collapse

Author Topic: Hawaii Becomes the First State to Pass a Bill in Support of Universal Basic Inco  (Read 4843 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Hawaii Becomes the First State to Pass a Bill in Support of Universal Basic Income

Here you go Amy... hitch a ride to HAWAII...

This month has shown that Hawaii may be the U.S.’s most forward-thinking state. Earlier in June, it became the first state to formally accept the provisions of the Paris Climate Accord, and now, the state congress has passed a bill that puts Hawaii on the path to universal basic income.
EYES ON THE FUTURE

Innovation and forward-thinking may be Hawaii’s two biggest exports in 2017. Earlier this month, the state earned the distinction of being the first in the U.S. to formally accept the provisions of the Paris Climate Agreement after President Donald Trump decided to withdraw the nation from it, and now, Hawaii is taking the lead in embracing yet another innovative idea: universal basic income (UBI).

Today, Hawaii state representative Chris Lee wrote a Reddit post about House Concurrent Resolution 89, a bill he says he introduced in order to “start a conversation about our future.” According to Lee, “After much work and with the help of a few key colleagues, it passed both houses of the State Legislature unanimously.”

Lee also mentioned the development via Twitter:

https://twitter.com/chrisleeforhi/status/875350550451113984?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Ftheearthtribe.net%2Fhawaii-becomes-the-first-state-to-pass-a-bill-in-support-of-universal-basic-income%2F

http://theearthtribe.net/hawaii-becomes-the-first-state-to-pass-a-bill-in-support-of-universal-basic-income/

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
I am not impressed.  It just makes Us all the more dependent on the corporation Most call "government," but which I translate from Latin and call controlmind.  Far better would be to release free energy so We don't account for Human energy at all.

"If You have to account for Your energy to anOther to survive, You are NOT free; You are a slave."
« Last Edit: June 21, 2017, 05:27:21 am by Amaterasu »
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
... which I translate from Latin and call controlmind ...
How did you reached that "translation"?

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
How did you reached that "translation"?

To govern = to control.  "Ment" is derived from Latin meaning "mind."
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
To govern = to control.  "Ment" is derived from Latin meaning "mind."
First of all, "government" is not a Latin word, so "translating it from Latin" means nothing.

Decomposing the word into its two parts may appear to mean "control"+"mind", but look at other words with the suffix "ment", like "enhancement" or "bombardment". The suffix "ment" is used, on those words, as meaning "action of", so we get "enhance" + "ment" = "action of enhance" or "govern" + "ment" = "action of govern". Other words ending in "ment" have a different origin but the same suffix.

In Portuguese we don't have that problem, as the words that are made with the Lating suffix "ment" resulted in their Portuguese versions ending in "mente", like "nomeadamente" (namely) or "subitamente" (suddenly). As you can see, those words in English end in "ly".
The Portuguese words that end in "mento" come from the Latin suffix "mentum", like "bombardeamento" (bombardment), and that suffix is the one used in "government", that, in Portuguese would be "governamento", but we don't have that word, we only use "governo".

French is in the same situation as English (or vice-versa, as the English words are more recent than the French words from where they came), with the Latin suffixes "ment" and "mentum" giving origin only to one French suffix, "ment", for words like "gouvernement" (government) or "vraiment" (truly).

Offline space otter

• Gold 691

i only wish i could send you more than just one gold ArMaP..
great explanation and in a language not your native tongue

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770

great explanation and in a language not your native tongue
Thanks. :)

Although not my language, most suffixes and prefixes are the same (or close to the same), as they come either from Latin or Greek. As Portuguese has many words that come directly from Latin it's easy to understand it for someone that speaks Portuguese. :)

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
    • T.A.P. - You're It
First of all, "government" is not a Latin word, so "translating it from Latin" means nothing.

Decomposing the word into its two parts may appear to mean "control"+"mind", but look at other words with the suffix "ment", like "enhancement" or "bombardment". The suffix "ment" is used, on those words, as meaning "action of", so we get "enhance" + "ment" = "action of enhance" or "govern" + "ment" = "action of govern". Other words ending in "ment" have a different origin but the same suffix.

In Portuguese we don't have that problem, as the words that are made with the Lating suffix "ment" resulted in their Portuguese versions ending in "mente", like "nomeadamente" (namely) or "subitamente" (suddenly). As you can see, those words in English end in "ly".
The Portuguese words that end in "mento" come from the Latin suffix "mentum", like "bombardeamento" (bombardment), and that suffix is the one used in "government", that, in Portuguese would be "governamento", but we don't have that word, we only use "governo".

French is in the same situation as English (or vice-versa, as the English words are more recent than the French words from where they came), with the Latin suffixes "ment" and "mentum" giving origin only to one French suffix, "ment", for words like "gouvernement" (government) or "vraiment" (truly).

Fair enough, ArMaP.  I stand corrected.  Though I had been lead to think that the "ment" was derived from "mentis."  Be that as it may, the argument (LOL!) could be made that the present corporation is indeed seeking to control Our minds, and therefore, "controlmind" is an apt English-based summary term.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Be that as it may, the argument (LOL!) could be made that the present corporation is indeed seeking to control Our minds, and therefore, "controlmind" is an apt English-based summary term.
It is. :)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
I am not impressed.  It just makes Us all the more dependent on the corporation Most call "government,"

Seriously? LOL  The government finally agrees that people have a right to a wage so they can live decently and it is because those ROBOTS you want to see taking over so badly have taken their jobs... and YOU all high and mighty are not impressed at this first step?

Wow talk about a HIPPOTWIT (as Tweety would say :P)

How does getting free money, enough to live on, without having to work for it, count as "government control"

You have been spamming the Knowne Worlde with your TAP program that basically says robots should do the work while people get basic needs for free...  Well that is what this program is  and its a first step.

I bet your just pissed off you don't have a ticket to Hawaii 

8)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903

I will give him the gold for you :D How much were you thinking?
 ;D

But on this picture....  the guy is buried in gold but that look of worry on his face tells me that the DRAGON is looking at him messing with his hoard

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.....

Offline micjer

• Gold 100
The only people in the world, it seems, who believe in conspiracy theory, are those of us that have studied it.    Pat Shannon

Offline space otter

• Gold 691

I will give him the gold for you :D How much were you thinking?
 ;D

well we don't want to spoil him or catch the eye of that greedy dragon..who has his own pile btw   so maybe 25 or so...how's that?

and the dragon has his own pile

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
Otter, that is a hydra, not a dragon  8) and the dragons here will share when asked nicely...

:P
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]