collapse

Author Topic: kindness counts  (Read 14451 times)

Offline Dyna

• Gold 127
Re: kindness counts
« Reply #45 on: May 18, 2016, 12:31:31 pm »
http://www.begood.news/ :)

Heartwarming moment state trooper sits and eats lunch with homeless mother-of-four on the side of the road after picking up two meals from nearby restaurant when he spotted her
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3596061/Heartwarming-moment-state-trooper-sits-eats-lunch-homeless-mother-four-road-picking-two-meals-nearby-restaurant-spotted-her.html#ixzz490rFucEP
When the debate is lost,
slander becomes the tool of the loser.
Socrates

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2016, 08:59:25 pm »

Super Suits: Combating Developmental Delays With Fashionable Exoskeletons

Sarah Grace uses the Playskin Lift to combat arthrogryposis, which greatly inhibits her ability to use her arms.

For parents of children with developmental delays, dressing them in uncomfortable devices that make them stand out from their peers is a constant struggle. Kids don’t want to wear it and parents don’t want a constant battle. It’s exhausting for everyone involved. Therefore, many of the exoskeletons simply don’t get used often enough to make an impact.

Michele Lobo, assistant professor of physical therapy at the University of Delaware, decided to act. She created exoskeleton and other devices that are light, comfortable and effective. They’re appropriately dubbed Super Suits.

“Super Suits is an umbrella of projects. It entails everything from low-tech, adaptive clothing to custom-designed exoskeletons that kids can put on and take off more easily,” explains Lobo. “They like how it looks and it fits them better.”

One of the Super Suits is an exoskeletal garment called the Playskin Lift. Flexible mechanical inserts made of piano wires slip into the vinyl tunnels under the sleeves, providing the child’s arms with additional support. This increases the child’s reaching space while improving object exploration and learning outcomes.

Preliminary results showed not only an assistive effect, immediately improving arm and hand functioning, but also a rehabilitative effect, meaning the child’s strength and abilities improved over time. This is the world’s first exoskeletal garment created for rehabilitation and it is custom-made for every child.

more at link

http://neurosciencenews.com/developmental-delay-exoskeleton-4246/

space otter

« Reply #47 on: June 30, 2016, 08:05:55 am »

get a hankie and then  maybe give a hand to someone less fortunate  than you ..or give thanks for what we already have

group hug

http://www.msn.com/en-us/money/personalfinance/a-new-york-tycoon-found-a-friend-%E2%80%94-and-her-dog-%E2%80%94-living-outside-his-office-building/ar-AAhLSc1?li=BBnbfcL

MarketWatch MarketWatch
By Jennifer Gould Keil
10 hrs ago

A New York tycoon found a friend — and her dog — living outside his office building

Wealthy developer Steve Witkoff had just moved his offices to West 57th Street — Manhattan’s Billionaires’ Row — when he first laid eyes on Lasharn Francis Harvey and her sand-colored dog, Sahara.

Lasharn had set up a sleeping bag outside the massive granite facade, and would lay her head on the cold sidewalk every night.

In the morning, Lasharn would routinely call out, “Have a blessed day!” as he entered his building.

Steve knew his life was blessed. He develops millions of square feet of offices and condos in New York, Miami and London. But he also felt cursed, by heartbreak, since the death of his 22-year-old son, Andrew, five years ago from an Oxycontin overdose.

Maybe there was a way, he thought, to help Lasharn. He didn’t realize she could help him, too.

Lasharn was born 43 years ago in Chicago, and, for a while, life was good. She went to college and aspired to run her own business. She sold a co-op in 2008, and invested the $140,000 profit in a technology she saw as a sure thing.

Ever heard of DVD vending kiosks? Rent a DVD on a street corner for $1 a day, secured by a credit card? Lasharn bought two of the doomed things. Then the recession hit. Her little business foundered.

She had bought the kiosks for $60,000, only to sell them for around $16,000, she said.

“Yes, it was devastating,” she told The Post. “But you just pick up your feet and start again.”

She decided to travel.

“I sold my apartment and bought a dog,” she said.

Sahara is part golden retriever and part poodle. Lasharn paid $800 for the scruffy thing, all curls and love, and off they drove to see America.

Lasharn is hesitant on the specifics, but her travels turned out to be a series of wrong turns, including in Florida, where she enrolled in a school to become a “traveling physical therapist.” Nothing came of that, either.

Maybe it was bad luck, or her own regrettable business decisions, or the damage from the tumor she didn’t realize was growing slowly in the pituitary gland at the base of her brain. But several years ago, Lasharn found herself with nothing but Sahara. Not that anything ever got her down.

“It’s easy to be positive when you are homeless,” Lasharn said. “People give you money and try to help you.”

Arriving in New York, she could have set down her cup of loose change and her sleeping bag at Port Authority, or at Penn Station. Instead, she and Sahara decided to live outside 40 W. 57th St.

“You couldn’t help but notice her,” Steve said. “Every single morning she was there, sitting on the ground with Sahara, whether it was cold or wet. She was there in the rain and she had a small cup with change, and that wasn’t going to be sufficient. And that is how I met her.”

Steve remembers their first meeting. “Sahara jumped on me and knocked the change out of the cup” as he made the first of many donations.

“I see a lot of homeless people,” said the 59-year-old mogul. “But she had a kind face. You could tell that she was kind and that she was kind to Sahara. Even before I gave her the money, I talked to her about Sahara and she said Sahara was her baby.”

Since Andrew’s passing, Steve Witkoff has become a quietly generous man, often slipping cash into the cups of beggars he passes on his walks, meeting to meeting, through Midtown.

Still, there was something special about Lasharn, he said — with her reliable, all-weather cheer and her contented dog.

Read: 10 things that would happen to the planet if humans were to completely disappear

“I have dogs,” added Steve, who, in fact, has seven. “And I knew that if Sahara was happy and incredible, then there had to be something nice about Lasharn.”

“And then,” added Steve, “I remember that Sahara was matted, and I was concerned. She was living on the street and I worried that she needed medical care and I said I would have her groomed,” he said. “But Lasharn thought I’d take the dog.”

It took days to build trust. Steve persisted, introducing Lasharn to Samantha Schmidt, his “dog whisperer,” the woman who managed the care for his own small pack.

“Finally I convinced her, and we sent [Sahara] to the grooming place on Lexington and then Sam took Sahara with Lasharn to my vet and Sahara was checked. But they were still living on the street.”

Weeks later, on Thanksgiving, Lasharn and Sahara were invited to join Steve’s family and friends for a big dinner at the Park Lane, a luxury hotel on Central Park.

“Seventy people stuffed into the apartment, and she came with Sahara,” he remembered. “And Sahara sat next to her and ate turkey and stuffing.”

That was a place of honor — Steve’s own dogs were relegated to the canine equivalent of the little kids’ table: dinner with a dog sitter in another room.

Then November turned to December. “It was freezing out,” Steve remembered.

The developer made sure she kept a phone on her — and his number. “I would drive on 57th Street and just make sure she was OK, because she moved around a bit.”

For Christmas, he checked Lasharn and Sahara into the Park Lane hotel, and sent them there again, over Lasharn’s protests, during a 10-day cold spell in January.

Lasharn told her benefactor that she was saving the money he was giving her, rather than spending it on housing, so she could buy a van to live in.

“I asked her how much it would be. She said $1,500.” Done. Lasharn used her new white van as transportation and housing, parking it at night in a lot on 54th Street.

“I got nervous when I didn’t see her in front of the building,” Steve admits.

But, unknown to Lasharn or her patron, the tumor at the base of her brain was growing.

She began losing her eyesight. In May, she fell, wound up in Roosevelt Hospital, and lost everything all over again. Her beloved Sahara was taken by animal control. The van would be stolen. Even her cellphone, left in the van, was gone.

“Lasharn went into the hospital with nothing, not even her phone,” Steve said. “She remembered my office number and that’s how the hospital contacted me. I was her contact.”

Steve tracked down Sahara, sending Schmidt, his “dog whisperer,” to reclaim her from the pound.

The mogul or his business assistants remained with Lasharn through the CAT scans and biopsies. Steve met with Lasharn and her doctor as she planned the radiation and steroid treatment that will shrink the tumor, and got his childhood best friend, David Cooper, a health care executive, to find an expert to double-check her reports.

With steroids, Lasharn’s tumor is shrinking, and her vision is beginning to come back in one eye.

“A part of me feels that Andrew is leading me to people like this,” Steve said.

“If she is left on the street, she will die. She is a human being and she was scared for her life. I wanted to be at the hospital to comfort her. She had no one here with her. It’s what you would do for a family member, but she didn’t have one and as each thing came up, we said we weren’t going to stop there.”

Steve now is paying for Lasharn to live at a Marriott long-term-stay hotel in Midtown while she continues her outpatient treatments. Sahara, the once-homeless dog who brought them together, and who was almost lost forever to the shelter system, is now living with one of Schmidt’s training staff elsewhere in Manhattan. Steve is paying for Sahara to learn to become Lasharn’s service and seeing eye dog.

“She would have been lost without that dog,” Steve said.

“He is such a good guy,” Lasharn said of her multimillionaire savior. “He is the best guy ever.”

But Steve insisted, “This story isn’t about me. She touched me, and I am happy to have done what I did.”

The developer has often wondered how Lasharn, who is so clearly engaging, charming and intelligent, could wind up homeless. “She went to college and she owned a co-op,” he said.

“There is a whole life here. So what happened? It is the elephant in the room … God knows how long she was living with the growth inside her brain.”

“She could have died. But this woman is a portrait in courage. She is really an incredibly courageous woman. She was all alone on the streets of New York — and still, the voice message on her phone says, ‘Have a blessed day.’”

A version of this story ran on NYPost.com.

Offline WhatTheHey

• It always remains true that light requires a source, penetrates the darkness and illuminates all it touches. Be the source be the light.
  • Inventor's Group
  • Gold 45
« Reply #48 on: June 30, 2016, 07:50:14 pm »
  Greetings, great thread!

Reading this makes me think of a certain person I know who is a very good example of one who would do kind things (Most just call him A.J.). The kind of person that does a random act of kindness very often and spontaneously for individuals they do not know at all.
One day I watched as A.J. argued with 3 older adult men trying to take down a huge branch off a tree. He was saying to the man that was doing the cutting, that if he
made the cut from where he was, he would be struck by the branch and launched into the next yard! At first all 3 men laughed at him and made some nasty comments, but A.J. persisted with increasing vigor until they gave in. The guy cutting changed his position, and it was a good thing too as you can guess! A.J. was spot on and had just saved this mans life or limb (pun intended).
 There were 2 things that amazed me about this occurrence. First (amazing in a bad sort of way) was the lack of thanks given by the 2 men that were not doing the cutting and the second was the grace and modesty exhibited by A.J. It was a sad fact that later the same 3 men also showed no gain in respect or admiration for A.J.
  I witnessed A.J. save and/or aid many people over many years. (We grew up together). Yet to this day very few people have even given him the thanks he really deserves. A.J. was responsible for saving the hearing of a young boy named Robert, freeing to women trapped in an overturned van, saving the life of his friend Bill (Bill had a violent seizure and was joking to death on his own fluids.), saving a young Mexican boy who nearly drown, saved a woman's hand from being severed between a boat and piling .  The list is actually quite a bit longer but that's enough. lol
  Seeing A.J. do all these things and never ask for anything in return makes me hope with all that I am, that these acts of kindness will truly bring the balance of karma to him after this life if not sooner!
  I do believe that even if you do not see a return of your kindness in the world you will receive it in time and gain from each act more then was spent to carry it out.
Have you done a kind act today? lol

WhatTheHey

« Last Edit: June 30, 2016, 07:54:23 pm by WhatTheHey »
WhatTheHey

space otter

« Reply #49 on: June 30, 2016, 08:02:53 pm »

hello what the hey

hope your health has improved

sounds like AJ is an angel..how cool to know one in human form

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #50 on: July 16, 2016, 06:40:25 pm »
[youtube]k1CltzPjFWo[/youtube]

eta: Which reminds me I noticed last month in our local Fred Meyer grocery store, there is now a cardboard box at the entrance to the fruit department that has a couple of everything in it, bananas, apples etc. that has a small sign by it that says... "For a pleasurable shopping experience, please choose some free fruit for your children to enjoy while you shop."

I saw one little girl picking out something.

I was pretty impressed and plan to let the manager know about it and will probably chip in.  8)

« Last Edit: July 16, 2016, 07:21:53 pm by A51Watcher »

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #51 on: July 28, 2016, 04:07:16 pm »

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #52 on: August 11, 2016, 06:18:25 pm »

(Photos by Amanda Cowan/The Columbian)

Maisy Fels, 3, of Vancouver snacks on a free banana while shopping with her grandmother Katy Miller on Tuesday afternoon at the Fisher's Landing Fred Meyer.

The grocery chain recently launched its Fruit for Kids program that offers children a free piece of fruit while shopping.

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #53 on: August 11, 2016, 08:01:12 pm »
great idea.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #54 on: December 22, 2016, 05:00:39 pm »
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #55 on: December 23, 2016, 03:05:59 pm »
That's why I have a house full of rescue cats.  We could have lost Saige due to the abuse by her previous home.  When we had her spayed, the vet said one horn of her uterus was badly bruised, and the outer layer of her bladder was torn and bleeding.   It explains why Spirit and Salem were the only kittens who weren't stillborn.  All three are happy and healthy.   Spirit loves to sleep between the pillows at night.  Sometimes she holds my finger with her paw.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #56 on: December 23, 2016, 03:59:28 pm »
That's why I have a house full of rescue cats.  We could have lost Saige due to the abuse by her previous home.  When we had her spayed, the vet said one horn of her uterus was badly bruised, and the outer layer of her bladder was torn and bleeding.   It explains why Spirit and Salem were the only kittens who weren't stillborn.  All three are happy and healthy.   Spirit loves to sleep between the pillows at night.  Sometimes she holds my finger with her paw.

Shasta

That's sweet that she holds your finger. Mine always has to be right up against my back. Sometimes he will very gently touch my face with his paw if he wants attention.

I always go for rescue cats too.   :)
Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.....

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #57 on: December 23, 2016, 05:21:51 pm »
Turning over in bed or getting up to use the "people box" during the night can be an adventure.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #58 on: December 24, 2016, 07:34:54 am »
Turning over in bed or getting up to use the "people box" during the night can be an adventure.

Shasta

All through my life my cats have acted like little dogs. They usually follow me wherever I go including the bathroom.

This one, Bear, likes to play in the bathtub while I'm occupied. He is a major-league goof. He hates the litter between his toes, so when he's done he races all over the house growling and flinging litter everywhere.

As a cat mom, I'm sure you understand how hysterical this is to me.  ;D
Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.....

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #59 on: December 24, 2016, 07:48:25 pm »
Blaze had to use the bathtub for a litter box this morning because Dodger wouldn't let her use the actual box. 

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56