collapse

Author Topic: IT'S OVER! Judge dismisses case against Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and his sons  (Read 2007 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Judge dismisses case against Nevada rancher Cliven Bundy and his sons

Note:  When I get time later I will merge this with the original Bundy thread...

It started four years ago, when Cliven Bundy and his sons refused to pay federal grazing fees and stared down government agents in an armed standoff outside their Nevada ranch.

The Bundys dared the federal government to arrest them. The government did, charging them with a range of felonies.

On Monday, a federal judge in Las Vegas set them free.

The decision left federal prosecutors swallowing another defeat at the hands of a family whose defiance has become a rallying cry for Westerners who believe the federal government has no business managing public land. Four times now — in high-profile cases in Nevada and Oregon — the Bundy family and its allies have beaten the federal government in court.

For the latest showdown, supporters set up banners and signs on Las Vegas Boulevard. One drove from Montana to provide Facebook updates for devotees of the cause.

At least 100 Bundy backers filled the courtroom Monday. Some wore shirts with American flag motifs. Others carried pocket Constitutions in their button-down shirts. More than a few wore cowboy boots.

Their heroes sat looking up at U.S. District Judge Gloria Navarro. Cliven Bundy, 71, wore a jailhouse jumpsuit. His son Ryan, 44, who led a large group of supporters in prayer before entering the courtroom, removed his cowboy hat. Another son, Ammon, 42, and a militia member, Ryan Payne, barely moved.

It was their moment.

http://www.latimes.com/resizer/LqPUP_ApZ9VlSR9xQc81EbrycWM=/1200x0/www.trbimg.com/img-5a5574ab/turbine/la-na-bundy-mistrial-2018

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Too bad John Lear didn't have all that support when the BLM took over his mine (just up the road from the Bundy ranch) and sent in the bulldozers

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
from Facebook...

Ron Schmidt:

All those guns the BLM hired goons had and the oath keepers had and NOT ONE SHOT fired  :D

Julie M Prentice:

Someone died. So shots were fired.

Ron Schmidt:

As Julie mentioned above there was ONE death but that was in the Oregon incident not the Bundy Ranch standoff. So if you include that yes shots were fired.  That was Robert "LaVoy" Finicum who was shot by a zealous cop when he had his hands in the air. The FBI wasted no time in showing the videos of that from two angles

"FBI agent faces 5-count indictment in Finicum shooting investigation"

Alan Alan Friday · 3 mutual friends:

I watched this whole thing unfold.. it was sickening to watch.. and not just the shooting of Lavoy but the whole refuge situation.. and the BS the news was giving about it on TV.. making them out to be terrorists

Joe Resnick:

What's good for the Goose... is Good for the Gander..  Those dirty bastards..... Crooked...lying dirty bastards....hide behind a shield... Truth, Justice and the American Way....yeah, right... Bundy's had the right idea....

Ron Schmidt:

Don't forget that there was URANIUM on that Oregon Ranch property

Hammond Ranch sitting on precious metal, mineral, uranium, deposits which the BLM desperately wants

The Clintons: is the Oregon standoff really about uranium? Jan 27
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:44:37 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Randall Koller · Friends with John Lear:

Have they arrested democrat senator Harry Reid? He started the whole thing from a deal with China to turn the Bundy ranch and others into a solar farm with his son as the ceo of the project, talk about fascism

Ron Schmidt:

Ex Sen Harry was also recently mentioned in that phony Pentagon UFO release... seems they want to give him 'busy work' now that he is out of the senate. It also involved money transfers to Bigelow Aerospace. Robert is a decent chap and REALLY believes... (I feel he is being used by these snakes.) So far Robert has been "no comment" on that issue. I don't blame him

Eddie Allen · Friends with John Lear:

I swear that's bud Bundy all the way on the left and Kelly on the right

Ron Schmidt:

Randall Koller Well the solar farm was actually going to be near Laughlin Nv and the Chinese pulled out because of all the controversy so Harry lost 5 million :P That is likely why he was so bitter and called the Bundy's terrorists (which even shocked the FOX News interviewer. John lost his mine because Harry "forgot" to submit the paper work on time that John had sent in... Seems it got 'lost' on Harry's desk and passed the dead line. The area near Gold Butte has a modern freeway exit that goes to a dirt road... the plans for that land have to do with military land grabs

Randall Koller · Friends with John Lear:

oh yeah, I saw the BLM reports indicating all that land is thick with platinum and yellow cake

Karyn Shaundell · Friends with John Lear:

Thank goodness - that poor family has been persecuted from day one and its about time they got relief!
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:21:17 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
I have been informed that Rusty Hill was killed shortly after this video was released. I don't know if that is true but I have not been able to find a contact for him. If anyone has any info on his current whereabouts or can confirm his passing please let me know. His material and what John Lear and I have would go well together

Rusty mentions SANDIA as one of the reasons for the land grab...

John wasn't the one one

Government takes family's land near Area 51

LAS VEGAS - Private land overlooking the secret base at Area 51 has officially been taken from the owners and transferred to the United States Air Force.

Last month, the U.S. Air Force condemned the Groom Mine property when the family who owns it rejected a government buyout they felt was unjust.

The I-Team broke the story of the family's fight with the government.

The Sheahan family, which until now owned the mine, knew they faced an uphill fight. They also expected the government would probably take the land through eminent domain even though the Sheahan's owned it since Abe Lincoln was in the White House.

http://www.lasvegasnow.com/news/government-takes-familys-land-near-area-51/249903883

Family fighting land seizure accuses US of ‘bullying tactics’

Updated May 2, 2017 - 11:01 pm
A Nevada family fighting the U.S. Air Force over the eminent domain seizure of its property near the top-secret Area 51 base says that the service is also refusing to pay them for millions of dollars worth of antiques they were forced to abandon.

The Groom Mine antiques — including a 100-year-old blacksmith anvil, a 1929 Model A Ford, ore buckets and a 19th century steam engine — are worth millions of dollars, not the hundreds of thousands of dollars the federal government has said it will pay in total for the property relocation, according to documents filed in the ongoing land dispute in U.S. District Court in Las Vegas.

Joe Sheahan, spokesman for the family that owned the property since 1885, said Tuesday the government failed to include the value of the family’s artifacts in its appraisal, which valued the seized property at $333,300.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/military/family-fighting-land-seizure-accuses-us-of-bullying-tactics/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:26:08 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Alan Alan Friday · 3 mutual friends:

I don't get why anyone gave the angry face for a reaction

Ron Schmidt:

Neither do I unless it was one of those BLM hired goons  :P

Jim Garrett:

Three angry faces, 3 very confused and evidently mentally misguided individuals...

Ron Schmidt:

I bet all three work for Blackberry... the goons the BLM hired LOL  I know the BLM guys in that region... only one of those behind the guns actually worked for them :D And he was the one that ordered the stepping down :D Those other guys were OBVIOUSLY not park rangers but hired muscle :D

Joe Resnick:

The Bundy's were right to defend their property. BLM had no jurisdiction and were illegal in every action based on the doctrine of Posse Commitatus........The Posse Comitatus Act of 1878... This attack on citizens occurred when the USURPER, OBAMA had (illegally) seized the White House (with help of the [most corrupt]) DNC and its minions... They're God-Damned Lucky the BLM stopped when they did...because as Yamoto said; "there is a gun behind every blade of grass'. Most Americans are peace-loving people. We just want to be left alone...raise our kids, cook hamburgers on Saturday, and we don't want the Government telling us what to do. We want to plow our fields, grow our corn, sell our products on Saturday at the Flea Market, go to church on Sunday...and be left to chase our own 'vision' of the "American Dream". In the words from the Bogart movie, 'Treasure of the Sierra Madre'... "We don't need no stinkin' badges'!!!! The Bundy Family can be proud for standing up for what they believe-in and standing up for all of Rights' That's what they did, you know??? Through their resistance and strength...the Oligarchy collapsed...Obama was defeated...and America stands stronger now...than she ever has. We all pay the price and Freedom is not 'Free'. God Bless the Bundy Family and sincere thanks from Dr. Joseph A. Resnick, Inventor of Stealth Technology.

Ron Schmidt:

The really sick thing the BLM thugs did was herd and kill the cows using helicopters... same thing they did when they rounded up the Wild Burros. THIS is your tax dollars hard at work "protecting" YOUR public lands

« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 03:35:40 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
And here is Cliven Bundy standing in front of the "First Amendment Area" the BLM goons tried to enforce.

Really? Not even the Gestapo did that :P

‘Free speech zones’ at BLM cattle roundup put controversial areas in spotlight

Cliven Bundy walks by a first amendment area set up by the Bureau of Land Management near Bunkerville, Nev. Tuesday, April 1, 2014. The Bureau of Land Management has been closing off the Gold Butte area near Bunkerville in preparation to remove what they call "trespass cattle" that Bundy runs in the area. (John Locher/Las Vegas Review-Journal)

Mel Bundy, son of Cliven Bundy, takes a picture of a temporary closure sign on federal land 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas Tuesday, April 1, 2014. Cliven Bundy runs cattle on the land. The Bureau ...Mel Bundy, son of Cliven Bundy, takes a picture of a temporary closure sign on federal land 80 miles northeast of Las Vegas Tuesday, April 1, 2014. Cliven Bundy runs cattle on the land. The Bureau of Land Management has been closing off the Gold Butte area near Bunkerville in preparation to remove what they call "trespass cattle" that Bundy runs in the area. (John Locher/Las Vegas Review-Journal)

This is the road that leads in to the Gold Butte area where the Bundy  Ranch is and John's mine was at the end of that road

https://www.reviewjournal.com/local/local-nevada/free-speech-zones-at-blm-cattle-roundup-put-controversial-areas-in-spotlight/

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
The main reason this was such a big deal and why the Oath Keepers from Arizona, New Mexico and Texas got involved is that while in Nevada Bundy is the last rancher that has BLM grazing right (all the others signed off on a sucker deal), in Arizona, New Mexico and Texas they still have those rights...  So this is not only about the Bundy's

One of the claims made is that the cows disturb the Desert Tortoise (which is the excuse Harry Reid used to claim all that land around Gold Butte) yet the Bureau's own university studies proved that the cow paddies HELP the Desert Tortoise and because of this the cows are indirectly responsible for an INCREASE in Tortoise population because they eat the caow paddies and they retain a lot of water.

‘The more cows, the more tortoises’
June 22, 2008 - 9:00 pm

A May 14 editorial in the Review-Journal cited a portion of Vern Bostick’s study, “The Desert Tortoise in Relation to Cattle Grazing,” published in “Rangelands,” in June 1990.

This brought a letter from a newly arrived “expert” on the extent to which desert tortoises are allergic to having large ungulate grazers sharing their range, arguing that desert tortoises won’t use cow droppings to get nourishment or moisture no matter how desperate their straits, and that “All leading tortoise scientists agree that cattle grazing and tortoises don’t mix.”

I’m not a “leading tortoise scientist,” but I’ve been out on the range visiting with some of Nevada’s long-time, multi-generation ranchers, and those experts tell a different story.

Cliven Bundy, who grazes the Mesquite allotment, says he’s seen an exhaustive study compiled — at great expense and under federal orders — when the big Kern River natural gas pipeline was laid through Southern Nevada, counting the fewest tortoises in route miles where cattle and sheep hadn’t grazed in recent years; many times higher tortoise densities in areas where cattle still graze; and the highest tortoise density of all right here in the Las Vegas Valley — hardly evidence that this is some fragile creature endangered by the very presence of mankind and his infrastructure.

Seems like we might want to take a closer look at that document.

Not that such findings should come as any surprise. Cattle’s presence on the land benefits tortoises in many ways. Cattle mean ranchers, and ranchers make some effort to reduce the populations of coyotes and ravens, which are the tortoises’ main predators. Ranchers also clear out springs and pipe water to remote tanks, so both the ranchers themselves and their wandering cattle bring water to areas where deer, and doves, and quail — and especially tortoises, who can’t travel as far in a day as any of those species — would otherwise find none.

Finally, cattle graze down brush, reducing the severity of range fires and causing tender new shoots to grow in closer to ground level, where tortoises can more easily reach them.

Meantime, I talked to Vernon Bostick on the phone last week.

“They claim cow dung is ‘nutritionally deficient,’ Vern laughs. “It’s high in nitrogen and that’s USDA Bulletin No. 49. Cows absorb 20 percent, pass 80 percent of the nutrients through their system. And they graze stuff too tough for tortoises to masticate. …

“Each cow makes 12 deposits a day, and it’s 90 percent water,” Vern explains. “Remove the cattle and the tortoises are dependent on rainfall; they have to hold their urine …” which can result in illness and, eventually, death.

Mr. Bostick followed up with a lengthy letter.

“The tortoise fraternity will (try to) discredit what I write because I am not a herpetologist. Deciding if Nevada tortoises should be named as a distinct subspecies is herpetology. Managing animals on the range, wild and domestic, is range management. I am not encroaching on their field; they are encroaching on mine. And they are awfully short on clues. …

“Rob Mrowk in (his) letter to the editor opened his rebuttal of my 1987 report … with this statement: ‘All leading tortoise scientists agree that cattle grazing and tortoises don’t mix.’ whatever that means. …

“Before I offer my rebuttal of the above nonsense allow me to qualify myself as an expert witness. …”

Vern has a M.S. in biology from UNLV and a B.S. in range management from Colorado State. He wrote the text for a course in judging range condition and trend (whether the range is improving or deteriorating) taken by all U.S. Forest Service personnel working in Arizona and New Mexico.

“I will call History as my first rebuttal witness,” Vern writes. “Before there were any cattle grazing on the western range, the desert tortoise was extremely rare. The first Spanish explorers found roasted shells at old Indian camps but never saw a live tortoise. They concluded that this unique reptile was extinct. … Spanish colonists brought cattle with them. Cattle and tortoise have shared the same range for more than three centuries in some places and for more than a century everywhere. …

“The following quotation is from Kristin Berry’s ‘Tortoises for Tommorrow’:

” ‘Long-time desert residents in California notes extraordinary densities’ (in the early thirties … when cattle numbers peaked) ‘that could have been as high as 2,000 per square mile.’

“A member of the survey party in Antelope Valley in 1933 saw over 100 tortoises in one place at one time. He told Kristin Berry that tortoises ‘were everywhere … all over the ground’ (and so were cow pies.)

“From the early thirties to the mid eighties the number of cows grazing on federal range was reduced about 90 percent. … From the early thirties to the mid eighties tortoise densities declined from 2,000 per square mile to 65 i.e. 97 percent (Medica, oral communication) in response to reduced cattle grazing. Kristin Berry used this drastic reduction in tortoise population to get the desert tortoise listed as an endangered species. Then she used this listing to ‘get rid of the cows.’ Mission accomplished.

“History reveals a positive correlation between cattle and tortoise populations: the more cows on the range, the more tortoises, and with fewer cows there will be fewer tortoises. There is ample evidence that this correlation is a cause and effect relation.

“My 1987 report reviews all cases where cattle grazing was eliminated and tortoises had exclusive use of the range … In every case elimination of cattle grazing resulted in a smaller tortoise population.

“The most complete data is from the Beaver Dam Mountains. Woodbury and Hardy reported a tortoise population density of 150 per square mile in 1948. BLM reduced cattle grazing a few years later and eliminated cattle in 1970. Coombs reported a tortoise density of 39 per square mile in 1974. In these 26 years cattle use was reduced 100 percent and tortoise numbers were reduced 74 percent.

“These tortoises were doing so poorly a veterinarian, Dr. Jarchow, was consulted. He reported all six specimens were suffering from osteoporosis caused by a protein deficiency in their diet. Dr. Jarchow examined five specimens from the same mountains that shared their range with cattle. He reported these specimens were all healthy and well nourished. The historical record proves conclusively that tortoise thrive when cattle are on the range with them and without cattle grazing they are malnourished and unhealthy and their numbers plummet.

“The tortoise recovery program is based on a popular but false premise that the desert tortoise is endangered because of competition with cattle for forage,” Vern Bostick concludes. “The recovery team has had a lot of time and they have spent a lot of money. I think we should have an accounting. How many tortoise populations have they recovered and to what extent? Have any tortoise populations decreased since their program began? All new” (Southern Nevada) “home-buyers pay $500 into the recovery program. I believe they have a right to know what they are getting for their five hundred bucks.”

Sounds reasonable to me.

Vin Suprynowicz is assistant editorial page editor of the Review-Journal and author of “The Ballad of Carl Drega,” which contains a chapter on “The War for the Western Lands.” See www.vinsuprynowicz.com/.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/opinion/the-more-cows-the-more-tortoises/

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Las Vegas Metro Police arrive on the scene as supporters of rancher Cliven Bundy

When we saw the Las Vegas Metro Police bring out the Paddy Wagon Jail Buses we thought for sure this was the end of it... but as it turned out Metro came out in SUPPORT of the Bundy's  (They legally have no jurisdiction in Gold Butte Nevada 50 miles outside of Las Vegas anyway...

Dave Bundy, right, son of rancher Cliven Bundy, talks with a Metro Police officer while trying to get the BLM to release his cattle from their impound corral near Bunkerville on April 12, 2014. (J ...Dave Bundy, right, son of rancher Cliven Bundy, talks with a Metro Police officer while trying to get the BLM to release his cattle from their impound corral near Bunkerville on April 12, 2014. (Jason Bean/Las Vegas Review-Journal)

ONE person that was conspicously absent was Sheriff Gillespie, Sheriff of Nevada

Sheriff Gillespie was supposed to support (and took an oath to that effect as all Sheriff's do) "We the people" against a government assault. While the other sheriffs came to help, Sheriff Gillespie chose to remain silent, not get involved. The office of Sheriff takes an oath to protect the people from tyrannical government activity. Seems he committed political suicide over this.

Sheriff Gillespie won’t seek re-election

No candidate immediately announced an intention to run in the hours after Gillespie’s announcement but it is widely thought that Ted Moody, the recently retired assistant sheriff, is eyeing a run.

Moody oversaw changes to the department’s Use of Force Review Board after a federal review of use-of-force policies and publication of a Review-Journal series, “Deadly Force,” a yearlong investigation of police shootings. Both the Justice Department and the newspaper found the board lacked transparency and didn’t hold officers accountable.

The changes were aimed at examining the totality of the officer’s actions rather than simply issuing a blanket approval or rare disapproval. Before the board changes, no officer in an on-duty shooting was ever recommended for firing. Since the changes, there have been two: Jacquar Roston and Jesus Arevalo, who shot and killed mentally ill Gulf War veteran Stanley Gibson in December 2011.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/courts/sheriff-gillespie-wont-seek-re-election/
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 04:01:33 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
One year later, authorities mum as Bundy celebrates
By HENRY BREAN LAS VEGAS REVIEW-JOURNAL
April 9, 2015 - 5:49 pm

Starting Friday, the Liberty Celebration outside Bunkerville, 80 miles north of Las Vegas, will feature live music, cowboy poetry and speeches from the Bundys’ sovereign-state supporters.

Meanwhile, almost nothing is being said by those who found themselves on the other side of the standoff that ended one year ago Sunday, when the Bureau of Land Management hastily cancelled its roundup and let Bundy retrieve his impounded cattle.

Since then, BLM officials in Nevada and Washington, D.C., have repeatedly declined to answer specific questions about what happened last year and what could happen next. The agency responded to inquiries this week with the following statement: “The Bureau of Land Management remains resolute in addressing issues involved in efforts to gather Mr. Bundy’s cattle last year and we are pursuing the matter through the legal system. Our primary goal remains, as it was a year ago, to resolve this matter safely and according to the rule of the law.”

https://www.reviewjournal.com/news/bundy-blm/one-year-later-authorities-mum-as-bundy-celebrates/

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter