collapse

Author Topic: Worsening Weather, Earthquakes, Vortices, Volcanoes, CMEs ... What's Up?  (Read 124683 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
As the Ice Melts......

...and Sea Levels Rise...

... Bill Cosby asks... How long can you tread water?

deuem

Typhoon here the past few days, Lots of things blowing in the wind, Some trees dowm and a lot of new fresh water.

As long as no one gets hurt, the benifit of this is that it cleans up the place. It is like power washing your car. The rain and wind are so stong it gets everywhere and does a good job cleaning. All you have to do is stay out of the way and have a home that can take it. In the concrete jungle, they all can take it and a lot worse.  Deuem
Oh, I can tread water for several hours, but that ain't gonna be long enough! Need a boat!

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
I note They didn't mention how this " anthropogenic warming" is affecting all the planets in the solar system.  Seems this "natural cycle," the likes of which have never been seen before since 1887 (huh?) is Our fault!  Efforts to resurrect cap & trade, Methinks.
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Reminds me of a joke I heard online, back in 2005 or so.

"Want some beach front property in Florida?  Buy around 15 miles inland from the current coastline, and wait 20 years or so." ;)
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline SarK0Y

• Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 37
Typhoon here the past few days, Lots of things blowing in the wind, Some trees dowm and a lot of new fresh water.

As long as no one gets hurt, the benifit of this is that it cleans up the place. It is like power washing your car. The rain and wind are so stong it gets everywhere and does a good job cleaning. All you have to do is stay out of the way and have a home that can take it. In the concrete jungle, they all can take it and a lot worse.  Deuem
Oh, I can tread water for several hours, but that ain't gonna be long enough! Need a boat!
Deuem, my the Best Wishes to ye. Hard Times are needed to make Strong People Stronger  ;)
Amici, perhaps this info already'w posted, the event seems as precursor 4 new floods & more furious droughts + redistribution of such the colossal Water's masses can be very efficient to trigger some quakes over the Globe.
I do What Me'n'Universum  want :-)

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
Reminds me of a joke I heard online, back in 2005 or so.

"Want some beach front property in Florida?  Buy around 15 miles inland from the current coastline, and wait 20 years or so." ;)

Greetings:

That's why we sold the condo in West Palm Beach and moved to Rabun County.

We heard the same 'joke'...

Glad to see this thread revived as it  was our first here at PRC while setting up the 'Deny Nukes' Forum.

You may also enjoy these:

Do Citizens of Earth Have the Right to a Radiation-free Environment?

"I Have Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"

"NukaTuna" - The Last Fish in the Ocean

Radiation Watch 2012

Earth Aid

Peace Love Light
tfw

Liberty & Equality or Revolution

EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215

That's why we sold the condo in West Palm Beach and moved to Rabun County.

Hey, y'all, I bought 20 years ago + and still dont have my waterfront property!LOL!

I do have a house on the highest point in Pinellas county, and when looking at a flood insurance map, we arent required to even have it.

As for the weather changing...as I observe my almanac Ive kept for the last 20 years, I see that we have never had such high winds during July, and as a matter of fact the average wind speed in July here has been around 6-8 mph out of the West or Southwest.

For the last few days we have had winds of well over 15 mph and no discernable gusts to speak of. Noaa says its not that unusual, but my little almanac doesnt lie, like their windspeed indicators do at the NDBC site, where they vary wildly with my own super accurate Davis anomometer here on my roof.

And I am also seeing another bit of shifty behaviour where the local weather people are using the composite reflectivity link for their radar to make it look like the storms are way stronger...theyll say its raining cats and dogs, and there isnt a drop.

Turn up the gain, billy bob! We be gettin' more viewers!
What do they have to GAIN from misstating the radar data? FEAR in the minds of everyone who worries about rain and storms, and more frightened people means more viewers to watch their crappy commercials while they stare at the radar waiting for rain.

Disinfo from NOAA? Damn everyone's in on the act now, and it seems HAARP is becoming more of a nuisance than a benefit.

Cheers!
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

sky otter

well i'm in a good spot so i hope you guys get boats or move soon - if you have to ::)

Antarctic: Grand Canyon-sized rift 'speeding ice melt'
By Richard Black
 Environment correspondent, BBC News

A rift in the Antarctic rock as deep as the Grand Canyon is increasing ice melt from the continent, researchers say.

A UK team found the Ferrigno rift using ice-penetrating radar, and showed it to be about 1.5km (1 mile) deep.

Antarctica is home to a geological rift system where new crust is being formed, meaning the eastern and western halves of the continent are slowly separating.

The team writes in Nature journal that the canyon is bringing more warm sea water to the ice sheet, hastening melt.

The Ferrigno rift lies close to the Pine Island Glacier where Nasa scientists found a giant crack last year; but the newly discovered feature is not thought to be influencing the "Pig", as it is known.

The rift lies beneath the Ferrigno Ice Stream on a stretch of coast so remote that it has only been visited once previously.

The British Antarctic Survey (BAS) project revisited the area two years ago in the person of Aberdeen University glaciologist Robert Bingham.

The plan was to make ground observations that could link to the satellite data showing unexpectedly pronounced ice loss from the area.

The team towed ice-penetrating radar kit behind a snowmobile, traversing a total of about 2,500km (1,500 miles).

"What we found is that lying beneath the ice there is a large valley, parts of which are approximately a mile deeper than the surrounding landscape," said Dr Bingham.

"If you stripped away all of the ice here today, you'd see a feature every bit as dramatic as the huge rift valleys you see in Africa and in size as significant as the [US] Grand Canyon.

"This is at odds with the flat ice surface that we were driving across - without these measurements we would never have known it was there."

The Ferrigno rift extends into a seabed trough, called Belgica.

The scientists suggest that during Ice Ages, when sea levels were much lower than at present, the rift would have channelled a major ice stream through the trough.

Now, they suggest, the roles are reversed, with the walls of the Belgica trough channelling relatively warm sea water back to the ice edge.

The nearby Pine Island Glacier appears set to calve a 900 sq km iceberg Penetrating between the Antarctic bedrock and the ice that lies on it and lubricating the join, the water allows ice to flow faster into the sea.

"We know that the ice loss from the West Antarctic Ice Sheet is governed by delivery of warm water, and that the warm water is coming along channels that were previously scoured by glaciers," said Prof David Vaughan of BAS.

"So the geology and the present rate of ice loss are intricately linked, and they feed back - if you have fast-flowing ice, that delivers ice to the edge where it can be impacted by warm water, and warm water makes the ice flow faster," he told BBC News.

Prof Vaughan doubted there would be more such features around the West Antarctic coast, though in the remoter still regions of the east, it was a possibility.

Ice loss from West Antarctica is believed to contribute about 10% to global sea level rise.

But how the West Antarctic and Greenland ice sheets respond to warmer temperatures is the biggest unknown by far in trying to predict how fast the waters will rise over the coming century and beyond.

A total melt of either sheet would raise sea levels globally by several metres.

East Antarctica, by contrast, is so cold that the ice is projected to remain solid for centuries.

"Since the last Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change report [in 2007], which highlighted uncertainties connected with ice sheets, almost every significant piece of research we've produced has increased the significance of the ocean for West Antarctica and Greenland," said Prof Vaughan.

"There are changes in precipitation now and in future; but the really big, potentially fast, changes are connected to the oceans, and the goal for us is to model that system."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-18959399

Warm ocean driving Antarctic ice loss
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-17803693

Antarctic's hidden world revealed
An animated view of Antarctica, revealing its great mountains and deepest depressions
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15735625

Map tracks Antarctica on the move
Scientists have produced what they say is the first complete map of how the ice moves across Antarctica.

Built from images acquired by radar satellites, the visualisation details all the great glaciers and the smaller ice streams that feed them.

The map has been published online by Science magazine.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-14592547

British Antarctic Survey (BAS) is one of the world's leading environmental research centres and is responsible for the UK's national scientific activities in Antarctica.
http://www.antarctica.ac.uk/

Offline Littleenki

• Gold 215
Great post, Sky! Antarctica has been popping up a lot in the USGS world lately, and the Russians have been down there for years, especially finding the great lake there with liquid water beneath km's of ice.

Lake Vostok....http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/46309166/ns/technology_and_science-science/t/russian-scientists-reach-lake-under-antarctica/

Cheers!
Le
Hermetically sealed, for your protection

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
Weather gone crazy!  On top of the hottest year on record and a drought comparable to the dust bowl years, we have had some very intense storms.  Here's a recent one that New Yorkers got to experience:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2179504/Superstorm-strikes-East-Coast-At-300-000-power-TORNADO-sweeps-New-York.html

Astonishing images of the moment apocalyptic 'derecho' superstorm battered New York killing two

Looks like s scene from Ghostbusters!

And you may ask yourself
Well...How did I get here?

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Every Major Odd storm has the 'Storm Spirit' easily visible in it. This one is no different. He is right there dead center in the first image.

You can call me crazy, but they are there. I have collected them for years. The following clip is rotated 90 degrees right... but you can spot it in the original image

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
Wow!  You are right!  Here's one in a hurricane over Bikini Bottom!

Sorry couldn't resist....hahha   ;D ;D ;D

But seriously, post some more of your pics, I DO want to see!  I have seen some interesting things in the past that gave me a sense of something or some energy being represented in clouds.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 07:52:04 pm by COSMO »
And you may ask yourself

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Just a couple.. :P Needs a whole section :D

Cloud Spirit
The Watcher
Noctilucent Cloud, Denmark

Photo Credit: Anders Mørup-Petersen Copenhagen, Denmark

Black Sea Storm December 2007, the eye of?
This one was visible for a long period and video taped (see below)

[youtube]AOoWfUw-jNM[/youtube]
« Last Edit: July 27, 2012, 08:03:53 pm by zorgon »

Offline COSMO

• Gold 157
Woa!  That second one is very freaky, gave me goosebumps! 

Noctilucent clouds are an interesting phenomenon, I have seen pics of them and read that they are increasing in regularity.  Wonder what that means?

If you ever find the time, it would be an interesting thread Z!
And you may ask yourself

sky otter

yeah.. weather out of control here....stinkin hot and dry and then intense freaking storms
and i luv storms...
but these have been scary.
.i have never heard thunder go on for so long in the same spot..had to be a good 5 minutes right over top of us..
and now cool and damp....

can't help but think of the cayce stuff i read so long ago
about the growing season being too short to actually grow crops..i think we are there

layin in some extra supplies while i can still get em...doesn't matter how much cash you have if
there isn't anything to buy..and if i'm wrong i will just consider it helping the economy..lol
nothing will go to waste...

gotta go pick up limbs..only lost a couple of young trees..we;ve been very lucky

::)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]