collapse

Author Topic: Star Trek Discovery - Sept 24 2017  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
Star Trek Discovery - Sept 24 2017
« on: June 23, 2017, 07:51:32 am »
I could say how excited I am to spend a little time each week in a world with spaceships and exotic technology, but I think all that need's saying is:

New Star Trek airing on CBS in USA and Canada, everyone else on the blue marble can view it on Netflix at the same time as USA and Canada.  Heck yeah! 

I do have to say that I'm excited to see Michelle Yeoh playing a role as a Starfleet Captain as she is such a good actor... Michelle for those that don't was a main character in Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon

Before Kirk, Spock and the Enterprise there was Discovery

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
Re: Star Trek Discovery - Sept 24 2017
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2017, 08:11:24 am »
Made my comments on the FB page, but it was something like this.
The story is before Kirk and Spock, but the technology is far beyond that of the Next Generation.
Enterprise was a nice turn as the first Warp ship and they were learning new tech as they went. So how are they traveling at light speed?...hhhmmm...
Just an excuse to make more money.
This is too over the top for my likes...
I really don't care about the characters that much. I'm sure we'll get a healthy dose of feminism and transgender puke but that's the way it is...
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2017, 09:16:59 am »
Having been there for the original, my reaction to shows like "Enterprise" and this newest incarnation are lukewarm.
Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.....

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2017, 09:21:15 am »
 ;D

I know I know and do agree with you Rocky ;)

I must say I just finished watching Enterprise and that is by far my favourite Star Trek.  I thought it would be so bad, but what I found out is that Star Trek is told better when CG can make what Roddenberry thought of seamless. Weird huh how we get disgruntled over our fave show's..I do it and we all do it. 

I will go into this with an open mind as I did with Eneterprise.

As for my liking of Michelle being a Captain, man she has been a kick arse Honky Kung Fu actor doing her own stunt's prior to CG whilst acting Character's that are worthy of a Starfleet Captain :D

I will give it a chance mate :)

You know my wife entertain's me in all walk's of who I am...but she never watch's these show's, so I  hope I can finally prove to her that it's much better to watch spaceship's, alien's and technology because at the end of the day all the scifi show's are really about are people interacting with each other.  Why watch New Yorkan's stuck in an apartment when you can be in a Spaceship with Aliens exploring the Universe for an example???  Thats what I tell her ROFL  ;D ;D ;D

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2017, 09:25:48 am »
Having been there for the original, my reaction to shows like "Enterprise" and this newest incarnation are lukewarm.

Irene I thought I would Hate Enterprise, but I went and watched it a couple of month's ago and loved it.  It has its moment's as any TV series will, but heck it was pretty good.

I am now watching DS9 in it's entirety and find it lacking, but I am still enjoying it because it take's me into that headspace :)

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 09:33:32 am »
Irene I thought I would Hate Enterprise, but I went and watched it a couple of month's ago and loved it.  It has its moment's as any TV series will, but heck it was pretty good.

I am now watching DS9 in it's entirety and find it lacking, but I am still enjoying it because it take's me into that headspace :)

Okay, Soma, I get that show with Amazon Prime. I will watch it just based on your recommendation.  :)

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 09:55:56 am »
If you like that headspace mate please do, as I've known many a trekky to say the same as I did, only to find that it's their fave!

You know it's funny as some people didn't like Voyager, but after also watching that in it's entirety recently I have to say Captain Janeway is one of my Fave's.  How she battled with herself and what seemed like a lost cause along with sexual frustration was a master stroke of script writing.  In a lot of way's I would say that Enterprise used Voyager as a template...even down to the stupid temporal time warping crud..which Captain Archer eventually sort's out in enterprise ;)

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2017, 01:10:58 pm »
Okay, Soma, I get that show with Amazon Prime. I will watch it just based on your recommendation.  :)

Enterprise was/is one of my favorites. I watched/followed it from it's first broadcast and watched it again in reruns.
I loved everything about it, from the theme song to the hot Vulcan first officer Jolene Blalock as T'Pol.
Now after talking about it here I have to go and watch it again.... ;D

DS9 was a poor man's Babylon 5. Hated it. Still do.
Same with Voyager.

I recently bought the 10 seasons Stargate SG1.. When I finish that, it's Stargate Atlantis....it's a shame they canceled Universe as it was just getting interesting....
Finally something I can talk about other than 'psychopaths' garbage.....

Rock  8)
« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 02:09:07 pm by Sgt.Rocknroll »

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2017, 01:41:08 pm »
Enterprise was/is one of my favorites. I watched/followed it from it's first broadcast and watched it again in reruns.
I loved everything about it, from the theme song to the hot Vulcan first officer Jolene Blalock as T'Pol.
Now after talking about it here I have to go and watch it again.... ;D

DS9 was a poor man's Babylon. Hated it. Still do.
Same with Voyager.

I recently bought the 10 seasons Stargate SG1.. When I finish that, it's Stargate Atlantis....it's a shame they canceled Universe as it was just getting interesting....
Finally something I can talk about other than 'psychopaths' garbage.....

Rock  8)

I liked "Voyager" because of the Borg storyline and, I admit, I was already of an age to be insanely jealous of Jeri Ryan's body. I had to work incredibly hard to maintain my shape and every time I saw her I got depressed!

"DS 9" was okay. I enjoyed the Ferengi, although the ear thing made me ill.

Frakes couldn't act, but he was nice to look at and I really enjoyed Patrick Stewart's ability. Also, I almost cried when I realized they'd rescued Jerry Goldsmith's soundtrack from "ST: TMP".

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 11:44:08 am »
I only kept Netflix here in Oz at the beginning because it had Stargate Atlantis and I had not seen it.  I was weary of it, but heck that is a sci-fi show!

One thing I think the team behind Stargate did a lot better than Star Trek was to interlink story's throughout the series. 

One thing about DS9 that annoy's me is Commander Sisko's character... I like a Captain/Commander that can get their hand's dirty and clean the Plasma Injector's or come up with an emergency engineering solution..so far whilst watching DS9 I've seen zilch of that in Sisko's character. Janeway and Archer had bucketload's of saving the ship in their characters LOL

I have to agree Irene that one of my fave aspect's of DS9 is the Big Eared Species. It doesn't take much to wonder where the rule's of acquisition came from LOL

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 12:52:30 pm »
I preferred Trek when it was either about philosophical crises, or a kind of science fiction procedural, where the characters find a weird spatial anomaly, which gives them a problem that they have to solve.  I'm not particularly interested in violence, and I also don't want to see them destroying existing continuity purely for the sake of making money.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2017, 09:58:04 am »
Funny you mention that,

I was quite annoyed at times during Voyager when they would veer off course for no reason other than curiosity.  :D

That is why I watch such program's though, to broaden my thought process in the event that we may just explore further one day.  I kindly disagree though on Trek not being about philosophical crisis as to me the show is about that ;)

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2017, 11:17:10 am »
I kindly disagree though on Trek not being about philosophical crisis as to me the show is about that ;)

No, I said that it was...or I meant to say that.  I've seen a lot of TNG.  That was almost always about philosophical debate.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2017, 04:40:06 pm »
When I was stationed overseas on Okinawa, the AFN,Armed Forces Network, run my the military had a limited nightly line up of shows....
The main show in 'prime' time was General Hospital and the original Star Trek....I watched every episode, mainly because that's what was on...lol
(yeah I watch GH too..) ::)
So I have a special place in my heart for that show.... 8)

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2017, 10:06:43 am »
No, I said that it was...or I meant to say that.  I've seen a lot of TNG.  That was almost always about philosophical debate.

Hey no prob's, it's just as likely i got my wires crossed ;)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter