collapse

Author Topic: $55M in Civil War-era gold  (Read 2177 times)

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
$55M in Civil War-era gold
« on: March 17, 2018, 07:46:38 am »

wow  when i saw the headline i thought it was that new show about civll war gold in lake michigan..

now the sorta fake news part..
Dents Run site in Benezette Township, Pa. is just a bit further from pgh. that you are being led to believe...it's beautiful country and  the elk herd there draws  the attention..look it  up on a map
it's one of those places that you can drive and drive and get lost really fast..hummmmmmmmmmmm

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rumored-site-of-dollar55m-in-civil-war-era-gold-draws-fbis-attention-reports-say/ar-BBKk5dO?li=BBnbfcL
FOX News FOX News
Amy Lieu
8 hrs ago

Rumored site of $55M in Civil War-era gold draws FBI's attention, reports say

Dozens of FBI agents, Pennsylvania state officials and members of a treasure-hunting group dug in a remote Pennsylvania site earlier this week, on rumors of Civil War-era gold being buried there.
A 155-year-old legend has it that a Civil War-era gold shipment bound for a U.S. Mint in Philadelphia was either lost or hidden northeast of Pittsburgh around the time of the Battle of Gettysburg in 1863.

President Abraham Lincoln reportedly ordered the shipment to help pay Union Army soldiers, Dennis Parada, owner of local treasure-hunting group Finders Keepers, told WJAC-TV.

"I’m not going to quit until it’s dug up," Parada told the Philadelphia Inquirer, "and if I die, my kid’s going to be around and make sure it’s going to be dug up.

“There’s something in there and I’m not giving up.”

Based on different stories, the shipment was composed of either 26 or 52 gold bars, each weighing 50 pounds, meaning it would be worth $27 million to $55 million today.

Local lore that the federal gold might be buried at the Dents Run site in Benezette Township, Pa., about 135 miles northeast of Pittsburgh, caught the FBI's attention.

So earlier this week agents from the bureau and officials from the Pennsylvannia Department of Conservation and Natural Resources (DCNR) set up a search area off Route 555, the Courier-Express reported.

The site is west of Driftwood, where a crew delivering the gold was attacked in an ambush, lone survivor Sgt. Jim Connors reportedly told his Army superiors at the time, the Philadelphia Inquirer reported. But the Army reportedly doubted his story and Connors died in a “western outpost,” leaving the loot unfound.

This week the FBI wouldn't say why it was at the site, revealing only that it was conducting “court-authorized law enforcement activity.”

Historians have cast doubt that the shipment of gold was lost on its way to Philadelphia. Finders Keepers also said Pennsylvania’s Historical and Museum Commission claims the legend of the lost gold is a myth, the Inquirer reported.

But the lost treasure recovery group has insisted for years that it discovered buried gold in a state forest at Dents Run (within the township) using a high-powered metal detector, but federal law wouldn't allow it to coduct a dig in search of more, the Courier-Express reported.

A spokesman from the Pennsylvania DCNR said that the group previously asked to excavate the site, but elected not to pay a required $15,000 bond.

The spokesman also referred questions on Tuesday's activity to the FBI, and Parada said he was under FBI orders not to discuss the site.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
Re: $55M in Civil War-era gold
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2018, 12:46:28 pm »
follow up

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/rumors-of-lost-civil-war-gold-stir-hope-in-pennsylvania/ar-BBKwz62?li=BBnbfcL

Rumors of Lost Civil War Gold Stir Hope in Pennsylvania
The New York Times The New York TimesBy CHRISTINE HAUSER
7 hrs ago

For decades, treasure hunters in Pennsylvania have suspected that there is a trove of Civil War gold lost in a rural forest in the northwestern part of the state.

But the mystery about where it is hidden, or if it even exists, has recently deepened.

Last week, F.B.I. representatives showed up at a site in Dents Run, Elk County, an area known for its seasonal elk viewing activities that feed the economy of nearby Benezette Township.

The agency, in a statement on Monday, said very little about the mission aside from describing its work as a “court-authorized excavation” at Dents Run that ended on March 14. Its conclusion: “Nothing was found.”

An F.B.I. spokeswoman, Carrie Adamowski, declined to comment further.

The sudden and apparently secretive appearance of federal investigators at the site has deepened the mystery over the fate of the gold bars that has persisted for more than a century, despite the efforts and hopes of treasure hunters, the study of historians and the years of scrutiny by local news media.

“There has been numerous people over the past 20 or 30 years traveling up and down the mountains looking for the gold,” said James Burke, executive director of the local Mt. Zion Historical Society. His group has sent teams into the area looking for the gold, and hired a private investigator at one point.

“There had to be some credible evidence to convince them that there might have been gold there,” he said, referring to the F.B.I. “The fact that they got a court order to go in there and do a dig — that might have been based on some evidence that they had.”

“That is just creating a mystery in itself,” he said.

“The locals are just — ‘Did you see that? Wow,’” he added.

In 1863, according to historical accounts, just before the outbreak of the Battle of Gettysburg in July, the Union army wanted to move dozens of gold bars from Wheeling, W.Va., northeast through Pennsylvania, to pay soldiers. The wagon train caravan went to Ridgway and then on to St. Mary’s, where the idea was to pick up a local guide and then swing over the mountains and onward to Philadelphia, Mr. Burke said.

The story of the gold bars was pieced together from old documents, a map and even a mysterious note found decades ago in a hiding place on the back of a bed post in Caledonia, Pa., he said.

“The gold got lost,” he said. “It was pretty much a wilderness area, and they got wrapped around in the mountains over in Dents Runs or Hicks Run.”

Some reports say there were 52 bars, but Mr. Burke said he thought there were 26, with each 14-carat bar weighing 50 pounds, making the trove potentially worth millions of dollars.

“We have very, very little credible or documented evidence of the gold,” he said. “A lot of it is hearsay.”

Over the years, the speculation has turned into action, inspiring treasure hunters. Finders Keepers USA, a Pennsylvania group that describes itself as a treasury-recovery service, has documented its efforts to locate the gold. The owners of Finders Keepers, Dennis and Kem Parada, were at the site when the F.B.I. visited last week, according to a report by WJAC, a television station in Johnstown.

On their website,
http://finderskeepersusa.com/site.php?site=13
the Finders Keepers founders, who did not reply to an email on Tuesday, said that they believed they had found the location of the gold but that federal law had prevented them from excavating it. The group, which describes itself as a “locate and recovery service for under ground metal artifacts,” also posted a copy of a 2005 letter from the Bureau of Forestry to the district overseeing Elk State Forest.

It said Dennis Parada had excavated materials from Dents Run that he believed were related to the Civil War, but on examination they were found to be camp debris, from the 1880s at the earliest, and of no cultural or historical significance. Mr. Parada was banned from further excavations there, but he was permitted to use metal detectors, the letter said.

“I told D.C.N.R. I’m not going to quit until it’s dug up,” Mr. Parada told The Pittsburgh Post-Gazette in 2008, referring to the Department of Conservation and Natural Resources. “And if I die, my kid’s going to be around and make sure it’s dug up. There’s something in there and I’m not giving up.”

On Tuesday, Terrence Brady, a spokesman for the conservation department, which also sent representatives to the site when the F.B.I. was there, said he had been told not to say anything about the F.B.I.’s excavation.

The story of the lost gold “has always been on the back burner,” he said.

“What prompted this resurgence of interest with a federal agency?” he added. “It is a rumor, a story if you will, that refuses to die.”

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter