collapse

Author Topic: First object teleported to Earth's orbit  (Read 1764 times)

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
First object teleported to Earth's orbit
« on: July 11, 2017, 06:37:54 pm »

http://www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment-40573621/first-object-teleported-to-earth-s-orbit

vid

First object teleported to Earth's orbit
Chinese researchers have teleported a photon from the Gobi desert to a satellite orbiting five hundred kilometres above the earth.

This is achieved through quantum entanglement, a process where two particles react as one with no physical connection between them.

Hooke Professor of Experimental Physics at Oxford University Ian Walmsley tells the World At One how quantum entanglement works and how teleportation could be utilised.

11 Jul 2017
 From the section Science & Environment

First Object Teleported from Earth to Orbit - MIT Technology Review
https://www.technologyreview.com/s/.../first-object-teleported-from-earth-to-orbit/
1 day ago - Researchers in China have teleported a photon from the ground to a satellite orbiting more than 500 kilometers above. ... Micius is a highly sensitive photon receiver that can detect the quantum states of single photons fired from the ground. ... And they’ve used this quantum network to ...

First object teleported to Earth's orbit - BBC News - BBC.com
www.bbc.com/news/av/science-environment.../first-object-teleported-to-earth-s-orbit
11 hours ago - Chinese researchers have teleported a photon from the Gobi desert to a satellite orbiting five hundred kilometres above the earth.

First Object Teleported From Earth To Orbit - Slashdot
https://science.slashdot.org/story/17/07/11/.../first-object-teleported-from-earth-to-orbi...
11 hours ago - And they've used this quantum network to teleport the first object from the ground to orbit. Teleportation has become a standard operation in ...

Scientists Just Teleported The First OBJECT From Earth To Orbit
Video for First object teleported to Earth's orbit▶
www.disclose.tv › Science
14 hours ago

A Chinese team has announced that they have successfully created the world's first satellite-to-ground ...
Photon Teleported Between Earth and Space for the First Time ...

https://www.extremetech.com › Extreme
1 day ago - Photon Teleported Between Earth and Space for the First Time ... “teleportation” has been demonstrated between Earth and an object in space. ... orbit, meaning it passes over the same point on Earth at the same time each ...

First Object Teleported from Earth to Orbit: Researchers in China have ...
https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/.../first_object_teleported_from_earth_to_orbit/
14 hours ago - *information teleportationFirst Object Teleported from Earth to Orbit: Researchers in China have teleported a photon from the ground to a ...

First object teleported to Earth's orbit - BBC News : space - Reddit
https://www.reddit.com/r/space/.../first_object_teleported_to_earths_orbit_bbc_news/
4 hours ago - View Full Calendar All times are shown in UTC. If you know of an event that should be here, message the moderators and let us know!

Scientists Just Teleported a Photon from Earth to Orbit for the First Time
https://futurism.com/scientists-just-teleported-a-photon-from-earth-to-orbit-for-the-fir...
1 day ago - Not only did the team teleport the first object ever from the ground to orbit, they also created the first satellite-to-ground quantum network, ...

First ever Earth-orbit teleportation completed - Sky News
news.sky.com/story/first-ever-earth-orbit-teleportation-completed-10944701
10 hours ago - Scientists have completed the first teleportation of an object from Earth to a satellite orbiting more than 300 miles away. Alas, those of you ...

« Last Edit: July 11, 2017, 06:42:25 pm by space otter »

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
Re: First object teleported to Earth's orbit
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2017, 09:54:31 pm »
The use of the word teleportation is somewhat inaccurate.  What they have managed to do, specifically, is cause a remote photon to adopt the same state or conditions as a local one, while only interacting with the local one.  An analogy would be, if the satellite contained a Twitter message with a particular hashtag, and if, by modifying a local copy of the message with the same hashtag, the satellite's copy automatically and instantly changed to match the content of the local copy, with no time difference between the two.

I can build storage chests within Minecraft, and said storage units correspond with each other, by being labelled with the same colour sequence; let us say, blue, red, and yellow.  If I then put a piece of cobblestone inside one of these storage units, I can then walk 200 blocks away from the first storage unit, while carrying the second.  When I put the second down on the ground and open it, that piece of cobblestone will be accessible for me to remove and place back into the world.

My ability to do that, relies on the fact that Minecraft is a fundamentally acorporeal or digital environment.  To the extent that it physically exists anywhere, (or more properly, within the particular level of recursion that I refer to as physical reality) it does so within files on a computer's hard drive. 

I use the term level of recursion because it gives me an analogous method (incrementally false, but harmlessly so, and convenient) of understanding the relationship of different levels to each other; but you would recognise the term universe.  The main reason why I don't really like the word "universe" as such, is because to me it implies something which exists in isolation, on its' own, and in my mind universes don't do that.  They are sealed from each other, yes; I can't physically reach Universe B from Universe A.  I have to use quantum (or Uranian, in my own vocabulary) methods to move between them; but I still only think of them as relating to each other. 

One of my cognitive difficulties is the fact that I can only really think in terms of the interaction between different levels of recursion, rather than existing exclusively in terms of one or the other.  For me, physical reality by itself is not much use without the Internet, but the Internet can not exist without physical reality, either; this is our first practical exposure to the Hypercube.  Both need each other.  This is also why I don't like mobile phones or social media, because I view them as threatening to disregard physical reality to an excessive degree.

What we consider to be non-linear travel, therefore, relies on the ability to interact with levels of recursion which are more fundamental than our own; because our existence at that level is represented as pure information, we can simply edit said information there, and a change will occur in the level of recursion which we regard as physical reality.

Notch, Minecraft's author, has at times implied that he believes that there are universes in which Minecraft save files, their terrain, and their creatures, all have just as much reality to their own inhabitants as our physical reality does to us, and that when we interact with the game, we are actually creating consequences for said inhabitants.

Welcome to fourth density, kids.  Life is about to get a lot more interesting.

"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
Re: First object teleported to Earth's orbit
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2017, 10:08:02 am »
This is a cool thing..so cool!

But I think a thread like this came up not so long ago and it triggered me to recall someone I had read age's ago Who had one good story...and for the life of me I don't recall the website...

All I recall it was some dude who discovered the JPL Quantum Division getting up to some funny biz.

And before we think of how wonderous the OTHER version's may be or not...

Here in OZ we 'Publicly beat the world to this'

http://www.abc.net.au/catalyst/stories/s665599.htm

BEAM ME UP (05/09/2002)

TRANSCRIPT
Narration: The science fiction world of Star Trek created a machine that could teleport humans across space. But was this concept a total fantasy in the minds of the producers? This is not the Starship Enterprise, but this team of Australian scientists has just brought the imaginary world of Star Trek a tiny step closer.

Led by team captain Dr Ping Koy Lam of the ANU, they’ve just beaten 40 labs around the world to build a reliable teleporter...... the culmination of years of work at the mysterious and subatomic frontier of quantum physics.

Tim Ralph: It’s really a case that in the subatomic world things behave in a way that has no analogy in the everyday life.

Ben Buchler: Teleportation is one of these technologies which people have suggested is going to be important inside a quantum computer.

Ping Koy Lam: This is not the end of it. This is only the beginning.

Narration: And this is the ANU laboratory where it’s all happening.

Q   This is it?
A   Yes, that’s the one.
Q   The quantum teleporter.

Narration: Today the team will try and repeat the experiment which recently made world news. This technology doesn’t teleport matter yet, let alone a human being. But if all goes well, it will teleport a simple beam of photons. That means destroying them in one place and recreating them just one metre across the lab.

Ben Buchler: We start off with a laser beam and we prepare the laser beam here and it’s completely destroyed totally annihilated in these two detectors here and then it’s going to pop out back at this mirror right here.

Narration: To teleport something you first have to measure it before you can reproduce it somewhere else. But the problem is something called the Heisenberg uncertainty principle, which says that you can’t measure subatomic particles without destroying their original state. And if you can’t measure something accurately, how can you recreate it?

Tim Ralph: Well obviously the Star Trek writers were well aware of this problem. You know, I think physicists had come up to them and said oh by the way, there is a bit of a problem with your teleporter, and so they invented this machine they called the Heisenberg compensator, which somehow was supposed to get around this problem.

Narration: But in the real world of quantum physics they came up with their own Heisenberg compensator. It’s a device called a quantum entangler, which sidesteps the uncertainty principle without violating it. It’s so complex that even the physicists themselves have trouble explaining how it works, and so do we.

Tim Ralph: Whatever you do don’t try to understand quantum mechanics because you will just get down a blind alley. It just is not like every day life. It is weird.

Narration: It may be weird but there’s a lot at stake. For now teleportation is not about beaming up space cadets... it’s about information transfer. And this research could lead to a new generation of computers a billion times faster than today’s technology.

Narration: To the naked eye it looks like there’s nothing here, but this is actually full of light isn’t it?

Ben Buchler: There’s a lot of light here. It’s incredibly dangerous.

Narration: With the lights dimmed and an infrared camera, we can follow the powerful laser trail. The final detailed calibrations have been made, and the teleporter is hopefully ready to do its work.

Ben Buchler: Our optical entangler is being powered at the moment.

Jonica Newby: So is it all systems go?

Ben Buchler: I think so yes. So we open this. And so at the moment, the beam that we’re teleporting is heading down here, which is where we measured it. And now we’re going to send it to these teleporting detectors.

Jonica Newby: So once you move that, it’s ready to teleport.

Ben Buchler: That’s right.

Narration: Well I guess we’ll have to take their word for it. All that remains is to get the result.

Jonica Newby: Did it work?

Tim Ralph: So what is the result

Ben Buchler: Yea yea, it’s beaten limit that people thought was impossible in 1993, so yes it’s worked again.

Narration: The ANU team are not the only ones to have built a successful teleporting machine. But they’re confident they’re ahead of a highly competitive pack in the race to create the technology of the future.

Tim Ralph: If we want to keep making computers that are bigger and faster then we will need to worry about things like quantum information.

Ben Buchler: So you’re looking at using teleportation type technology with cryptographic systems, with quantum computing systems

Ping Loy: We also would like to think about how to actually transform our photonic teleporter into an atomic teleporter and so suddenly we find ourselves even busier than before.

Narration: There may be a long way to go but there is cause for celebration. And you still can’t help wondering just how long it might be before we can teleport people.

Ben Buchler: If you make an analogy out of that then if teleporting a human is walking from one side of the universe to the other so far we’ve come less than a millimetre.

Narration: I see so I’m not going to see energiser beam me up next week am I?

Ben Buchler: Only on Star Trek

Topics: Maths & Physics

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56