collapse

Author Topic: Preliminary readings indicate high atmospheric radiation levels in the West Midlands, UK  (Read 7547 times)

Fruitbat

Well I don't see a thread on it yet.....  ???
That's because my methodology isn't yet unimpeachable.
My cumulative measurement is compromised by the fact that the batteries kept going flat, and not being promptly replaced, (weeks would sometimes go by...) until I realised that we ARE actually getting more than the old guidelines said we should, based on tah actual data that I have accumulated with no extrapolation or ptehr dishonesty, (and in fact are wildly on the low, becuse of my disorganisation, and failure to believe in myself)
MY now often checkiing of my 24 hour rate, and multplication by 1000 and division by three to give a 333day year figure, again on the low side suggests that some days are hotter than others, we just had a 7xNormal day, but that's all too vague to support a thread.  I Need to build a mains with battery powered geiger that logs as many readings as possible, and allows me to back up my wild assertions with records.
I am working on it, but some of your "richer" types can get a counter that comes with software (on ebay, of course) to set up a permanent web based radiation weather station. OR maybe more than one.

Now that would be more helpful for you "yanks" than anything I can do.

Whilst I personally have the British attitude that all races and creeds are inferior to whatever we British are doing today, I quite like to have you all there to compare unfavourably to our glorious empire, but in this case I suspect that you are also serving as a filter and diffusion mechanism for the radioactive shite heading our way from Japan, and your ONLY chance of minimising the damage to your country longeterm is by getting everyone to be aware of what is really happening.

The media lies.
Internet sites and people have their own axes to grind.
My cheap little chinese geiger counter however does seem, very truthful.
The one I build will be more capable, and more "unimpeachable", and hopefully web enabled, eventually.

The means by which a geiger counter operates lends itself to accuracy being easy to achieve, it's  a kind of "works or it doesn't" thing, the main variable being the tubes parameters need to be known for the millisieverts to be right. (Different sizes give more or less clicks for the same amount of millisieverts, but as per usual, digital electronics tends to be stupidly accurate for low cost on the whole).

Trouble is it all takes time and effort and I don't really want to do much in the line of radiation monitoring for myself, I want to do it for others benefit, so it isn't happening as fast as it needs to. Sorry, but I am just as selfish as the next man, most of the time I'm just trying to meet my own needs on a day to day basis.

Still, I suppose I could go and do some building of that counter. But you don't NEED my figures, you need to take your own. Only by a mass of geiger counter operating people, organising themselves and protesting vigorously (and maybe not always peacefully) will anything get done.

IN this case we really DO need to whip up a mob. Lots if possible. And join your local anti-nuclear mob too.
I cannot see any other approach working, in the scant time that we MAY have left to us.

FB!

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
Greetings friend:

Great OP!

Check this out:

Circuit Hack – How to Make a Radiation Detector Geiger Counter!

Calling all you engineer types - we'll gather information such as this and make a separate thread and you techies filter out the best ideas and we'll design and build our own.

What do you say, people?

Peace Love Light

tfw

Liberty & Equality or Revolution
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
I support this idea, Thor.  Wish I had more than just emotionall support to give.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Fruitbat

I support this idea, Thor.  Wish I had more than just emotionall support to give.

You do. YOu have your force of personality in daily life.
Just try and scare people who can afford the 100$ for a decent one into buying a counter.

People with counters provide the proof, that is needed to put the average joe in the know.
You are no longer a conspiracy nut whne you pull out your personal counter and SHOW soeoen what they are breathing in...

IF you can't afford a counter, I bet someone in your life, can.

We are pat the point of beng reserved and not upsetting people now, this needs to get out there as a matetr of life and death.

FB! Thanks for the interest guys...

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
Oh, I imagine I could handle being a sales Person (I dislike sales intensely, but for the right cause... Did I mention that I sold the second highest amount of Campfire peanuts in San Diego County when I was 16 - it's HARD to sell CF peanuts at THAT age! - and lost out to a very cute bluebird (abt 8 yrs old) for first?).

Only problem is I'll have to be carried somewhere where there are PEOPLE!  LOL!

Indeed, it's way past time for the soft pedal.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline stealthyaroura

• searcher of truth
  • The Roundtable
  • Gold 63
  • open minded student of truth.
i really dont want to come off as negative here but the title of the thread is a little fear mongering
and i would of hoped for some good hard facts with the readings (what is normal for the UK and
what you say we are getting)
this is a worrying thing so god speed on getting the detector built and some data.

this is NOT a bash thread, it just got my attention big style.I am in the UK and fuk
is a worry.
Nikola Tesla humanitarian / Genius.
never forget this great man who gave so much
& asked for nothing but to let electricity be free for all.

Fruitbat

i really dont want to come off as negative here but the title of the thread is a little fear mongering
and i would of hoped for some good hard facts with the readings (what is normal for the UK and
what you say we are getting)
this is a worrying thing so god speed on getting the detector built and some data.

this is NOT a bash thread, it just got my attention big style.I am in the UK and fuk
is a worry.

Look, if you have access to money buy your own! NOW that might SOUND rude, but it's the only way you'll truly know what I know. Recently we've been geeting a proportionate rate of 10 millisieverts per year.  What  I will do for you, is point you in the direction of the one I would buy now, and say that IF you buy it and do not feel like you have had your moneys worth, of suddenly realising what an actual peril you and your loved ones are in form teh ghastly mistake of nuclear power, I'll take it off your hands for 75% or greater to be decided "on the day" of your purchase price. my daily readings are appearing on a facebook page that I administrate.

