collapse

Author Topic: brown recluse spiders on the move  (Read 4959 times)

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
brown recluse spiders on the move
« on: April 28, 2017, 07:04:46 am »

O M G
you can imagine my shock when i saw this article and realized  that the spider i came across the other day was a brown recluse...
i don't kill spiders as a gardener in long standing i know they are mostly benifical
so the other day when i was dumping the rain out of the rain guage and under the
cylinder i see a brown spider with a flat abdomen i wasn't scared.. i just tapped beside it and told it to find another place to sit...i emptied the rain and told hubby i had just seen a spider i had never come across before...
and this morning  what do i see but this pic and an article that makes me go OMG

global warming at work (regardless of it's cause)

WARNING  pic of spider at bottom of article.. i left plenty of space so if spider pics give you the weellies you can still read the article without seeing it

http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/dangerous-brown-recluse-spiders-found-in-unexpected-place/ar-BBAsmIe?li=BBnb7Kz

Dangerous brown recluse spiders found in unexpected place 25 / 29
 CBS News CBS News
Jennifer Earl
13 hrs ago

A family in Michigan is scratching their heads after discovering unusual tenants inside their garage last week.

On the floor of their unheated, detached garage in Davison, they spotted two long-legged spiders, which turned out to be brown recluse spiders -- a dangerous type of spider with a powerful bite. Most bites are minor, but occasionally, skin around a brown recluse bite will become necrotic, turning a dark color and becoming a deep, open sore as it dies.

The family has no idea where the spiders with 3- to 5-inch-long legs came from or how they made their way into their garage.

Howard Russell, an entomologist at Michigan State University Diagnostic Services, confirmed the spiders were, in fact, brown recluses.

"I've been doing this for 30 years," Russell told CBS News. "I've had eight brown recluse out of thousands of spiders submitted, so they're rare."

Russell explained that brown recluse spiders are usually found in more southern states with warmer climates, such as Tennessee, Arkansas, Missouri or Kentucky.

"That seems to be the heart of where they're found," Russell said.

© Provided by CBS Interactive Inc. screen-shot-2017-04-27-at-5-36-52-pm.png
So it was surprising to stumble across the dangerous brown recluse in such a cool climate.

"The spiders had survived the winter in that unheated garage," Russell added. "There was no recent history of travel, in some other cases there were."

In 2011, there were three isolated populations of the brown recluse reported in Lansing, Hillsdale and Flint. Since then, three additional populations of the brown recluse have been confirmed in Michigan. These new finds were located in Tecumseh in 2015, Ann Arbor in 2016 and now Davison in 2017.

"The Tecumseh population was sharing a home with a human family of five including three young children and two dogs. The homeowner believes the spiders arrived with new kitchen cabinets the previous owner had installed before the family purchased it," according to a recent Michigan State University Extension report. "The Ann Arbor specimen came from a building on the University of Michigan campus."

Now Russell is trying to figure out where these creatures came from.

"The interesting question research-wise here: Do these represent sort of a transported population or does this represent the leading edge of a spread of these things to the Midwest?" he asked.

While it may be a frightening finding, Russell wants to assure residents there are deadlier species.

"We have Northern Widows up here, too, which are probably as dangerous or more dangerous than recluse spiders," Russell said. "A lot more people get sick by bee or wasp stings."

If you spot a spider that resembles the brown recluse, call an expert, Russell advises.

"Have it confirmed by somebody who actually knows spiders -- and possibly confirmed by somebody who doesn't have business interest in the result of that determination," he adds.

Offline Robert

• Regular Members
  • Gold 2
  • VACATED
Re: brown recluse spiders on the move
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 07:16:42 am »

while I've heard plenty of the brown recluse I didn't know thats what they looked like, thats what I don't like about this story, I recognize having seen many of those over the years and always dismissed them as just a spider

thanks for posting

creepy things
A person who is keen to see an ALIEN should start practicing altruistic service towards others and soon, most people will make him feel and realize that he is.
A person who is keen to see a TROLL will only see a TROLL

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 09:07:53 am »

Hi there Robert..nice to see a new voice..welcome

so there i am  back out in my newer little garden earlier.. in the fog.. you can really see the webs in the fog..i like both.. the fog and the beauty of the webs
BUT
i  look where i had stuck some rhubarb  (to plant later) and there is a web like i have never seen..sigh..must be a time for spider type firsts
the web is a dome with lots of webs below...honestly i have never seen a dome.. a lot of funnel types but no dome..
yep ran for the camera and got a couple of shots..
if i can figure out the picture thing i will post later

armap tried to help but i think i took to long to sign in..
lots of garden stuff for today so it will be later IF it gets done

gotta tell you that the joy of sticking my hands into the dirt is a bit off center today.. :'(

Offline Robert

• Regular Members
  • Gold 2
  • VACATED
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 12:24:26 pm »

..i like both..

I like fog and rhubarb but your on your own with spider webs

fog acts as AC on a MC and I enjoyed some this morning

rhubarb acts as yum, now I want some

but spiderwebs easily get walked through and we get banana spiders that make 30# test webs
while they are as big as your hand their babies are as small as sand, hatch by the thousands
and will make you squirm

A person who is keen to see an ALIEN should start practicing altruistic service towards others and soon, most people will make him feel and realize that he is.
A person who is keen to see a TROLL will only see a TROLL

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2017, 02:33:58 pm »
We found a brown recluse in our basement some years ago.  It git squished.  I don't mind the average household spiders, but something that could kill my cats, or seriously injured me, doesn't get to stay.

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2017, 02:43:22 pm »
We found a brown recluse in our basement some years ago.  It git squished.  I don't mind the average household spiders, but something that could kill my cats, or seriously injured me, doesn't get to stay.

Shasta

That right there. Harm a hair on my fuzzball and you're dead.

:P ;D
Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.....

Offline biggles

• Gold 47
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2017, 04:39:29 pm »
That right there. Harm a hair on my fuzzball and you're dead.

:P ;D

A big yes to that.
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017, 07:22:09 pm »
Let's go back to the pic of the brown recluse; if you examine it, you will notice what appears to be a drawing of a fiddle on its abdomen;

here in the deep south they are more commonly referred to as a fiddleback spider, are commonly found lurking in your cabinets,garage, basement, and will do serious damage if they bite you  8)

I know, been there, done that 32 years ago.

Seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2017, 07:31:34 pm »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2017, 07:33:22 pm »
YIKES

:o

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2017, 07:51:02 pm »
They are nothing to play with, for the area around the bite will rot out just like that finger

Had a hole in my right calf as big as a golf ball

8)

Seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2017, 06:55:11 am »
They are nothing to play with, for the area around the bite will rot out just like that finger

Had a hole in my right calf as big as a golf ball

8)

Seeker

That is grotesque. Hard to believe a little spider could do that kind of damage.

:o

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2017, 12:52:48 pm »

this isn't my photo but  i looked up dome shaped spider webs and found a pic of exactly what i had seen

http://bugguide.net/node/view/426348/bgimage

http://knowledgebase.lookseek.com/Dome-Web-Spider-Cyrtophora-moluccensis.html

Title :Dome Web Spider
Category: Arachnida Spider

yikes hit post instead of preview..sorry

Facts about Dome Web Spider, "Scientific name for Dome Web Spider Cyrtophora moluccensis". The Dome Web Spider builds a Dome shape molded web that resembles an extensive altered saucer with tangles of webs underneath and above. The Dome Web Spider sits over the Dome. The Dome may be 20 inches (50 cm) in width. The group of the Dome Web Spider is dark and white with corroded red stripes down the back. The head is light black and the legs are ash with dark groups.

The average size of the Dome Web Spider is 1 inch (2.5 cm). Dome Web Spiders assemble their webs between the limbs of low trees and bushes

Nibbles from this arachnid may be terrible in light of the fact that the teeth are long, however the Dome Web Spider has no destructive manifestations. The Dome Web Spider are not forceful.

The Dome Web Spider webs are bottomless in rock outcroppings, dividers, heaps of wood and low, thick brush in forests. They are seldom found in open territories.

Little predators consume small prey. The Dome Web Spider consumes little creepy crawlies, for example, mosquitoes and nats, that get got in their webs. The web is situated evenly, and the arachnid rests on its underside. At the point when a creepy crawly arrives on the web, the Dome Web Spider rapidly tears an opening in the web from underneath and pulls the bug down and ties it up. Stowing away under the web helps the insect to evade predation.

Dome Web Spider assumed statewide in Missouri forests and forest edges. Usually found in thick, low vegetation around houses.

Life cycle of Dome Web Spider

When in doubt, Dome Web Spider in our general vicinity hatch from eggs in spring and use the developing season consuming, developing, mating and laying eggs. Females are fit for making webs; Male Dome Web Spider are most certainly not. Female Dome Web Spider keep making egg cases as long as the climate waits. As temperatures cool in fall, their digestion system abates, and they by and large kick the bucket when it solidifies. Egg cases overwinter, and Dome Web spiderlings bring forth in spring.

Dome Web Spiders have oversize brains.
In the Dome Web Spider the oxygen is bound to "hemocyanin" a copper-based protein that turns their blood blue, a molecule that contains copper rather than iron. Iron-based hemoglobin in red blood cells turns the blood red

Dome Web Spiders have two body parts, the front part of the body is called the Cephalothorax-(the thorax and fused head of spiders). Also on this part of the body is the Dome Web Spider’s gland that makes the poison and the stomach, fangs, mouth, legs, eyes and brain. Dome Web Spiders also have these tiny little leg-type things called (pedipalps) that are next to the fangs. They are used to hold food while the spider bites it. The next part of the Dome Web Spiders body is the abdomen and the abdomens back end is where there is the spinnerets and where the silk producing glands are located.

Human associations with Dome Web Spider

It would be not difficult to release the significance of these minor predators, yet once you have been tormented by the Dome Web Spider they go after, for example, nats and mosquitoes, you get appreciative for their part in restricting such creepy crawlies.

A Dome Web Spiders stomach can only take liquids, so a spider needs to liquefy their food before they eat. They bite on their prey and empty its stomach liquids into the pray which turns it into a soup for them to drink.

A male Dome Web Spider has two appendages called "pedipalps" a sensory organ, instead of a penis, which is filled with sperm and insert by the male into the female Dome Web Spider’s reproductive opening.

Biological system associations of Dome Web Spider

Dome Web Spider are little predators that assistance to control populaces of the creepy crawlies they catch. Being little themselves, they effortlessly fall prey to bigger predators, for example, flying creatures, reptiles and warm blooded animals. Numerous creatures consume their eggs. Hummingbirds take webs from Dome Web Spider keeping in mind the end goal to assemble their homes.

Spiders belong to a group of animals called "arachnids", mites and Scorpions and a tick is also in the arachnid family. An Arachnids is a creature with eight legs, two body parts, no antennae or wings and are not able to chew on food. Spiders are not insects because insects have three main body parts and six legs and most insects have wings.

The Arachnids are even in a larger group of animals called "arthropods" an invertebrate animal of the large phylum Arthropoda, which also include spiders, crustaceans and insects. They are the largest group in the animal world, about 80% of all animals come from this group. There are over a million different species. There are more than 40,000 different types of spiders in the world.

The muscles in a Dome Web Spiders legs pull them inward, but the spider can't extend its legs outward. It will pump a watery liquid into its legs that pushes them out. A Dome Web Spider’s legs and body are covered with lots of hair and these hairs are water-repellent, which trap a thin layer of air around the body so the spiders body doesn't get wet. It allows them to float, this is how some spiders can survive under water for hours. A Dome Web Spider feels its prey with chemo sensitive hairs on its legs and than feels if the prey is edible. The leg hair picks up smells and vibrations from the air. There are at minimum, two small claws that are at the end of the legs. Each Dome Web Spiders leg has six joints, giving the spider 48 leg joints. The Dome Web Spider’s body has oil on it, so the spider doesn't stick to it’s own web.

Dome Web Spiders do not have a skeletons. They have a hard outer shell called an exoskeleton-(a rigid external covering for the body in some invertebrate animals). The exoskeleton is hard, so it can’t grow with the spider. The young Dome Web Spiders need to shed their exoskeleton. The Dome Web Spider has to climb out of the old shell through the cephalothorax. Once out, they must spread themselves out before the new exoskeleton will harden. Know they have some room to grow. They stop growing once they fill this shell. Female Dome Web Spiders are usually bigger than males.
Female Dome Web Spiders lay eggs on a bed of silk, which she creates right after mating. Once the female Dome Web Spider lays her eggs, she will than cover them with more silk.

Search the Web for More information on Dome Web Spider at LookSeek.com Search
« Last Edit: April 29, 2017, 12:54:48 pm by space otter »

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2017, 06:14:14 pm »

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter