collapse

Author Topic: Magnet-based FE device  (Read 11592 times)

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
Re: Magnet-based FE device
« Reply #15 on: October 19, 2012, 07:31:05 pm »
Not technical enough to comment on the device...but was wondering what the point of the projectile was...  Who Ya thinking of aiming it at?  [grin]
The projectile was more of a sled or device to carry the inductive magnets along to pop the coils in line. It would have magnets at the top and bottom shielded from the propulsion magnets on the sides. The magnets on the projectile would be attached to little wings or sponsons which were a decent distance away that they wouldnt affect the travel of it.

Im wanting to do some drawings, but Im outta town and have no good pads or pencils. When  return  have a drawing in mind for the spiral lifter and this one too..I love to draw..wish I could afford to build! :o

Oh to be Bill Gates illegitimate stepchild....
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »

I ride a magnet based motor to work every day.

It's called a brushless hub motor and it resides inside the rear wheel, eliminating the need for a motor and chain arrangement as used in older technology.

I bring this up because the way they get this motor to turn is quite clever, and this type of trick may come in useful for other projects I see in progress in these forums.

In short, this method is a carrot and donkey arrangement, constantly moving the magnetic pull carrot ahead of the stator by means of electronic switching.

Here is how they do it -

[youtube]ZAY5JInyHXY[/youtube]

[youtube]WyQInXjpGwU[/youtube]

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2012, 07:47:34 pm »
Yep, A51, just like in my computer fan, eh?

Its a tech that is really cool, yet underutilized in my opinion.

My new washer and dryer have these BLDC motors, too, and they spin up like crazy!

Le

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2012, 08:08:43 pm »
Yes Le.

Another unknown benefit of these motors is - they are also actually generators.

Once this motor is spinning, it is also actually producing voltage on it's own.

I have a controller that allows me to choose how I wish to make use of this voltage.

I have it set in the mode so that when I start going downhill and release the throttle, (applying no voltage to the motor) it is now spinning and producing voltage on it's own which I feed back into my battery.

How about we get a paddlewheel like on the old riverboats, attach it to this motor and set it down in a nearby creek or river.

Or how about putting a propeller on there and hoist it up on a pole?

Either way once the motor is spinning it is producing voltage.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2012, 08:11:24 pm by A51Watcher »

Fruitbat

« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2012, 08:21:21 pm »
A bloke called IMHOTEP on youtube had us building bedini motors using exactly these sorts of priciples and a surplus computer fan brushless motor. You do HV spikes out of it from a 12v input, which they SAY can charge a battery before the energising battery went flat, but I lost interst when I realsied that a pair of new motorcycle batteries would cost more than my entire lifter project, and it would take ages to prove, and no one else seemd to be measuring OU. It might yet work. I don't know. Mine goes around but the neon does not flicker so I think I cocked it up somewhere, although I can't quite see where.
Hope that helps someone take a shortcut to the knowledge that they seek. Good night.

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #20 on: October 19, 2012, 10:04:08 pm »
My new washer and dryer have these BLDC motors, too, and they spin up like crazy!

Le

You'd want to keep me out of your laundry then, Dave; your washer and dryer would get taken to pieces, in order to extract this thing! ;)

Truthfully though, I don't understand this stuff, unfortunately.  I've only seen a single Bedini motor that looked simple enough that I thought I might be able to put it together.  I have no background with electricity; I truthfully don't really know what it is at all.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2012, 04:07:06 am »
Yes Le.

Another unknown benefit of these motors is - they are also actually generators.

Once this motor is spinning, it is also actually producing voltage on it's own.

I have a controller that allows me to choose how I wish to make use of this voltage.

I have it set in the mode so that when I start going downhill and release the throttle, (applying no voltage to the motor) it is now spinning and producing voltage on it's own which I feed back into my battery.

How about we get a paddlewheel like on the old riverboats, attach it to this motor and set it down in a nearby creek or river.

