collapse

Author Topic: SO... you need MONEY? - Discussion Thread  (Read 8204 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
SO... you need MONEY? - Discussion Thread
« on: November 17, 2012, 07:32:16 pm »
SO... you need MONEY? - Discussion Thread

SO... you need MONEY?

sky otter

Re: SO... you need MONEY? - Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 08:38:26 pm »
 ;D

Hubby is very into the scrap and it's been great that  neighbors and such call
to ask if he wants this or that.. we have the space so he makes piles and
when he has a pick up of something ..he checks the prices and goes to
whichever place is paying top dollar that day

this last 6 months have brought  changes .. what with idiots stealing copper from houses
and the scrap folks now have your drivers license and s.s. on file....also what they have paid you
soo we are crossing our fingers that they don't have to give that info to the tax folk....sigh

auctions are another great way to get stuff at bargain prices... you just have to know when to
sit on your hands and stop bidding
http://www.auctionzip.com/cgi-bin/auctionsearch.cgi?
they even have the pics on line of  what's there so you can ceheck it out from home

great info Z....thanks

8)

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 10:47:40 pm »
in addition to making it, there's also saving it.

like extreme couponing (with moderation lol). 

yard sales,

second hand stores,

salvation army stores,

good will stores,

amazon,

ebay

after holiday specials.  after a holiday, stores often have bags of holiday specific items super cheap, such as decorations, associated candies, greeting cards, and etc.

food selection.  if you're on a strict budget and don't have a medical reason to have a special diet,  you can come up with some extremely cost effective meals. here are some food items i know to be inexpensive

spaghetti noodles. considering how many meals you can make from them, their cost is extremely low.  it's like 99 cents a box before coupons and a box can make several meals.  not much nutrition however, so might want to add something to it, like cheese, or tomato sauce or italian herbs, etc.

old fashioned slow cooking oatmeal. the kind in the large cylindrical container.   can be eaten as is or with butter, sugar, brown sugar, fruit, cheese, etc.  this is the singlemost nutritious food for the price and volume, with tons of fiber (if you get the slow cooking kind, like 5 minute oatmeal).  has a loooong shelf life.  if you don't like the fibrous texture, just add it to the water right at the start. don't wait for the water to be boiling to add it.

ramen noodle soup in multi-pack.  open package, remove spice packet.  make the noodles later if you want.  use the spice packet to make an impromptu, low cost, soup.  having a bag of dehydrated veggies on hand, could be useful here as you can add some to the soup broth while cooking. you then have noodles remaining to make and add some  spaghetti sauce or equivalent.  it's 2 meals in one package at like 25 cents or less, a pack, that's 12 cents a meal.

rice.  oh the things you can make with rice are endless, but most importantly,  it's also inexpensive if you get it in super big bags, such as from oriental supply shops. you can get huge bags of jasmine rice for example, several pounds worth, for cheap considering the amount of meals you can get out of it.

dehydrating fruits in their season, particularly fruits that are on sale because they are too ripe or that you can pick from a tree/vine/plant, and dehydrating them to add to meals or as snacks, later. 

instead of buying several different items for various household or personal care things,  try to consolidate them down into a couple things that are multipurpose and inexpensive.   examples are:

generic dishsoap, larger the size, typically the better the savings.  can be used to clean dishes, counters, clothing, floors, stove tops, tables, car wash, sidewalk/driveway wash, as hand soap,  bath bubbles or even shampoo.  about the only things you can't clean well with dishsoap are mirrors, toilet bowls (and occassionally sinks).   

for mirrors you just need an unused coffee filter, water and elbow grease (et.al, your own labor).  toilet bowls, just using the toilet brush after each flush can keep most problems at bay.  it wouldn't hurt to add some dishsoap, just don't expect dishsoap to solve the problem if you only clean it once a week or month or something.  also, occassionally dousing it with boiling hot water, for germ control.

so far, no feasible and inexpensive replacement for toilet paper has been found (if you don't count things like grass, plant leaves, tree leaves, etc and those are not flushable) outside of some french butt washing inventions (a tad expensive to install in the american bathroom). 

some items you honestly can do without, honest:

fingernail polish.
hair conditioner.
make-up.
perfume.
cologne.
jewelry.
after shave.

« Last Edit: November 17, 2012, 11:04:44 pm by undo11 »
JOIN THE GAME!
Are you a programmer or 3d modeler?  We need you here: http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum1/index.php?topic=530.0

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2012, 11:03:04 pm »
Was getting to that part :D

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2012, 11:16:12 pm »
hubby and i collected aluminum soda and beer cans in utah, back in the late 80s early 90s.  they had aluminum can recycling machines.  it was 5 cents a pound refund. :/
so we worked pretty hard for it and often ended up smelling like beer.  completely turned me off from recycling scrap metal.

i think the most we ever made, doing that, in one run, was after a fourth of july celebration was held at a local park.   we made 26 dollars.  we were recycling cans for hours and hours.  no telling how many it took to make 26 dollars worth but it was alot.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 03:18:34 am by zorgon »
JOIN THE GAME!
Are you a programmer or 3d modeler?  We need you here: http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum1/index.php?topic=530.0

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2012, 12:03:15 am »
just commenting on your stuff as i read it and think about it.

i like the idea of using metal detectors. it's more like a treasure hunt and less like "i'm a poor bum who has to dig in public garbage bins for aluminum cans."  people gave us some strange looks, let me tell ya. 

when we moved to florida from utah, i was so use to cutting corners, i knew where every last penny of our money went to and there was never any change in the couch cushions.

i was also adept at finding junk in people's trash.  when we moved into base housing, i would regularly go thru people's trash on garbage day.  always found useful stuff, but i wasn't looking for stuff to sell, rather for stuff we could use in our home.  like furnitue, artwork, old curtains, plants, electronic devices, books.  the base always had lots of garage sales on weekends, and i found some of the best stuff, like things from all over the world, great books on interesting subjects, and etc.

i think they made it so you could only have a yard sale on one day of the month on base, and it had to be like a sunday, because the traffic from off base people coming to peruse base gargage sales was bogging down traffic in housing areas.  first few times guys couldn't get to work on time or respond as quickly to emergency call to arms, and the base changed the rules.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:10:03 am by undo11 »
JOIN THE GAME!

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2012, 12:21:55 am »
florida is a treasure trove of garage sales. the weather tends to be warm enough to have garage sales when not in the rainy seasons (august-october and february-may), and you can find them almost any day of the week, with weekends being the most likely.  people still try to have garage sales in the rainy seasons too.  so it's pretty much year round garage sales.

the beaches have been combed over by metal detectors but after a rather high tide such as those that precurse or follow a passing hurricane, new stuff always shows up.  problem is there are a few rules about metal detecting on beaches in florida.  for example, for about a month (in july i think), sea turtles come on shore, lay eggs, and when their babies hatch, the beaches are pretty much off limits, to keep people from inadvertently or intentionally, killing baby sea turtles who are trying to get to the ocean as fast as their little legs can carry them.   any disruption can mess up their little internal radars and they can end up going the wrong way and dying before they ever get near the water.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 12:28:42 am by undo11 »
JOIN THE GAME!

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2012, 12:45:01 am »
RE: pomegranates, yum. :D
can pomegranates be dehydrated? :D seems losing the water would leave only the seed inside, which is kinda useless. wonder if there's a way to trap that tasty juice, or its flavor, in a dehydration process. 

JOIN THE GAME!

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2012, 02:51:18 am »
RE: pomegranates, yum. :D
can pomegranates be dehydrated? :

How to Dry Pomegranates in a Food Dehydrator
http://www.ehow.com/how_7704988_dry-pomegranates-food-dehydrator.html

::)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2012, 03:18:56 am »
hubby and i collected aluminum soda and beer cans in utah, back in the late 80s early 90s.  they had aluminum can recycling machines.  it was 5 cents a pound refund. :/
so we worked pretty hard for it and often ended up smelling like beer.  completely turned me off from recycling scrap metal.

True enough but today its .55 cents a pound and your neighbors will save em and bag en for you No need to dig through trash.   But if you have nothing, even $26.00 is good.  How many times have I heard Amy say she has less than a dollar to her name?

You do what you have to, when you need to. Cans are at the lower end of the options... BUT

Many times I have taken that extra cash from scrap metal and used that cash to buy gold and silver castings for making jewelry.  Then selling that and you get the picture... turning trash into gold, all without bothering the government :D

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2012, 05:11:04 am »
That once a debt has been written off, you are LEGALLY off the hook, even if ethically you know you owe it :D

Those who devour usury will not stand except as stands one whom the devil by his touch has driven to madness. That is because they say: Trade is like usury: but Allah has permitted trade and forbidden usury.... Allah will deprive usury of all blessing, but will give increase for deeds of charity, for He loves not any ungrateful sinner.... O you who believe, fear Allah and give up what remains of your demand for usury, if you are indeed believers. If you do it not, take notice of war from Allah and His messenger, but if you repent you shall have your capital sums; deal not unjustly, and you shall not be dealt with unjustly. And if the debtor is in difficulty, grant him time til it is easy for him to repay. But if you remit it by way of charity, that is best for you if you only knew.
-- Surah al Baqarah, verse 275-280.

Your most ancient texts, like the Bible, talk about the evils of usury. (Meaning lending money at interest). These texts say that usury is the beginning of a chain that leads to destruction. Our suggestion is not to borrow money at interest -- the process itself is based on fictional wealth and is really just a gamble. It promotes disharmony within any system. But everyone has their own choice and it is up to you to decide what is right for you.

The ideal circumstance is to pay off all your debts and stop borrowing. That will take the strain off the system and off of you. It will free your wealth to be ultimately used in other directions.

-- Sasha

Usury is one of the worst and most fundamental forms of evil in existence.  I consider myself morally obligated to repay the principle (that is, the original amount) of a debt; but never interest.  Interest is primarily used as a means of control.  Of course, never getting into debt helps; and AFAIK, I am debt free.  You are welcome to hold me in as much contempt as you want, Zorgon; but being what is considered a loser in most conventional terms, economically speaking, does have some benefits associated with it. ;)
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2012, 06:09:05 am »
z

k once you're rich and your car is fixed, your future is secure and you have tons of moolah to retire on, can ya hire me a 3d modeller and 3d programmer? well actually, i'm seeing some startlingly good html5, canvas and webGL stuff now.  so c++ programmer might not be necessary. :D just a good webGL/canvas/html5 programmer might work.
JOIN THE GAME!

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2012, 06:12:20 am »
petrus4

problem is, if we didn't have a way to borrow money, we'd all be starving to death.  certainly the muslims are not gonna loan a bunch of pagans, christians, jews and atheists, money unless it has strings of some kind attached, and strings are just as bad as interest.  particularly if the strings are connected to things like forced shar'ia, forced abaya, and what's that tax you have to pay muslims if you are a kaffir?  forget the name of it.  same same. 

JOIN THE GAME!

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2012, 07:38:10 am »
petrus4

problem is, if we didn't have a way to borrow money, we'd all be starving to death.  certainly the muslims are not gonna loan a bunch of pagans, christians, jews and atheists, money unless it has strings of some kind attached, and strings are just as bad as interest.  particularly if the strings are connected to things like forced shar'ia, forced abaya, and what's that tax you have to pay muslims if you are a kaffir?  forget the name of it.  same same.

Undo...is it possible for me to talk about anything without you becoming offended, paranoid, and bringing completely irrelevant material into the conversation?

It was an example of a scriptural prohibition against usury.  The only reason why you are reacting like this, is because I got it from the Qu'ran.  If I'd taken it from Hindu scriptures or the Bible, you wouldn't be reacting in this manner.

I'm being reminded of why I never wanted to get into another relationship, after my last ex-girlfriend.  I could make the most innocuous statements which had nothing to do with her at all, and she was ingenious at finding ways to interpret them as being about herself, and then become offended by them.

Stop it.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline undo11

• Creator of game worlds
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 226
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2012, 08:21:02 am »
petrus

perhaps, considering our last discussion, you would've had the wisdom to use a different example.  instead,  you deliberately picked a sensitive subject such as it is, and then yelled at me for responding (as you knew i would).   point is, usury or strings attached, same thing. i'm not going to give one guy the go ahead, without calling it like it is on the other guy.  just cause it's not politically correct, doesn't mean it isn't true.  don't sqaure off on me.  i'm entirely too old and grumpy to be bossed about by some young whipper snapper :D

america is a debt driven economy. if we have no access to new ways to create debt, we would die enmasse from starvation and riots.  not my idea of the way to solve the problem.  i agree, it needs to be solved, but claiming it's righteously outlawed (jesus didn't like it either), while quoting from a book like koran, is an insult to my intelligence.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2012, 08:28:20 am by undo11 »
JOIN THE GAME!

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter