collapse

Author Topic: Basic survival prep 101: the bug out bag  (Read 11820 times)

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
Re: Basic survival prep 101: the bug out bag
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2014, 10:02:36 am »
Of course, a lot of people have been thinking about this for a long time! Just for information on what others suggest and are doing to be "prepared, there are tons of youtube videos that address this subject. And the many videos are good sources for information that we each can use in deciding our own emergency/survival needs.

Obviously, some of the videos are amateurish, while others are more professionally done. To view, just put into the youtube search common subject words, such as bug-out, survival, prepare, emergency, and etc. Of course, there are internet links to be found using a similar word search that provide much detail. 

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2014, 12:07:36 pm »
Considering that I live in an area that was affected by the strongest earthquake ever recorded in Europe, I should have something like that, but I do not. ;D

Cold weather is not much of problem here, as the lowest temperature I have ever witnessed was 0.5ยบ C, but, as in any city, food and water could be a problem, along with medication, although my asthma as become much more manageable than it was two years ago, I still need my salbutamol.

Offline WarToad

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 160
  • PRC Black Sheep
« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2014, 12:37:54 pm »
everything I have listed except the water fits into a medium duty backpack quite easily along with a brick of .22long rifle shells and a nine shot revolver,
seeker

I have a 12g shotgun and 9mm Glock I keep on hand.  For the shotgun I keep a mix of ammo for it's versitility.  Deer slugs to various birdshot and buckshot.
Time is the fire in which we burn.

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2014, 03:19:07 pm »
Well, there are multiple ways for an SHTF" event to occur, both corporately and individually. Most of us who have "some age" probably have experienced such an event(s). Some can be bad weather events, which affect some and not others, as we have seen this past winter in many areas of the country. Also tornados and hurricanes. There were millions without power as a result of hurricane Sandy, and as I remember, some people didn't have electrical power back for weeks or months.

For me, New Years 1979 was one such event. An ice storm hit North Central Texas New Years Eve night, and it did not get above freezing for about two weeks. We lost power that night, and water a day or two afterwards. I was prepared to stay reasonably warm with a large fireplace and wood. We could cook some with coals from the fireplace. So, we were able to stay there, with some difficulties. After the water went off, I would get buckets of water from my private lake, just in front of my house, for flushing the commodes. We did fine, until the lake froze over so thick that getting water for flushing became very difficult. That is when we "bugged-out" and went to my mom and dad's in the Dallas area, who had everything!!! :))

As a result, I did commit that I would not be caught like that again. Even the large fireplace would only heat the den to about 65 degrees tops, and the rest of the house was still very cold. That summer, I bought and installed my first wood stove, and it easily would heat our 2000 sq. ft. home - all rooms. Now of course, "wood pellet" stoves will do likewise, as I have used a pellet stove in another place too.

That was a time of family experience for us, and for us it clearly showed how important good preparation could be. I say that now, even though I wasn't really well prepared for it then, and, because of various circumstances, I am not that well prepared now.

The question remains for each of us, "how do we prepare" for what could be a life-changing event, especially those that commonly occur(s) somewhere most every year? To some extent, no-prep is like playing "Russian Roulette" with the circumstances - to a great extent, the cost of prep is much like the cost of insurance - we pay for it, but hope we never have to use it!

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2014, 03:45:25 pm »
The question remains for each of us, "how do we prepare" for what could be a life-changing event, especially those that commonly occur(s) somewhere most every year?
As someone that works with exact things, I think that how we prepare depends on what we are preparing for, as preparing for something generic will probably result in too much work that may not be enough for specific cases.

In my case, as mentioned above, the most likely natural SHTF source is an earthquake, as this is an earthquake area (I think I have witnessed some 7 or 8 earthquakes in my life, the biggest and first a 7.8 in 1969) and we don't have hurricanes, big tornadoes (only very small ones), very low temperatures (I have never seen snow) or any of those ways nature has of showing how weak the humans are. :)

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2014, 07:23:35 pm »
I have seen ice storms that took out our power for two weeks at a time in the 60's, 70's, and early 80's; had tornadoes tear up jack around us several times, even had a couple of hurricanes that blasted us in 1975 and 1994...not to mention the blizzard of '93...

each must examine the circumstances that apply to you and then decide how to prepare; I actually began the learning process about different events that could befall us and what would be the best course of action in 1977 after I discovered what POTUS Jimmy Carter did upon taking office; it was alledged by good sources that he took us from defcon 4 to defcon 2 for a hundred days for no reason other than to show the world his cojones...

I also remember the Cuban Missile crisis very well; we lived right down the road from Dobbins Air Base in Marietta, Georgia, and it seemed that every 5 minutes jets were scrambling over our house...

making preps for a SHTF scenario is not complicated and doesn't have to be expensive; I have been slowly building my base of supplies for over 30 years; I rotate out items with expiration dates and keep a running tab of the inventory; most of it is common sense and buying 3 cans of peas this week instead of 1...or corn...

I live in what used to be a rural area; a move farther out is in the plans for the near future.

