collapse

Author Topic: kindness counts  (Read 14453 times)

space otter

Re: kindness counts
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2015, 06:56:42 am »

I have given up..long ago on trying to save the whole world.. if the gloom and doom folks are right  then I will deal with it as it hits my small living area
in the mean time I will do what I can for those nearest to me

reading this the question becomes.. not if you are an angel but whose angle are you today..

and some dazes you have to be your own angel and look hard to find the beauty that surrounds us

http://www.msn.com/en-us/lifestyle/mind-and-soul/5-year-old-makes-entire-waffle-house-cry-with-goodwill-gesture-toward-homeless-man/ar-BBjWf8w

5-year-old makes entire Waffle House cry with goodwill gesture toward homeless man

Five-year-olds seemingly ask questions non-stop. Sometimes, those queries make their parents uncomfortable—what happens when we die, how do babies get into mommy's tummy, why are we driving so fast that policeman behind us wants us to pull over? But when that parent can give a direct answer, it can make a huge difference to someone in need.

Thus, when 5-year-old Josiah Duncan recently spotted a man outside a Waffle House restaurant in Prattville, Ala., with only a bag and a bike, he asked his mother, Ava Faulk, a question about him. Faulk told her son that he was homeless, and Duncan asked what that meant.

After she explained it, though, Duncan—apparently troubled by the idea that this man had no food to eat—had a request for his mom. Buy this man a meal, he told her.

More from WAAF:

"[The man] came in and sat down, and nobody really waited on him," Faulk explained. "So Josiah jumped up and asked him if he needed a menu because you can't order without one."

The man insisted on a cheap hamburger to start, but he was assured he could have anything he wanted. He got the works.

"Can I have bacon?" Faulk remembers him asking, "And I told him get as much bacon you want."

Before the man could take the first bite, Josiah insisted on doing something.

"I wanted to say the blessing with him," Duncan said.

When the pre-meal blessing was complete, there apparently wasn't a dry eye in the place. And Josiah's actions filled his mother with pride.

"You never know who the angel on Earth is, and when the opportunity comes you should never walk away from it," Faulk told the TV station. "Watching my son touch the 11 people in that Waffle House tonight will be forever one of the greatest accomplishments as a parent I'll ever get to witness."

YouTube: 5 year old's touching gesture feeds homeless man at Waffle House

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2015, 02:48:34 pm »
in the mean time I will do what I can for those nearest to me

This has been my message for many years. :D

and some days you have to be your own angel and look hard to find the beauty that surrounds us

Yes  it is also hard to help others when you yourself are hurting.  Most self help orgs will tell you to heal yourself and family FIRST before you take on others  and then only take on what you can handle.

Back when we had the Medieval group strong... we found that in numbers you can help more people and at the same time help yourself

5 year olds do ask those questions. LOL but I do wonder how many of those with tears took that lesson to heart after they left...

Nice story :D

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2015, 05:09:07 pm »
No calamity befalls those who take refuge in you, and they who resort to you become a refuge to others.

--  The Durga Saptaslokistotra.

If we acknowledge the existence of compassionate Gods, then we have a moral duty to act as a physical avatar of said Gods.  Kali has shown me unconditional love.  If I show anyone else, anything else, then I am not worthy of her.  Before any of the rest of you say it, I am aware that my failure rate in doing so is around 90%.

One of the things that I am currently trying to learn, is that for me to surrender to misanthropy in response to my perception of the continual hubris, stupidity, and overall degeneracy of the rest of my species, is in itself morally wrong, and renders me a hypocrite of the worst order.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

space otter

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2015, 06:24:13 am »

is in itself morally wrong, and renders me a hypocrite of the worst order.

no pets r us..
 I  don't think self awareness is  surrender .. it's simply self awareness
recognition is not surrender.. it's simply recognition

knowledge of being attached while not  part of something is to ask the question

and   grasp the absurdity as we ask..
what the hell AM I HERE FOR?....

perhaps the knowledge of the asking is all there is

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2015, 01:35:35 pm »
If we acknowledge the existence of compassionate Gods, then we have a moral duty to act as a physical avatar of said Gods.
Why do we have to acknowledge the existence of compassionate Gods, can't we just act that way, gods or no gods?

Offline Glaucon

• Blank
  • Gold 13
« Reply #20 on: May 20, 2015, 05:25:10 pm »
This is a great thread!
"The beginning of wisdom comes with the definition of terms" -Socrates

"..that the people being ignorant, and always discontented, to lay the foundation of government in the unsteady opinion and uncertain humour of the people, is to expose it to certain ruin" -Locke

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #21 on: May 20, 2015, 09:16:21 pm »
Why do we have to acknowledge the existence of compassionate Gods

We don't have to, Armap.  Principled atheism can and does exist, and I acknowledge that.  The Samhkya philosophy of Patanjali and the earliest known Yogis, which Vivekananda describes in his Raja Yoga, was atheistic.  It is pure mechanism and entirely reproducible, at least the way he describes it; although I truthfully do not have the authority to speak about that, because I am a very long way from realisation.  I believe in it to a sufficient degree, however, that I believe it to be worth my investigation.

This is truthfully why I do not understand why more atheists do not seem to have studied Advaita Vedanta, because according to that system, liberation is still entirely possible (although considerably more difficult) without any belief in God.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Elvis Hendrix

• Gold 398
  • It is not the critic that counts.
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2015, 05:01:57 am »
Why bring god into this ? why on earth some people still cling to such a divisive concept, is beyond me.
imagine people simply being kind to each other. Every day , everywhere.
wouldn't that be something. :)
"Today, a young man on acid realized that all matter is merely energy condensed to a slow vibration – that we are all one consciousness experiencing itself subjectively. There's no such thing as death, life is only a dream, and we're the imagination of ourselves. Here's Tom with the weather."
B H.

space otter

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2015, 05:17:53 am »
Why bring god into this ? why on earth some people still cling to such a divisive concept, is beyond me.
imagine people simply being kind to each other. Every day , everywhere.
wouldn't that be something

that was the entire point of this thread Elvis.. to show that a kindness to others is  important
and does exist
but we got side tracked..as usual

space otter

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2015, 10:56:22 am »

ok back on track....

one human being kind to another human...

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/virginia-state-trooper-helps-young-black-man-with-flat-tire/ar-BBk08tl

Virginia state trooper helps young black man with flat tire

New York Daily News
MELISSA CHAN
4 hrs ago

A white Virginia state trooper who kneeled down to help a stranded young black man change a flat tire, and then stayed by his side all night until help arrived, has become a hero in the eyes of his grateful mother.

"This kind officer approached him didn't ask if the little Mercedes was stolen but rather got on his knees to replace his tire," mom Nada Owusu wrote in a Facebook post that has gone viral.

Owusu's 20-year-old undergraduate son Joseph Owusu was driving home to Danville from Virginia Tech last Thursday when his back tire blew on the road "in the middle of nowhere," she said.

That's when Virginia State Trooper Matt Okes stepped in to try to fix the flat.

When he couldn't, the law enforcement officer kept the student company on the dark road for over four hours until his mother and AAA arrived at 1 a.m.

Then he trailed them in his police vehicle until he knew they were fine to drive on their own, Owusu said.

"What really impressed me is not just the fact that he tried to change the tire, which I didn’t even know police did," Owusu told the Daily News.

"What touched me more was that he didn’t leave him on that road, where he could have been hit by another car. As a mother, that really meant a lot to me."

Owusu's post has been shared more than 21,000 times and liked by more than 400 people, including TV personality Montel Williams, who called Okes' assistance an "act of heroic kindness."

"Too often we look at very specific instances where police miss the mark, and it's equally if not more important to recognize the countless Trooper Okes' of the world who quietly serve with distinction and embody EVERYTHING we want our Police to be," Williams wrote. "Trooper Okes, thank you for your service."

Owusu said the message has even reached those in Ferguson, Mo., the site of recent turmoil between police and protesters, where white police officer Darren Wilson fatally shot Michael Brown, an unarmed black teen in August.

“Somebody in Ferguson told me it was uplifting and that they’re beginning to heal,” Owusu, a pediatrician, said. “That really touched me. This was a simple, worried mother’s post trying to thank one officer. This was accidental, but it’s bringing healing.

“I believe that people want to hope again -- that they can still believe in our officers,” she added. “The officers need the community to believe they are there for our own good.”

The kind act has even changed Joseph Owusu's perception of police officers.

“When my son saw that officer, he didn’t think the officer would help him. And that’s sad," Nada Owusu said. "Now he knows."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2015, 12:53:44 pm »
I thought I started a thread on GOOD COP reports? :D

space otter

« Reply #26 on: May 25, 2015, 07:18:26 pm »

the party for the guy from reply #10

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/offbeat/dancing-man-honored-at-hollywood-celeb-dance-party/ar-BBke0eV?ocid=ansnewsNYDailyNews11

'Dancing Man' honored at Hollywood celeb dance party

© JONATHAN ALCORN/Newscom/Reuters "Dancing Man" Sean O'Brien dances at the #IAmDancingMan party at the Avalon Hollywood in Los Angeles, California May 23, 2015.

Dancing Man got his groove back.

A portly chap who got fat-shamed by Internet trolls was the guest of honor at a star-studded dance party in Los Angeles on Saturday.

British business man Sean O'Brien got the name "Dancing Man" after web dweebs on the message board 4Chan ruthlessly mocked photos of him busting a move on a dance floor in photos posted online in March.

"Spotted this specimen trying to dance the other week," the poster sneered along with the pics, which showed O'Brien grooving one moment and then appearing to hang his head in shame in the next. "He stopped when he saw us laughing."

Once the photos went viral, Free Thought Project writer Cassandra Fairbanks started a "#finddancingman" campaign to identify the cheery bloke and show him some love.

It caught the attention of thousands of Twitter users, including singer Pharrell Williams, musician Moby and pop singer Ellie Goulding, all of whom agreed to support a dance party in his honor.

The 47-year-old Liverpool native got the last laugh this weekend when party organizers flew him to Hollywood for a bash attended by hundreds of supporters, including "Party Hard" rocker Andrew W.K., presidential paramour turned anti-bullying crusader Monica Lewinsky and Moby, who DJ'd the event.

The throw down also featured a performance by Pharrell, who appeared via video.

O'Brien called the experience "truly life-changing."

"It was daunting at first. I was a bit worried about how it all happened but it's turned into the most wonderful journey, I've met some of the most wonderful people you can imagine," he told Good Morning Britain on Monday.

O'Brien's U.S. tour included a stopover in New York, where he appeared on "Today" Friday and danced on stage with "All About That Bass" singer Meghan Trainor.

And on Sunday, O'Brien was a guest of honor at the Dodgers Stadium, where he threw out the first pitch before the L.A. Dodgers-San Diego Padres game.

The Los Angeles dance party, meanwhile, which was orgranized by Fairbanks and Hope Leigh, raised more than $70,000 for the anti-cyberbullying organization The Cybersmile Foundation, "Today" reported.

"This is amazing," Fairbanks told L.A.'s KABC-TV. "It really shows power of people. If everybody comes together to do something nice look what you can accomplish."

space otter

« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 08:26:26 pm »
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/hundreds-repaint-older-mans-home-after-teens-make-hurtful-comments/ar-BBlEmM3

Hundreds repaint older man's home after teens make hurtful comments

© Josh Cyganik via Facebook Josh Cyganik and other good samaritans painted the home of an elderly neighbor. Photo of house shown before painting on Josh Cyganik and other good samaritans painted the home of an elderly neighbory. Photo…

After hearing two teenagers mock the state of an elderly man's home, Josh Cyganik, an Oregon railroad worker, decided to take action.

For the past four years, Cyganik has started each morning the same way. He leaves his home in Pendleton, Ore., and waves to his neighbor, 75-year-old Leonard Bullock, who often sits on the front porch of his home.

In early July, Cyganik overheard two teenagers say the home should be "burned to the ground" as they walked by Bullock's house. Unfortunately, Bullock could hear the teens.

"I saw the look on Leonard's face. I could tell the comment bothered him," Cyganik said in an interview posted on his employer Union Pacific Railroad's website.

Cyganik said he couldn't stop thinking about Bullock and decided to do something. He asked Bullock if he would like to have his house painted.

"He was ecstatic," Cyganik said.

In need of a few extra hands to help paint the home, Cyganik asked for help via Facebook.

The post was shared over 6,000 times and on July 18, hundreds of volunteers were waiting to help Cyganik at Bullock's house. He said the good will didn't stop with a new paint job. Volunteers purchased outdoor furniture. Construction of a new porch is also currently underway.

© Josh Cyganik via Facebook Josh Cyganik and other good samaritans painted the home of an elderly neighbor. Photo of house shown before painting on Josh Cyganik and other good samaritans painted the home of an elderly neighbory. Photo…

The house that once had paint peeling from the boards is now a warm beige color.

"Yeah, it was a random act of kindness, but to me it's more about respect," Cyganik said in the Union Pacific post. "I was raised to respect the people who came before you, to help others out who don't have much. Leonard can now sit on his front porch for the rest of his years while feeling good about his home."

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 08:30:27 pm »

Hell yeah! Boom!  8)

space otter

« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2015, 10:36:10 am »

maybe because they are public servants we hear more about them

I try to never be in a hurry when I go to the grocery store cause there is always a short older-than-me person who needs help reaching that top shelf...and someone to talk to  ;D
someday that may be me and hopefully I have enough karma to have someone to talk to then

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/greater-manchester-police-stu-ockwell_5644a786e4b060377347daca?cps=gravity_5057_-2067076697855671393

Kimberly YamAfter Couple Calls Police Because They’re Lonely, Cops Respond With Sweet Surprise

To protect and to serve -- tea.

Associate Good News Editor, The Huffington Post
Posted: 11/13/2015 08:15 AM EST

For these police officers, their jobs aren't just about fighting crime -- but also caring for the citizens they serve.

Police Constable Stu Ockwell and a colleague from the Greater Manchester Police in England, responded to a call earlier this week from 95-year-old Doris Thomson. The officers assumed that someone had fallen or gotten hurt, according to the Manchester Evening News, but when they arrived at the woman's house, they discovered that the Doris and her 95-year-old husband Fred Thomson, who's blind, just wanted someone to talk to.
So the officers did something perhaps not typically associated with those in law enforcement  -- they brewed some tea for the couple and hung out with them for a bit, ITV News reported.

"It was a nice change to have somebody to talk to," Ockwell told ITV News. "I was very pleased to know there was help about and pleased to talk to them because sometimes you can be a bit isolated as you get older but they made me feel at home."

Ockwell and his colleague spent about half an hour with the couple, having tea. Fred even told them a bit about his past.

"Fred told us the stories of when he was in the war," Ockwell said, according to The Telegraph. "He’s an amazing character and had us in fits of laughter and to me it made my day.”

Ockwell explained that though the call didn't have to do with a medical injury like he'd originally assumed, the visit was necessary.

"The lady’s husband has gone blind and she struggles to look after him," he said, according to the Manchester Evening News. "It was out of desperation, really. She isn’t very well herself."

The officer said that while the couple has supportive neighbors, they were just looking for a little help. Something he'd be happy to provide again.

"We’d do it all day long," he said.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]