collapse

Author Topic: Computer Health Tips  (Read 9771 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Computer Health Tips
« on: February 08, 2012, 09:28:52 pm »
Computer Health Tips

Is this you?

Or this?

This list will have some FREE computer programs and tips to help you keep your computer clean and safe.

The programs recommended here are not the only ones available, and other experienced users may have other recommendations. If you have such ideas please feel free to PM me with the details and I can add it to the list

These programs have been picked with the 'computer illiterate' in mind because they are;
1. FREE
2. Made by reputable companies
3. Have free upgrades with minimal requests to purchase the pro versions
4. The purchased version is generally very inexpensive in case you choose to buy
5. They are reliable
6. They come set with default settings that require little changing by the average user
7. Easy to install and user friendly

The following programs are ALL being used on my computer, and any computer in the house or friend that I have helped solve issues;

Since using these for YEARS I have had no issues. Along with a few other tips on which doors to close, your computer can run clean and free and operate in total stealth mode.

Also all of these programs are inter compatible with ZERO conflicts
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 11:41:08 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: Computer Health Tips
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2012, 09:29:40 pm »
The two most important programs you need are an antivirus and a firewall

All you experts and techies out there will already know it all and don't need to be here :P Unless you have some more tips to help out  8)

AVG Anti Virus 2012

This program is used by my two computer repair companies above any other because they can load a copy onto anyone's computer for FREE

When you go to the company website they offer three options
1) Buy
2) Free Trial
3) Free Version

They show you a list of features. It will appear that you don't get much with the free version. Well they are trying to sell the software after all so cut them some slack

However after you have installed the program.... you will find that it is FULLY ACTIVE with most of the features included;

AVG Homepage

Here is the link for the free version

Click on download... then to bottom of that page
Click on 'download basic protection'... that takes you to Download.com
Click on download.

Save to computer so you have a stand alone copy and click on the file to install.

In your Windows monitoring section, TURN OFF monitoring of the Anti Virus software. AVG will update itself or allow you to choose when to update so you don't get nagged

A note on TOOL BARS

A lot of programs ask you install a toolbar... many of them you have to actually check the box NOT to install. Toolbars in my opinion are clutter and trackers... you don't need them :P
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:39:26 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2012, 10:24:21 pm »
ZoneAlarm Firewall

ZoneAlarm Home Site

This is the screen of the Free Version. It is a fully functional firewall that has many features

All good firewalls will stop stuff you don't want coming in. provided your settings are correct, but not every one stops OUT GOING programs from accessing the web. So a script could come in to your system in a number of ways and set itself up INTERNALLY to collect data... then transmit that data out

Zone Alarm may be a bit annoying in the first few weeks after install, but it is worth it. The reason is because EVERY program needs to ask permission to access the internet... and you have to assign it.

Options are;
1. Blocked
2. Ask each Time
3. Ask first time and remember the decision
4. Allow program to act as a server. (a browser would need this permission

You can physically make permission changes as well

When a new program (every program is 'new' after ZA install) asks for permission you will see this screen pop up

So on that screen if the program is known and trusted you click the box to 'remember this setting' and hit 'allow'  From then on that program will always have access until you change it with an upgrade

If you don't know what it is... record the file name and click 'deny'. Then paste the file name into Google search. If it is bad you will see reports on it, if good it will tell you what it does

I have had notepad try to access the internet LOL

One thing when installing new software sometimes weird programs will need ONE TIME permission to complete the install (registration, things like that)

But take a moment to find out... My wife just spent $380.00 for repairs because she was impatient and just clicked 'allow' without finding out what it was

There is no point to having protection if you don't use it
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 02:37:57 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2012, 02:42:13 am »
IObit Security 360

I used to recommend this one but the company stopped making it :D instead they combined it with other programs to make it better.

Important Announcement

Dear users, please be informed that we have stopped permanently the development and maintenance of IObit Security 360 product (both Free and Pro Editions) as we think the traditional technology cannot meet the new requirements of fighting emerging Internet security threats.

Paid users of IObit Security 360 PRO will still have our free technical support and automatic update to our new security software for free.

We have developed a new security product - IObit Malware Fighter which is based upon Cloud Computing technology. Learn more about IObit Malware Fighter here.

Thanks.

The good news is..

1) Its better
2) Its still FREE

This is the screen for the Free version. Its a deep system scanner and will get anything AVG might miss in malware

It's time to remove malware & spyware in your PC

IObit Malware Fighter is an advanced malware & spyware removal utility that detects, removes the deepest infections, and protects your PC from various potential spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers, bots, worms, and hijackers. With the improved, unique "Dual-Core" engine and the heuristic malware detection, IObit Malware Fighter detects the most complex and deepest spyware and malware in a very fast and efficient way.

Click here to download for free

Key Benefits

Finds the Deepest Infections Enhanced
    Adopted with IObit's unique "Dual-Core" engine and improved program core structure, IObit Malware Fighter is now available for delivering more comprehensive and deeper system scan to find the deepest infections, and finally remove or quarantine them, protecting your PC from more security threats and privacy compromises. With anti-malware, anti-spyware, anti-adware, anti-trojan, anti-bots, and more, IObit Malware Fighter can assist your antivirus to defend any tricky and complex threats.

*Currently, there is no solution that offers a 100% effectiveness rate for detecting virus and malware.

Enhanced Real-time Protection Enhanced
    IObit Malware Fighter provides you with ultimate anti-malware and real-time protection, including "Startup Guard", "Browser Guard", "Network Guard", "File Guard", and "Cookie Guard", which keeps your computer stay secure all the time.

Creative Cloud Computing Technology New!
    IObit Cloud uses the latest Cloud Computing technology and Heuristic Analyzing mechanic to analyze the behavior of spyware, adware, trojans, keyloggers, bots, worms, hijackers and other security-related risks in a fully automated mode.

One-click Solution and Very Easy to Use
    Traditional advantages of IObit products. We love simple and automatic styles.

Very Fast and Light
    Thanks to the improved, unique "Dual-Core" anti-malware engine, complicated analysis can be made faster now.

Fully compatible with All Antivirus Products
    Everyone needs qualified antivirus software, and IObit Malware Fighter will surely be the best mate for your current antivirus.

Automated Working in the Background Enhanced
    This powerful utility works continuously, automatically and quietly in the background on your PC. You can set it as your schedule or just let it work automatically when your PC is idle.

Automatic and Frequent Updates Enhanced
    By the new-generation malware analysis system and our professional database team, IObit Malware Fighter catches the emerging dangerous malware in the Internet.

« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 03:09:52 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2012, 03:59:54 am »
Advanced SystemCare FREE 5

If you like IObit Malware Fighter Free, you will also like our flagship product
Now download it to boost your PC performance by up to 200%!

This is the main program screen...

As it says this is an ADVANCED system cleaner yet the main features are easy to use at the click of a button. There are some of the tools though that could cause problems if used incorrectly.

If your not sure you can ask... but the Quick Scan and the Deep Scan that fix 95% of the issues automatically is safe and easy for anyone to use

Advanced SystemCare FREE 5

So lets have a look at the screen...

This is what you would use most of the time, I use it at least once a week, sometimes daily when I do a lot of work. It cleans up the main junk files. The default settings from the factory are all you need EXCEPT in the privacy section.  You need to decide to check history and cookies on your browsers. I delete cookies but save history

The DEEP CARE option has a lot more features as you can see. You will also notice the "pro" tag on the right of a few. Those are the features available in the paid version. But all the rest are FULL FUNCTION.

After you do the scan for problems you will see this banner

That is the 'hook' to buy the paid version... you can safely ignore it and just say 'fix current errors only'  Trust me on this... it will clean the 'errors' :D

When you run this for the first time expect to see a LOT of errors. That is because the program will see a lot of issues for the first time and needs to get them into memory.

continued....
« Last Edit: February 09, 2012, 04:18:05 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2012, 04:24:37 am »
Advanced Tool Box

So a quick run down of the Tools in the Advanced Care Tool Box. Most of them the average user will never need. And care needs to be taken when you use them as they can delete files you don't want to delete 

You can also shred files to government level erase :D Here are the screens and the tool boxes available...

As you can see there are a lot of options in this free package. And in fairness the actual cost of the full version is very reasonable at $19.95 regular price and on sale now for $12.97. You can't really beat that

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2012, 04:34:21 am »
And the last feature Turbo Boost

If your not using the computer for gaming, set it for work and use the extra speed. Also easy toswitch back and forth

CCleaner

This is another good program to remove junk files. It is a stand alone program that attaches to your recycle bin. The first time you run it it takes a few minutes, after that its a quick click and clean.

CCleaner is the number-one tool for cleaning your Windows PC. It protects your privacy online and makes your computer faster and more secure. Easy to use and a small, fast download.

CCleaner

A note. IF you are using Advanced Windows Care 5 you will not need this as it is included in the program under 'Privacy Sweep'  I still have it loaded however as its a very fast way to clean internet cache and windows log file clutter swiftly at the click of a button. I do it once a day as I shut down

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2012, 05:29:13 am »
Hijack This

This program is really for advanced users, however if your having issues with your computer, if you have this free program from Trend Micro Systems  you can scan your computer and save a log file.

That log file will tell you everything that is running on your computer. There are several forums online where you can send that log file for analysis by volunteer geeks :P

Version 2.0.4

Scan your computer with HijackThis version 2.0.4 to find settings changed by spyware, malware, or other unwanted programs. HijackThis version 2.0.4 is now Windows 7 compatible. It generates in-depth log reports for Windows-operated systems, including Windows 7.

HijackThis - Trend Micro Incorporated

Sample Log from my computer just now

Logfile of Trend Micro HijackThis v2.0.4
Scan saved at 4:02:36 AM, on 2/9/2012
Platform: Windows Vista  (WinNT 6.00.1904)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v8.00 (8.00.6001.18904)
Boot mode: Normal

Running processes:
C:\Windows\system32\Dwm.exe
C:\Windows\system32\taskeng.exe
C:\Windows\Explorer.EXE
C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 5\ASCTray.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wbem\unsecapp.exe
C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\agent\bin\avgidsmonitor.exe
C:\Windows\system32\wuauclt.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox.exe
C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\plugin-container.exe
C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 5\Asc.exe
C:\Program Files\Trend Micro\HijackThis\HijackThis.exe

At the moment I turned off all working programs except firefox and hijack this. The other programs are all running 'behind the scene' as it were. The list should be small, using only what you need

Part Two

O2 - BHO: WormRadar.com IESiteBlocker.NavFilter - {3CA2F312-6F6E-4B53-A66E-4E65E497C8C0} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgssie.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ZoneAlarm Client] "C:\Program Files\Zone Labs\ZoneAlarm\zlclient.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_TRAY] C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgtray.exe
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Skype] "C:\Program Files\Skype\Phone\Skype.exe" /nosplash /minimized
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [Advanced SystemCare 5] "C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 5\ASCTray.exe" /AutoStart
O18 - Protocol: linkscanner - {F274614C-63F8-47D5-A4D1-FBDDE494F8D1} - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgpp.dll
O22 - SharedTaskScheduler: Component Categories cache daemon - {8C7461EF-2B13-11d2-BE35-3078302C2030} - C:\Windows\system32\browseui.dll
O23 - Service: Adobe Acrobat Update Service (AdobeARMservice) - Adobe Systems Incorporated - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Adobe\ARM\1.0\armsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Advanced SystemCare Service 5 (AdvancedSystemCareService5) - IObit - C:\Program Files\IObit\Advanced SystemCare 5\ASCService.exe
O23 - Service: AVGIDSAgent - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\Identity Protection\Agent\Bin\AVGIDSAgent.exe
O23 - Service: AVG WatchDog (avgwd) - AVG Technologies CZ, s.r.o. - C:\Program Files\AVG\AVG10\avgwdsvc.exe
O23 - Service: IMF Service (IMFservice) - IObit - C:\Program Files\IObit\IObit Malware Fighter\IMFsrv.exe
O23 - Service: lxcz_device -   - C:\Windows\system32\lxczcoms.exe
O23 - Service: McAfee Security Scan Component Host Service (McComponentHostService) - McAfee, Inc. - C:\Program Files\McAfee Security Scan\2.0.181\McCHSvc.exe
O23 - Service: NVIDIA Display Driver Service (nvsvc) - NVIDIA Corporation - C:\Windows\system32\nvvsvc.exe
O23 - Service: Stuffit Archive Name Service - Smith Micro Software, Inc. - C:\Program Files\Smith Micro\StuffIt 2010\ArcNameService.exe
O23 - Service: TrueVector Internet Monitor (vsmon) - Check Point Software Technologies LTD - C:\WINDOWS\System32\ZoneLabs\vsmon.exe
O23 - Service: XAudioService - Conexant Systems, Inc. - C:\Windows\system32\DRIVERS\xaudio.exe

--
End of file - 2926 bytes

Okay so those entries above are the functions executed on your computer. I don't use IE at all and it always seems to manage to put BHO's back into the system :D  These items have boxes to check and you can fix them..

BUT don't fix anything unless you know exactly what it does

In the sample above you can read the lines. Most reputable software will identify itself in the line. If you get something that says 'unknown' or something you don't recognize, like this one I never saw before
O23 - Service: lxcz_device -   - C:\Windows\system32\lxczcoms.exe

you can copy the file name lxczcoms.exe into google and you will find several reports;

lxczcoms.exe Windows process - What is it?

lxczcoms.exe file information

The process Printer Communication System belongs to the software Printer Communication System by unknown.

Description: File lxczcoms.exe is located in the folder C:\Windows\System32. The file size on Windows 7/XP is 537,520 bytes.http://www.file.net/process/lxczcoms.exe.html
The program has no visible window. lxczcoms.exe is certified by a trustworthy company. It is not a Windows system file. It is a Microsoft signed file. Therefore the technical security rating is 23% dangerous.

Recommended: Identify lxczcoms.exe related errors

Important: Some malware camouflage themselves as lxczcoms.exe, particularly if they are located in c:\windows or c:\windows\system32 folder. Thus check the lxczcoms.exe process on your pc whether it is pest. We recommend Security Task Manager for verifying your computer's security. It was one of the Top Download Picks of The Washington Post and PC World.

Okay... so that file appeared when I tested my wife's printer and had to install drivers.

Now you get the idea. But best to send the report to a forum where they know what each item is before you attempt to zap it.

The end result you want is the shortest list possible :D  The longer it is the slower your system will run. I also spotted a few more auto updaters in my list that appeared again  >:(  hate those :P

If you want you can send me a copy too, but I may not be able to look at it right away, especially once the forum gets busy, so ask first please

So with these tools you should be able to solve all your computer woes.

I do NOT however know how any of these work on Apple Mac systems... as far as I am concerned a Macintosh Apple is something that grows in Canada and tastes really good :D

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2012, 01:38:04 pm »
   Dalbeck

Thx zorgon for your links!

May I add another software? :) I can only recommend the AVira software:

http://www.avira.com/en/avira-free-antivirus

It's free and updates everyday. You can scan your PC and get rid of trojans, malware etc. ;)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2012, 09:52:44 pm »
Free Software - VLC Player

This is a free video (and other media) player. It has a simple interface but will single handed play ALL media. Perfect for checking out all your save Youtube videos and any other file you want to look at.  This is not to say it is better than some other specific programs but its a quick click view anything program

VLC media player Official Site

You can also get it from other download sites but those versions usually have other things added. The official site is just the clean program without added tool bars and other trackers

Offline burntheships

• Administrator
  • Gold 277
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 09:14:13 pm »

Wow, well if anyone is a little internet miner
...like me ....be forwarned.

I picked up a root kit somehow, either from another forum
site, or by looking at geoengineering pdfs. The rootkit
will hijack your browers, especially Google search,
and will give you normal looking search results,
however each time you try to access the link in Google
search, you will be re-directed to fake sites

Mostly "gimme" something....

I only go to two forums, and I know for sure
it was not this one.

If anyone gets a google redirect "virus",
its not really a virus it is technically referred to
as spamware.

Dont Panic...but...

Dont mess around, I got rid of it easily with the
Norton Power Eraser.

I tried everything else, I heard people paying up to 69.99
a pop to get rid of it.

The Norton Power Eraser is free, and will remove all
rootkits.

Here is the download link: FREE download
http://us.norton.com/support/DIY/

Worked very quickly, like a charm!

;)

"This is the Documentary Channel"
- Zorgon

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
  • Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    • PEGASUS RESEARCH CONSORTIUM
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 10:07:03 pm »
I use this program a long time and I have no regrets. In fact it has saved me a few times.

There is a free version and a paid version (pro). I use the free one.

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware

http://www.malwarebytes.org/products/malwarebytes_pro

Malware is big and malware is bad. Your computer is constantly at risk from infection by malware including viruses, worms, trojans, rootkits, dialers and spyware. Malwarebytes specializes in fighting malware.

If viruses are mischief, malware is mayhem. Malware doesn’t just want to disrupt your network, it wants your keystrokes, logins, passwords, address book, data, credit card information, favorite t-shirt and possibly your cat.

Malware is not going away any time soon. Malware is growing, developing, constantly evolving. Malware is becoming more difficult to detect, and even harder to remove.

Only the most sophisticated anti-malware techniques can detect and remove malicious programs from your computer. Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO combines powerful new technologies designed to seek out, destroy, and prevent malware.

Malwarebytes Anti-Malware PRO detects AND protects in an easy-to-use, straightforward, heavy-hitting but lightweight anti-malware application.
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2012, 10:16:04 pm »
Use this with caution. I set my W7 running just 31 processes.

Some services are useless and dangerous. Like remote services, terminal services and Remote Registry for example.

Notes for a Happier Computer and User

- Do not use “msconfig” to disable services, type “services.msc” in the Run box instead or check this FAQ!
- Before disabling any service, check out the service information about each by selecting the service name links provided.
- Service settings are global, meaning changes apply to all users.
- All of these services are “Standard” with Windows 7 Service Pack 1 and installed by default, by Add/Remove Windows Features, or installed 
  via Windows Live Essentials. If you discover a service that is not listed here, another application, driver or program installed them. A few of   
  the more common ones are listed here.
- WLAN Autoconfig service is required for normal operation of your wireless network card. It is listed here as Manual due to most desktops
   not needing wireless access, but if you do have a wireless network card installed, it will be in Automatic by default.
- Still unsure? Put your setting to “Manual” or the listing under “Safe.” Manual allows Windows 7 Service Pack 1 to start the service when it
  needs to (or when ever it feels like it), but not at boot up. Depending on your configuration, not all services will start when required while in
  “Manual” mode. If you find you need a service, place it in Automatic.
- After adjusting your service settings, reboot your computer.

Windows 7 Services Configuration: Turn Off / Disable Unnecessary Services to Optimize Performance

Unnecessary Windows Services

AdobeLM Service: Not all computers have this service, still it is useless, just disable it if you have it.

Alerter: Disable this one if you are not on a network because you don’t need to receive alerts.

Application Management: Set this to manual.

Automatic Updates: Disable it if you don’t require auto updating and patching of Windows.

ClipBook: Disable this if you are not on a network, since you don’t need to share anything.

Computer Browser: Disable this too if you are not on a network, as you don’t need to browse and monitor connected computers.

Cryptographic Services: Set this to manual if you are not sure you need it.

Distributed Transaction Service: Set this to manual.

DNS Client: Set this to manual if you are not on a network.

Error Reporting Service: Disable this useless service for reporting errors to Microsoft. After all, it doesn’t help you solve the problem.

Fast User Switching Compatibility: Disable it if you have only a single user on your computer, or if you do not use fast user switching
    feature much. That is, if you completely log-off and then allow other users to use your computer, then you do not need this. Note that this   
    service is completely useless for low memory computers.

FTP Publishing: Disable this if you do not use FTP.

Help and Support: Set it to manual or turn it off if you do not use the help feature often.

HTTP SSL: Set it to manual.

Human Interface Device Access: Turn it off if you do not use hot-keys or remote systems on your computer; if you use them sometimes, it is
    better turn it to manual.

IMAPI CD-Burning COM Service: Set this to manual to save memory and time. Do not turn it to disabled if you have a CD writer or a DVD
    writer attached to your computer.

Indexing Service: Turn it off, it uses lots of CPU

InstallDriver Table Manager: Disable it.

IPSEC Services: Set this to manual.

Windows Messenger: Disable this if you are not on a network, it uses too much memory and it is a hog. Use Gaim instead.

MS Software Shadow Copy Provider: Set this to manual.

Net Logon: Disable if you are not on a network.

NetMeeting Remote Desktop Sharing: Disable this if you do not use Remote Desktop feature.

Network Provisioning Service: Disable this, it’s useless if you are not on a network.

NT LM Security Support Provider: Disable this, its useless too.

NVIDIA Display Driver Service: If you do not use the features of nVidia Desktop, this service must be disabled; it is a big hog of memory.

Office Source Engine: Disable it if you have a MS Office CD handy always, its helpful if your installation goes corrupt.

Portable Media Serial Number Service: Set it to manual if you connect portable media to your computer, otherwise disable it.

Print Spooler: Disable it if you don’t have a printer.

Protected Storage: Disable it if you don’t allow strangers to sit on your encrypted storage computer.

Remote Desktop Help Session Manager: Disable it if you don’t use Remote Desktop feature for help and support from Microsoft. You don’t
    get support from Microsoft usually anyways.

Remote Procedure Call Locator: Set it to manual.

Remote Registry: Serious security threat if turned on, disable it now!

Removable Storage: Disable it if you don’t use removable storage drives, else turn it manual.

Routing and Remote Access: Set it to manual.

Secondary Logon: Useless feature for most, disable it or turn it manual.

Security Accounts Manager: Disable it, it’s pretty useless, unless you use NTFS Encryption.

Security Center: Damn useless and irritating feature. Disable it as soon as you can!

Server: Set it to manual or disable it if you are not on network.

Smart Card: Disable it. Seriously who uses smart cards for their home computers?

SSDP Discovery Service: Disable it of not on network or don’t have UPnP devices on home networks.

TCP/IP NetBIOS Helper: Set it to manual if on network, otherwise disable it.

Telnet: Set it to manual if you use this feature, otherwise disable it, especially if you are home users.

Terminal Services: Since you aren’t using Remote Desktop etc… disable it for good.

Uninterrupted Power Supply: Disable it if you don’t have an UPS attached to the serial port of your computer.

Universal Plug and Play Device Host: Set it to manual.

User Privilege Service: Set it to manual.

Volume Shadow Copy: Disable it if you don’t backup using System Restore or Windows Backup. I recommend Ghost.

Windows Firewall/Internet Connection Sharing (ICS): Disable this if you have another firewall such as Norton or Zone Alarm installed,
    otherwise let it remain ON for better security.

Windows Image Acquisition (WIA): If you don’t connect/use a camera/scanner with your computer, disable this service, else set it to   
    manual.

Windows Media Connect: Disable this if you don’t use things such as an iPod etc… for your Windows Media Player.

Windows Media Connect (WMC) Helper: Disable this if you disabled the one above or if you don’t need help.

Windows Time: Disable if not on a synchronized network.

Wireless Zero Configuration: Disable if not on a wireless network.

WMI Performance Adapters: Disable it, useless service for basic usage.

Workstation: Disable if you aren’t on a network. Or simply, if you are a gamer, just shut this one.

To advanced users the Black Viper’s Windows 7 Service Pack 1 Service Configurations

http://www.blackviper.com/2010/12/17/black-vipers-windows-7-service-pack-1-service-configurations/

« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 10:39:07 pm by RUSSO »
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 11:02:36 pm »
Process Explorer v15.13

You wonder what programs are using your files and / or specific folders? The Best in this program, in my opinion, is the possibility to see the origins of the proceduresthat the task manager does not show. Therefore, when you need to close a process, you will know which program or service is responsible for it.  8)

Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded. The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process Explorer is in. In handle mode youll see the handles that the process selected in the top window has opened; in DLL mode youll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the process has loaded. The program also includes a powerful search feature that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.

Ever wondered which program has a particular file or directory open? Now you can find out. Process Explorer shows you information about which handles and DLLs processes have opened or loaded.

The Process Explorer display consists of two sub-windows. The top window always shows a list of the currently active processes, including the names of their owning accounts, whereas the information displayed in the bottom window depends on the mode that Process Explorer is in: if it is in handle mode you'll see the handles that the process selected in the top window has opened; if Process Explorer is in DLL mode you'll see the DLLs and memory-mapped files that the process has loaded. Process Explorer also has a powerful search capability that will quickly show you which processes have particular handles opened or DLLs loaded.

The unique capabilities of Process Explorer make it useful for tracking down DLL-version problems or handle leaks, and provide insight into the way Windows and applications work.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896653

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2012, 11:50:14 am »
Free Software - VLC Player

This is a free video (and other media) player. It has a simple interface but will single handed play ALL media. Perfect for checking out all your save Youtube videos and any other file you want to look at.  This is not to say it is better than some other specific programs but its a quick click view anything program

VLC media player Official Site

You can also get it from other download sites but those versions usually have other things added. The official site is just the clean program without added tool bars and other trackers

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter