collapse

Author Topic: "Missing" Lunar Orbiter Tapes Found In an Abandoned McDonald's  (Read 42761 times)

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
  • Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    • PEGASUS RESEARCH CONSORTIUM
Re: Missing Lunar Orbiter Tapes Found In an Abandoned McDonald's
« Reply #45 on: August 26, 2011, 08:19:55 pm »
NASA unveils lunar image recovery project
November 13, 2008 4:57 PM PST

FULL SIZE

NASA has released a fully restored 42-year-old image of Earth taken from the moon. The image was released as part of a project that will allow scientists at NASA and beyond to compare historical images of the moon with new images that will be captured when NASA sends new missions to the moon in the coming years.
(Credit: NASA/LOIRP)

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13772_3-10097025-52.html?part=rss

I guess the hornets nest has been stirred now. At least ATS was at the for front of the story :P

Now THIS one is interesting. The above image is a section from LO I - 102

« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:02:36 am by zorgon »
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #46 on: August 26, 2011, 08:20:50 pm »
NASA Unveils 42-Year-Old Historic Lunar Image

Here is the Official NASA release...

NASA Unveils 42-Year-Old Historic Lunar Image

Here is the Official NASA CORRECTION :P

RELEASE : 08_99AR
Correction -- NASA Restores Historic Lunar Orbiter Image

Good old NASA... Never A Straight Answer :P

Lunar Orbiter Image Recovery Project (LOIRP) Overview

Here is a website by Keith Cowing with more pictures and facts, as well as some Lunar Images From Chandrayaan-1

Moonviews
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:15:38 am by zorgon »
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #47 on: August 26, 2011, 08:21:15 pm »
Originally posted by StargateSG7

Are these scanning artifacts from the videotape read process itself or they artifacts from the cameras on the lunar orbiters which only took small vertical swaths of imagery to be stitched together using an optical process?

Imagery Information
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:16:48 am by zorgon »

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
« Reply #48 on: August 26, 2011, 08:22:44 pm »
Originally posted by Dr. X

Zorgon,

Sorry that I have been away so long. I was very busy as I am directly involved in the Lunar Orbiter Data Recovery project, at least for now. On the 13th of this month I was at NASA Ames Research Center at Moffett Field for the public release of this project - which you know about already. The link is here:

www.collectspace.com...

The video on that site was taken at that conference.

However, there is a back story to all of this and I will ultimately put it up on my web site which will reveal what my involvement in this project is. When I do, I will post a link to it here if you like. It should be fairly soon. Sorry to say that there are no conspiracies about moon bases etc. that I am aware of, but I can tell about an interesting encounter that I had with Richard Hoagland around 1996 concerning his claims if you like.

Also I must say that I was impressed as to how one of your readers tracked down the site. Who would have imagined that there was a list of CLOSED McDonalds! Open, yes. Closed? Never. Live and learn. Apparently one person actually did show up at the site, so I was told (I wasn't there at the time). I believe he is the one who said that they were 'just a bunch of guys who had an interesting project and that is all they wanted to do.' And that is the truth. The dataset represents, according to some estimates, about 1.2 terra bytes of information, which is a real treasure trove for researchers when digitized. This is because up to now that data was available in one of two formats: about 2,000 each of 28" x 30" prints (very expensive), or about 35 microfiche (not as expensive - but you need a reader and the resolution is less). Soon they will be available as a CD or DVD at a modest cost - or directly down-loadable. As the resolution is unprecedented, issues as to whether the "glass towers" etc. are real or are processing artifacts should be resolved fairly easily. I'm voting for 'processing artifacts' myself.

In the mean time can I ask a favor of you? I would like to know if there is a link to the original posting that started this thread? That is the one with the video and all the other information that started this whole thing. Can you post it for me? Thanks in advance.

Also is it possible to contact you directly? It is a Dragon related thing.

Thanks again.

~ Dr. X ~
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:31:16 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: "Missing" Lunar Orbiter Tapes Found In an Abandoned McDonald's
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2011, 02:10:49 am »
Originally posted by Dr. X I am directly involved in the Lunar Orbiter Data Recovery project,

Hmmm why am I not surprised by this? ;)

Sorry to say that there are no conspiracies about moon bases etc. that I am aware of, but I can tell about an interesting encounter that I had with Richard Hoagland around 1996 concerning his claims if you like.

No moon bases? :o but I would like to get your opinion about a certain 'rock' ;) and I would love to here your Hoagland story... on or off the record :D

Soon they will be available as a CD or DVD at a modest cost - or directly down-loadable.

So ummmm a signed copy for all the free advertising? :P

If your still on that 'limited budget' try MIXONIC for DVD/CD. They are very close to you downton SF and have a small minimum of only 100 for 179.00.
Includes:
• CD duplication
• Black disc printing
• Full color 2-panel insert
• Thin jewel case

They did a great job for us... ready in two days

In the mean time can I ask a favor of you?  I would like to know if there is a link to the original posting that started this thread?

The original links that started this threat were the two posts on Flicker that were deleted and the one youtube video. The information and original photo are still on my website, though not the comments from other users. However I do have both those pages saved in 'archives' as well as the youtube video...

As I only had permission for the first two... I did not copy those to my site. So I cannot post it unless I get authorization, but I can email you a copy... since your with the project.

The rest of the material is collected here... with the first comments from Flicker by Steve Jurvetson. There is also one other person I am in contact with who wishes to remain anonymous at this time... Hehe but it could be you for all I know ;)

Also is it possible to contact you directly?  It is a Dragon related thing.

standauffish@earthlink.net

Thanks for popping in...  I had a lot more to post but thought it best to 'hold off' as 'requested' ;)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #50 on: August 31, 2011, 02:32:09 am »
Originally posted by Dr. X

Originally posted by Maxmars
    reply to post by Dr. X

Here's to much success to you and your colleagues in your efforts! Hope we can see them soon, unless NASA can cook up a reason not to share *sigh*.
MM

Thanks for the good wishes MM. It will be some time though. The reason is that the tape run time is about 50 minutes per tape and with handling, figure one hour. There are about 2,000 tapes so that is a "man year" of work. This is because only one drive is operational at the moment. There is a possibility that another one will be brought up in the near future if funding can be acquired, in which case the time could be compressed to about 6 months. In any case the data will be made public I am sure. This is because NASA's policy is that the raw data is public, but any value added can be charged for. So, presumably, one will be able to download the reconstructed images for free (if you have the bandwidth), but the LOIRP could sell the raw data on some media as digitization and media is value added.

~ Dr. X ~
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:35:15 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #51 on: August 31, 2011, 02:48:01 am »
Some Videos released since all this started

Restoring Forgotten Lunar Orbiter Images

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k_nKtxal5dw[/youtube]

New Video about the tapes... Dennis Wingo presents... 48,000 lbs of tape :D

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuHKbU0i0q8[/youtube]

LOIRP Second Operational FR-900 Milestone

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Awc6dm_kvV8[/youtube]

Two FR-900's Operational

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vfc0NLGAaow[/youtube]

And finally it makes main stream news, complete with the Pirate flag and the 'affectionate' name McMOON

Found this Associated Press video

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bwbw1vhtZ0g[/youtube]

Amazing how quiet the thread got after this  :o what's up with that? Where are all the detractors who screamed hoax and BS?  Oh yeah forgot... like roaches when the lights come on  ;D

::)
« Last Edit: August 31, 2011, 02:54:31 am by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #52 on: August 31, 2011, 02:50:18 am »
Originally posted by Mike Singh

Case Closed  ;D

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking