collapse

Author Topic: Laptop Recommendations  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
Laptop Recommendations
« on: February 14, 2017, 01:43:03 pm »
Hello Fellow Members,

I am kicking around getting a laptop and going online the old-fashioned way. I would like input from other members as to what laptop you would buy for yourself for this purpose.

All input, positive or negative, is welcome.

Thank you in advance for your contributions to this thread.

Regards,

Irene :)
Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.....

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
Re: Laptop Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2017, 02:32:40 pm »
Personally, i prefer Dell or Toshiba; big hard drive, usually lots of memory, wifi, the usual bells and whistles...

8)

Seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2017, 03:06:55 pm »
Toshiba will not last long...I have had these when I did field service work and only ever managed to keep one for about 5 - 6 months. Hard drives are not very good.

If you want anything reliable get a solid state hard drive option. Had good luck with Asus & HP laptops. Still have an Asus laptop that is almost 6 years old and still works.

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2017, 03:16:42 pm »
I buy exclusively DELL...have a long standing account.

Several years ago, I bought laptops for 3 of my kids.... and one for myself....(most of my lunar videos were done on this laptop.)
Max memory is always a must, good graphics card also. I bought an XPS MODEL.

One thing did look for were plenty of USB ports....
I then bought several external drives, two, one terabyte drives and one 2 terabyte...(best idea I had)...filled them up with Lunar photos and music.

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline rdunk

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 389
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2017, 04:25:08 pm »
Irene, do you actually need a "laptop" in today's world?? If you do........then you do!! But today, if you want a laptop to carry around when you go places, a laptop is a pretty heavy choice relative to others options, like maybe an IPad. For me now, the online stuff I want to do when I am away from home, I use an iPad or my iPhone

For my home use, I use an Apple IMac with 27 inch display screen - I didn't really want to change to Apple, but a son gave this to me. After some learning on using it, I would never go back to a Microsoft based machine. And that 27 inch HD display is really great for watching videos and searching for Mars and Moon anomalies!! Also I do like the Apple file systems much better, and now when working on a file or editing, it does automatically save any changes:)

The Apple Air laptop is good - my wife has one. Has the same basic operating system as on my IMac. I do still prefer to use a "bluetooth mouse", even with the Apple laptop!  :) 

« Last Edit: February 14, 2017, 04:30:12 pm by rdunk »

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2017, 04:38:13 pm »
Irene, do you actually need a "laptop" in today's world?? If you do........then you do!! But today, if you want a laptop to carry around when you go places, a laptop is a pretty heavy choice relative to others options, like maybe an IPad. For me now, the online stuff I want to do when I am away from home, I use an iPad or my iPhone

For my home use, I use an Apple IMac with 27 inch display screen - I didn't really want to change to Apple, but a son gave this to me. After some learning on using it, I would never go back to a Microsoft based machine. And that 27 inch HD display is really great for watching videos and searching for Mars and Moon anomalies!! Also I do like the Apple file systems much better, and now when working on a file or editing, it does automatically save any changes:)

The Apple Air laptop is good - my wife has one. Has the same basic operating system as on my IMac. I do still prefer to use a "bluetooth mouse", even with the Apple laptop!  :)

I do everything on my S6. My monthly phone bill is $300+ for 40G's+.

I just read Verizon is going to offer unlimited data again, but will slow service if you burn too many G's. W T F . . .

Complete bulls**t. Just once I'd like to be treated reasonably as a consumer.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2017, 05:01:47 pm »
For my home use, I use an Apple IMac with 27 inch display screen.

If you don't mind, what version OS are you running.? I thought my IMac at 9.22 was maxed out at that, and my internet provider - Windstream here in north Georgia - does not support anything Mac before 10.x    :(

Thank you.
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2017, 05:24:09 pm »
Toshiba will not last long...I have had these when I did field service work and only ever managed to keep one for about 5 - 6 months. Hard drives are not very good.

If you want anything reliable get a solid state hard drive option. Had good luck with Asus & HP laptops. Still have an Asus laptop that is almost 6 years old and still works.
My last Toshiba lasted for over six years; the case broke at the hinge when it died, but the hard drive and all the hardware is still good  8) I am using the hard drive out of it with a SATA drive as an external hd  :P

Seeker
Seekers Domain

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2017, 05:50:12 pm »
The only laptop I bought was an old, second hand Toshiba that was completely obsolete at the time (that's why it was so cheap), as I prefer desktop systems to laptops (they allow me to change more things ;D ).

From what I have seen with the laptops used at work and from those brought by clients to repair, there aren't really better or worse brands, which is no surprise, when you see that all components are the same, made by a few companies.

Having said that, I always liked Asus, either laptops, desktops or just motherboards (some HP desktops use rebranded Asus motherboards), but the most recent Asus bought by the company where I work broke both hinges after a few months, but it keeps on working, three years after. :)

PS: I only recommend solid state drives if you don't have any problem losing the data on the hard drive, solid state drives, when they fail they fail suddenly, without warning and there's no way of recovering the data.

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2017, 05:55:35 pm »
My last Toshiba lasted for over six years; the case broke at the hinge when it died, but the hard drive and all the hardware is still good  8) I am using the hard drive out of it with a SATA drive as an external hd  :P

Seeker

I have always had Toshibas, four of them. I bought the last one in '06, which was the only one I had a problem with, and they were known for this. The DVD aspect of the thing stopped working, although the CD-ROM aspect was unaffected. Weird.

I am partial to Toshibas, but I would like as much info as possible from those experienced with recent laptops.

Ellirium,

What is a "solid state hard drive"?

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2017, 05:58:55 pm »
What is a "solid state hard drive"?
I know I'm not Elirium, but a solid state hard drive is more or less the same as an USB drive connected inside the computer instead of a mechanical hard drive. They are much faster, silent and use less power. They are also more expensive.

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2017, 06:05:20 pm »
I know I'm not Elirium, but a solid state hard drive is more or less the same as an USB drive connected inside the computer instead of a mechanical hard drive. They are much faster, silent and use less power. They are also more expensive.

Thanks ArMaP.  :)

Offline The Seeker

• Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2017, 06:12:33 pm »
The best bet is to store everything on an external hard drive and make back up copies  8)

but that is just my opinion; I am not a computer geek  :P

Seeker
Seekers Domain

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2017, 06:28:43 pm »
The best bet is to store everything on an external hard drive and make back up copies  8)

At work I make copies of all important files every day. Once a week those copies are copied to another disk. At the end of the year that copy is encrypted and uploaded to a cloud storage service. :)

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2017, 06:29:49 pm »

Seeker

The only things I need to save are a few documents and personal photos, so I have everything backed up on thumbs.

I am looking at scanning the family photos though, about 6000 of them. Huge project.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter