collapse

Author Topic: Hacking NASA - A New International Sport  (Read 12496 times)

sky otter

Re: Hacking NASA - A New International Sport
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 09:39:01 pm »
 ???

maybe i am overly skeptical here..but this sounds like a good ploy for the gov to censor  the web
nothing has really actually happened
except they are telling us how easy it is to do
sounds more like nasa and the gov are excessively sloppy in security and we all know they aren't THAT slack
just my take on it..sigh

> no encryption for supervillains to crack..........that a laptop was stolen in March 2011

> A Romanian hacker..took to Twitter shortly before noon today (May 17) to boast
"there was a breach in the NASA Goddard FTP site" but said it actually took place in April.
NASA doesn't discuss the details of our IT security

> Acknowledging suspicions that two of NASA's earth observation satellites were hacked back in 2007 and 2008, the space agency has indeed confirmed "suspicious events"
hackers choosing not to act on it for unknown reasons.

> Computer hackers, possibly from the Chinese military, interfered with two U.S. government satellites four times in 2007 and 2008 through a ground station in Norway,
An attacker could also deny or degrade as well as forge or otherwise manipulate the satellite’s transmission

> Fri Mar 2, 2012 2:00pm EST
(Reuters) - NASA said hackers broke into its computer systems 13 times last year, stealing employee credentials and gaining access to mission-critical projects in breaches that could compromise U.S. national security.

> On Thursday, NASA’s inspector general released a report revealing that between 2010 and 2011, the agency had more than 5,000 computer security incidents Fox News has more on the lab attack, which it describes as a “jewel in NASA’s space technology crown:”

That report revealed scant details of an ongoing investigation into the incident against the Pasadena, Calif., lab, noting only that cyberattacks against the JPL involved Chinese-based Internet Protocol (IP) addresses.

> In 2000, a 16-year-old from Miami known on the Internet as "c0mrade" became the first juvenile to go to jail on federal computer-crime charges for hacking into NASA.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 09:45:04 pm by sky otter »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 02:20:58 am »
Okay a little confusion here....

Over at ATS one of the things that happened a LOT was duplicate threads, or more to the point, many threads that although they are different incidents are all related.  On this forum I have a feature that you don't see on other forums (or is not used)

It is called MERGE TOPIC  So rather than wasting time with posts like "it's already been posted" over and over disrupting the threads (it was REALLY getting annoying over there) we can merge them here.

What happens is they are sorted by time.... so whoever had the first post will be on top

One example at ATS was the Baltic UFO.... when the SECOND one was found, everyone was so busy screaming "Its already done use search you idiot", that they all missed that this was new info.  I even reposted that in the original thread but it wasn't even noticed

Hopefully the merge feature will help solve that. It took me a few tries to get it to go to the right place and you all 'should' have been notified by the system. As I can't see that, you will have to tell me if you did get them :D

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 02:28:11 am »
I agree with Gigas about that possible 'honey pot trap' and Sky Otter... It sounds too STUPID to not be a setup

The codes to control the ISS on a laptop that gets 'stolen'? Seriously?  We all know NASA has been inept lately, yet at the same time we are sure they are covering up Aliens and UFO's  so SOMETHING is wrong here.

WHY is NASA even running 'mission critical' stuff on the regular internet anyway? WHY are they not using the secure SiPRNET or other DoD separate networks?

Are they really this stupid? Smells fishy to me

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 03:08:57 am »
Not sure how they run things at NASA... but Jim Oberg always tells us NASA isn't hiding any film footage, he no one, including him, can produce the original STS75 Tether video. The copy we have and what is on the net was intercepted by Martyn Stubbs (SecretNasaMan) in Canada using a TV station dish.

They 'lost' the original Moon mission tapes... those tapes were very large reels of 75 millimeter tape and the 'loss' was 700 boxes or 4800 pounds'

So are they really this sloppy? or are we being played for suckers? Remember that they told us Creech Drone Control at Area 51 was hit by hackers, the US Atomic weapons had half of them go offline....

Yet I know for a fact that these guys don't use the regular internet for anything really important... so why are we getting these stories?

The government nets are NiPRNET (for unclassified sensitive level); SiPRNET (for secret level); JWICS (for top secret level) and then the top network, which NJ Mooch back at ATS just called the 'Global'

Originally posted by eriktheawful
That type of information would be kept on a LAN system at the facilities, and under serious lock and key. Does not matter how good of a hacker you or a group of you may be, the simple fact remains: if you can't actually access their network, then you can't hack in.

True that... look up NIPRNET (Unclassified but Sensitive Internet Protocol (IP) Router Network (abbreviated as "NIPRNet," but commonly written "NIPRNET"));  SIPRNET (Secret Internet Protocol Router Network (SIPRNet)); JWICS (Joint Worldwide Intelligence Communications System (JWICS pronounced JAYwicks) - cleared up to Top Secret and SCI) and there is one higher the 'global' that I won't mention right now ;)

While there IS a doorway to SIPRNET and JWICS from our internet you need a DOD ID card and your IP must originate from a .mil web address :D

nic.mil was the older SIPRNET portal... i guess they got to many pings at the front door from ATS :P because they shut it down... but you can still see the front door via the Wayback Machine

NIC.MIL

The old JWICS Marine portal is also moved but again you can view it via Wayback machine

JOINT WORLDWIDE INTELLIGENCE COMMUNICATION (JWICS)

[ex]System Description:  JWICS is the IC global backbone network for the DoDIIS communications network. It provides DoD and IC users a mature, reliable, and flexible SCI communications architecture. The Marine Corps JWICS program provides a variety of IT HW/SW that supports network functionality, high-speed/cytological bandwidth for transmission of data, text, graphics, imagery and video, and VTC. The program also provides over a 1000 MOS 02XX and 26XX intelligence members with the computer HW/SW/peripherals required to perform intelligence activities at the SCI level, contractual support for accreditation of equipment installation levied by DIA. Additionally, the program funds for the continual refresh of technological advances to network, HW/SW and peripherals. The JWICS provides garrison and tactical intelligence capabilities and infrastructure SCI to Major Commands, MSCs, and permits point-to-point or multipoint intelligence exchange throughout the entire Marine Corps and the DoD IC.[/ex]

JWICS Portal

I know where the new doorway is for JWICS but haven't found the DoD one yet :D
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 03:10:58 am by zorgon »

Offline exuberant1

• Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 10
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 03:41:34 am »
Are they really this stupid?

I Blame the the millennials. They aren't disciplined and have a very poor sense of operational security. They are the first generation to knowingly and willingly inform on themselves and expose the details of their private lives en masse, I believes that this bleeds into other areas of their lives, namely work.

Millennials will use mobile phones around secure lines without a second thought. They weren't raised in the paranoid atmosphere of the cold war and the last of the old breed is dying off and retiring. Not to mention it has become very unfashionable to be seen as 'paranoid', not having been raised and trained in atmosphere where paranoia was all the rage.  This leads the millennials to be major security risks.

Also, older generations grew up in an era where technology was not so ubiquitous, and so was inherently seen as more valuable - something to be guarded. That might explain how nonchalant the younger generation is with technology, and such nonchalance leads to lax security practices.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
Official John Lear Tin Foil Hat $19.99

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]