Or how about putting a propeller on there and hoist it up on a pole?

Either way once the motor is spinning it is producing voltage.

A quick test would be a blow dryer and an old computer fan..thatll tell us the output efficiency versus rpm somewhat close.

a huge fan blade erected on a pole would be the most efficient windmill..no brushes, no wear on the bearings either.

Le

Fruitbat

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2012, 06:42:25 am »
It won't unless you rewire the computer fan motor and cofigure it as a genrator. BUt teh bedini principle is a bit mroe complicated than a staright motor generator combo, alledgedly.

You've got the magnets already, Dave, can I comission you to build that ramp again, and add a wheel? It'll take days for me to even get the magnets, and we need to know asap! Having made teh linear one you are really well poised to make the rotary one. IF ANYTHING holds you up or you get a metrials / money shortage just PM me and I will help you solve your problem. I'd be doing that one myself if I had the magnets.. (I've tried to just focus my practical time on the lifter side, which is why I haven't done this yet).

FB.

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2012, 10:51:10 am »
Pim, that's another great tip on technology, i bet it's our old freind Barium Titanate again, maybe with some Hafnium in there?
These materials can, simply put, work in reverse.
Cool!
Still an expensive material, though....
I have been meaning to look into possible cheap piezomagnetic and piezoelectric materials but haven't got around to it...... In fact I will start a thread later and try to tap into the members knowledge so thanks for the reminder.

PLAYSWITHMACHINES

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2012, 11:55:35 am »
Hi all ;)

Luke and everyone, do you think this idea has any validity and deserves a bit of further investigation? I have a big box full of those parallelagram magnets still!

Yes it does appear to work, this was Howard Johnson's setup:
[youtube]ndRrCZiM1CU[/youtube]

And a rotary version:
[youtube]FLek_3Hpwus[/youtube]

I've seen them working without the lever system as well!

Petrus:
Truthfully though, I don't understand this stuff, unfortunately.  I've only seen a single Bedini motor that looked simple enough that I thought I might be able to put it together.  I have no background with electricity; I truthfully don't really know what it is at all.

That doesn't matter, the important thing is you saw the potential in it & brought it here :)

OK so i've seen it before, many haven't.
I'm designing firing coils now because my Perendev has a mega sticky spot. I know it's in the geometry of the magnets, i will need to shape them, change the angle etc....

So i thought, what the hell, i can just use less outer magnets, & some coils on a short piece of iron attached to them. The coils will fire at the 'sticky spot' & temporarily cancel the field of the 'sticking' magnet.
This (apparently) uses less energy than replacing a magnet with a coil, as used in modern BLDC motors.

Yep, they make great gennys, also stepper motors, they have more poles & tend to buzz loudly when spinning. If it's up on a 30 foot pole you may not even hear it LOL

Since i've got 60-odd neo's laying around (2 are still AWOL) i can have a go at this.
Especially since i've got my tiny lathe/mill set up, & i turned up some nylon wheels for the 'spinning disc' experiment, but they are better suited to this....
Tip for inventors; Many models use MDF instead of nylon, that's because you have to go really slow with nylon or it melts on the cutting tip, also it shrinks way under size, which you have to calculate for :(
I'm on a roll like one of those magnets, picking up momentum :)

Pim, we did start on materials, BaTi discs etc in the 'gravity workshop' & 'inventors/TTBrown' If you have anything to add, it would of course be more than welcome.

Haven't been on my own forum lately, it's probably getting a bit messy by now ::)

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2012, 01:48:03 pm »
Lucas, check this vid out and give us your thoughts, please.

seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2012, 02:17:14 pm »
Pim, we did start on materials, BaTi discs etc in the 'gravity workshop' & 'inventors/TTBrown' If you have anything to add, it would of course be more than welcome.

Haven't been on my own forum lately, it's probably getting a bit messy by now ::)
I must have missed it.  Do you have a link?

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56