collapse

Author Topic: Ventura won $1.8 million lawsuit  (Read 9643 times)

space otter

Ventura won $1.8 million lawsuit
« on: January 28, 2015, 10:30:36 pm »

good ole Jessie.. luv him or hate him he's entertaining

Ventura won't see 'American Sniper'; says Kyle is no hero

The Associated Press FILE - In this July 8, 2014 file photo, former Navy SEAL and Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura, right, walks into Warren E. Burger Federal Building during the first day of jury selection in a defamation lawsuit in St. Paul, Minn. Ventura…

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — "American Sniper" is tops at the box office but don't expect to see former Minnesota Gov. Jesse Ventura lining up at a theater for it.

Ventura, a former Navy SEAL, won $1.8 million in a defamation lawsuit last year against the estate of the late Chris Kyle, the SEAL protagonist of the movie, which has sparked debate over whether snipers should be considered heroes. Ventura said Wednesday he won't see the film partly because Kyle is no hero to him.

"A hero must be honorable, must have honor. And you can't have honor if you're a liar. There is no honor in lying," Ventura told The Associated Press from his winter home in Baja California, Mexico. He also noted that the movie isn't playing there.

Ventura also dismissed the movie as propaganda because it conveys the false idea that Iraq had something to do with the 9/11 attacks. "It's as authentic as 'Dirty Harry,'" he said, referring to fictional movie series starring Clint Eastwood, the director of "American Sniper."

Ventura testified Kyle fabricated a subchapter in his "American Sniper" book in which Kyle claimed he punched out a man, whom he later identified as Ventura, at a California bar in 2006 for allegedly saying the SEALs "deserve to lose a few" in Iraq. Ventura said it never happened.
The jury gave Ventura the legal vindication he craved. Publisher HarperCollins removed the passage from the best-seller, and it gets no mention in the movie. Kyle's estate has appealed. Ventura's separate lawsuit against HarperCollins remains pending.

The former wrestler is now working on the second season of his online-only political talk show "Off the Grid" at Ora.tv, which he records in Mexico, where he lives in a solar-powered home with a satellite Internet connection.

Ed Huddleston, a lawyer for Kyle's widow, Taya Kyle, said they won't comment on Ventura's remarks because the lawsuit is on appeal.

Kyle was killed in 2013 on a shooting range. The former Marine charged in his death goes on trial in Texas next month.

The "American Sniper" film has been a sensation at the box office and has earned more than $200 million domestically since it was released last month on Christmas day.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Re: Ventura won $1.8 million lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 03:46:31 am »

good ole Jessie.. luv him or hate him he's entertaining
Or you can do what I do, ignore him. ;D

Offline Dyna

• Gold 127
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2015, 12:14:14 pm »
I wonder what evidence was presented, almost seems like a your word against mine kind of thing.

I think Mr ventura seems to be, a very direct person as I am myself. Being very direct usually means truthful also because you don't really care to waste time manipulating not worth the bother.

People seem to feel that making money off of what you do can only mean you are corrupt. I disagree.
When the debate is lost,
slander becomes the tool of the loser.
Socrates

space otter

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2016, 04:25:10 pm »

and then he didn't..

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/court-throws-out-dollar18-million-judgment-against-%E2%80%98american-sniper%E2%80%99-chris-kyle%E2%80%99s-estate/ar-AAgZTiO?li=BBnbcA1

Washington Post - Washington Post The Washington Post
Dan Lamothe
50 mins ago

Court throws out $1.8 million judgment against ‘American Sniper’ Chris Kyle’s estate

An appeals court on Monday threw out a $1.8 million judgment against the estate of former Navy SEAL Chris Kyle that had been awarded in a lawsuit alleging Kyle had defamed former Minnesota governor Jesse Ventura in his best-selling book “American Sniper.”

Ventura, a fellow Navy veteran, said that Kyle defamed him in his 2012 book and subsequent interviews by saying the two got into a bar fight in 2006 after Ventura said the SEALs deserved to “lose a few” for their involvement in the Iraq War at a gathering following a SEAL’s funeral. Ventura denied the incident occurred.

A Minnesota jury decided in 2014 that Ventura deserved $500,000 in damages and about $1.3 million in “unjust enrichment,” which is typically awarded in cases in which the court finds someone unfairly or by chance made money at the expense of another, requiring restitution. The decision came after Kyle was murdered on a Texas gun range in 2013, and as Warner Brothers was putting the finishing touches on a film based on Kyle’s book that went on to become a blockbuster.

But in a 26-page ruling, the U.S. Court of Appeals for the 8th Circuit overruled the lower district court. At least seven witnesses testifying on behalf of Kyle’s estate said they heard some of the inflammatory remarks attributed to Ventura and “offered generally similar accounts of what Ventura said,” according to the ruling. All of those witnesses were current or former Navy SEALs, or friends or family of SEALs. Three people testified on Ventura’s behalf and said they saw no altercation, while acknowledging they were not with him the whole evening.

The court vacated the judgment in part by citing a line of questioning and statements made by Ventura’s counsel about the insurance policy covering Kyle’s book, published by HarperCollins. In particular, statements that any money awarded to Ventura would be paid for by the insurance policy, rather than Kyle’s family, were “improper and prejudicial,” according to the new ruling.
The appeals court also found that the district court erred by allowing Ventura’s legal team to ask HarperCollins employees under oath if they were aware that the publisher had paid for an insurance policy that would pay for libel and defamation claims against the Kyle estate. The questions assumed facts that had never been admitted in evidence and made it appear that Kyle’s editor, Peter Hubbard, and publicist, Sharyn Rosenblum, were biased in Kyle’s favor, the higher court found.

“As a matter of basic evidentiary foundation, Ventura never established by direct evidence or reasonable inference that Rosenblum and Hubbard even knew about any insurance coverage or possible insurance payment,” according to the ruling. “Rosenblum and Hubbard had no personal knowledge on the topic and were not qualified to testify on the subject.”

The appeals court also noted that even with the questionable statements that were allowed, the jury struggled to reach a decision in Ventura’s favor. After five days of deliberations, it voted 8 to 2 in his favor.

The court did note there are questionable details about Kyle’s account of the bar fight, and that photographs taken a day later show Ventura had no visible damage to his face. The trial essentially became “a credibility contest between Ventura, Kyle and their respective witnesses,” and Kyle was prevented from having a fair trial, the new ruling said.

Attempts to reach Ventura and the Kyle family were not immediate successful, and they had no initial comment on social media. Debbie Lee, whose son Marc served with Kyle before getting killed in a firefight, shared a story on Facebook celebrating the decision.

“Sweet justice!” she wrote.

Kyle did not name Ventura in his book but identified him during subsequent media interviews while promoting it. He referred to Ventura in the book as a “celebrity” and “Scruff Face” and wrote that he was “running his mouth about the war and anything and everything connected to it” while spending time with SEALs who were mourning the death of Michael Mansoor, who was killed in Iraq and posthumously awarded the Medal of Honor.

Kyle recounted that he told Ventura to “cool it,” and the former governor responded by taking a swing at him. Kyle “laid him out,” he wrote.

“Tables flew. Stuff happened,” he wrote. “Scruff Face ended up on the floor.”

An earlier version of this story incorrectly identified the court that ruled on Kyle’s case today.

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2016, 05:20:21 pm »
There is a God! Ventura is a lowlife.

Rock 8)
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline fansongecho

• We search by night and day -
  • Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 01:48:47 pm »

Sgt Rocknroll.. 

Sgt Rocknroll.. 

Fansongecho calling..

Fansongecho calling..   :)

Was there a reason for Mr Ventura to live off-grid? as I understand it, he moved to Mexico?..  maybe my info is wrong ??    ???

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 03:01:12 pm »
Fansongecho

please don't be pissed at my jumping in here but you have provided me with an opening to one of my pet peeves...

folks who ask but never look.. i don't know if that is you generally but on this occasion      i get to reply

a simple goodle search
OMG a google search....
 (hey i'm female and can now claim retired sooo  i don't know all those fancy places you guys use   ;D   :-[   ::) )

here's a second in time to do this
everythings on here..you just have to decide how much of it is correct and/ or how much you want to believe.....cause it's still humans putting stuff on here

please don't feel picked on  like pets r us thinks females are doing..you just hit one of my  soap box thingies
Z used to bait stuff like that all the time and sit back and laugh..so i don't share as much anymore :P

https://www.google.com/search?

why did Jesse ventura move to mexico

About 424,000 results (0.69 seconds)

Jesse Ventura: I move around in Mexico so drones can't find me - The ...
https://www.theverge.com/.../jesse-ventura-says-he-moves-around-mexico-so-drones-...
Feb 5, 2014 - Former Minnesota governor and pro wrestler Jesse Ventura is currently on the press circuit around the launch of his talk show Off the Grid, but ...

Jesse Ventura Says He's Hiding From U.S. Drones In Mexico. Well, He ...
www.thesmokinggun.com/buster/Jesse-Ventura-Mexican-hideaway-675432
Feb 7, 2014 - If you're looking for Jesse Ventura's remote Mexican hideaway, it can be found at 23° 30' 57.08" N 109° 28' 41.17" W. During an appearance ...

Jesse Ventura says he's hiding in Mexico so “the drones can't find me ...
www.salon.com/.../jesse_ventura_says_he’s_hiding_in_mexico_so_“the_drones_can’t...
Feb 5, 2014 - Jesse Ventura says he's hiding in Mexico so “the drones can't find me” ... I move about with my TV show so that the drones can't find me and ...

had to come  back and make sure this link was here..

https://deadspin.com/5856551/jesse-ventura-is-sick-of-america-plans-to-become-mexican
Jesse Ventura Is Sick Of America, Plans To Become Mexican - Deadspin
deadspin.com/5856551/jesse-ventura-is-sick-of-america-plans-to-become-mexican
Nov 4, 2011 - In protest, Ventura said he would apply for Mexican citizenship. Because clearly there's no ... Jesse Ventura Is Sick Of America, Plans To Become Mexican · Luke O'Brien ... "The Body" does not like pat-downs. "The Body" ...

then down a few more is an offer to show you just how off the grid he went

Images for jesse ventura baja house

holy crap i got a whole page of script for a link,,so  here's the page you can go look for yourself

https://www.google.com/search?q=jesse+ventura+baja+house&sa=X&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&ved=0ahUKEwi8uribrcbWAhVjzVQKHZ-DBfwQ7AkIRg&biw=1010&bih=640#imgrc=o4TRfocn3UwpkM:

« Last Edit: September 27, 2017, 03:12:18 pm by space otter »

Offline fansongecho

• Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 03:32:49 pm »

Hi Space Otter,

No wurries at all, I get your frustration, and hear where you are coming from with your response to my post, my thinking is (and it may well be wrong of course) is that there may be people on this forum may well be closer to the actual truth about a HUGE number of items and subjects on here that are US related / centric.

Google are telling me that JV moved to avoid DRONES..  in the few videos and programs I have seen about JV it seemed to me that a EX-SEAL would realise that it would take a lot more than moving into Mexico and living "off grid" to remain safe from Drones and the black OPS types who may be very motivated to find you and execute oneself with extreme prejudice - especially if he was commenting on this and sharing it with the world at large: I dunno where Google got their source material ???

I would think that if you are going to go "dark" and live off grid, then it maybe prudent to actually do that and not have any contact with Mainstream/Lamestream Global entities ??  especially those that have alleged links to the Security Services of the USA ??  - I cant prove that but I suspect that they do -

Going back to what my original question, it seemed to myself when watching JV and his investigative programs that he had buy-in and the blessing of the establishment many moons ago, he is a decorated SEAL ? and as we are a few thousand miles away and we get some of the US programs months or years after they are firstly shown in the US I was curious if there was a back story that I had not seen or been aware of -

In summary, I have issues trusting Google, Yahoo and the others, I prefer to read individual testimony and form an opinion after doing some trawling for information on subjects outside of the normal - and no I am not offended, just stating my position.

Respectfully...    :)

Fansongecho  8)

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 03:56:13 pm »

ah fansongecho

thanks for not being upset.. and big hugs  :D

i was a jessie fan a lonnnnnnng time ago when he
was 'the body' and then went on to be a gov..i liked what he said..and i enjoyed the show but i also knew that he is a showman to the bone

when he started his show on the 'hidden' gov programs i think he did it with good intend but  it fell flat.. or maybe he  really  was  a target as he claims

he lost  most of his following with his suit against the sniper guy.. whom in my opinion was also a showboat..
old dude - young dude and ego spilling everywhere
people  do pick sides

and when he thought because of his  hip replacement he should have a free pass going thru security  and he didn't get it.. he stomped away..
i never checked to see if he gave up his citizenship cause by that point i didn't care.. i did put a few posts about him on here (if you
have time to kill)

In summary, I have issues trusting Google, Yahoo and the others, I prefer to read individual testimony and form an opinion after doing some trawling for information on subjects outside of the normal - and no I am not offended, just stating my position.

we are in agreement  and have similar hunting techniques 

if it wasn't so dang hot i would be outside and never seen  it..hahahahah

respect back at cha

Offline fansongecho

• Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 04:04:10 pm »
 :)
Cute picky, I love Otters :-)

((HUGSBACK))

How hot is it there ?..

Have a good one!
Fans'  ;D

Offline fansongecho

• Gold 31
  • Check.. Check-6
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2018, 03:43:29 pm »

Bump - Anything happening recently with JV?..  any news stateside on him?.. 2018 ??

Curious  :)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
Official John Lear Tin Foil Hat $19.99

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56