collapse

Author Topic: Fukushima Affect on Northern Hemisphere and US West Coast  (Read 19834 times)

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
  • A fantastic journey begins with curiosity
Re: Fukushima Affect on Northern Hemisphere and US West Coast
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 09:00:46 pm »
I got 452.211. No wonder I am starting to glow and Fuku is going the other way. Pretty soon I won't need lights in the house.  8)  Deuem

Just call us the rad guys  ;D ;D
From the past into the future any way I can...Educating...informing....guiding.

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #16 on: January 06, 2014, 11:45:27 pm »
Is radiation hurting the sea life on the West Coast.  This guy says NO.

Is the sea floor littered with dead animals due to radiation? No.

Posted on January 4, 2014  by  Dr. M    Deep Sea News

"The Pacific Ocean appears to be dying, according to a new study recently published in the journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences. Scientists from the Monterey Bay Aquarium Research Institute (MBARI) in California recently discovered that the number of dead sea creatures blanketing the floor of the Pacific is higher than it has ever been in the 24 years that monitoring has taken place, a phenomenon that the data suggests is a direct consequence of nuclear fallout from Fukushima."

"The reason I am unfamiliar with a study providing evidence of  “Dead sea creatures cover 98 percent of ocean floor off California coast; up from 1 percent before Fukushima” is because no such study exists.  Here are the details of the actual study."  Dr. M

See entire article:

http://deepseanews.com/2014/01/is-the-sea-floor-littered-with-dead-animals-due-to-radiation-no/

In the interest of presenting both sides I found this article.

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2014, 07:41:48 am »
Aj devoted half his show to fuku and plans to make it a main subject now that the debris has landed.
My worry is these radiation readings will continue to rise as the years go by due to no stoppage of the fuku water.as the conveyor of radioactive sea water continues to expose the beach.the radiation readings should continue to rise.i dont know the half life of silica but i bet it aint good.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2014, 07:47:14 am »
170 years for silica.thats along time to stay off the beach.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2014, 12:53:29 pm »
It's hard to determine who is right.  One of the things I have found is that you can find an expert for any side of a situation.  However, radiation readings don't lie.  Radiation in any form is destructive in some way no matter if its small or big.  The destruction can be small which is not seen or large where you can see.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2014, 01:05:35 pm »
Another factor is human tolereance

In the case of Chernobyl there are some Russians that were there day one and they go back in repeatedly to monitor levels. I had that in the doco I posted. They don't even wear radiation suits and just a thing breathing mask

That is why the danger is brushed off by most. It is LONG TERM to see any effects

Don't forget that the ground out here in Nevada near the test site is saturated with Plutonium from over 900 tests. Its only a few miles from Vegas

Back in Canada in the Bancroft region there are many deformities  a very high rate per capita. That is because the whole area is laced with radioactive outcrops and small bits are in most of the granite pegmatites.

But even so, life goes on and not all babies are deformed.

So in a way it may be natural selection. And the radiactivity in that region is NATURAL from the very elements we make our nuclear fuel out of

There was one spring on a uranium prospect...  nice clear cold water. I saw rock hounds  :o drinking from it   :o  Mentioned to a few that "You DO realize that this spring is on a uranium property right?"

LOL the gov has since capped it and put up warning signs

I have several boxes of very hot specimens in the garage

Wanna buy some?

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #21 on: January 07, 2014, 02:18:54 pm »
Thank you Zorgon for the input.  Different areas have different reading due to their geological make up.  Human tolerance was something I failed to mention and I had not considered.  In the end I guess through human nature we all decide what and how much we are going to tolerate.  We may choose to take everything that is handed to us or choose to resist.  Gold to you for this very important aspect.

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2014, 12:05:13 am »
Should I Take Radiation Protection Pills?  From Fairewinds

Every day Fairewinds Energy Education receives many questions. The big question in the New Year is: “Should I take a ‘radiation pill’ to combat the radiation being given off by the triple meltdown at Fukushima Daiichi?”
First, lets start by defining a radiation protection pill is and what it does. A radiation protection pill is usually called potassium iodide because it consists of potassium iodide KI which is the scientific notation for this molecule consisting of the elements potassium (K) and iodine (I). Unfortunately, potassium iodide only protects against one type of radiation, radioactive iodine. It does not protect against the hundreds of other radioactive isotopes released in nuclear meltdowns.

http://fairewinds.org/demystifying/take-radiation-protection-pills

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2014, 12:45:29 pm »
Professor’s Diary: Fukushima radioactive material “has reached the west coast as of June 2013 by ocean transport” — Health risks to be determined by ongoing monitoring

An article from enews on Professor Jay Cullen from University of Victoria.  He is a professor of marine chemistry.  January 4 2014.

Fukushima derived Cs has reached the west coast as of June 2013 by ocean transport but [the] concentrations of Cs continue to be well below levels thought to pose environmental or public health threats. There have been a number of popular press articles that [...] report the timing of the arrival of the radionuclides but offer no perspective on the actual levels and the associated risk to residents of the west coast (e.g. link). [...] About 93% of radioactivity in seawater results from the presence of primordial, naturally occurring potassium-40 (K-40) and rubidium-87 (Rb-87). The remaining 7% are radioactive elements deposited to the ocean from past atmospheric nuclear testing. [...] Fukushima derived Cs was detected all the way to the coast in June 2013 with the highest levels of Cs-137 farthest offshore (0.0009 Bq/L or roughly 0.006% of background radiation) and lower levels of 0.0003 Bq/L toward the coast [...] Ongoing monitoring will constrain the likely environmental and health risks posed by ocean transport of Fukushima derived radionuclides.

Note the professor changed the units to Bq/L for Cs-134 and -137, instead of using Bq/m3 as in the source document (pdf). The above amounts must be multiplied by 1,000 to get Bq/m3.

In addition, the figures provided by the professor appear to be inaccurate:

According to the source document, it’s Cs-134, not Cs-137, that measured 0.9 Bq/m3 (or 0.0009 Bq/L if you modify the units like the professor).
The professor writes that in June 2013 there were “lower levels of 0.0003 Bq/L toward the coast” — This amount is not in the  measurements for 2013, the only mention of it was in 2012: “Levels of 137Cs equal to 0.3 Bq/m3 measured at Sta. P26 in 2012.”
Last month in a Vancouver-area newspaper Prof. Cullen wrote: “the natural level of radioactivity on average in the oceans is about 13 Bq/L, against which radioactivity resulting from human activities and disasters should always be discussed.” What is the basis of this claim that “natural radioactivity levels should always be discussed” when “radioactivity resulting from human activities” is mentioned?

“In the ocean (and human body) different radionuclides have different fate and toxicity,” according to Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution’s senior scientist Ken Buesseler (who mentions his ability to be quoted in media reports downplaying Fukushima-related data).

Also be aware that fish can bio-concentrate cesium-137 at a rate of 100 times the level found in the surrounding water. For seals and sea lions it’s up to 1,000 times. (Source: IAEA)

This article copied in its' entirety from enews.

http://enenews.com/professor-fukushima-radioactive-material-reached-the-west-coast-as-of-june-2013-by-ocean-transport-health-risks-to-be-determined-by-ongoing-monitoring

I can only say this at this point.  No matter what the level of radiation, it is destructive.  We can do nothing about natural radiation.  We can do nothing against cosmic radiation.  We as a society can pressure the nuclear industry to crack down on maintaining the nuclear plants now operating.  The genie was let out of the bottle in the early years of the atom and it will be hard trying to stuff the genie back in the bottle.  The plants are already built and we need to bring pressure to bear on those who regulate the plants.  This will only happen if we ban together.  The largest influence are people themselves.  Zorgon himself brought up the fact of "human tolerance."  How much will human beings tolerate?  How much will human beings care?  Will human beings just sit and write about the problems and not get involved?  Our fate is in our hands.  What will we do as a species?

« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 12:57:34 pm by spacemaverick »

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #24 on: January 11, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »
California Official: Information on risk from Fukushima needs to be made public — State in contact with NRC — CBS: ‘Health Scare Over Possible Fukushima Radiation In Pacific-Caught Fish’

http://enenews.com/california-official-information-on-risk-from-fukushima-needs-to-be-made-public-state-in-contact-with-nrc-cbs-health-scare-over-possible-fukushima-radiation-in-pacific-caught-fish-surfer

Taken from enews site

http://enenews.com/california-official-information-on-risk-from-fukushima-needs-to-be-made-public-state-in-contact-with-nrc-cbs-health-scare-over-possible-fukushima-radiation-in-pacific-caught-fish-surfer

This is what he said on his site:

http://www.asmdc.org/members/a25/press/wieckowski-urges-state-to-post-information-on-fukushima-disaster-s-risk-to-california-beaches

Wieckowski Urges State To Post Information On Fukushima Disaster’s Risk To California Beaches

SACRAMENTO - Saying that Californians are concerned and seeking information about potential health risks caused by contaminated water coming to the state from the Fukushima nuclear power plant disaster, Assemblymember Bob Wieckowski (D-Fremont) is urging the state’s Department of Public Health to post updated information on the issue to its homepage.

