collapse

Author Topic: ISS moves to avoid space trash  (Read 7030 times)

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
Re: ISS moves to avoid space trash
« Reply #15 on: September 18, 2017, 09:25:15 am »
I believe if you dig a little deeper, the shuttle windows were replaced while the shuttles were on the ground, fans;

it would be utterly surprising to find that each orbiter carried extra windows...

Seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline fansongecho

• We search by night and day -
  • Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 05:33:18 pm »

Hi Seeker, so the space shuttle had the windows replaced 80 times, Ok, I get that.. when back on earth  :) 

In a 135 missions in 30 years .. https://www.space.com/12376-nasa-space-shuttle-program-facts-statistics.html

Quite a high impact rate ..

The International Space Station has been orbiting since approximately 1998 ? I think? . looking at YT, the modular assembly looks to be feasible enough -

My curiosity is aroused though, why if in 19 years don't NASA report how much external damage the ISS has had due to micro-meteorites/space debris? there are a number of meteor showers through the year it would appear?

I understand the ISS has a lot of Kevlar armour .. but I am really bugged by the windows..  no damage ?? no replacement ?? Hhhmmmm....  :o

https://www.timeanddate.com/astronomy/meteor-shower/

http://earthsky.org/astronomy-essentials/earthskys-meteor-shower-guide

https://www.bing.com/search?q=meteor+showers&refig=f98060d23639417ad3b239a2c6d7c5c1&first=21&FORM=PORE

I am also interested in why there is little reporting of the damage to the ISS, and why in all the videos of the pictures of earth from the ISS when there are meteorite storms, why don't they stream live images of the storms from the ISS?

Also I do wonder why when camera technology is now so good, why we don't get some amazing videos of the star field outside the ISS? when they are filming the earth from the ISS windows the images are not exactly breath-taking in my humble opinion  :o

I am not convinced that the ISS has the capability to survive the hostilities of space.

I am also not convinced there is a ISS -

Respectfully  ;D  ::)

Fansongecho  ;D

Offline fansongecho

• Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2017, 10:35:54 pm »
This is fairly good YT link

:)

Worth a watch -

« Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 10:57:16 pm by fansongecho »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2017, 06:03:44 am »
I am also interested in why there is little reporting of the damage to the ISS, and why in all the videos of the pictures of earth from the ISS when there are meteorite storms, why don't they stream live images of the storms from the ISS?
They are on the other side of the atmosphere, I don't know if meteorites are as visible as when seen from below.

Also I do wonder why when camera technology is now so good, why we don't get some amazing videos of the star field outside the ISS? when they are filming the earth from the ISS windows the images are not exactly breath-taking in my humble opinion  :o
As far as I know, the ISS doesn't have special cameras, the photos we see are taken by the astronauts with common cameras.

I am also not convinced there is a ISS -
What's that thing I see from time to time?

Offline fansongecho

• Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2017, 04:15:42 pm »

No quotes from me -

@ ArMAP - you can see the ISS that "orbits" some 250 miles over our heads - http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/International_Space_Station/Where_is_the_International_Space_Station

You can see this with the naked eye?.. 

When I used to track B52's at 30,000 feet with a number of electro-optical system they were very hard to resolve without a lot of effort..  they did come into focus - but against a clear background - when I looked outside on very clear nights with my Eyeball Mark-1 to observe the flights I could only make out the contrails of said B-52's... these guys were 6 miles above me...   

I tried on a number of occasions to use the systems available to track some of the low EO satellites that were up there, specifically the, as then Soviet "Ferret" assets..  with no joy  :o   sad case, maybe I was a poor operator  :-\

So for the record I am say in MY HUMBLE and HONEST OPINON I don't believe there is a ISS ...   I could be HUGELY WRONG of course  :) :)

Are the forums on here just for group think??  are we supposed to follow those with the most GOLD?? 

I am not dissing or saying any of you more experienced are wrong OR right , I like to see and value the views of others on here ..  but I do get a certain impression  :-\ :-\

Anyhoo...  catch you all later. I have to go and see what Sgt Rocknroll is saying on another thread..

Respectfully.

Fansongecho  8)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2017, 04:51:18 pm »
@ ArMAP - you can see the ISS that "orbits" some 250 miles over our heads - http://www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human_Spaceflight/International_Space_Station/Where_is_the_International_Space_Station

You can see this with the naked eye?.. 
Yes, sometimes, when it's still in the sun light but it's already night on the ground, those big solar panels reflect a lot of light. I get email alerts telling me when it's going to be visible.

So for the record I am say in MY HUMBLE and HONEST OPINON I don't believe there is a ISS ...   I could be HUGELY WRONG of course  :) :)
I suppose the 7 "space tourists" that stayed at the ISS will disagree. :)

Are the forums on here just for group think??  are we supposed to follow those with the most GOLD??
Only if you want to. I don't even look at that useless "gold" thing. :)

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2017, 06:11:43 am »

well believe it or don't there are a lot of ways to watch it..

i have gotten the co ordinates and watched something cross the sky when they said it would..pretty easy to spot when you know where to look

maybe it's just a really good test of a hologram and what can be sold to the humans..? ?  ?   :-\

and opinions are great things as long as they don't cause you to throw stones at others who have a different one

Current position of the ISS
iss.astroviewer.net/ The current position of the ISS and its ground track.
‎Observation · ‎Contact · ‎FAQ · ‎Links

ISS Tracker 3D - International Space Station - REAL TIME TRACKING
www.satflare.com/track.asp?q=25544 Install our 3D tracker for Android devices and you have just to point your phone to the sky and follow the line to find the ISS. You can also track the Station 24 ...

LIVE REAL TIME SATELLITE TRACKING AND PREDICTIONS ...
www.n2yo.com/?s=25544 SATELLITES TRACKING POWERFUL HURRICANE MARIA FROM SPACE - A .... “Yesterday [on Sunday], the cosmonauts on the ISS received an 'alert' signal, ...

Spot the International Space Station with New NASA Tool - Space.com
https://www.space.com › Skywatching Nov 8, 2016 - ... completes multiple orbits around Earth every day, and now you can track the space lab ... The Instagram Space Station: Amazing ISS Photos.

ISS Detector Satellite Tracker - Android Apps on Google Play
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.runar.issdetector&hl=en
 Rating: 4.6 - ‎81,786 votes - ‎Free
Have you seen the International Space Station? It is visible with the naked eye! This is the easiest way to spot the station. ISS Detector will tell you when and ...

Where is the International Space Station? - ESA
www.esa.int/Our_Activities/Human.../Where_is_the_International_Space_Station ESA uses cookies to track visits to our website only, no personal information is collected. By continuing to use the site .... Building the ISS · App Store · Subscribe ...

ISS Spotter on the App Store - iTunes - Apple
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/iss-spotter/id523486350?mt=8
 Rating: 4.9 - ‎40 reviews - ‎Free - ‎iOS - ‎Educational
Dec 20, 2016 - The most downloaded ISS spotting app on iOS! > 5 star rating > Used by astronauts and astronomers > No ads. 100% functionality in the free ...

How to spot ISS in your sky | Human World | EarthSky
earthsky.org/human-world/how-to-spot-the-international-space-station Nov 5, 2016 - Every so often, you can see the ISS in your night sky. ... And now, a new map-based feature makes it track when to look for the station as it flies ...
Searches related to tracking the iss

Offline fansongecho

• Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2017, 04:54:15 pm »

Thanks for the info Space Otter  :)

Top links - I will have a look at them this weekend and maybe if the ISS is in the far northern hemisphere I may catch a glimpse of the thing ?

Did you see the link on the cupola window shielding btw? :-\

Cheers,

Fansongecho  :)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2017, 05:17:22 pm »
Did you see the link on the cupola window shielding btw? :-\
What's the problem with the window shielding? I don't get it.  ???

Offline fansongecho

• Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #24 on: September 21, 2017, 12:21:03 am »

The physical mechanism -

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #25 on: September 21, 2017, 01:18:39 am »
Similar mechanisms have been used for a long time in submarines, and the difference in pressure in a submarine is bigger than in space, as in space you have only a difference of 1 atmosphere between the inside and the outside of a craft, while on a submarine the difference is bigger than 1 atmosphere at depths bigger than 1 metre.

Offline fansongecho

• Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2017, 04:24:50 am »

I was thinking of the temperature differential between outer-space, the mechanism and the internal temperature of the ISS, how robust is the rubber in the O rings to extreme cold?

I seem to recall that a O ring that had degraded due to extremes of temperature caused the catastrophic failure of one of the SRB's on the Challenger Shuttle disaster -

Although that in itself has a "conspiracy" surrounding it -

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #27 on: September 21, 2017, 12:07:29 pm »
I was thinking of the temperature differential between outer-space, the mechanism and the internal temperature of the ISS, how robust is the rubber in the O rings to extreme cold?
OK, that makes sense.

I seem to recall that a O ring that had degraded due to extremes of temperature caused the catastrophic failure of one of the SRB's on the Challenger Shuttle disaster -
I had to look it up, as that's a topic I never got interested into, and it looks like the fault was not on the O rings, another part failed and the combustion gases hit the O rings, that were not made to work at the extremely high temperatures of the combustion gases.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter