collapse

Author Topic: AI Robots more dangerous than Nukes?  (Read 20364 times)

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
Re: AI Robots more dangerous than Nukes?
« Reply #60 on: August 06, 2014, 08:08:28 pm »
at what point is ai dangerous.
it doesnt have to be sentient,only dangerous.
then there are the hackers.there is absolutely nothing that cant be hacked.
plus there is the people we put our trust in.they cant be trusted.congress is a good example of this.
what will happen to the fines?
they will be used to make the system worse.
if an ai read and obeyed the laws on the books,we would all be executed.
the terrorism laws are too broadly defined.technically speaking each and every american is a terrorist.
fines and tickets stress people out.this leads to more heart attacks and cancer.so it could be said that ai is already killing more folks then all the nuclear fallout from all the bombs,we may already be there.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #61 on: August 07, 2014, 06:41:16 am »
Hi Petrus, nice to see you back, maybe some are not so happy, but you provide a good argument my freind,

Thanks PWM.  As for those who aren't happy; haters will hate. ;)

I agree, but this is no longer mainframe-based, the true G**gle version is much closer, it is a datamine coupled to a self-learning A.I. program. That in itself is inherently dangerous, without any set of guidelines such as Asimov's rules.

The irony with Asimov's rules, is that they were actually meant to be broken.  He came up with those rules for the express purpose of then writing stories in which robots violated them.  Unfortunately, there are apparently a large number of people working in robotics, who are unaware of that.  I could also write a long rant about the inherent stupidity of entire branches of research being primarily based on science fiction, which in turn was often based on LSD trips, but I'm sure I don't need to.  You probably get the point.

First of all we have to define real 'sentience' because i can program a robot to kill everything that it percieves as a problem,it can identify freind or foe, take evasive action or form alliances with other robots in order to survive. Explore & conquer, is the basic command in that program, which is less than 10 lines of code.
It beat the CG tanks 9:1... need i say more?

Makes sense.  If you want to write something smart, you don't use large individual programs.  The size of your individual subroutines should actually be as small and as simple as possible.  I only really found that out when I started reading about FORTH.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Sinny

• Gold 305
  • Think In, Out and Around The Box.
« Reply #62 on: August 07, 2014, 07:56:01 am »
Unfortunately, there are apparently a large number of people working in robotics, who are unaware of that.  I could also write a long rant about the inherent stupidity of entire branches of research being primarily based on science fiction, which in turn was often based on LSD trips, but I'm sure I don't need to. 

I'd like to hear that rant  :D
"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society"- JFK

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #63 on: August 07, 2014, 08:50:20 am »
I'd like to hear that rant  :D

Well, when I actually think about it, Sinny, said rant would not need to be that long.  You may or may not be aware that both Philip K. Dick and William Gibson were LSD users, and both also drew inspiration from their LSD experiences, for their writings.  The problem with this, is that we then have fields of research which seriously hold a high degree of reverence for said writings, when said writings were fiction.  In other words, we have people basing their careers on attempting to create a scenario which was never real in the first place, and which has an extremely questionable level of real value even if it were tangible reality.

I don't like transhumanism.  What I particularly do not like about it, however, is the fact that most of its' assumptions are viewed as implicit givens, and are barely even consciously acknowledged at all, let alone critically analysed.  One such base level assumption, is the idea that anything mechanical is pretty much always going to be inherently superior, more desirable, and more controllable, than anything organic or biological.  I do not always disagree with this idea, but I certainly do not always agree with it, either.

Another big problem with transhumanism is the failure to acknowledge that a lot of the time, organic methods of doing things are vastly simpler than attempting to create mechanical analogies.  These days you have rabid male misogynists on 4chan who talk about looking forward to synthetic sex dolls with artificial wombs, because of the degree of rejection that they have often experienced from real women, and the degree of resentment they feel because of that.

So we have a scenario where modernity has created the problem, (male and female alienation from each other, primarily because of Frankfurt School indoctrination of the society) and where modernity proposes to engage in much more unnecessary complexity, to create an artificial solution.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Sinny

• Gold 305
  • Think In, Out and Around The Box.
« Reply #64 on: August 07, 2014, 09:17:30 am »
Yes, I'm against Transhumanism also.

Having said that, who was it that said "if it can be imagined, it can be created".. ?

Mehh... We're living in strange times, for sure.
"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society"- JFK

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #65 on: August 07, 2014, 12:03:13 pm »
I am neither pro nor anti transHumanism.  I believe that if One WANTS to transHumanize Oneself, One should have that option.  As long as the three Laws of Ethics are kept...  I believe no One should be forced into transHumanism either.  Just keep the Laws.

What I am against is some taking power away from Others, forcing Them to do or be anything.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #66 on: August 07, 2014, 01:59:13 pm »
It is FAR easier to understand a machine and programs than biological processes. This is why it is far easier to give you an artificial arm than given a treatment to grow a new one. We don't even properly know how to define death or life (With the exception of Matrix maybe).  :P

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215

Dumbledore

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #68 on: August 08, 2014, 04:43:12 am »
Tiny chip mimics brain, delivers supercomputer speed

"We have taken inspiration from the cerebral cortex to design this chip," said IBM chief scientist for brain-inspired computing, Dharmendra Modha, referring to the command center of the brain.

He said existing computers trace their lineage back to machines from the 1940s which are essentially "sequential number-crunching calculators" that perform mathematical or "left brain" tasks but little else.

The new chip dubbed "TrueNorth" works to mimic the "right brain" functions of sensory processing—responding to sights, smells and information from the environment to "learn" to respond in different situations, Modha said.

It accomplishes this task by using a huge network of "neurons" and "synapses," similar to how the human brain functions by using information gathered from the body's sensory organs.

The researchers designed TrueNorth with one million programmable neurons and 256 million programmable synapses, on a chip with 4,096 cores and 5.4 billion transistors.

A key to the performance is the extremely low energy use on the new chip, which runs on the equivalent energy of a hearing-aid battery

The project funded by the US Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) published its research in a cover article on the August 8 edition of the journal Science.

The researchers say TrueNorth in some ways outperforms today's supercomputers although a direct comparison is not possible because they operate differently.

But they wrote that TrueNorth can deliver from 46 billion to 400 billion "synaptic" calculations per second per watt of energy. That compares with the most energy-efficient supercomputer which delivers 4.5 billion "floating point" calculations per second and per watt.

The chip was fabricated using Samsung's 28-nanometer process technology.

"It is an astonishing achievement to leverage a process traditionally used for commercially available, low-power mobile devices to deliver a chip that emulates the human brain by processing extreme amounts of sensory information with very little power," said Shawn Han of Samsung Electronics, in a statement.

"This is a huge architectural breakthrough that is essential as the industry moves toward the next-generation cloud and big-data processing."

Modha said the researchers have produced only the chip and that it could be years before commercial applications become available.

But he said it "has the potential to transform society" with a new generation of computing technology. And he noted that hybrid computers may be able to one day combine the "left brain" machines with the new "right brain" devices for even better performance.

http://phys.org/news/2014-08-tiny-chip-mimics-brain-supercomputer.html

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #69 on: August 08, 2014, 05:54:17 am »
28 nanometer?
my laser is 445nm.thats blue light,
this chip sounds badass but would probably have serious problems with magnetic fields.even a charge from a dust particle would short it out.
im sure it would be insulated from all that though.
i bet alot of the speed comes from just being a very small chip.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2014, 05:56:09 am by robomont »

Dumbledore

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #70 on: August 08, 2014, 08:17:03 am »
That's why CPU's reside in a sealed chip with just leads exposed to the mainboard.   :P

sky otter

« Reply #71 on: August 08, 2014, 11:52:57 am »

bwahahahahah  robots smobots...I know a few folk who would benefit from having this chip in their heads

http://news.msn.com/science-technology/ibm-unveils-brain-like-chip-that-can-interpret-complex-data

IBM unveils 'brain-like' chip that can interpret complex data
19 hr ago | By Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - International Business Machines Corp unveiled a "brain-like" computer chip on Thursday that is the size of a postage stamp and capable of processing massive amounts of data while handling inputs from many different sources, the company said.

The announcement comes one month after IBM unveiled a $3 billion (£1.78 billion) investment over the next five years in chip research and development to find a game-changing breakthrough that can help revive its slumping hardware unit.

Unlike most chips, which operate on pre written paths, IBM's version processes data in realtime and is capable of dealing with ambiguity, the company said. It runs on the energy equivalent of a hearing aid.

Built on Samsung Electro-Mechanics Co Ltd's 28nm process technology, the chip only consumes 70mW of energy.

A product of almost a decade of research, the chip aims to bridge the divide between existing computers and the brain's high cognitive power and low energy use.

"After years of collaboration with IBM, we are now a step closer to building a computer similar to our brain," said Professor Rajit Manohar at Cornell Tech, where the chip was designed.

The chip contains one million programmable neurons and could allow a thermometer to scan and smell chemical signals and deliver a diagnosis, or help a search and rescue robot to identify people in need during a disaster, the company said.

IBM hopes it can integrate multi-sensory processing into mobile devices(are  robots mobile devices.)  ::).and says the chip can handle future advances in memory, 3G integration, logic and sensor technologies.

(Reporting by Marina Lopes. Editing by Andre Grenon)

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2014, 07:25:32 am »
So I have to wonder...when they say "Programmable Neurons" do they mean synthetic machine neurons or actual brain matter to create a bio-hybrid?

In a few years if we are still having those BSOD's (Blue Screens of Death for you non-techies) on our PC's I wonder what that will do to the chips? Is that going to be more like the PC having a brain seizure than an error? Humans make errors and keep on going.  :P

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 02:07:09 pm by Ellirium113 »

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #73 on: October 15, 2017, 11:45:36 pm »
So at this point IBM's Watson has beaten all competitors at Jeopardy (after installing a real time feedback loop of the correct answers won so far in a category, what an amazingly simple fix).

And computers have long since beaten all humans at chess.

But now we see AI robots with not only amazingly sophisticated interaction skills, but physical reactions to match. The results are pretty astounding.

Behold the future -

« Last Edit: October 16, 2017, 12:32:17 am by A51Watcher »

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #74 on: October 16, 2017, 07:21:46 pm »

I saw one interview with Sophia, where she mentioned as she gets smarter, she would like to get a job.

Perhaps as an instructor, or helping sick people, or maybe a programmer writing code for AI.

:o

AI code re- writing itself is already a reality.

It will soon pass a point where we are no longer capable of understanding the complex changes it implements in the code.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter