collapse

Author Topic: save the world..start a garden  (Read 2661 times)

space otter

save the world..start a garden
« on: June 23, 2015, 09:11:46 am »

I am super fortunate to live where most have their own garden but how wonderful that some of these kids are getting the experience of how to be happy.....plant something

EN~JOY

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/04/riet-schumack-detroit-gardens_n_7506352.html

In 2006, Dutch native Riet Schumack moved her family from an affluent area in Detroit to one of the city's toughest neighborhoods. At the time, Brightmoor was ridden with crime, drugs, abandoned homes, vacant lots and streets filled with garbage, and yet Riet says she felt a strong "calling" to move to this struggling community.

"When we moved here, it was not safe for children," she says in the above video from OWN's "Super Soul Sunday." "There were too many people who were allowed to do illegal things, so it was very scary. You would never see anybody outside."

Some residents seemed to accept the community's deterioration as an unavoidable reality, but Riet wasn't one of them.

"Ultimately, blight is an expression of the breakdown in human dignity and a breakdown in community," she says. "Poverty in itself doesn't cause blight. It's when people lose hope, and stop caring."

Riet had hope, and this hope led her to take action. With a passion for gardening and children, Riet decided to start a garden for kids, which she named Brightmoor Youth Garden.

Children have now worked in the garden for the last nine years, spending their time focused on responsibility and ownership, rather than worrying about walking down the streets. "We try to instill in the children the fact that this is their garden, that they own it. Owning something is different than working for somebody else, and I think it does something to your self-esteem," Riet says.

Though the children harvest their own vegetables, weigh produce, prepare their bounty to sell at market and tend to animals like goats, the work is about much more than learning the ins and outs of gardening.

"They're learning everything about life," Riet says. "They learn about hard work, patience, waiting for things, planning your time, showing up, working in teams."

Not long after Riet started Brightmoor Youth Garden, Brightmoor began to see more and more green spaces take over the vacant lots. "Our one little garden has resulted in hundreds of gardens being part of this movement," she says. "And, more important, it has become community."

This led Riet and her neighbors to form a non-profit organization called Neighbors Building Brightmoor, where members of the community work together to do everything from building parks to hosting festivals. The efforts seem to have had a significant impact on crime over the years.

Within six weeks of Brightmoor Youth Garden opening, Riet says, the first drug houses were raided and shut down, and within the first six months, she says that the area's prostitutes and drug dealers had left as well.

"On the 15 blocks where we have the Neighbors Building Brightmoor, where everybody knows us, there is virtually no more crime," Riet says.

The children say they feel safer and more connected to one another, and view Brightmoor as more "peaceful" than ever before. Looking ahead, Riet would like to see this positive impact multiply and affect change throughout more struggling areas.

"My hope for Detroit is that Detroit becomes a congregate of communities that are surrounded by green space, that are able to feed themselves and live wholesome, healthy lives," she says. "It starts with one little garden."

"Super Soul Sunday" airs on OWN, the Oprah Winfrey Network.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W9YCgyzrRgk[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ILLLIcrmSDk[/youtube]

Published on Mar 29, 2015
Will Allen has been a professional athlete and worked in corporate America. Still, he says, being a farmer is the biggest and most rewarding path he could have chosen. Will is the founder of Growing Power, an organization dedicated to teaching people in urban Milwaukee how to grow good food. "We're only six blocks away from Milwaukee's largest public housing project," he says. "When people drive by the street and they see the greenhouses on the front, they have no idea that we feed about 10,000 people just from this farm alone." See more of Will's mission above and find out how the simple act of planting seeds has turned the lives of countless children around.

Find OWN on TV at http://www.oprah.com/FindOWN

SUBSCRIBE: http://bit.ly/1vqD1PN

“Super Soul Sunday” is a two-time Emmy award-winning series that delivers a thought-provoking, eye-opening and inspiring block of programming designed to help viewers awaken to their best selves and discover a deeper connection to the world around them. The series features exclusive interviews and all-new conversations between Oprah Winfrey and top thinkers, authors, filmmakers and spiritual leaders. Exploring themes and issues including happiness, personal fulfillment, wellness, spirituality and conscious living. "Super Soul Sunday" presents an array of perspectives on what it means to be alive in today’s world.

Oprah Winfrey Network is the first and only network named for, and inspired by, a single iconic leader. Oprah Winfrey's heart and creative instincts inform the brand -- and the magnetism of the channel.

Winfrey provides leadership in programming and attracts superstar talent to join her in primetime, building a global community of like-minded viewers and leading that community to connect on social media and beyond. OWN is a singular destination on cable. Depth with edge. Heart. Star power. Connection. And endless possibilities.

Discover OWN TV:
Find OWN on you TV!: http://bit.ly/1wJ0ugI

Connect with OWN Online:
Visit the OWN WEBSITE: http://bit.ly/1qMi2jE
Urban Farmer Starting His Own Revolution | Super Soul Sunday | Oprah Winfrey Network
http://www.youtube.com/user/OWN

Category
Entertainment
License
Standard YouTube License

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
Re: save the world..start a garden
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 11:11:47 am »
Otter thanks for posting that!

IF I was on social media i would post that video everywhere. 

"This is your Garden and This is where you Starting"  is a comment from that Video that may live with me forever.  What a way to teach people :)

xoxox

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 11:49:54 pm »
What a way to teach people :)

Well DANG  Look what the Kangaroo dragged in :P

How ya bin Mate?

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2015, 09:47:19 am »
Well DANG  Look what the Kangaroo dragged in :P

How ya bin Mate?

Good, bad and ugly..more good though Good Sir LOL

Been working hard at the root of all my cause's.. smoking them ciggys's.  Deprogramming so to speak mate !

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2015, 10:28:52 am »
LOL

Been awhile since I been on here, but looking at my avatar one would think I blow it out rather than suck it in LOL

I am Termination Judgement day on myself :P

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]