collapse

Author Topic: bees  (Read 1861 times)

sky otter

bees
« on: February 04, 2012, 09:27:54 am »
the thread was locked so i am adding this here

this is something i can speak to with personal experience..we have had bee hives for a long time..
hubby luvs those little critters and with a large garden i do too
a few years ago the mites were a big deal but able to be dealt with
a little vasoline on the entrances and they never got into the hives
two years ago we lost the last of  the remaining 6 hives to colony collapse..we haven't been able to reestablish  anything since....and not sure if we are going to try again..but i am running out of raw honey so i will probably push to re establish  a few hives

what a lot of folks don't understand is that the bees need water lots of water

i took this pic in 2006..they had taken over several of the bird baths in my herb garden
because of so little rain..no puddles and the creek was almost gone
i had to get out there very early to make sure there was fresh water every day
they let me get close and take pics as a thank you

the point i am trying to make is that one of the biggest problems is not farmers it is homeowners and roundup....it gets into places where the bees can get it..and sprayed on weeds that are in your garden or flower beds it is a bee killer...because one bee takes it back and they all share

we believe what finished them off was when they sprayed the river for mosquitios
it's less than a mile from the hives

everytime we as comsumers use a chemical because it is easy we are destroying something of nature
our choices of ease and convience are what causes most of it...walk into any store..even the grocery store and see how big the insecticide aisle is..and how many chemical products are in every aisle
i have only one use for bug spray..and that's against someone breaking into my home...i keep a can of that wasp spray that shoots 12 to 14 feet incase of a break in..one shot to the face and
no loud bang from a gun or nasty ass residue on your hands ...
sorry got side tracked there

my main point is we can't call the chem companies evil if we are buying their stuff now can we..?

believe it or not you have more power in what you purchase than anything else..
if there isn't a profit..it goes away..pretty damn simple
ok..off the soapbox..
 :-X

Offline Linda Brown

• Gold 52
    • The Cosmic Token
Re: bees
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2012, 09:46:22 am »
What you have said here about having the power to control their profit margins is exactly what I have been trying to say in my poor fashion..... that we have more power than we have been led to believ.

If all of this is monetary and greed driven then go where it hurts them as producers of those goods. We have an ENORMOUS power there....use their need for that profit to make them do what is better for all of us....

The idea of complaining about how much power corporate entities have over us ( Sorry Amaterus) just does not wash with me. Each individual can make a change. But that is not what is wanted to be recognized and anytime we give them the power of agreeing that they are running our lives.... they win.

I agree with everything that you have said here. Colony Collapse is something that we have seen here too. Out here in the desert.... when someone messes with the water availability it affects everything. We are so paranoid about leaving breeding ground available for West Nile and mostquitos that the poor bees got damaged too. Nature has its own special balance. All we have to do is learn or we migh find ourselves on her own " cancell out " list.   Linda

Captain Dave

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2012, 02:37:52 pm »
Wouldn't it be nice if we had the planet divided into "grids" and monitored the animal life within each part of the grid for changes.

A nice view from space where we could zoom in and out of areas checking on wild life.

Instead of pesticides, there are abundant creatures provided by nature everywhere to solve insect problems and create balance.

For instance, where mosquito's are concerned we should build bat or swallow boxes/ habitats and allow for a natural solutions that work.

Pesticides are only going to kill us all off and everything else - it's a slippery slope where profit isn't justifed. The ends don't justify the means. imo...

We have the means but lack the organization.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 02:44:28 pm by Captain Dave »

sky otter

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2012, 02:47:37 pm »

Hi Cpt'n Dave
the out of balance is become more and more obvious
unfortunately the bats are also having a real hard time..here in Pa. we have lost almost 97% of them in all five species that live heer..it's really bad

North American bat death toll exceeds 5.5 million from white-nose syndrome
News release (January 17, 2012)
http://www.fws.gov/whitenosesyndrome/

Captain Dave

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2012, 02:59:16 pm »
They should take healthy bats (and other animals) from each species and start a breeding program. The bats can then be relocated where needed. = Jobs

Take it to the next step and have people build/mfg the houses/habitats... = Jobs

In many cases, such as in building projects..., so much wood etc is discarded - so recycling materials would cause less harm to the environment... = Jobs

They should be studying the bat diseases (and other animals) and combating them through the most natural means possible = Jobs

I know "some" of this is done already, but the information isn't wide spread enough (organized) The public should be involved where ever posible to help with solutions. Training should be involved for those who wish to participate further... (free online training at least to some decent extent.)

News stories should contain more than just the story, but direct people to where they can go to help solve the problems... = more and more and more Jobs...
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 03:06:12 pm by Captain Dave »

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]