collapse

Author Topic: [Gardening] Pumpkins in Melbourne, Oz !  (Read 3473 times)

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
[Gardening] Pumpkins in Melbourne, Oz !
« on: March 30, 2015, 07:54:50 am »
I'm posting this pic here mainly for Space Otter so IT can see I am out and about checking out people's passion !

Spaceotter it's not quite the National Heirloom Expo you guy's and Gals have in the State's but we are doing our best over here to kill Monsanto !   8) ;D

This Pumpkin in my hand is known as the Turks Turban... I like to Call it *UFO Pumpkin* :D

« Last Edit: March 30, 2015, 07:57:56 am by Somamech »

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
Re: [Gardening] Pumpkins in Melbourne, Oz !
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2015, 10:22:07 am »
Amazing!

What does that Turk's Turban taste like?

Beautiful veggies…if you send a few seeds of that UFO pumpkin,
I will grow them here at the Mothership.   ;D

Thor Anderson
POB 303
Lakemont, GA 30552

tfw
Peace Love Light
Liberty & Equality or Revolution

Hec'el oinipikte  (that we shall live)

FUKUSHIMA FALLOUT CLOCK
Elapsed Time since March 11, 2011, 2:46 PM - Fukushima, Japan

The World Must Take Charge at Fukushima

“In a time of universal deceit
telling the truth is considered a revolutionary act."

George Orwell
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

space otter

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2015, 04:11:10 pm »

Soma

wow ..I forget sometimes about our seasons being opposites..lol
did you eat it?.. what did you think?

nice squash....butternut is my favorite and I have seen the turks cap  but never grew it.. I think it will be in this years garden..thanks  ;D

good Friday (this week) is when I usually plant my potatoes and green onions
but they are calling for snow on Friday and I don't have my new little plot ready yet..sigh.. so I might be a bit late  on planting this year..

I am so glad to see your pic, my friend and with veggies..lol...

so of course I did a bit of looking up and see the  the turban is winter heirloom squash here.. yep gonna grow some with the butternuts..

heres' some info I found.. how cool that you are introducing it from half way around the globe..thanks.. big hugs

http://www.rareseeds.com/turks-cap-or-turban-squash/

2 Reviews | Write a Review

(C. maxima) 90 days A beautiful squash striped in red, orange, green and white. A very old variety from France (pre-1820). Fine thick orange flesh; good sized fruit. Unique

What are the pros? Decorative and tasty too.

What are the cons? None.

Review:
So many people say that Turban squash make poor pies and have poor eating qualities. I must strongly disagree. I have used Turban squash for pies for years and everyone raves about them. I've cooked up many a Turban squash for dinner and found them all to be strongly "squashy" in flavor...and I am very picky, having been raised in the north and reared on Hubbard and Butternut squashes. I think Turban gets a bad rap from people who don't know how to cook winter squash (bake or steam, don't boil the pieces) or who have poor pie recipes. Boiling any winter squash waters down the flavor and makes the flesh watery. I've found Turbans to be semi-dry, semi-sweet with lots of full-squash flavor.

Would you recommend this product to a friend? Yes

Turban squash

Species Cucurbita maxima
Cultivar Turban
Origin Northeastern United States[1]

Turban squash, also known as "Turk's turban" or "French turban" ("Giraumon" in French), is a type of squash most often used as a winter squash. It is an heirloom, predating 1820.[2] A cultivar of Cucurbita maxima, it is closely related to the buttercup squash.[3] It is typically 6 pounds when mature.[2] Colors vary, but are often mottled in shades of orange, green, and white.[3] The squash is used as both a vegetable and as an ornamental gourd.[4][5] Taste is similar to other C. maxima cultivars, though "not as vibrant,"[4] "reminiscent to hazelnut," oh makes me want one right now [3] and "coarse, watery and insipid."[6] It has been described as "the most beautiful in color, and the most worthless in quality, of all the varieties of squash  well this is wiki so I won't believe the last part and grow it and try it for myself.. the hazelnut taste thing  got me..yumm

and not complete without a recipe..yum
just roasted sound good but this would be really good

http://www.food.com/recipe/stuffed-turban-squash-106888

Ingredients

Servings 4-6   Units US 

1 (3 lb) turban squash
2  tablespoons butter
1?4 small onion, chopped
1  stalk celery, chopped
1  carrot, finely diced (optional)
1?2 lb pork sausage
1?4 cup soft breadcrumbs
2  tablespoons light brown sugar
1  teaspoon salt
1?2 teaspoon black pepper

Directions
Preheat oven to 350°F.
Cut the top off the turban squash, as you would for a jack-o-lantern type pumpkin.
Scoop out seeds and pulp and discard.
Place turban squash, cut sides down, on an oiled or foil covered baking sheet, and cover with more foil.
Roast for 50-60 minutes or until tender.
Scoop out tender pulp from cavity of squash.
In a saucepan, saute onions, celery, sausage and diced carrot in butter until vegetables are tender.
Drain any fat.
Mix in brown sugar, bread crumbs, salt, pepper, and cooked squash.
Stir until well-mixed.
Spoon filling lightly into the cavity of the turban squash, and cover with the top.
Place extra filling (if any) into a separate dish.
Bake squash and any extra filling for 20-25 minutes or until heated through.
Serve hot.

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 11:06:51 am »
Thor and Spacey I must say that I didn't eat the UFO LOL

As this is the end of the season for UFO Squash in OZ I'm not looking into it so much as it's Greens time here now!

I'm currently working on building about 3 sq meter's of raised wicking bed's as funds come in.  I have the timber cut up, have some rather pretty cool rock dust inoculated with fungi and microbe's.   

I've yet to see a wicking bed incorporate a working INBUILT compost tea solution.  In theory it should work as there are people growing with misted water etc.  But doing it with microbe's in what is essentially a very large self contained watering pot posted online is another whole matter  :o

I've created this dilemma for myself due to having my very small garden which is based entirely on self watering pot's, and noticing that they do grow algae in the water holding tank.  SO my thinking in an earth based system is that if i incorporate an aeration device made  to run once a week I may get better yields :D

Keep Growing On gardening buddy's :D

space otter

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 11:20:10 am »

hey Soma

check out these two sites or a search on killing algea in water tanks
and just off the top of my head.. do a small jug test and drop a nice piece of copper into the container..
do three jugs.. one control.. only water
one with copper dropped in at beginning
one with algea growth and then drop in copper piece
and if you want to do an extra control.. paint another container black..no light gets in and see how it compares to the other control where light can enter.....just some thoughts  :D

or just 8 drops of bleach per gallon to clear...won't hurt anything but will cancel out the green stuff

water storage is a big deal ...if you try my test..let me know how it works

I got my little 8' X 8' raised bed planted with 5 pounds of yukon gold potatoes..
roped off to keep the doggies out...forgot how the cats like to help in fertilizing ...sigh  ::)

http://portabletankgroup.blogspot.com/2012/03/water-storage-tank-cleaning.html

http://davesgarden.com/community/forums/t/983429/

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2015, 09:16:58 am »
Hahaha

I got my little 8' X 8' raised bed planted with 5 pounds of yukon gold potatoes..
roped off to keep the doggies out...forgot how the cats like to help in fertilizing ...sigh

Did you watch Praxxus's latest video dealing in the exact same problem the other day Spacey ? :D

For the record I am no more closer to constructing my bed's.  Inlaw's all converged in melbourne over the last few week's.  I love them but my wife put's our life on hold LOL

Thanks for the links Spacey i will look into them... as a woodchip based wicking bed is not what most people do even though the originator of the idea says to do just that.  ???

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2015, 11:23:42 am »
I still haven't built my Greenhouse yet  Wife is gone now  almost have the house in order but need some money to buy the materials.  The weather is great this year Its been unusually cool right to the end of April though we had a really warm Jan and Feb  (in the 80's)

Today I needed to put the heat on to take the chill off was 65 inside the house

So as soon as I get some freed up cash I will build that greenhouse out back where the dog run was

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2015, 11:32:38 am »
Because of the heat and sunlight here in Vegas a lot of fountains and ponds use Methylene Blue

This has long been used in Aquariums because it prevent disease in fish but in ponds etc the blue dye blocks sun and stops algae. 

As far as I know used properly it doesn't have any harmful effects because the ponds here have fish plants and wild life that show no effects and its been used a long time

It can be pretty too :D

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2015, 11:34:16 am »
Pool Chlorine works but usually dissipates quickly It costs a lot to replace the chlorine in a 35,000 gallon pool :P but they have the slow release chlorine tablets that you can use.

There is also a relatively new method using a beneficial bacteria that kills algae but I haven't looked that up yet
« Last Edit: April 27, 2015, 11:36:44 am by zorgon »

Offline WarToad

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 160
  • PRC Black Sheep
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2015, 12:23:02 pm »
I rent a 30' x 50' garden plot from the local gardening club.  For $30 rent for the entire summer, it more than makes up for that in produce.  Steal of a deal cheap.  I haf a small 5' x 3' raspberry patch and this year with the the regular crowd - beets, carrots, yellow beans, green beans, soy beans, pole beans, pumpkins for the kids,  butternut and acorn squash, potatos, chili peppers, and various lettuce.
Time is the fire in which we burn.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]