Now for a few more items to add to the basic list: a folding shovel and a good hatchet will always be useful in making expedient shelter in adverse weather conditions;  there are many different small water purification items such as a Life Straw and purification tablets, and having charcoal on hand makes it easy to construct a water purifier; just need a bucket, some tinfoil,play sand, the charcoal, gravel, and a few minutes of time...

seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

sky otter

« Reply #21 on: April 03, 2014, 09:07:10 pm »

ah seeker
expanding on the water thing would be nice...if you would , please

the more options on the water  stuff the better

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:39:50 pm by rdunk »

sky otter

« Reply #23 on: April 04, 2014, 10:40:13 am »

yeah rdunk thanks but  i know about those.. they're great if you are on the move

i meant whatever method seeker was talking about
with sand and gravel..sounded like a leech bed..lol and it made me curious to learn another method

i think if you are smart you try this stuff before you really need it..to see what really works
water is the one thing we really need and pre testing helps weed the stuff that doesn't work for you

i always have bleach and the 8 drops of bleach into a gallon of water is good..but then straining it thur charcoal makes even a more tasty liquid...and you have to be careful about bleach and plastic containers...glass is your best option if possible

http://www.csgnetwork.com/h2oemergencypurifycalc.html

http://water.epa.gov/drink/emerprep/emergencydisinfection.cfm

when you hear the gov putting out ads on how to be ready for emergencies..
hummmm.. you wander a few things like what DO THEY KNOW
and that we have been warned.. if you aren't paying attention  you're just plaind ass stupid

;D

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #24 on: April 04, 2014, 01:06:55 pm »
sky, the principle is similar to a leach bed; line a 5 gallon bucket with 6" of gravel in the bottom after drilling 15-20 1/8" holes around the bottom edge; put a layer of aluminum foil to cover it, punch several dozen pinholes in it in the center of the foil, then a layer of charcoal 3-4" deep, layer of aluminum foil to cover the charcoal, then 6" of sand; make 2 full layers like this;

you have to have the bucket where it can be put in a wash tub or something similar; pour a gallon of water in the top and when it comes out into the tub put it in a clean container with the bleach drops, let it sit for 24 hours and you are ready to go...

seeker
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 02:08:54 pm by the seeker »
Seekers Domain

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #25 on: April 04, 2014, 03:11:51 pm »
Great stuff here.  :)

With Yellowstone, and LA going off, lots
of talk about earthquakes right now.
Its a good time to plan.

Being prepared mentally is top of the list.
SHTF situs will likely bring intense physical,
mental emotional stress.  Plan ahead with
a written strategy, and stash this away
with your BOB, and supplies. This does
not need to be long, a page or two should
do it.

Then, adding to the above ideas, in my
BOB I always want to have a comfortable
durable pair of socks, and lightweight
but sturdy work gloves.

If I had to start out on foot, I would make
sure to bring these with.

"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2014, 08:07:29 pm »
Great stuff here.  :)

With Yellowstone, and LA going off, lots
of talk about earthquakes right now.
Its a good time to plan.

it is never too late to plan until it is happening...

Being prepared mentally is top of the list.
SHTF situs will likely bring intense physical,
mental emotional stress.  Plan ahead with
a written strategy, and stash this away
with your BOB, and supplies. This does
not need to be long, a page or two should
do it.
very good BTS; a written plan of action helps to eliminate those brain farts that cause you to forget to bring your meds, boots, underwear, etc...

Then, adding to the above ideas, in my
BOB I always want to have a comfortable
durable pair of socks, and lightweight
but sturdy work gloves.

Agreed; a pair or two of cheap cotton gloves, a box of nitrile disposable gloves, and a good sturdy pair of leather gloves is a plus; I also try to keep an extra set of clothes with the BOB, and seldom do I go outside without comfortable, durable footwear, usually boots...

If I had to start out on foot, I would make
sure to bring these with.

Keeping a cool head and having a detailed plan complete with alternate routes or plans for different scenarios with greatly increase the chances of accomplishing your goals and help minimize wasting possibly precious moments trying to make a decision...

seeker
Seekers Domain

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2014, 10:27:14 pm »
a pair or two of cheap cotton gloves, a box of nitrile disposable gloves, and a good sturdy pair of leather gloves is a plus;

Great idea on the nitrile gloves, they take little room and weigh
nothing...yet could be a lifesaver....

complete with alternate routes or plans for different scenarios

Yep, great idea to have a map...I have one that has
my own explorations highlighted in yellow, I know
where I have been and what is what there.

This route map could also have emergency contact
numbers written in the borders...just for an extra just in case.

;)
- Zorgon

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2014, 04:24:21 am »
Yep, great idea to have a map...
Would a military map be a better choice?

I ask because I have some (in digital format) that show many things that are not shown on a common road map, like water sources, type of terrain, etc.

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2014, 05:03:18 am »
Would a military map be a better choice?

I ask because I have some (in digital format) that show many things that are not shown on a common road map, like water sources, type of terrain, etc.

The more, the better.  :D

Forest Service maps are also a plus, these may be similar.
- Zorgon

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56