collapse

Author Topic: Alert: R&D Documents - "Treatment & Disposal Of Radioactive Waste At Fukushima"  (Read 14932 times)

Offline this_is_who_we_are

• Command Duty Officer
  • Gold 32
R&D on Treatment and Disposal of Radioactive Waste resulting from Accident at Fukushima Daiichi NPS

Reprinted by kind permission:

by Citizenperth
User ID: 66515138
Australia
07/17/2015 11:04 PM
http://www.godlikeproductions.com/forum1/message2906776/pg1#51237268

Here are isotopes of interest from the Fukushima Daiichi man made nuclear disaster.

This is what has polluted the Pacific, caused extinction events and will continue to, and the industry has nothing but profit for it all.

The following radionuclides are selected referring to the radionuclides for evaluation in the existing disposal system (see page 13 of documents below from the first source link):

gamma;-ray nuclide : 60Co, 94Nb, 137Cs, 152Eu, 154Eu

beta;-ray nuclide : 3H, 14C, 36Cl, 41Ca, 59Ni, 63Ni, 79Se, 90Sr, 99Tc, 129I, 241Pu

alpha;-ray nuclide : 233, 234, 235, 236, 238U, 237Np, 238,239,240,242Pu, 241,242m,243Am, 244,245,246Cm

Sources:

http://irid.or.jp/_pdf/20150421_2.pdf
http://irid.or.jp/en/reports/

Special thanks to D'un Renard and Richard Wood

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Alpha particles mean we are all dead and there's nothing we can do about it:

Due to the short range of absorption and inability to penetrate the outer layers of skin, alpha particles are not, in general, dangerous to life unless the source is ingested or inhaled, in which case they become extremely dangerous.[5] Because of this high mass and strong absorption, if alpha-emitting radionuclides do enter the body (upon being inhaled, ingested, or injected, as with the use of Thorotrast for high-quality X-ray images prior to the 1950s), alpha radiation is the most destructive form of ionizing radiation. It is the most strongly ionizing, and with large enough doses can cause any or all of the symptoms of radiation poisoning. It is estimated that chromosome damage from alpha particles is anywhere from 10 to 1000 times greater than that caused by an equivalent amount of gamma or beta radiation, with the average being set at 20 times. The powerful alpha emitter polonium-210 (a milligram of 210Po emits as many alpha particles per second as 4.215 grams of 226Ra) is suspected of playing a role in lung cancer and bladder cancer related to tobacco smoking.[6] 210Po was used to kill Russian dissident and ex-FSB officer Alexander V. Litvinenko in 2006.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alpha_particle#Biological_effects

Nineteen radioisotopes of americium have been characterized, with the most stable being 243Am with a half-life of 7,370 years

Americium-243
Americium-243 has a mass of 243.06138 g/mol and a half-life of 7,370 years, the longest lasting of all americium isotopes. It is formed in the nuclear fuel cycle by neutron capture on plutonium-242 followed by beta decay.[14] Production increases exponentially with increasing burnup as a total of 5 neutron captures on 238U are required.

It decays by either emitting an alpha particle (with a decay energy of 5.27MeV)[14] to become 239Np, which then quickly decays to 239Pu, or infrequently, by spontaneous fission.[15]

243Am is a hazardous substance, because it can cause cancer. 239Np, which is formed from 243Am, emits dangerous gamma rays, making 243Am the most dangerous isotope of Americium.

- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Isotopes_of_americium

- http://irid.or.jp/_pdf/20150421_2.pdf

« Last Edit: July 17, 2015, 11:02:37 pm by this_is_who_we_are »
"The uninitiated perceive time with no appreciation of the beginning. And no understanding of the end. To them time is an infinite commodity. We know better and we will not waste a second of it. This is who we are."

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Here are isotopes of interest from the Fukushima Daiichi man made nuclear disaster.

This is what has polluted the Pacific, caused extinction events and will continue to, and the industry has nothing but profit for it all.
Could you provide evidence that those isotopes are being found in the Pacific? I could only see them listed on the list of isotopes to look for on the samples taken from the area around the reactor, but I didn't read the whole PDF.

Alpha particles mean we are all dead and there's nothing we can do about it:
Seeing that we aren't dead I suppose there aren't that much alpha particles being absorbed.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
MOST EXCELLENT!

And for those who desire more information:

How Radioactive is Our Ocean?

In August, Tepco admitted that a cumulative 20 trillion to 40 trillion becquerels of radioactive tritium had “probably” leaked into the Pacific Ocean since the disaster; the legal limit of radiation in water is 30 becquerels per liter.

Japan recently agreed to accept the help from France, which will help decommission and dismantle the crippled nuclear reactors at Fukushima. Russia, which originally offered to help Japan contain the Fukushima nuclear disaster (and again recently renewed its offer), is still waiting to be taken up on its offer.

But while Chernobyl and Fukushima were the only two nuclear disasters to measure Level 7 on the International Nuclear Event Scale, Chernobyl only contained 180 tons of nuclear material prior to the catastrophe; comparatively, Fukushima contained 1,760 tons of nuclear material.

Fukushima Radiation Now A Global Disaster: Japan Finally Asks World For Help, Two Years Too Late

With great respect,
tfw
Peace Love Light
Liberty & Equality or Revolution

Hec'el oinipikte  (that we shall live)

FUKUSHIMA FALLOUT CLOCK
Elapsed Time since March 11, 2011, 2:46 PM - Fukushima, Japan

The World Must Take Charge at Fukushima

“In a time of universal deceit
telling the truth is considered a revolutionary act."

George Orwell
« Last Edit: February 28, 2017, 02:00:58 pm by thorfourwinds »
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
How Radioactive is Our Ocean?
the legal limit of radiation in water is 30 becquerels per liter.
OK, how many litres does the Pacific ocean has?
According to NOAA, the Pacific ocean has 660,000,000 km3, equivalent to 6.6e+20 litres, so 40 trillion becquerels (40,000,000,000,000? We don't use billions and trillions like the US uses) on the Pacific ocean represent something like 6.1e-8=0.00000061 becquerels per liter, so I doubt it will negatively affects distant areas of the Pacific ocean. Around that area is a different story.

PS: I do not guarantee that the results of my calculations are correct. :)

• Command Duty Officer
  • Gold 32
Could you provide evidence that those isotopes are being found in the Pacific? I could only see them listed on the list of isotopes to look for on the samples taken from the area around the reactor, but I didn't read the whole PDF.

I'll hop on a plane, then a boat, and head out there with the required equipment ASAP. Give me a few weeks. *chuckles*

Seeing that we aren't dead I suppose there aren't that much alpha particles being absorbed.

243Am has a half-life of 7,370 years, so give it some time. It's a slow-motion extinction level event. But it is without a doubt an extinction level event. *not laughing so much now*

"The uninitiated perceive time with no appreciation of the beginning. And no understanding of the end. To them time is an infinite commodity. We know better and we will not waste a second of it. This is who we are."

• Command Duty Officer
  • Gold 32

OK, how many litres does the Pacific ocean has?
According to NOAA, the Pacific ocean has 660,000,000 km3, equivalent to 6.6e+20 litres, so 40 trillion becquerels (40,000,000,000,000? We don't use billions and trillions like the US uses) on the Pacific ocean represent something like 6.1e-8=0.00000061 becquerels per liter, so I doubt it will negatively affects distant areas of the Pacific ocean. Around that area is a different story.

PS: I do not guarantee that the results of my calculations are correct. :)

I doubt it will negatively affects distant areas of the Pacific ocean?

Really. Haven't you been paying attention over the last 4 years?
If not, then here's the latest U.S. West Coast "head scratcher".
Scientists have been "baffled" by these mass die offs for four years.
What's so hard to understand?

Unprecedented emergency statewide fishing closures enacted in Pacific Northwest — “We’ve never had to do anything like this” — “Very alarming” mass die-offs linked to disease outbreak — Nearly 100% infection rate in some areas — Rotting gills, distended bellies — NOAA: It’s a ‘head scratcher’
Published: July 17th, 2015 at 2:26 pm ET
By ENENews
http://enenews.com/emergency-statewide-fishing-closures-pacific-northwest-unprecedented-weve-never-anything-like-before-disease-causing-very-alarming-mass-die-100-infection-rate-areas-rotting-gills-distended

A head-scratcher, eh? Disease outbreak, huh? Okeedokee.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
I'll hop on a plane, then a boat, and head out there with the required equipment ASAP. Give me a few weeks. *chuckles*
So, does that mean that you were just repeating what other people said, without any supporting data?

243Am has a half-life of 7,370 years, so give it some time. It's a slow-motion extinction level event. But it is without a doubt an extinction level event. *not laughing so much now*
If it is a "slow-motion extinction level event" then it's not a consequence of alpha particles being eaten, as your post implies, as that results in a relatively quick death.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Really. Haven't you been paying attention over the last 4 years?
If not, then here's the latest U.S. West Coast "head scratcher".
Scientists have been "baffled" by these mass die offs for four years.
What's so hard to understand?
Is that proved as being a result of radiation? Or all bad things that happen in the Pacific now are automatically branded as a result of Fukushima?

Facts, please. :)

PS: that ENENews link is about the drought and high temperatures affecting rivers in that area, it has no direct relation to radiation. The 100% infection rate they talk about is infection by a parasite, ceratomyxa shasta.

• Command Duty Officer
  • Gold 32
INTERMISSION

Are you down with the sickness?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o39etJFlW7k[/youtube]

Have you had your lungs checked out with X Rays?

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j53VGZnW4fU[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 01:41:53 pm by this_is_who_we_are »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
I prefer the original. :)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=09LTT0xwdfw[/youtube]

• Command Duty Officer
  • Gold 32

Facts, please. :)

Fact is - three cores are missing, radioactive waste in untold amounts has been spewing into the Pacific for 4 years and everyone is basically saying it's really nothing to worry about. Is that the side of the argument you're on? Nothing to worry about. If you're ok with that, then so am I.

Meanwhile, back at the adult table...

space otter

snide remarks about those who do NOT agree with you or ASK you to prove your statements
will certainly keep YOU from the adult table

you should change your name to
this is who I am

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Fact is - three cores are missing, radioactive waste in untold amounts has been spewing into the Pacific for 4 years and everyone is basically saying it's really nothing to worry about. Is that the side of the argument you're on?
No, but I don't accept something just because someone says so.

The leak of radioactive material is a serious matter, and I'm sure that locally it has had more effects than we are told, but things like pointing to salmon dying in rivers of the west coast of the US as if it was a direct result of the leak is something for which I would like to see facts, otherwise it's just another case of fear-mongering.

Nothing to worry about. If you're ok with that, then so am I.
Fear? No. Worry, yes, but not much.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
ArMaP:
...so I doubt it will negatively affects distant areas of the Pacific ocean

YOU doubt? Based on what?

Certainly not your continued research the past four years, based on your non-participation in THE definitive thread(s) on Fukushima on your home base, AboveTopSecret.

Or for that matter, here on Pegasus.    :P

Fact is - three cores are missing, radioactive waste in untold amounts has been spewing into the Pacific for 4 years and everyone is basically saying it's really nothing to worry about. Is that the side of the argument you're on?

No, but I don't accept something just because someone says so.

1) Three cores are missing

2) Radioactive waste in untold amounts has been spewing into the Pacific for 4 years

3) everyone is basically saying it's really nothing to worry about

Gentlepersons, let's attempt to keep this somewhat civil, or not, your choice.

I was personally recruited by Zorgon to come here and anchor the 'DENY NUCLEAR' forum.

And fully expected to encounter less-informed 'Fukushima Denier's, and be attacked by same.

So be it.

Our Fukushima threads are based on facts and facts cannot be denied.

OK, ArMaP, on each of the above itemized statements, do you agree or not agree with each one, if you please?

Thank you for your time and consideration.

With great respect,
tfw
Peace Love Light
Liberty & Equality or Revolution

Hec'el oinipikte  (that we shall live)

FUKUSHIMA FALLOUT CLOCK
Elapsed Time since March 11, 2011, 2:46 PM - Fukushima, Japan

The World Must Take Charge at Fukushima

“In a time of universal deceit
telling the truth is considered a revolutionary act."

George Orwell
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

• Command Duty Officer
  • Gold 32

snide remarks about those who do NOT agree with you or ASK you to prove your statements
will certainly keep YOU from the adult table

you should change your name to
this is who I am

Yes, that was an error on my part.

And so, to ArMaP and the forum in general - an apology.

I have no excuse to have stooped to the level I exhibited earlier.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter