collapse

Author Topic: Railroading and my family history  (Read 15783 times)

Offline Linda Brown

• Gold 52
    • The Cosmic Token
Re: Railroading and my family history
« Reply #60 on: May 27, 2012, 06:43:24 am »
Undo.... You said "if it pays any attention to me, i'll have it derailed soon enough by first: 1) drawing its attention to me so it can't hurt innocent bystanders 2) making it chase me around so that it isn't hurting anyone else, and   3) defusing it once it has expended so much of its stupid energy trying to do evil, that it eventually has no recourse but to give up the chase.

Yea! Undo

In my head I always envision this entity following me out into deep water..... thats always my aim.... to have it out finally in water so deep it uses all of its energy just trying to stay afloat.... and I am so very happy to see that you have a plan too.  What chance does it have now????

And I agree with you.... looking back.... it was probably Amaterasu that was the target but it came at you......but you were tougher than it figured.....and I do believe that you won this hand.

Just as Zorgon says though....the game continues......
Linda

Linda
« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:55:48 am by Linda Brown »

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #61 on: May 27, 2012, 07:47:45 am »
they swim? you must think i'm kidding. lol
JOIN THE GAME!
Are you a programmer or 3d modeler?  We need you here: http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum1/index.php?topic=530.0

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #62 on: May 27, 2012, 07:48:56 am »
thank goodness i'm not on the train or in it, either.  :D
JOIN THE GAME!
Are you a programmer or 3d modeler?  We need you here: http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum1/index.php?topic=530.0

sky otter

« Reply #63 on: May 28, 2012, 02:05:24 pm »

DUH
how could i have forgotten this train song

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ihpnwOaJy8[/youtube]

Offline hobbit

• Gold 50
« Reply #64 on: May 28, 2012, 02:17:47 pm »
And which train station was this written at?

hobbit

sky otter

« Reply #65 on: May 28, 2012, 02:27:52 pm »
 ::)

Wikepedia:

"Widnes is also known for the railway station where Paul Simon wrote the song Homeward Bound [2]. However, the original station called Widnes Central was one of those stations closed by Dr Beeching in the early 1960s. It was demolished and its site now forms part of the local dual carriageway, Ashley Way.

Despite the fact that Widnes Central no longer exists, there is a plaque commemorating this event in Widnes Station (formally Widnes North or earlier Widnes Farnworth) which is the sole remaining 'Widnes' station"

Mikado

« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2012, 11:51:51 am »
It would appear that I have a good deal of free rent going on in some areas between ears.

There is no Mikado Effect. There is only perceived fear from what I have read in these posts. Do harm to anyone else is the invitation for negative Kharma... of that, I have enough to correct and need no more, regardless of what others may have implied.

Mikado

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2012, 12:26:40 pm »
It would appear that I have a good deal of free rent going on in some areas between ears.

There is no Mikado Effect. There is only perceived fear from what I have read in these posts. Do harm to anyone else is the invitation for negative Kharma... of that, I have enough to correct and need no more, regardless of what others may have implied.

Mikado

woo so you're like famous around here.  a real bad guy,  rock star - movie star personality.  evil meanie person.   on a train. 

at least your eloquent.   your writing has a sort of cadence to it, bordering on poetry.   welcome to prc.   behave or i'll bitch and moan and fuss and pray and upset everybody, but no one will leave. :D you'll just have to listen to bitching and moaning and complaining and, i do the middle aged menopausal female schtick quite well!
 (lots of practice)
JOIN THE GAME!

sky otter

« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2012, 04:19:49 pm »

Undo

you crack me up

mikado..sorry i have no space to rent for ya.. ;)..my head is full..bwhahahahahah

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #69 on: June 18, 2012, 03:26:36 pm »
I have a question about railroads.  I hope someone has an answer.  My grandfather's draft card from  WWI lists his pre-draft occupation as watchman.  I'm wondering if that would have been a railroad term.  I think he was living in Hanna,WY by the time he was drafted, and the town economy was based around the Union Pacific Railroad.  Any ideas?  Anybody?

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #70 on: June 18, 2012, 04:46:18 pm »
I have a question about railroads.  I hope someone has an answer.  My grandfather's draft card from  WWI lists his pre-draft occupation as watchman.  I'm wondering if that would have been a railroad term.  I think he was living in Hanna,WY by the time he was drafted, and the town economy was based around the Union Pacific Railroad.  Any ideas?  Anybody?

Shasta

Railroad Watchman job description: Protect and police railroad and transit property, employees, or passengers:

- Apprehend or remove trespassers or thieves from railroad property or coordinate with law enforcement agencies in apprehensions and removals.

- Prepare reports documenting investigation activities and results.

- Investigate or direct investigations of freight theft, suspicious damage or loss of passengers' valuables, or other crimes on railroad property.

- Patrol railroad yards, cars, stations, or other facilities to protect company property or shipments and to maintain order.

- Direct security activities at derailments, fires, floods, or strikes involving railroad property.

- Record and verify seal numbers from boxcars containing frequently pilfered items, such as cigarettes or liquor, to detect tampering.

- Seal empty boxcars by twisting nails in door hasps, using nail twisters.

8)

eta: Have you browsed any of the online genealgy databases such as worldconnect, to see if there is additional info on  him?

« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 04:50:29 pm by A51Watcher »

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #71 on: June 18, 2012, 07:40:02 pm »
Thank you A51.  I've done some browsing on some sites besides ancestry.com, but not very recently.  I keep getting sidetracked and derailed by those critters also known as grandkids.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #72 on: June 18, 2012, 09:08:13 pm »
Thank you A51.  I've done some browsing on some sites besides ancestry.com, but not very recently.  I keep getting sidetracked and derailed by those critters also known as grandkids.

Shasta

Just for future reference when you have time, the worldconnect site is free and has tons of databases online from families. I managed to track one of my family lines back to 1460 with their help among others.

With most family lines you hit a brick wall in the 1800's because of the Civil War when they burned down the courthouses with all the records.

The main reason I had such luck with that one line back to 1460 is they were Mennonites who were very good at keeping family bibles with all the marriages and births recorded.  ;D

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #73 on: June 24, 2012, 11:04:00 pm »
DUH
how could i have forgotten this train song

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ihpnwOaJy8[/youtube]

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #74 on: September 21, 2015, 05:48:32 pm »
Since the cause of the 'derailment' of this thread is now properly dealt with, it's time to continue.

My Grandfather was the last of the railroaders in my family, working in the machine shop on lathes, etc. making parts to repair the locomotives and passenger cars.

One of his hobbies was to become a pilot and he bought a Cessna similar to this one to putt around in -

A few times when I was about 10 he took me on a 3 state cruise and we stopped over to visit relatives. Once we were in the air he let me take the controls and drive!  8)

After he retired, he began working on his other hobbies full time.

One of them was traveling the Yosemite area with his rock hammer looking for fossils similar to these for his collection -

After he had a sizable collection, he made a coffee table similar to this -

Which relates to his primary interest which was woodworking. Similar to the machine shop I suppose but with wood instead of metal.

He was forever giving us kids "bullsh*t grinders as they were called, much like these -

He also made birdhouses and all sorts of creations, whatever came to mind.

Here are a couple of actual examples of his work I inherited -

(Jewelry box)

Next time, I will post some pics of the Grandfather Clock he made entirely out of wood!

Gears and everything.   8)

« Last Edit: September 22, 2015, 01:47:21 pm by A51Watcher »

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56