“With newspaper reports, on-line videos and a number of stories about the possible radiation dangers to our beaches, residents are concerned and seeking information from a source they can trust,” Wieckowski said.  “I think a lot of people’s questions can be answered if the department would conduct a study or post the results of other studies and monitoring that are already completed to its homepage.  The difficulty of finding accurate, current information about the science and the level of risk involved has exacerbated confusion and worry among some in the public.”

Wieckowski said the federal government has suggested Fukushima’s problems pose no risks to California’s coastal and estuarine lands.  However, online speculation about contaminated water traveling to California, and higher than normal radioactivity levels on a California beach have increased the public’s concerns.

“Tourism, fishing, agriculture and outdoor recreation are among our most important assets,” Wieckowski said.  “Millions of Californians live in communities that are directly impacted by contamination in the ocean.  That’s why I think it’s important for the state Department of Public Health to put what information it has in layman’s terms onto its homepage so the public can see it and understand what, if any, risks or concerns are out there.”

Wieckowski represents the 25th Assembly District, which includes San Jose, Santa Clara, Milpitas, Fremont and Newark.

Below from a different source;

KSBW, Jan. 10, 2014: Zero threat of Fukushima radiation at California beaches, health officials say [...] there is also no risk of Fukushima radiation hitting the Monterey Bay. John Hodges, Santa Cruz County’s environmental health director, said, “We have no indication of anything that would be unusual here on our beaches.” Santa Cruz surfer Danilo TJ Magallanes disagrees, and said he would never go surfing right now.

Half Moon Bay, CA Patch, Jan. 9, 2014: Dean Peterson, Director for Environmental Health Services for San Mateo County [...] forwarded the issue to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency and [the California] Department of Public Health to further analyze the radioactivity. “Because the level was higher, it is protocol for us to contact state and federal agencies for further investigation,” he said. CDHP has collected and will be analyzing sand samples from Half Moon Bay. [...] The agency has been in contact with the U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) and they are monitoring the situation with the nuclear reactors in Japan, said [spokeswoman Wendy Hopkins].

Awareness of the situation is now hitting local officials a little bit at a time on the West Coast.  I would say bring pressure to bear on your local officials in the city, county and state so they will bring pressure to bear nationally.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #26 on: January 11, 2014, 02:23:50 pm »
Here is the 'old news.'

Fukushima Tsunami Meltdown Debris Field ETA America Summer 2012?

Radiation, particles and debris.  What a mess!  I had forgotten about the debris.  Too bad they don't have an ocean going scoop ship to pick up the smaller debris.  I'm sure someone already has something like that.  Just have to look!

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #27 on: January 11, 2014, 04:59:31 pm »
19-Year-Old Develops Ocean Cleanup Array That Could Remove 7,250,000 Tons Of Plastic From the World's Oceans

19-year-old Boyan Slat has unveiled plans to create an Ocean Cleanup Array that could remove 7,250,000 tons of plastic waste from the world’s oceans. The device consists of an anchored network of floating booms and processing platforms that could be dispatched to garbage patches around the world. Instead of moving through the ocean, the array would span the radius of a garbage patch, acting as a giant funnel. The angle of the booms would force plastic in the direction of the platforms, where it would be separated from plankton, filtered and stored for recycling.

http://inhabitat.com/19-year-old-student-develops-ocean-cleanup-array-that-could-remove-7250000-tons-of-plastic-from-the-worlds-oceans/

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #28 on: January 11, 2014, 05:47:18 pm »
Thanks Zorgon.  I could not remember where I had seen this.  A novel idea indeed.  I had also found that the Army Corps of Engineers has a program where they can clean up almost any size debris field and even take care of sunken vessels that hinder navigation.  So I suspect they indeed have heavy lift capability.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2014, 07:21:16 pm »
US ARMY

Debris from the Japanese tsunami was found by the STS Pallada in September.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter