collapse

Author Topic: Has the mystery of DB Cooper been solved?  (Read 1412 times)

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
Has the mystery of DB Cooper been solved?
« on: November 26, 2015, 11:02:54 am »
Has the mystery of DB Cooper been solved?

Was the hijacker who leapt from plane with $200,000 in 1971 a missing grocery store manager? His daughter wants to know.

DB Cooper who jumped from a Hijacked plane never to be seen again and right Richard Lepsy who a writter claims may be the same person.

It is 44 years since a man known only as DB Cooper leapt out of a hijacked 727 airliner with a parachute on his back and a bag stuffed with $200,000 (£132,000) of bank notes.
No trace of him has ever been found.

But now a new theory suggests he may have been a grocery store manager who disappeared before the hijacking.
Lisa Lepsy said she remembered watching news coverage of the audacious airborne heist on television two years after her father, Dick, failed to return from work.

In 1980, an 8 year old boy  came across three rotting wads of $20 bills (pictured) bearing serial numbers that matched the ransom money given to DB Cooper along the banks of the Columbia River
In 1980, an 8 year old boy came across three rotting wads of $20 bills (pictured) bearing serial numbers that matched the ransom money given to DB Cooper along the banks of the Columbia River .
"We were all sitting on the couch watching Walter Cronkite," she told WZZM, a local TV station, referring to the news anchor. "When the composite sketch of DB Cooper came on the TV screen, everyone looked at each other and said, 'That's dad!'

"We were stunned because the resemblance was unbelievable, and my brothers and I were all sure that was our dad."
Richard Lepsy with his family including daughter Lisa (right).
Richard Lepsy with his family including daughter Lisa (right).  Photo: Lisa Lepsy/michiganmysteries.com
The legend of DB Cooper has become the stuff of American Thanksgiving legend.
A man known as Dan Cooper boarded Northwest Orient Airlines Flight 305 in Portland, Oregon, bound for Seattle, Washington, on November 24, 1971.

DB cooper in an FBI handout
DB cooper in an FBI handout  Photo: FBI
During the flight he ordered a glass of bourbon before asking a flight attendant to write a note: 'I HAVE A BOMB IN MY BRIEFCASE. I WILL USE IT IF NECESSARY. I WANT YOU TO SIT NEXT TO ME. YOU ARE BING (sic) HIJACKED.'
When the plane was being refuelled at Tacoma International Airport , he allowed its 36 passengers to disembark and received four parachutes and $200,000 in return.

After stealing $200,000 in cash DB Copper jumped from the plane
After stealing $200,000 in cash DB Copper jumped from the plane  Photo: FBI

The plane, a 727 with a rear door and steps, was allowed to take off. Somewhere between Seattle and Reno, Cooper tied the bag of cash to his body and leapt from the back of the plane in stormy weather.
No trace of him was ever found, giving him the distinction of carrying out the only successful hijacking in American aviation history.

Evidence left behind by DB Cooper simlar to the one Lisa Lepsy claims her father Richard wore.
Evidence left behind by DB Cooper simlar to the one Lisa Lepsy claims her father Richard wore.  Photo: FBI
Many suspect he died on the descent. That theory was strengthened in 1980 when an 8-year-old boy stumble open three wads of rotting $20 bills with serial numbers matching the cash given to Cooper.
However, his body was never found leading to countless theories about who he was and what might have happened.
Ross Richardson, who has taken up the case, says there is plenty of evidence to suggest that Lepsy was Cooper.
Stil Missing by Ross Richardson

Still Missing by Ross Richardson
"The FBI says the skyjacker spoke with no discernible accent, and they believe he was from the Midwest; Dick Lepsy grew up in Chicago before he moved to Grayling,” he said.
"The FBI says the skyjacker left behind a black tie and a tie clasp on the plane; it's the exact same tie that was mandatory neck wear for all Glen's Market employees.
"The FBI says the skyjacker's shoes were loafers; those were Dick Lepsy's favorite shoes."

Richard Lepsy
Richard Lepsy
The 33-year-old father-of-four disappeared in 1969 after going to work at Glen's Market. His car was discovered a few days later at a nearby airport. The keys were still in the ignition.
• A history of the world's biggest heists, in pictures
One way to test the theory would be to use DNA recovered from the rotting bank notes.
"By putting this story out there, we may be able to get the clues we need to solve not one but two mysteries," said Mr Richardson, the author of Still Missing. "I hope the FBI looks into this, starting by running tests on the DNA samples that have been submitted by Lisa.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/12017816/Has-the-mystery-of-DB-Cooper-been-solved.html?ref=yfp

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
Re: Has the mystery of DB Cooper been solved?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2017, 09:07:16 am »

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/fbi-releases-letter-from-infamous-hijacker-db-cooper/ar-BBFpihC?li=BBnb7Kz

FBI Releases Letter From Infamous Hijacker D.B. Cooper
 Newsweek Newsweek
Christal Hayes
9 hrs ago

The notorious case of the mysterious plane hijacker known as D.B. Cooper just took another curious turn, which has some saying the anonymous criminal who parachuted out of a plane with $200,000 in stolen cash could still be alive.

A new letter that was signed by Cooper was recently made public for the first time in a freedom of information lawsuit, in reference to the 1971 hijacking and the FBI's investigation into that now cold case.

In the letter—given to filmmaker and author Tom Colbert, who is investigating the case with a 40-member team—Cooper said he "knew from the start that I wouldn't be caught." Colbert says the new letter along with a memo from the FBI is "proof" the bureau was trying to hide aspects of the case in a "cover-up," he told the Seattle Post-Intelligencer.

The letter goes on to say that Cooper used putty makeup and a toupee that threw off investigators and artists who sketched wanted posters after he boarded a commercial Boeing 727 under a fake name on November 24, 1971, claimed to have a bomb, demanded $200,000 and then parachuted from the plane—disappearing into thin air. Literally.

Cooper was never found but investigators did find some traces of his jump after-the-fact. Some of the $20 bills were located in a wooded area of southwest Washington state. Colbert and his team also recently found pieces of a strap and foam in the woods, which could be part of Cooper's parachute. They sent the artifacts to the FBI, but the bureau hasn't said it plans to reopen the case, the Seattle Post-Intelligencer reported.

A memo given to Colbert with the letter details the FBI’s examination of the letter and poses the question of whether the letter was written on government stationery, “noting that it resembles the carbon copy of the airtel material used by the Field Offices.”

The letter is only one of the known letters sent by Cooper—or someone claiming to be Cooper—that hadn’t been publicly released, which has caused some to question why the FBI hadn’t released it until a lawsuit forced them.

“This letter proves to me that there's been a cover-up and continues to be a cover-up in this case,” Colbert said.

The FBI closed the case last year, so it's unknown if the public will ever find out what happened to Cooper—or if his actual name will ever be found. Some believe he died after jumping from the plane.

It was known that Cooper sent letters to newspapers along the West Coast. This newly released document, sent to The Washington Post, makes the fifth letter he sent to a publication.

It was known that Cooper sent letters to newspapers along the West Coast. This newly released document, sent to The Washington Post, makes the fifth letter he sent to a publication.

The FBI could never prove whether this letter or the others were authentic. It’s just the latest piece of evidence Colbert says he discovered.

In the latest batch of documents he received from the FBI, a memo states the bureau was regularly updating then-FBI Director J. Edgar Hoover on the case and worked to confirm whether the letter was indeed sent by Cooper.

The memo also includes a number typed at the bottom of the letter, 717171684, which was placed next to The Washington Post in the bottom corner. The FBI said it was unable to figure out what the numbers meant.

Though it’s still a complete mystery as to who Cooper was or what happened to him, Colbert and his team have their own theory about the case.

He believes after Cooper landed, he got in a second plane then dumped some of the money to throw authorities off. Colbert told Fox News he believes a man named Robert Rackstraw is actually Cooper, but Rackstraw denies the notion and has said the accusation has ruined his life.

Still, whatever the case may be, the FBI has looked at more than 1,000 suspects but never found the man known as D.B. Cooper, who would be in his 90s if he is still alive.

The full letter is detailed below:

Sirs,

I knew from the start that I wouldn't be caught.

I didn't rob Northwest Orient because I thought it would be romantic, heroic or any of the other euphemisms that seem to attach themselves to situations of high risk.

I'm no modern day Robin Hood. Unfortunately do have only 14 months to live.

My life has been one of hate, turmoil, hunger and more hate, this seemed to be the fastest and most profitable way to gain a few fast grains of peace of mind.

I don't blame people for hating me for what I've done, nor do I blame anybody for wanting me to be caught and punished, though this can never happen.

Here are some (not all) of the things working against the authorities:

I'm not a boasting man

I left no fingerprints

I wore a toupee

I wore putty make-up

They could add or subtract from the composite a hundred times and not come up with an accurate description; and we both know it.

I've come and gone on several airline flights already and am not holed up in some obscure backwoods town.

Neither am I a psycho-pathic killer. As a matter of fact I've never even received a speeding ticket.

Thank you for your attention.
D.B. COOPER

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter