collapse

Author Topic: our money problems are over  (Read 11412 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: our money problems are over
« Reply #15 on: February 28, 2013, 02:37:31 pm »
All good and fine - but One must have things like...oh, say, a car,

Puppy Poop :P All you need to do is form a team with someone that has transport.  You can stay at home on the comp and work out the clues, the one with the wheels does the leg work. Just make sure it's in writing

a way to feed Oneself,

Dandelions make an excellent nutritional food, lots of vitamin C, potassium and anti oxidants. Pick the first growth cook them twice. Taste similar to spinach.  The flowers are great in salads or make an excellent wine. Italian immigrants brought them over, they now grow everywhere and in Toronto the Italians are out every weekend picking them

This is but one item. Don't know where you are but I bet I can list many yummy stuff in your area :D

« Last Edit: February 28, 2013, 02:39:51 pm by zorgon »

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #16 on: February 28, 2013, 03:42:49 pm »
Um... Thanks, z.  I haven't yet seen a dandelion here... But maybe closer to spring.  And like who?  I know only a couple of People here - and They're busy making ends meet.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #17 on: February 28, 2013, 07:34:03 pm »
Um... Thanks, z.  I haven't yet seen a dandelion here... But maybe closer to spring.  And like who?  I know only a couple of People here - and They're busy making ends meet.

Oh yeah I forget the country is covers in SUPER MEG BLIZZARD  I guess that is why its cooler here :P

Like who? well on the internet Twitter etc...

Lemme give an example...  I was playing Evony on line a few years back. During the course of back and forth comments in the chat lines I found a guy who was digging treasures in Vietnam (kinda on the sly but with certain government officials involved)  When he returns to the US sometime next year he wants to hook up with me and go look for that gold hidden near Johns mine ( a very old legend here in Nevada of a hidden Spanish vault that they never came back for)

We think we have a general location :D

The point was where there is a will, there is a solution... Snow?  Are there pine cones around? 

In Asia two species are widely harvested, Korean Pine (Pinus koraiensis) in northeast Asia (the most important species in international trade), and Chilgoza Pine (Pinus gerardiana) in the western Himalaya. Four other species, Siberian Pine (Pinus sibirica), Siberian Dwarf Pine (Pinus pumila), Chinese White Pine (Pinus armandii) and Lacebark Pine (Pinus bungeana), are also used to a lesser extent. Afghanistan is an important source of pine nuts.

Pine nuts produced in Europe mostly come from the Stone Pine (Pinus pinea), which has been cultivated for its nuts for over 6,000 years, and harvested from wild trees for far longer. The Swiss Pine (Pinus cembra) is also used to a very small extent.

In North America, the main species are three of the pinyon pines, Colorado Pinyon (Pinus edulis), Single-leaf Pinyon (Pinus monophylla), and Mexican Pinyon (Pinus cembroides). The other eight pinyon species are used to a small extent, as are Gray Pine (Pinus sabineana), Coulter Pine (Pinus coulteri), Torrey Pine (Pinus torreyana), Sugar Pine (Pinus lambertiana) and Parry Pinyon (Pinus quadrifolia).

In the United States, pine nuts are mainly harvested by Native Americans, particularly the Uto-Aztecan: Shoshone, Paiute and Hopi, and Washoe tribes. Certain treaties negotiated by tribes and laws in Nevada guarantee Native Americans' right to harvest pine nuts.

Food is everywhere ;)  I should revive my work and make a thread

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #18 on: February 28, 2013, 07:47:28 pm »
Brown trout also crossed my mind but browns arent native to the usa.my new guess is yellowstone.probly where a hot spring and cold stream merge would be the starting point maybe.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

sky otter

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2013, 07:03:40 am »
robo
saw your post about women getting lost.. but as usual you didn't leave a link
so i went hunting and found this..is it what you meant?

Rescuers in New Mexico find hiker who got lost looking for treasure
By Susan Montoya Bryan \ Associated PressAssociated Press
Posted:   03/09/2013 09:10:34 PM MST

ALBUQUERQUE -- Search and rescue crews combed a rugged area of Bandelier National Monument early Saturday before finding a missing hiker who had traveled to Northern New Mexico to hunt for the hidden treasure of a Santa Fe antiquities dealer.

Medical personnel were called to the monument as a precaution after the 34-year-old Texas woman was found along the Ancho Canyon Trail, but Bandelier spokeswoman Claudia Brookshire said the woman appeared to be in good condition after running out of water and spending a frigid night outdoors.

"It's been in the 30s at night, so that's definitely a concern," Brookshire said.

Dispatchers had received a call Friday from a man in Texas who reported that his girlfriend was missing.

The woman, whose name was not immediately released, arrived at the monument Thursday to hike to the Upper Falls. She called her boyfriend to let him know she would return the next day. He called authorities after not hearing from her.

Members of the New Mexico Search and Rescue team and the Los Alamos Police Department set out to search the area along the Rio Grande near the Falls Trail and in the backcountry. They thought she might have headed down the trail and away from the monument's headquarters.

The trail from the Upper Falls to the river crosses rough terrain, having been washed out by a flash flood in 2011.

It turns out that the woman left Bandelier on Thursday. The next day, she parked her car at a gate bordering

U.S. Department of Energy property and hiked down the Rio Grande and up the Falls Trail. It began to rain, the sun was setting and she missed the trail on the way back to her car.

"Realizing she would have to spend the night, she found shelter near a rock," Brookshire said. "On Saturday, the hiker began re-tracing her steps and was able to find the trail back to her car."

She was found by search crews as she was walking back.

Brookshire said the young woman came to New Mexico after being inspired by an interview with antiquities dealer, author and former art gallery owner Forrest Fenn that aired last week on NBC's "Today Show."

Fenn sparked the treasure hunt in 2011 when he released his book, "The Thrill of the Chase," which features clues that could lead readers to the $2 million treasure he hid three years ago in the mountains north of Santa Fe.

Hidden in an old bronze lockbox, the booty includes pieces of gold, a 17th-century Spanish emerald ring, a ruby-studded bracelet, small diamonds and other items.

The missing woman's boyfriend told authorities she was attempting to find the treasure.

The search involved dog teams, technical rescue experts and three aircraft.

Monument officials used the hiker's experience to remind visitors to stay on marked trails and be prepared for changes in the weather. They also noted that it's illegal to dig, bury an item or use a metal detector on federal lands.

http://www.elpasotimes.com/ci_22757612/rescuers-new-mexico-find-hiker-who-got-lost

sky otter

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2013, 08:36:17 pm »

Mom who got lost on N.M. treasure hunt: 'I found what I needed'

Chanon Thompson was rescued after getting lost while hunting for Forrest Fenn's treasure.

By Erika Angulo, TODAY
The Texas woman whose quest for a chest full of gold ended in a frightful, freezing night in the New Mexico wilderness was reunited Tuesday with her rescuers.

Earlier this month, Chanon Thompson drove 10 hours from her Dallas home to Bandelier National Monument, where she spent the day exploring.

"I had the urge to go find the treasure and I’d looked and I knew that even if I didn’t find the treasure that something was pulling me here,” she told TODAY.

By nightfall, she had gotten lost among the heavy brush. She ended up spending the evening trying to find shelter from sleet and freezing temperatures.

Read: New clue revealed in hunt for New Mexico treasure chest
When she failed to check in with home, Thompson's boyfriend called authorities, who launched a search effort. She recently returned to Santa Fe to thank a pair of her rescuers.

Reunited Tuesday, search dog Callie greeted Thompson with slobbering kisses and a fast-wagging tail, while the dog's trainer, Cindy Oliver of Sandia Search Dogs in Albuquerque, embraced the treasure hunter. "I want to tell you how thankful I am,” said Thompson.

'I knew I had to stay calm'
Thompson learned of the treasure hunt on TODAY.com. She read the nine clues in a poem in his self-published autobiography and decided she knew where it might be.

The college student and mom planned a trip to the New Mexico mountains to locate the bronze chest full of gold coins and gemstones that Fenn said he hid.

Read the original clue-poem here

On March 8, armed with a black back pack filled with warm clothes, area maps, water and a flashlight, she parked by the trail she thought would lead her to the spot. Worried the heavy pack would slow her down, she left most of her provisions in the car.

She hiked the rocky trail for most of the day. As sunset approached, temperatures started plummeting; then came sleet. “That’s when I knew they were going to be issues,” Thompson said. She called her boyfriend Tom. “I told him it had started sleeting and I was trying to get back to my entrance point,” she said. She promised to call back in 15 minutes, but lost her cell signal. 

A 10:47 p.m. Los Alamos police department dispatchers got a call from Thompson’s boyfriend saying she had gone missing. The New Mexico Search and Rescue team was called to duty. “The weather that night was really bad,” said rescuer Oliver. Authorities forced open Thompson’s vehicle and took out a piece of clothing so Callie could pick up Thompson's scent.

Click here to read more about the tenth clue

Thompson sought refuge between two boulders. Her sweatshirt soaked, she curled up in a ball, buried her face in her T-shirt and focused on breathing. She wrapped her elastic sports bra around her ears. “I knew I had to stay calm,” she said. She slipped in and out of sleep.

As dawn broke, she stepped out of her shelter. Callie perked up when she spotted her. “She was dehydrated and complained about being nauseous,” said Oliver. “She was really happy to see us.”

The rescue worker wrapped Thompson in a coat. “They were so helpful and kind,” she said.

Thompson says her treasure hunting adventure was much more than just a search for gold. ”Your spirit is bigger than you think it is and sometimes you need to be challenged,” she said. “I found what I needed; I found my strength.”

Although she didn’t walk away with the treasure, Thompson said she feels she already won a prize.

“It’s about what you take on personally to challenge yourself and you'll get your own treasure,” she said.

Eun Kyung Kim contributed to this story.

Read more: Want to find his treasure worth millions? Head outdoors
Book containing treasure-hunt clues sells out.

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2013/03/27/17484948-mom-who-got-lost-on-nm-treasure-hunt-i-found-what-i-needed?lite=&lite=obinsite

lots of embedded links in the story

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2013, 02:09:12 am »
"On March 8, armed with a black back pack filled with warm clothes, area maps, water and a flashlight, she parked by the trail she thought would lead her to the spot. Worried the heavy pack would slow her down, she left most of her provisions in the car. "

"Stupid is as stupid does" ~ Forest Gump

sky otter

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2013, 08:04:05 am »

i would really hate if this was a joke..but sadly  it's looking like that  :-\

Forrest Fenn, New Mexico Man, Claims To Know Of Hidden Gold
By JERI CLAUSING 03/30/13 10:09 PM ET EDT 

SANTA FE, N.M. -- For more than a decade, he packed and repacked his treasure chest, sprinkling in gold dust and adding hundreds of rare gold coins and gold nuggets. Pre-Columbian animal figures went in, along with prehistoric "mirrors" of hammered gold, ancient Chinese faces carved from jade and antique jewelry with rubies and emeralds.

Forrest Fenn was creating a bounty, and the art and antiquities dealer says his goal was to make sure it was "valuable enough to entice searchers and desirable enough visibly to strike awe."

Occasionally, he would test that premise, pulling out the chest and asking his friends to open the lid.

"Mostly, when they took the first look," he says, "they started laughing," hardly able the grasp his amazing plan.

Was Fenn really going to give this glistening treasure trove away?

Three years ago, he lay two of his most beloved pieces of jewelry in the chest: a turquoise bracelet and a Tairona and Sinu Indian necklace adorned with exotic jewels. At the bottom of the chest, in an olive jar, he placed a detailed autobiography, printed so small a reader will need a magnifying glass. After that, he says, he carted the chest of loot, now weighing more than 40 pounds, into the mountains somewhere north of Santa Fe and left it there.

Next, Fenn self-published a memoir, "The Thrill of the Chase," distilling the autobiography and, intriguingly, including a poem that he says offers clues to lead some clever – or lucky – treasure hunter to the bounty.

It wasn't long before word of the hidden trove got out, and the publicity has caused a mini-gold rush in northern New Mexico.

But it has also set off a debate: Has Fenn truly hidden the treasure chest or was this, for the idiosyncratic, publicity-loving 82-year-old who loves to tell tales, just another way to have fun, a great caper to bolster his legacy?
One friend, Michael McGarrity, an author and former Santa Fe County sheriff's deputy, acknowledges it could be "a private joke," though he believes "Forrest has certainly buried something." If it was the treasure he saw, well, "it really is quite an astonishing sight to see."

There certainly seems to be no shortage of believers, including Doug Preston, whose novel "The Codex" about a notorious treasure hunter and tomb robber who buries himself and his treasure as a final challenge to his three sons, is loosely based on Fenn's story.

"I've seen the treasure. I've handled it. He has had it for almost as long as I've known him. It's real. And I can tell you that it is no longer in his vault," says Preston.

"I am 100 percent sure that he really did go out and hide this thing. I am actually surprised that anyone who knows him would think he was blowing hot air. It is just not his personality. He is not a tricky, conspiratorial, slick or dishonest person at all."

Fenn says his main goal is to get people, particularly children, away from their texting devices and looking for adventure outdoors.

But probably few are having more fun with the whole adventure than Fenn himself, a self-described schmoozer and endless flirt who is reveling in what he says are 13,000 emails from treasure hunters – not to mention 18 marriage proposals.

"His net worth is much higher than what he put in the bounty," says Preston, guessing the treasure's value is in the million-dollar range. "He is having way more than $1 million worth of fun with this."

___

It all began, Fenn says, more than 20 years ago, when he was diagnosed with cancer and given just a few years to live.

That's when he decided to buy the treasure chest and fill it with some of his favorite things.

"Nobody knows where it was going to be but me," he recalls thinking. He revised the clue-poem's wording several times over the years, and made other changes in his plans. For a time, he thought of having his bones with the treasure chest, though how that might have been accomplished is unclear.

"But then," Fenn says with a mischievous twinkle in his blue eyes, "I ruined the story by getting well."

In "The Thrill of the Chase," he lays out his unusual rags-to-riches story while sharing memories of his favorite adventures and mischief-making.

From the outset, the book tells readers the recollections "are as true to history as one man can average out that truth, considering the fact that one of my natural instincts is to embellish."

Average out the truth? Instinct to embellish? Well, one thing is certain: He certainly knows how to tell a tale.

Fenn was raised in Temple, Texas, where his father was a school principal, according to the book. The family was poor, he says, only eating meat on Sundays if there was a chicken to kill. But, Fenn writes, they spent every summer in Yellowstone National Park, where young Forrest and his brother Skippy launched many an adventure. He describes the brothers trying to fly a homemade plane and tells about being left on the side of the road after an argument during a road trip.

Fenn never went to college, although he did attend classes at Texas A&M University with his friends for a short time, before it was discovered he was not a registered student, the book says.

He married his high school sweetheart, Peggy Jean Proctor, and spent nearly two decades in the Air Force, including much-decorated service as a fighter pilot in Vietnam.

After returning to Texas, he, his wife and two daughters moved to Santa Fe, where, over time, he became one of this artistic enclave's best known and most successful gallery owners.

Details on how a man with no art background made such a dramatic but successful transition are scarce in his book. When asked to elaborate, he says simply, "I never went to college. I never went to business school. I never learned the rules that make businesses fail."

Those who know him credit his love of people. As an art dealer, he hosted a virtual who's who of the rich and famous at his gallery and guest house, including Jackie Kennedy Onassis, Sam Shephard, Jessica Lange and Michael Douglas, to name a few. Even at 82, he still throws one hell of a party, friends say, mixing up the guest list with the many actors, artists, writers and political leaders who live in or frequent this artistic mountain hideaway.

Perhaps the biggest misconception about Fenn – whom some locals refer to as Santa Fe's Indiana Jones – is that he was a treasure hunter himself.

"Forrest is a trader," said Dan Nietzel, a professional treasure hunter who has searched for Fenn's treasure. "He traded for these things. I think people think he went around digging all these things up."

But there are some intangibles Fenn has spent his life searching out.

"I love mysteries. I love adventures," he says.

As a teen, scouring Yellowstone every summer, he almost led friend Donnie Joe to an early demise when they got lost on horseback in Montana's Gallatin National Forest trying to retrace the steps of Lewis and Clark, according to his memoir.

"Donnie got in a serious swivet and wouldn't speak to me for a while, except to say that our unfortunate adventure was ill-conceived, dumb thought out, and I was over-rated like my horse," he writes.

His book moves on to the Vietnam War, describing his Air Force service, his combat missions and even his survival after being shot down.

While it's sometimes hard to know whether Fenn's zest for "embellishment" adds to his stories, military records emphatically back this chapter. They confirm that as a fighter pilot he was awarded the Distinguished Flying Cross, the Air Medal, silver and bronze stars, a purple heart and other medals. In one engagement, enemy fire shattered the canopy of his jet, cutting his face, and yet he continued to attack, the records show. In another, he showed "outstanding heroism," making repeated low strafing passes to draw fire until wounded forces on the ground could be rescued. He rose to the rank of major.

Fenn also describes himself as an amateur archaeologist. In the mid-1980s, he bought a ranch near Santa Fe that includes the 57-acre ancient pueblo of San Lazaro, where he has spent years digging up bones, pottery and other artifacts that he keeps in a room off his garage.

And while he says he made his fortune selling paintings, his love is clearly of antiquities. His personal study, which was designed to house a 17-by-28-foot Persian rug from the late 1800s, is filled from floor to ceiling with valuables, ranging from gilded fore-edge books to war memorabilia, a brandy bottle left in his guest house by Kennedy Onassis, and even what he says is Sitting Bull's pipe.

The Federal Bureau of Investigation in 2006 raided his home as part of an antiquities theft probe, but Fenn was never charged.

___

"Begin it where warm waters halt

And take it in the canyon down,

Not far, but too far to walk.

Put in below the home of Brown."

That's part of the poem of clues to the treasure's location, which Fenn published in his memoir three years ago. News reports have created a run on the book.

Based on the more than 9,000 emails Fenn says he has received just in the past few months, he estimates thousands of treasure hunters will descend on northern New Mexico this spring.

Dana Ortega, director of sales and marketing at Santa Fe's Inn and Spa at Loretto, said the hotel, which offers a special package starting at $300 that includes a copy of Fenn's now hard-to-find book, has seen a huge spike in interest.

"About 50 people came in on the package last year," she said. "Now our phones are ringing off the hook. ... So many people have the book so they are not all doing the package, but they call and want to stay here."

The local Chamber of Commerce should "give Forrest an award for increasing tourism," says McGarrity, his friend.

He talks of being stopped on the street by a man in a big truck with Texas plates, pulling an all-terrain vehicle and asking if he knew where Forrest Fenn lived.

"Are you hunting for treasure?" McGarrity asked.

"You betcha!" the Texan said.

But the publicity has also raised safety concerns.

A few weeks ago, a woman from Texas, drawn by a network report about the treasure, got lost searching the mountains near Los Alamos. She spent the night in the rugged terrain of Bandelier National Monument and was walking out the next day when rescuers found her. But the case prompted officials to warn searchers to be properly prepared for the outdoors. They also reminded the public it's illegal to dig, bury an item or use a metal detector on federal lands.

Also a concern: Fenn says he has had people ringing the buzzer at his gate and trying to follow him when he leaves.

For the most part, though, he says people reaching out to him are just trying to convince or trick him into giving more clues.

So far, the best anyone seems to have gotten out of him is that the treasure is more than 300 miles west of Toledo, not in Nevada, and more than 5,000 feet above sea level "in the Rocky Mountains. (Santa Fe, whose Sangre de Cristo mountains mark the start of the Rockies, is 7,260 feet above sea level.)

But he emphasizes two things: He never said the treasure was buried, and he never said it was in Santa Fe, or even New Mexico for that matter.

Nietzel says the most common place the clues about "where warm waters halt" first lead people is to Eagle Nest Lake, about 100 miles north of Santa Fe, because it has a dam that holds back warm water and is known for its brown trout.

Others are sure it must be in Yellowstone, because of Fenn's history there and his deep knowledge of the park.

Nietzel says he has made 29 searches for the treasure in six states, and he plans to resume his efforts when it gets a little warmer in the mountains.

Another friend of Fenn's, Santa Fe jeweler Marc Howard, says he has made about 20 searches, and is "still trying to match my wits against a seemingly impossible poem."

The scheme is similar to a treasure hunt launched in 1979 by the author of a British children's book, "Masquerade," which had clues to the location of an 18-carat jeweled golden hare hidden somewhere in Britain. That rabbit was found in 1982, although it was later revealed it was found with the help of the author's former live-in girlfriend.

Fenn, who lives with his wife in a gated estate near the center of town, insists he is the only person who knows where his treasure is hidden. Asked what his two daughters, Kelly and Zoe, think of him hiding part of their and their seven kids' inheritance, he replies only that "they've been saying for years that I am crazy." He doubts they have any interest in finding it, but says he wouldn't be surprised if one of two grandsons has gone looking for it.

And he is ambivalent about whether the chest is found soon, or even in his lifetime.

But "when a person finds that treasure chest, whether it's tomorrow or 10,000 years from now and opens the lid, they are going to go into shock. It is such a sight."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/31/forrest-fenn-gold_n_2988437.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news
« Last Edit: April 01, 2013, 08:09:52 am by sky otter »

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2013, 09:39:02 am »
Here's an option:

http://ow.ly/i/1VQdE

"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2013, 10:27:44 am »
you could always run your debt up real high then get on that one way trip to mars.

Dumbledore

space otter

« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2015, 09:17:27 pm »

http://www.fennhotspot.com/

http://dalneitzel.com/tag/travel-channel/

watched this one tonight..interesting but looking more like a hoax...sigh

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB7KfJdBphM[/youtube]

Expedition Unknown | Season 2 Episode 6 | Finding Fenns Fortune 

Expedition Unknown   
  Published on Nov 19, 2015

Season 02, Episode 06 – “Finding Fenns Fortune”
Josh goes exploring deep in the Rocky Mountains for a treasure worth $2 million.

Category
People & Blogs

License
Standard YouTube License

space otter

« Reply #26 on: May 06, 2016, 08:30:29 am »

wow wish I could change those colors to black.. they are hard to read..i'm thinking there is another thread on folks hunting for this treasure but don't have time to search right now..maybe later

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/treasure-hunters-disappearance-still-a-mystery-after-months/ar-BBsHxXk?li=BBnbfcL
Associated Press
By SUSAN MONTOYA BRYAN, Associated Press6 hrs ago

Treasure hunter's disappearance still a mystery after months

© Provided by Associated Press The Colorado man disappeared in early January 2016 while searching for a $2 million cache of gold and jewels in northern New Mexico. The recent discovery of a backpack on a rugged slope at Bandelier National Monument has…
ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. — Fixated on computer screens and video monitors, an army of volunteers scattered across the country has been painstakingly reviewing hundreds of images and hours of footage recorded over the last four months, desperately hoping to find a single clue to the whereabouts of missing treasure hunter Randy Bilyeu.

The Colorado man disappeared in early January in a remote part of northern New Mexico while searching for a $2 million cache of riches supposedly hidden several years ago by an eccentric antiquities dealer.

From the shadow of a blue heron flying low over the Rio Grande to a scrap of cardboard, nothing has gotten passed the volunteers who are looking for Bilyeu.

The group, linked through email and social media, is analyzing every stretch of the rugged canyons and plateaus along the river via drones and telephoto lenses. Some are searching by foot and boat.

Psychics have even reached out and federal authorities say they're checking areas within Bandelier National Monument where it's too dangerous for the public to go.

"Words cannot express the gratitude the family has for all the caring individuals who take time out of their busy lives to help, in one way or another, search for Randy," said ex-wife Linda Bilyeu. "He would be humbled if he knew how many people he has touched."

The family has no intension of giving up the search for Bilyeu, a father and grandfather who would have celebrated his 55th birthday in February.

"However long it takes, we will find Randy," said Linda Bilyeu, as she sorted through dozens of messages while trying to coordinate the hunt from her home in Orlando, Florida.

Pulses quickened last week when, for the first time in months, a clue was discovered — a blue backpack near the top of a rugged, rocky slope at Bandelier. The search was re-energized and park officials began investigating.

Based on what's in the pack, there's a strong indication it belonged to Bilyeu but authorities have yet to make an official determination.

Bandelier Superintendent Jason Lott confirmed this week the search is still active.

As they wait for word, the volunteers are focusing instead on areas outside the park. They launched a canoe trip down the Rio Grande on Thursday and another drone flight is planned this weekend.

Thursday marked four months since Bilyeu set out in his raft in search for the treasure — a bronze box said to be full of gold, jewels and other artifacts.

Bilyeu dreamed of finding the treasure. He moved out West two years go and began researching spots where he believed New Mexico antiquities dealer and author Forrest Fenn hid the loot.

Bilyeu vanished after setting out to raft part of the Rio Grande west of Santa Fe. His raft and dog were found after he was reported missing but there was no sign of him.

He had scouted the area in the weeks leading up to his disappearance. His maps were dotted with notes and references to the cryptic clues laid out by Fenn in his memoire.

"Where warm waters halt ... in the canyon down ... too far to walk ..." The clues have inspired tens of thousands of people to look for the treasure, from Yellowstone National Park to the foothills of the Rocky Mountains.

Fenn dismisses those who suggest the treasure isn't real. It's still out there, he says, while cautioning would-be hunters that it's in a place where an 80-year-old man could hide it.

Some say the treasure hunt should be called off. Even the volunteers are mindful of the dangers of searching — whether it's for the treasure or for Bilyeu.

After four months, the odds have yet to deter the volunteers — a nod to Linda Bilyeu's determination and the efforts of family and friends to keep alive Randy's sense of adventure and humor.

"Randy is going to continue to play hide and seek while we continue to guess where he is," Linda Bilyeu said.

Offline Norval

• Gold 161
  • hmmmm what should go here? Ahh, a question!
    • Crater Chains Research
« Reply #27 on: May 06, 2016, 12:17:59 pm »
I think yah otter highlight the words with yer pointer or mousie thingy.

Just a suggestion to see the words better when folks make em in colors that are hard to read.  :)

(gold gladly accepted for such a good suggestion.)   ;D
It's the questions that drive us, , , the answers that guide us.
 What will you know tomorrow? Have a question?
Send me an email at craterchains@yahoo.com

space otter

« Reply #28 on: September 05, 2016, 04:50:49 pm »

obviously you can run but you can't hide ..for long..but you may be dead..sigh

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/weekendreads/a-treasure-hunter-went-missing-in-the-rocky-mountains-and-a-computer-algorithm-found-him-months-later/ar-AAil0Pz?li=BBnb7Kz&ocid=U348DHP

A treasure hunter went missing in the Rocky Mountains, and a computer algorithm found him months later

Quartz QuartzJacek Krywko
6 hrs ago
When Randy Bilyeu disappeared, he was hunting for the Fenn Treasure, a chest allegedly filled with gold, precious stones, and jewelry, supposedly hidden in the Rocky Mountains north of Santa Fe, New Mexico.

In 2010, millionaire art dealer (and Former Vietnam fighter pilot) 79-year-old Forrest Fenn filled a bronze chest with rare metals, jewels, and artifacts, and then hid it in the mountains. Later that year, he published his autobiography,The Thrill of the Chase, which included a 24-line poem that he says contains the clues necessary to track down the treasure chest. Since then, he’s become something of a global celebrity; in 2013, he appeared on NBC’s Today Show to issue some new clues about the place where the chest had been hidden. Bilyeu happened to catch the episode on TV and became obsessed with finding the Fenn treasure—against all odds and his friends and family’s better judgement.

Soon after New Years Eve 2016, Bilyeu arrived in Santa Fe, a city that hosts “Fennboree” camping weekends every year, and where $100 will buy a map signed personally by Forrest Fenn. On Jan. 3, Bilyeu checked out of his motel and bought an inflatable raft. On Jan. 5, he went out into the mountains, leaving a message with a friend that he’d be back tomorrow. But he didn’t, and after a week and a half of unsuccessfully trying to contact Bilyeu by phone, his ex-wife Linda called the cops.

The next day, local police found his raft and starving terrier named Leo. But there was no trace of Bilyeu. A few weeks worth of search-and-rescue missions also came to nothing. Linda Bilyeu didn’t give up though and organized a group of volunteers to keep the search up. One of them was Jerry Snyder, a retired Drug Enforcement Administration special agent and founder of theFind Me Group, a nonprofit organization based in Chandler, Arizona, offering professional help in finding missing people.

“Since 2002 we’ve had over 400 such cases. Find Me relies heavily on volunteers, so I’ve been thinking about the way to use their time as efficiently as possible,” says Snyder. “I came up with the idea of an artificially intelligent system that could be fed with all the evidence we’ve gathered on a particular case and which would give us some approximated location of the person in question on that basis. Sadly, I was no computer genius.”

So Snyder contacted the nearby Arizona State University and eventually got in touch with Paulo Shakarian, an assistant professor and head of the Cyber-Socio Intelligent Systems Laboratory there. Shakarian, a West Point graduate, specializes in a technique called “geospatial abduction.”

Essentially, it’s an artificial intelligence system that figures out the current location of someone (or thing) using a data set of known previous locations. For example, geospatial abduction can pinpoint the location of a bear’s cave using the coordinates of animal’s droppings, or a serial killer’s address using the coordinates of known killings. Serial killers usually attack within six miles from their home, and bears will stay within the same distance of their cave when they go out on their daily hunts or bathroom trips. Shakarian has designed algorithms that take information like that into account, ingest data points, and, after ruling out obviously impossible locations like lakes, rivers and so on, come up with the most feasible solution to current whereabouts. As with most algorithms of this sort, the more data—the more killings or droppings—the more likely for the solution to be correct.

The technology proved its worth in counterinsurgency operations in Afghanistan. An AI system that Shakarian co-designed with scientists from the University of Maryland (called called SCARE-S2, for Spatio-Cultural Abductive Reasoning Engine System 2), was able to locate insurgent leaders and their major supply depots.

Now, Shakarian began adapting SCARE-S2 into something he was calling MIST, for Missing Person Intelligence Synthesis Toolkit. The idea, he says, “was to pull the same trick off with finding missing people.”

Input coordinates are pretty clear when it comes to tracking down bears, serial killers, and even insurgents. But in the Bilyeu case, there were no certain data points. Instead, Shakarian and Snyder brought in around 20 experts to make educated guesses as to Bilyeu’s current location. Then they fed those coordinates into the algorithm.

But there was one other problem: in the world of mysterious disappearances and hidden treasures, “experts” are often eccentric. “We use the expertise of retired law enforcement and skilled search and rescue professionals, even the talents of hyper-intuitive individuals, trying not to miss anything that could be a valuable contribution,” says Snyder. By “hyper-intuitive individuals” he means psychics, mediums, and one man who describes himself as a “certified forensic astrologist.” Snyder insisted that MIST take their input into account, so Shakarian and his computer scientist students had to find a reasonable way of dealing with this. Their idea was beautifully simple.

Modern AI systems are often trained rather than programmed. In other words, they learn from examples and not rules. MIST was no different: they took 24 closed missing persons cases from Find Me’s files, and fed them to their AI software. Then, the AI “compared coordinates provided by each expert with coordinates of the location where a missing person was actually found,” says Shakarian. “On that basis MIST ascribed a weight to each expert’s input.”

Thus, when the AI was deployed on the Bilyeu case, it already knew its way around the Snyder’s team—whose guesses were likely to be pretty accurate and whose needed to be taken with a grain (or two) of salt, and how best to weigh outliers against team agreement on specific data points. Using that information, the AI took the experts’ estimates, and spit out what it believed to be Bilyeu’s whereabouts. Towards the end of July 2016, they passed MIST’s coordinate guesses on to the police in Santa Fe.

A few days later, an engineer working for the US Army Corps of Engineersstumbled on Bilyeu’s remains, on bank of the Rio Grande river, under a thick tanglement of branches and covered with leaves. The location matched MIST predictions—and in fact, the area had been searched more than once before, but because of all vegetation, the body had been missed to that point. Sadly, no AI in the world can pinpoint the exact heap of leaves that in such case needs to be turned. Nevertheless—and despite the fact that 24 cases was a relatively small set of data to use to teach the AI—the finding was encouraging: “At the end of the day MIST has passed its real world test with flying colors,” Snyder says.

Now, the team wants to tweak MIST so that it could work in homicide and human trafficking cases as well. Snyder has already approached several law enforcement agencies in the US and INTERPOL in Europe for access to their databases. But even if those projects don’t get off the ground, MIST could have a huge impact: 4,000 people go missing in the US every day. According to the research published by Shakarian and Snyder, a team using MIST can find a missing person average two days faster than a team without it. “The sooner we find them, the more likely we find them unharmed and alive,” says Snyder

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #29 on: September 05, 2016, 08:46:25 pm »
i thought i done hacked where the treasure was.while on pegasus.i thought one of you guys would have found it by now.
if i found it ,i wouldnt say nothin.otherwise the irs gets some.

Dumbledore

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]