collapse

Author Topic: NASA Is Testing ‘Impossible’ Warp Drive Engine- And It Seems To Be Working.  (Read 5181 times)

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
NASA Is Testing ‘Impossible’ Warp Drive Engine- And It Seems To Be Working.

It could take humans to Mars in just ten weeks.

I am not sure if I believe this Looking at this device that appears rather basic for such a claim as a Warp Drive engine !

NASA is testing a fuel-free engine which has been described as ‘impossible’ - and it seems to be working.

The concept of the EM Drive was considered implausible - and scientists suggested that it broke the laws of physics.

But in its first public update on its tests, NASA has said that the engine still appears to work.

The engine works by bouncing microwaves around inside an enclosed container, and was designed by British researcher Roger Shawyer.

Previously, NASA researchers have said that the drive is ‘ producing a force that is not attributable to any classical electromagnetic phenomenon’.

If the ‘EM Drive’ works, it could take humans to Mars in a fraction of the time currently possible - landing people on the Red Planet within just 10 weeks. .

Paul March of NASA said, 'I will tell you that we first built and installed a second generation, closed face magnetic damper that reduced the stray magnetic fields in the vacuum chamber by at least an order of magnitude and any Lorentz force interactions it could produce,' he said

'And yet the anomalous thrust signals remain.'

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/nasa-is-testing--impossible--warp-drive-engine--and-it-seems-to-be-working-075731244.html#dELu9k3

Offline funbox

• Gold 117
is it me or does it have the look of  something born from the eighteenth century ? :D
or something to cook up an alcoholic broth in

good luck with it, however it looks

copper alloy look? :D

funbox

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Evaluating NASA’s Futuristic EM Drive
April 29, 2015 by José Rodal, Ph.D, Jeremiah Mullikin and Noel Munson - subedited by Chris Gebhardt

A group at NASA’s Johnson Space Center has successfully tested an electromagnetic (EM) propulsion drive in a vacuum – a major breakthrough for a multi-year international effort comprising several competing research teams. Thrust measurements of the EM Drive defy classical physics’ expectations that such a closed (microwave) cavity should be unusable for space propulsion because of the law of conservation of momentum.

EM Drive:

Last summer, NASA Eagleworks – an advanced propulsion research group led by Dr. Harold “Sonny” White at the Johnson Space Center (JSC) – made waves throughout the scientific and technical communities when the group presented their test results on July 28-30, 2014, at the 50th AIAA/ASME/SAE/ASEE Joint Propulsion Conference in Cleveland, Ohio.

Those results related to experimental testing of an EM Drive – a concept that originated around 2001 when a small UK company, Satellite Propulsion Research Ltd (SPR), under Roger J. Shawyer, started a Research and Development (R&D) program.

The concept of an EM Drive as put forth by SPR was that electromagnetic microwave cavities might provide for the direct conversion of electrical energy to thrust without the need to expel any propellant.

2015-04-19-005958This lack of expulsion of propellant from the drive was met with initial skepticism within the scientific community because this lack of propellant expulsion would leave nothing to balance the change in the spacecraft’s momentum if it were able to accelerate.

However, in 2010, Prof. Juan Yang in China began publishing about her research into EM Drive technology, culminating in her 2012 paper reporting higher input power (2.5kW) and tested thrust (720mN) levels of an EM Drive.

In 2014, Prof. Yang’s papers reported extensive tests involving internal temperature measurements with embedded thermocouples.

It was reported (in SPR Ltd.’s website) that if the Chinese EM Drive were to be installed in the International Space Station (ISS) and work as reported, it could provide the necessary delta-V (change in velocity needed to perform an on-orbit maneuver) to compensate for the Station’s orbital decay and thus eliminate the requirement of re-boosts from visiting vehicles.  Despite these reports, Prof. Yang offered no scientifically-accepted explanation as to how the EM Drive can produce propulsion in space.

Lot more here...
http://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2015/04/evaluating-nasas-futuristic-em-drive/

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
NEVER A STRAIGHT ANSWER says:

No Warp Drive Here: NASA Downplays 'Impossible' EM Drive Space Engine
by Elizabeth Howell, Space.com Contributor

Engineers around the globe aim to develop new propulsion systems that could open up the cosmos to exploration.
Credit: NASA/Glenn Research Center

But NASA is downplaying the research and its potential to deliver a huge propulsion breakthrough in the near future.

"While conceptual research into novel propulsion methods by a team at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston has created headlines, this is a small effort that has not yet shown any tangible results," NASA officials told Space.com in a statement. "NASA is not working on 'warp drive' technology."

Not much information

The novel space engine design would seem to produce more energy than is put into it, violating the law of conservation of energy, which (simply put) says that energy cannot be destroyed or created.

"The reason it's controversial is, it violates Newton's Third Law," Brian Koberlein, an astrophysicist who studies general relativity and computational astrophysics, told Space.com.

It's possible that electromagnetic leaks in the chamber or coupling with Earth's magnetic field are responsible for the supposedly impossible result, said Koberlein, who is based at the Rochester Institute of Technology. But the recent test in the vacuum chamber, if it is indeed valid, does rule out another prosaic explanation — that the engine was pushing against Earth's atmosphere in some way, he added. 

Outside scientists are understandably eager to know just what the JSC Eagleworks team has managed to achieve, and how they did it. But observers can't perform such an evaluation at the moment, because the work hasn't been submitted for peer review, said Koberlein.

http://www.space.com/29363-impossible-em-drive-space-engine-nasa.html

Time to take NASA and flush em down the toilet :P

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
NASA has trialled an engine that would take us to Mars in 10 weeks
And may have inadvertently created a warp drive in the process.
FIONA MACDONALD 1 MAY 2015

Star Trek spacecraft. Credit: Paramount Pictures

NASA scientists have reported that they've successfully tested an engine called the electromagnetic propulsion drive, or the EM Drive, in a vacuum that replicates space. The EM Drive experimental system could take humans to Mars in just 70 days without the need for rocket fuel, and it's no exaggeration to say that this could change everything.

But before we get too excited (who are we kidding, we're already freaking out), it's important to note that these results haven't been replicated or verified by peer review, so there's a chance there's been some kind of error. But so far, despite a thorough attempt to poke holes in the results, the engine seems to hold up.

http://www.sciencealert.com/nasa-has-trialled-an-engine-that-would-take-us-to-Mars-in-10-weeks

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
From what I have seen, that's not a warp drive, so when NASA says they are not testing a warp drive they are right.

They call what they are testing a "microwave-driven resonant cavity thrusters" that may be acting as a "quantum vacuum plasma thruster", or at least that's what I understood of this PDF.

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
I agree with you Funbox that the Object does look like some sort of copper or brass / bronze alloy prior the 1900s...

Some parts of it reminds me of some from the older version of  "Time Machine Movie " or something similar..

Not a Modern type of Warp Drive Engine.

Thanks "Z" for adding your further content..

Need to try to look at ArMaPs info / link...that looks a interesting find....but looks very complex to try to understand..

is it me or does it have the look of  something born from the eighteenth century ? :D
or something to cook up an alcoholic broth in

good luck with it, however it looks

copper alloy look? :D

funbox
« Last Edit: November 09, 2015, 03:26:04 pm by astr0144 »

Offline Sinny

• Gold 305
  • Think In, Out and Around The Box.
"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society"- JFK

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
lots of embeds in the article

http://www.trendintech.com/2017/01/23/a-new-space-race-kicks-off-between-the-us-and-china-thanks-to-emdrive/

A New Space Race Kicks Off Between the US and China Thanks to EmDrive
By Oscar Allendorf - January 23, 2017

The EmDrive is a controversial space propulsion engine technology that is supposed to be able to function without any form of rocket fuel and get astronomers into space much quicker than anything ever has before. But, for obvious reasons, it has received much criticism and scepticism along the way. However, China has just announced that they’re busy carrying out tests using the EmDrive, so it appears not everyone is against the idea.

After funding researchers for five years, testing is finally being carried out aboard China’s Tiangong-2 space station. The way in which the spacecraft works is by releasing microwaves into a cone-shaped engine that allows it to thrust forwards like a propulsion system. The man responsible for the acceleration of the EmDrive technology is Roger Shawyer, when in 1999 he claimed that the EmDrive technology would allow astronomers to reach Mars in just 70 days, opposed to the three or fours months it would normally take.

But, China isn’t the only one looking to use the EmDrive. In November 2016, NASA’s Eagleworks Laboratory team submitted the research paperwork for the EmDrive spacecraft. Some of the data that NASA’s paperwork revealed included that a frequency resonant cavity thrusters had been created by Eagleworks Laboratories, the thruster had the ability to produce 1.2 millinewtons per kilowatt of thrust inside a vacuum, and that NASA used electricity to manufacture and bounce microwaves in a nearby copper cone.

Although there’s still a way to go before the EmDrive is recognized as a reputable source of technology, it is showing promise. Have the Chinese spotted this and that’s what’s spurred them on to get involved in this so called space race? Probably. But, surely NASA won’t let someone else beat them to the finish line with the EmDrive will they? I doubt it. What will happen now is that testing of the EmDrive by NASA will be accelerated to ensure they are the first to report any good news in this area. But, until that happens, it’s a fair fight, and one that we’ll all just have to sit back and watch to see how it pans out.

Leaked NASA paper shows the 'impossible' EM Drive really does work ...
www.sciencealert.com/leaked-nasa-paper-shows-the-impossible-em-drive-really-does-...

Nov 7, 2016 - The results of NASA's tests on the 'impossible' EM Drive have been leaked, and they reveal that the controversial propulsion system really does ...
It's official: NASA's peer-reviewed EM Drive paper has finally been ...
www.sciencealert.com/it-s-official-nasa-s-peer-reviewed-em-drive-paper-has-finally-b...

Nov 19, 2016 - Yet in test after test it continues to work. Last year, NASA's Eagleworks Laboratory team got their hands on an EM Drive to try to figure out once ...

China claims it's already started testing an EM Drive in space ...
www.sciencealert.com/china-is-claiming-it-s-already-started-testing-an-em-drive-in-sp...
Dec 22, 2016 - The whole world got excited last month when NASA published the first peer-reviewed paper on the 'impossible' electromagnetic, or EM, Drive, ...

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017, 04:45:56 pm by space otter »

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
Already have threads here and here on the Em Drive

Seeker
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 07:48:48 pm by The Seeker »
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline space otter

• Gold 691

yikes .. guess i better brush up on my searching skills..sorry

toss or merge if they're worth anything

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
yikes .. guess i better brush up on my searching skills..sorry

toss or merge if they're worth anything
Merged with the original thread from 2015  8)

the new search button works well- just use " " around your search terms  :P

and yes the search button is now in line with the forum buttons instead of a separate box

8)

Seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline biggles

• Gold 47
We all know I'm not tech minded, but why in hell would they want to start fiddling with warp drives.

Or do they have a version of the Enterprise already there.

I thought they had a jump room to Mars anyway.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 06:06:15 pm by biggles »
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
I thought they had a jump room to Mars anyway.

So glad you mentioned that.

Third whistle blower confirms Obama’s participation in CIA jump room program
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline biggles

• Gold 47
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter