to prise em out with a handy sized engraving tool.

Is there any simple way to tell if they are likely to be real diamonds or not?

Fruitbat.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2013, 11:01:47 am »
I did not know they could do that Phedre. Dye Gems'. I can see where that would cause issue for accurately valuing it for sure. I will have to research how they do that, sounds as if it would take some really committed time. Thanks for sharing.

Dying gemstones has been done since the Egyptians.

Dyed Agates have been accepted in the gem trade for just about forever.

A lot of Turquoise on the market today is dyed HOWLITE... It is easy to spot with just a little experience

Other gemstones are heat treated or irradiated to enhance or change the color  "Green Amethyst is one such stone. The heating activates the impurities that give the stone its color.

An Introduction to Gem Treatments - Gemological Institute of America Inc.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 11:06:06 am »
Is there any simple way to tell if they are likely to be real diamonds or not?

Yes but that is a trade secret :P

::)

Diamonds sparkle because the cut ensures that they refract all the light back out to table (top). The refractive index of a diamond is such that if you draw a thin line on a piece of paper... and set the table(tap) of the diamond on that line... you will not see the line through the stone. Any other material like cubic zirconia or white sapphire you will see a curved line.

This may be hard if the stones are tiny though :D
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 11:37:44 am by zorgon »

Fruitbat

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 12:16:57 pm »
Thank you for that Zorgon,

I'll get out the magnifying glass, print the thinnest line that my laser can print, and see what seems to be what.

When prising them from the ring about a month ago, there was a sudden release of tension followed by a pinging sound somewhere in my living room. Would you know it, but last night in a completely unrelated part of the room I glanced down on the floor and saw a glittering point of light..

Would be nice to turn these (whatever they are) into food or energy.

Fruitbat.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 12:39:48 pm »
Would be nice to turn these (whatever they are) into food or energy.

Well diamonds are just compressed coal but I don't think you will get much heating from them :P

but if your looking for cash go out and find some fossils :D

Offline Phedre

• The Matrix
  • Gold 14
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 02:35:10 pm »

Enhanced Diamonds and Gemstones, have been around like Zorgon said, forever. But , as technology has improved so has the "enhancing" I am way behind on what is going on in the business. I will share a " horror" story with you.

A lady brought in a $2,500. color enhanced diamond ring to be sized. It was a very large ring, lots of diamonds, in shades of green, bronze , beige stones, quite lovely. Our head jeweler (store owner) went to work sizing. Only to discover that the heat from the torch used in sizing the gold band, had removed all the color from the diamonds! He must have had a" black out" on the care of sizing "radiated" diamond rings. Things got really tense!
1. We sold the lady the ring 2. It was my sister-law 3. No way to get the Exact ring back.  We finally did get a ring, that she did approve of eventually.

So it is good to know who you are buying from. I will say, for me I would buy from Zorgon, 'cause he is  "straight" up kind of guy, and I can figure out where he lives.  8) I also believe that he would be coming  from the theory that he would be working from the "best of his knowledge" which is quite vast.

I also see these days, Black and Brown diamonds, that used to be called "bort" put into some really kind of pretty jewelery items. "Bort" was ground up and used to put on your saw blades and fingernail files. So now we have something for everyone.   :)

Offline Phedre

• The Matrix
  • Gold 14
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 02:47:52 pm »
And nice to see you here, it has been a while.

1WW

Thank you 1WW, I appreciate that.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56