IF you find that the sudden and very unpublicised dramatic recent change to your radiological enviroment is as unacceptable as I do, then you will be equipped to move on to the stage of active resistance.

Before you do, there are 2 things to consider. IS the current 3-4 millisieverts a year (that my incomplete figures suggest is on the low side) truly a concern? And if it is, what should we all be doing about it?

Active resistance seems difficult, but actually all we need is enough people with geiger counters. the little personal ones that can be carried discreetly, and beep when the background rises above a preset threshold walking about telling people what is going on. Of course they ignore you. but after a while, they notice the beep... And when they ask what can be tone, tell em to do what you do. YOu can also plan to escape to the southern hemisphere when the background rises to an unaccepatble level, or alternatively learn a bit about iodine, seaweed, and other treatments. And you can then be useful to the people around you. Finally (of course) you can consume as little electricity as you can manage, because the only sane and sensible solution (IF we are lucky and spent fuel pool 4 doesn't split) is to impose a complete moratorium on nuclear fission until we know how to deal with the messes that we already have created. We punters need to use less electric and pay more for it in teh short term, taht's how it has to be.

Hope that helps, and despite the blunt tone of the first line, I really appreciate your concern and need for the truth. IF you want daily counts, the best way it to gather them yourself. If you want clarfication of my offer, I'll be happy to do it here, if you'd like a phone converstaion before going ahead feel free to PM me. I've know a great deal about the nuclear industry's honesty since the eighties, but now the truth is out there and can be measured with an instrument. And you should do it for the sake of your kids, pets, future, general good, etc, but mostly as a protest.

I will say I am beginning to hate teh beep. Y

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
the problem for me is i dont have a computer to plug it into.
i agree we need something around twenty bucks about the size of a cellphone.
i bet they would sell like crazy.
can a radon detector be modified?
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline stealthyaroura

• searcher of truth
  • The Roundtable
  • Gold 63
  • open minded student of truth.
Thanks for the offer's Fruitbat,and i never got any bad vibes from your post
in fact it gave me the info i needed to a certain extent.however i don't think i will
be investing in a geiger counter anytime soon. i could see myself getting obsessed
with the thing and worrying myself with stress and i don't need any more of that.
The zero point energy tech need's busting out of the box IMO, we are living in the past.

yes the iodine and seaweed use is good advice and should be looked into & shared by all.
Thanks for replying.I shall keep an eye on the thread.SA.
Nikola Tesla humanitarian / Genius.
never forget this great man who gave so much
& asked for nothing but to let electricity be free for all.

Fruitbat

To be honest, we talked it over as a family and decided if we are screwed we're screwed and staying put, to all be screwed together. And it's pointless worrying about it.

But those other idiots, the majority, they need to be taught to worry. Because when we worried and protested a few dacades ago, their sort listened to the easy lies, and called us foolish things. They need a bit of reminding.

The beeping does that nicely.

IF enough of them get to worry, there will be a change. People only need to be educated. So it costs me 70 quid for my counter, and I have to remember to keep a spare pair of charged up batteries about my person, When I talk nuclear, I now come off as well informed, not just some nutter, because after all, the background IS far higher than it should be, and if they don;t believe me, well, they can always find the price of a "good night out" (so I am told, I live cheap) and prove it for themselves. Generally, they'll automatically move to the point of spreading the news.   

Not much else you can do really, but the 'counter, is as powerful as a gun when it comes to proving the truth of our argument.

Nuclear power as it has been done so far is a complete foolishness. we need to stop it, and either reduce our energy consumption whilst we sort out a sensible way to produce energy (here's an idea, we make decentralised solar the norm, and reduce our persoanl consumption so that our surplus soalar electricity goes back up the grid to help the massive consumers of power. Use the grid in reverse!

Please, I'm under the cosh real bad for time, and internet access for the next week or so, so will some one else do the "sky is falling, get a geiger counter and tell your neighbours" proseletizing if I fall behind? I WANT TO get some people doing what I do as fast as possible. Really because I'd like to hope that we get some luck, spent fuel 4 doesn't break,and taht nly a few million poeopel have tehir lives shortened as a result of this incident, butIF  we do get that break, I also DON'T want any more of it. As one poster put above this is real scary shizzle, not nice, and we shouldn;t have to be putting up with it.

FB!

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Here's a question.  Assuming that atmospheric nuclear radiation, hypothetically speaking, did spread all over the planet, is there anything practical that we can do about it?  I'm not meaning to imply that there isn't; I'm honestly asking.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline biggles

• Gold 47
Here's a question.  Assuming that atmospheric nuclear radiation, hypothetically speaking, did spread all over the planet, is there anything practical that we can do about it?  I'm not meaning to imply that there isn't; I'm honestly asking.

Good question.
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Fruitbat

I think maybe IF we survive long enough yes something can be done, but if we over do it, then, no.

I don't know where that point is, don't want to, just want it all turned off for a while. Whilst some solutions are found.

FB!

Fruitbat

Shameless bump, I know, but we're up to 2.57 mSv now...
'Picked up .01 in the last five hours too.
FB.

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
Have you tried taking readings elsewhere?  Where exactly are you taking them?

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter