collapse

Author Topic: Gold & Silver  (Read 6279 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: Gold & Silver
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2012, 12:36:49 pm »
Buy it with what...  My silver hair?  [grin]

Well you are a special case :P You don't see the need for money so you don't need gold :P

But for those who want gold I can tell you were to get it :D

At today's prices you don't need to get much to make it worth your while

#1 Platinum

Old catalytic converters.  Many crooks are ripping them off from cars to sell as scrap for platinum recovery. Not a good idea :P  BUT if you have any old cars around you can get $200-300 for an old cat on ebay

#2 Electronic Scrap

There is Gold in them thar computers  LOTS of it.  Take a look at your telephone jack. The four wires in the jack, and the four little wires in the plug... they look yellow :D  because they are GOLD

See all the yellow on computer parts, pins and boards?

Yup that be GOLD

#3 Panning

Back in the seventies I know university students who went to Alaska for a few weeks vacation to pan for gold on the Fraser River...  They found enough nuggets to pay a years tuition. At today's gold price it is a lot more worth the time (This is an activity for the younger ones though :P)

#4 Metal Detector Specimen Mining.

While a good metal detector will find gold and silver coins and jewelry on beaches or where ever people congregate... you can also use it to go over old abandoned mine dumps to find specimens of gold missed by the miners

In the early days mining was by hand and inefficient so lots of gold eneded up in the dumps. In fact one guy acquired the rights to the tailing pile at Eureka Ontario Canada, the first gold strike.  The rights were $36.00 to file the claim. He then aranges to have the dump, already crushed rock, hauled to a modern crusher... and netted 48 million in gold (at 70's prices)

#5 Hard Rock mining

If you have some spare energy... grab a pick and shovel There are a lot of gold viens in the high desert, not enough to be commercially viable but a few hours of heavy labor and you will get results

And besides, some of the other minerals you dig up like the quartz crystals have just as much value as that gols and easier to find :D

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2012, 12:52:25 pm »
Leaching Gold

One way is to use a potassium cyanide solution to remove gold from plated objects. While this works very well, it is HIGHLY TOXIC and NOT recommended for the average person. It also requires permits to buy the chemical

Another way is "electrolysis gold recovery"  This works for silver and platinum etc as well It is basically reversing the process of electroplating and can use a car battery. The precious metal is stripped off the object and collected on a rod

Easiest way is to see you scrap to a REFINERY

Do NOT sell it to gold brokers they will rip you off. A reliable refinery will give you 90% or more return. (there is always some loss in the process and they do have to make a living.)

I have two I recommend

Midwest Refineries LLC
http://www.midwestrefineries.com/gold.htm

They have no minimum order. Family owned and operated since 1939. They have no processing fees and just take 5% so they pay out 95% of the days value when they process your order.

Website lists what they take...

123 Precious Metal Refining, LLC
http://www.123preciousmetal.com/

These guys will process electronic scrap and plated scrap (there are quantity limits here)
We do not refine or accept materials from outside the USA.
We also do not accept Catalytic Converters.

Midwest will take orders outside the US

So you can get the gold scrap back in cash OR gold (bullion... wire and sheet for jewelers... etc)

I had some I was going to send in December but waited... In Dec gold was $1889.00 an ounce and today its down to $1621.20

looks like it dropped a lot in May

http://www.goldprice.org/

Offline Linda Brown

• Gold 52
    • The Cosmic Token
« Reply #17 on: June 03, 2012, 01:00:59 pm »
In 1974 I was working at the Catalina Stables taking tourists out on the " hour trail" I hope some of you out there might remember that if you ever got a chance to visit Catalina. I worked for something like a hundred plus a week and my horses board was paid ( course I was using him so it should have been paid... he worked hard for his hay....) Anyway.... since George had a good job at the Island company I exchanged my paycheck every week for a single gold coin... at the local coin shop. It was pretty close to an even exchange then.....

Now I figure an ounce of gold for a weeks worth of riding ( which I wanted to do anyway... I kept being amazed that they would pay me for doing something I loved so much.)........ but I figure now.... that was probably the highest paying weekly wage that I will ever see once you translate the value of those coins NOW. 

It may go up, it may go down... but in the long run.... it was worth going to to the gold.

John told me about the gold mine that he had when we talked so many years ago.... I hope that he still has it.

Linda

Offline Haole

• Regular Members
  • Gold 4
« Reply #18 on: June 14, 2012, 09:54:05 pm »
http://www.tfmetalsreport.com/podcast/3910/tfmr-podcast-23-jim-willie-trifecta

Take an hour and have a listen, The Golden Jackass has been 90% correct for years in his predictions.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: Music You Love by RUSSO
[Today at 02:12:02 am]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56