collapse

Author Topic: Basic survival prep 101: the bug out bag  (Read 11818 times)

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
Re: Basic survival prep 101: the bug out bag
« Reply #30 on: April 13, 2014, 05:59:30 am »
The more, the better.  :D

Forest Service maps are also a plus, these may be similar.
Armap, BTS, both very good suggestions... it depends on if you are attempting to return home from work during SHTF, or going to a safe haven apart from your home domicile...

the plan for me is to be moving to a more remote (and secure) location in the future; it actually is only about 15 miles from where I live now but has many advantages over Booger Woods, being off the avenues of exspansion, running water,etc. (plus has a nice site to build an underground/earth sheltered bunker)...

seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

sky otter

« Reply #31 on: April 13, 2014, 07:33:11 am »

well if you are bugging out or staying put everyone should know some first aid like cpr
how to set a break, treat a burn, remove ticks..that sort of thing..also have some pain relief meds.. aspirin is probably the safest best bet there
if you are panning to use one of those silver blanets for warmth..make sure you have the right size
i have a friend who years ago bought a bunch cheap..only to find out they were 4X4 and not large enough for an adult to wrap up in..
so test whatever you plan on depending on

hey seeker..not much time left to dig that bunker  ;)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #32 on: April 13, 2014, 09:49:05 am »
Armap, BTS, both very good suggestions... it depends on if you are attempting to return home from work during SHTF, or going to a safe haven apart from your home domicile...
I can get home from work with my eyes closed, my work place is some 50 metres from my home. ;D

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
« Reply #33 on: April 13, 2014, 09:34:51 pm »
One of the things in the thoughts for planning - if the shtf happens to be an "EMP" hit, then we can expect the auto computer electronics to be fried, and thus inoperable. That will represent a "real inconvenience" to most of us, with no way to move about, except by foot - unless we have the old type of auto, that basically had no computer stuff - or cycles, pedal and/or powered.

Or of course, if we are a Knight in shining armor, then I suppose we could/should have at least one horse with wings anyway! :)

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #34 on: April 14, 2014, 11:02:44 am »
One of the things in the thoughts for planning - if the shtf happens to be an "EMP" hit, then we can expect the auto computer electronics to be fried, and thus inoperable. That will represent a "real inconvenience" to most of us, with no way to move about, except by foot - unless we have the old type of auto, that basically had no computer stuff - or cycles, pedal and/or powered.

Or of course, if we are a Knight in shining armor, then I suppose we could/should have at least one horse with wings anyway! :)
Tis a very good point over-looked by most nowadays;99% of all things electrical/electronic are susceptible to EMP unless shielded in a metal box or a Farraday cage...
which says 99% of everything is gonna go tits up...

bicycles and horses may be the next mainstay of travel once more along with older, tesla coil ignitions with points and no computers or sensors...

@sky otter: maybe late in the game to do what I am planning, but the geodesic dome I am going to build is simple in design, easy to build, has a built in Farraday cage with the rebar, and are extremely strong; once back filled and covered it will support 20 times what a conventional re-inforced flat slab will...

noise proof, storm(tornado) proof, and very energy efficient...

seeker
Seekers Domain

Offline WarToad

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 160
  • PRC Black Sheep
« Reply #35 on: April 14, 2014, 11:05:58 am »
I can get home from work with my eyes closed, my work place is some 50 metres from my home. ;D

HAHAHA!  I have you beat.  My work place is my office in my home.  I have about a 30 second commute time from bed to desk.
Time is the fire in which we burn.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #36 on: April 14, 2014, 01:31:36 pm »
HAHAHA!  I have you beat.  My work place is my office in my home.  I have about a 30 second commute time from bed to desk.
Why do you take so long? ;D

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2014, 03:04:16 pm »
OK part one was dealing with the BOB to get you home in a SHTF scenario; most peeps are going to have to evaluate whether to hunker down and ride it out at home or move to better accomidations; many have already planned their route and have prepped a safe haven; most haven't...

It bodes well to have Plan A, and B, and C...

seeker
Seekers Domain

Fruitbat

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2014, 04:31:19 pm »
A little trick in this subject
Do you know if you take a 6 volt battery hack and you
disassembly it (with precaution) you'll find 32 AA batteries
very good investment. 8)

What is a 6volt battery hack?

Another handy hint, which I have used to good effect, is to make yourself a mains lead with 2 plugs on it.
Mark 1 plug "generator" mark the other plug "danger do not touch", then put it where only YOU can find it.
In the event of the mains supply going off, you can if you are careful, and remember to turn the BIG ISOLATING switch OFF you can then power your entire house quickly and simply from a portable generator by plugging it in to a wall socket..

Of course this is extremely dangerous to anyone who unplugs your carefully labelled "danger do not touch" plug, very hazardous if the power comes back on and you haven't isolated your house from the mains but if you can manage the hazard it's way better than sitting in the dark. 

IN our case, last time the electric went off we could just about run the fridge, household lighting and TV / laptops off my suitcase generator. All the rest of our street was in darkness except for one house which still had all it's lights on :c)

If you have invested in solar, make sure that it will actually power your house if the mains goes off, I believe that some "feed in" systems don't actually do that.. Also if you have solar, you still will want some batteries and and an invertor with a high current charger, if you want the fridge to run through the night...

In the winter your solar array gives 1/10th of what you get in the summer I am told, so if you have a 5KW array, you'll just about get 500watts in the winter. For true off grid living using todays technolgy I'm thinking that an auxiliary water cooled diesel generator is the way too go. (Diesel fuel can be improvised more easily than lighter fuels like gas and petrol) and by using a heat exchanger you can get hot water at the same time that you charge your batteries and run your house off the generator from the water jacket.

In a proper SHTF situation a years worth of suitable fuel should be easy enough to liberate from your nearest commercial airfield (jet fuel) and of course, diesel engines don't have ignition circuits to be fried by emp.

OF COURSE if hho ACTUALLY WORKED, You could just run your bubbler (which only uses a few hundred watts at the most) off the generator... But then we'd all be off grid all the time. (forget running your car off HHO, your house can be run properly off a far smaller motor than your car needs...)

FB.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2014, 04:38:46 pm by Fruitbat »

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2014, 06:26:24 pm »
Allright, fruitbat, the proper way to hook in the generator is to wire in a junction switch between the meter base and the main breaker in the panel; the one I prefer to use has 2 disconnects, the first one connects the meter feed to the main breaker with a tie in to the second switch that connects my 240v feed from the generator...

power goes off, I open the first switch, disconnecting the mains from the circuit; fire up the generator then close the second switch which feeds the current into the panel; I have enough wattage to run my fridges and freezer, power the well pump, and have lights in a couple of rooms, all on a heavy enough wire to carry the load; I do cut several things off like the stove and hot water heater; don't have enough wattage unless I run both generators...

one other item is to use LED lighting as a backup; they draw little current but provide a lot of light; I have seen several places that use 12v led rope lights and are quite well lit;
I have a 12x24 canopy that I park the boat under and also use it for my cookout area; 3 led ropelights and 3 small strands of led lights give me ample light at night...

another option is to use a dual power refrigerator; most are set up for motor homes and campers, operate off 12v or propane with automatic switching; voltage drops, it switches to gas; motor running so voltage goes up, switches to electric again; works very well, and does not consume a lot of gas or battery juice...

seeker
Seekers Domain

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2014, 07:10:57 pm »
I have been pulled away from this thread for too long  8)

expedient shelter can be a necessary item when having to deal with storms or other chaos we encounter when away from home and in the situation where you are on your own; it's cold, wet, and you are getting tired...all you have is the items in your BOB and an hour or so before it gets dark...

I always have parachute cord and usually a length of light-weight nylon rope rolled up in the tarp in my pack; find a couple trees a few feet apart [6-8] and string the rope between them 4-5 feet off the ground;

fold the tarp over the rope and secure both ends; with an 12x12 that gives me enough room to sit or lie comfortably and have room for a small fire; I carry metal tent stakes to pin down the edges; 2 packs of them at wal-mart cost about 8 bucks and are worth it...

the ends of the tarp I will fold in to make a closed flap I can fasten with cord or plastic tie straps thru the grommets; it isn't pretty, but it does help keep the wind out and the heat in...
just remember to leave an opening for a smoke flap...

I use a space blanket for a ground cloth and with any luck can pick up enough limbs and branches to start and maintain a modest fire; try to avoid burning green wood if possible; you get a lot more smoke...

a few shavings of magnesium, some tinder and wood, and in no time I have warmth, i am in the dry, can heat food or drink, and rest with some protection from the elements...

seeker
« Last Edit: September 24, 2014, 06:31:47 pm by the seeker »
Seekers Domain

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2014, 07:10:17 pm »
I took a few minutes last night to take everything out of the bag i keep in my work truck and do inventory and discovered a few things i had forgotten about  8) must be old age creeping up on me...

in a small plastic tin i have a fishing tackle kit; just some hooks on leaders, weights, a small spool of line and a couple of floats, a multi-tool, and a small set of nail clippers...

in the same pocket there is also a compact set of binoculars and a magnifying glass, bottle of nail polish, super glue, a roll of electricians rubber tape...

Seekers Domain

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #42 on: September 24, 2014, 07:32:24 pm »
in a small plastic tin i have a fishing tackle kit; just some hooks on leaders, weights, a small spool of line and a couple of floats, a multi-tool, and a small set of nail clippers..

Resourceful addition to a small tin, good idea on that fishing kit  8)

I also have added a few tiny sea salt packets, and same raw cane sugar
packets enclosed in a thin sandwich ziploc. If one can find them, a few tiny
mylar packets of olive oil would a good addition. Add in some similar packets
of liquid soap, shampoo, ointments, and a few Emergen-C packs.
"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2016, 07:04:51 am »
my, how time flies; it has been 2 years since the last time I posted to this thread, and there have been a lot of changes since then...

back to expedient field shelter: location plays an important part in selecting your campsite especially in cold weather. A hilly area with trees is preferred to open or flat areas; cold air settles and warm rises so a nice spot midway between the high and low area is preferred. One thing to remember is Pine trees give off heat which is a plus, and a pile of pine straw makes a fairly comfortable mattress pad. A lot of your preps depend on if you are sheltering for just the night or for several days; for temporary use, try to find a large enough tree to be somewhat stable in windy conditions and with a medium sized limb within 3 or 4 feet of the ground that you can trim to put your tarp over,fastening that end to the tree. Scoop out a firepit at the other end and attempt to locate enough large stones to ring it with; these help to contain the flames and also serve to radiate heat once they become warm.

I try to keep a ziploc baggie full of dryer lint in my backpack for it makes excellent tinder when combined with a few magnesium shavings and will quickly start a fire even with damp wood ; even in rainy conditions most of the fallen limbs and tree trunks will be dry on the bottom side. Try to avoid lying directly on the ground if possible; a pile of leaves, pine straw, or fresh cut pine boughs covered with a ground cloth or a trash bag plus a thermal blanket will help insulate you and help retain body heat.

Seeker
Seekers Domain

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2016, 12:14:54 pm »
My wife thinks I'm crazy to save dryer lint...and I have a lot of it.

Vaseline-soaked cotton balls work pretty well, too.
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter