collapse

Author Topic: Teenage girl, 14, dies after being electrocuted in her sleep by faulty iPhone ch  (Read 4690 times)

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
Teenage girl, 14, dies after being electrocuted in her sleep by faulty iPhone charging cable.

The Cables on I Phones , and small similar type devices need to be redesigned... So many that I have become aware about are faulty or easily damaged... and a real danger to people.

--------------------------------

A teenage girl has tragically died after her faulty iPhone charger cable electrocuted her in her sleep.

Police in the Hoan Kiem district of Vietnamese capital Hanoi said they found the burnt white cable on the 14-year-old’s bed and believe a slight tear in the rubber casing may have revealed the live wires inside.

The schoolgirl, named in reports as Le Thi Xoan, was found unconscious by her parents and rushed to a local hospital.
Exposed wires can be seen towards the end of the cable (AsiaWire)

However, doctors were unable to revive her and pronounced her dead, while medics also confirmed electrocution as the cause of death.

According to investigators, the police believe the girl had plugged her Apple device into charge and laid the iPhone 6 on her bed like she did every night.

They said the teenager likely rolled onto the iPhone’s charging cable, which had tears in it and electrocuted her with the current.

The charging cable is being inspected but the authorities said they are yet to determine whether it was the original Apple wire or a third-party device.

In a picture showing the burnt accessory, it appears to be shorter than Apple’s original 20-inch charging cable.

See-through tape had also been wrapped around the front of the cable, suggesting that the victim may have been aware of the wear and tear but decided to continue using it regardless.

https://uk.yahoo.com/news/teenage-girl-14-dies-electrocuted-sleep-faulty-iphone-charging-cable-155429850.html

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
Um no,she died from fumes.those cables put out 5 volts dc.4 amps.
As the entire cable was not burnt,it was not a short in block putting out 110volts ac.
Burning plastic fumes killed her.cyanide i suspect.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
Thanks for the Electric lession reminder Robo...

Not a topic that I am well up on in terms of being aware of the technical details of certain devices or their charging and wire details and specs..

In the UK we work on a 240 V supply but from what you say I assume it would still be similar...

I have had some minor shocks I believe on some similar type power supply type wires and .. I think two now are faulty as they cut out if you move the wire around at times..

But whether it was caused from a direct electric shock.. or from setting or causing a fire... the thing is they seem a bad design IMO..

and one cannot just plug in and fall asleep without the worry that something could happen..or the wire may burn and set on fire..

In some places ... Businesses will not allow anyone to plug them in anymore unless you cn show you have had the plug PAL tested and can show evidence its ok..

also no doubt they do not like people using their electric to charge their devices for free..

Not so long ago... one could easily plug in and charge ones phone in public type places or public houses...

but now many places like pubs or eating places..will not allow it...or at least in some places...unless you have purchased something...

Um no,she died from fumes.those cables put out 5 volts dc.4 amps.
As the entire cable was not burnt,it was not a short in block putting out 110volts ac.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Um no,she died from fumes.
No, she would need a lot of burnt cable for that to happen, and we can see only a small darker patch.

those cables put out 5 volts dc.4 amps.
The cables can put out much more, and those cheap chargers made in China do not have good enough isolation. Years ago, a charger would have relatively large, heavy transformer, with the 110/230 V being isolated on the primary coil and the 5 V output isolated on the secondary coil.

Today's chargers convert the AC current from the socket into a high frequency voltage that doesn't need a big transformer, so they can put a small transformer inside the charger, but by doing so the components are closer to each other and it's easier for a short circuit to happen. Cheaper chargers (or any other electric appliance) generally use much less isolation between the high and low current/voltage areas of their circuits, making it easier for short circuits to happen.

The short circuit would be inside the charger's box, not on the wires, and current strong enough to kill someone (0.5 A) wouldn't burn the cable on such a short time.

Electric wires are mostly made of PVC (polyvinyl chloride) or PE (polyethylene), and neither gives cyanide when burning. I don't know what gases PE gives when burning (although I know cyanide is not included, as it needs different chemical compounds present), but PVC gives hydrogen chloride, that is not lethal, although it turns to hydrochloric acid if it contacts water, so someone breathing hydrogen chloride would feel the effects of the hydrochloric acid but would not be killed by breathing it, unless it was a very big amount of gas.

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
Re reading the initial article...

It does say that they believe she was electricuated....

and as ArMap says... in the picture there seems only a relatively small part of the wire defected or burned /  melted..

I dont know the technical details on how the voltage is reduced down from what maybe a transformer within the charger to reduced voltage or current down from a 110/220 V mains supply..

But I do know that such type plugs are very flimsey and weak..
and easily tear.. or weaken the wires..

It does say she had put what I think was selotape around the area where wires were exposed...

and what ever happened has not appeared to have severely damaged the wire coating or created any major fire..

if the wirecoating melted and did contain cyanide... it would have only been relatively minor..I would had thought..

I do highly suspect she did more tan likely touch an exposed wire.. but just how much charge or current / voltage would have been involved to kill her , I am not sure...

but I think as ArMap says... small currents can kill..

I was not sure if ArMaP or Robo or other members may had left , or been ill  or gone on holiday... Not seen  some members for a while...

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
I dont know the technical details on how the voltage is reduced down from what maybe a transformer within the charger to reduced voltage or current down from a 110/220 V mains supply..
I do, I learned how to design and make both basic transformers and electronic battery chargers. :)

I was not sure if ArMaP or Robo or other members may had left , or been ill  or gone on holiday... Not seen  some members for a while...
Things have been too slow lately, but, like Dr. Piers in that British TV show with Thermoman, "I'm always here". :)

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
Armap,i got you by the toe there with those comments!
Ol armap is sharper than a laser scalpel!
Lol,roflmao!
Yes armap is right.
I wasnt sure about the block.i thought it a cheap transformer but his description makes perfect sense and shows his enormous skillset!
In electronics,biology and chemistry!
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT

Cell Phone Sets Girls Bed On Fire

Police Release Final Text from Teen Killed in Cell Phone Charging

Pass 2 all your contacts.
Today again a boy died in Mumbai, Bcoz of attending a call while his mobile was at charge. That time he had sudden vibration 2 his heart & fingers were burnt. So pls don’t attend calls while charging ur cel. Pls pas this 2 al whom u care. 1 USEFUL MSG IS BETTER than MANY jokes..
Dr Hardik Shah,
CMO, Civil Hospital, 
Mumbai

Iphone 5c explodes like a grenade test must see iphone 6 4 5 battery death by cell phone

Published on Mar 4, 2015
iIphone 5c explodes like a grenade test must see iPhone 6 4 5 battery surge death by cell phone viral this is a video that shows you what can happen don't try this at home poking other things in the ear jack other then your head phone jack can be crucial very dangerous.
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770

That's a different problem, batteries get hot while charging, specially if they are not the original battery and, like most non-original cheaper batteries, have a lower capacity and are charged with the original charger.

Iphone 5c explodes like a grenade test must see iphone 6 4 5 battery death by cell phone
The video looks fake and the sound effects are clearly fake. Batteries do not really explode, they have fast burns that will create too much pressure and burst a package that doesn't let the gases out, but they do not explode like in the video.

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
I have always sincerely believed, that the mobile phone (particularly the smartphone) is a literally demonic form of technology.

"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Technology is neutral, the way people use may not be.

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
Interesting ArMaP..

I was not aware that you had some background in Electronics..

Do or have  you still or have work /ed in the Industry ?

I am wondering why the Wires that they have used for such Phones or Tablets are so poor../ or appear to be relatively weak... As I mentioned I have or had two devices that both have had a problem with the wiring... in particular right near where the USB plug part or pin type end that goes into the device..

One I have at the moment will still charge.. but if I do not place the wire in the right position.. it cuts out..Im not aware its actually got exposed wires thru the plastic covering...but I think the wires inside the main wire outercasing have somehow been damaged..

author=ArMaP link=topic=10705.msg140879#msg140879 date=1511011229]
I do, I learned how to design and make both basic transformers and electronic battery chargers. :)

Yes it has been slower in the past 2 months than the average..

but it did seem maybe one of the longest spells for sometime where Ive not seen what used to be the more regular members not appear to be active..

Things have been too slow lately, but, like Dr. Piers in that British TV show with Thermoman, "I'm always here". :)

No Doubt ... these devices and the Internet have changed a very large % of anyone who uses the internet with such or similar type devices  behaviour..

I dont think any of realise, by just how much... even if we are aware of it..

I really wonder what the longer term effects of it all ar going to be...  be it in ref to adults or the next generations... or  businesses...  our health or what were past type activities before the Internet became so popular..

Yes the batteries in some of thes devices are a concern also..
or overheating..

I also have had one or two incidents where something went wrong with my tablet and It seemed to be overheating and I  was unable to turn it off by the switches.. and there seems no access to open it and to be able to remove the battery...

But I have seen some prior incidents where devices have overheated and  set on fire ..

Quote from: thorfourwinds on November 18, 2017, 11:59:42 AM

That's a different problem, batteries get hot while charging, specially if they are not the original battery and, like most non-original cheaper batteries, have a lower capacity and are charged with the original charger.

Petrus4
I have always sincerely believed, that the mobile phone (particularly the smartphone) is a literally demonic form of technology.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
I was not aware that you had some background in Electronics..
More electrical engineering than electronics, but I did a mail course on digital electronics, after a six month intensive course on industrial electronics and automation.

Do or have  you still or have work /ed in the Industry ?
No, never. During that industrial electronics and automation course, in the automation part, I found out that I preferred software to hardware, and decided to learn even more about software, although I didn't had any course on that.

I am wondering why the Wires that they have used for such Phones or Tablets are so poor../ or appear to be relatively weak... As I mentioned I have or had two devices that both have had a problem with the wiring... in particular right near where the USB plug part or pin type end that goes into the device..
In almost all electronic equipment, things like buttons and plugs are almost as expensive (or even more expensive) than the components, so the use cheaper products. Sometimes, it's not the plug or the wire that are not good enough, it's the workmanship of the connections between the two parts. For example, one thing I noticed is that most chargers use very flexible wires, similar to earplug wires, but when they connect a plug to those wires they do not put a protection around the wire, so the thin, flexible wire bends in the part in contact with the hard plug and starts breaking. They just had to add a plastic piece to protect the wire and bend slightly, so the wire wouldn't bend as much.

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343

Was your courses Practical.. say in ref to wiring and building of electrical or circuit type components, or maybe Technical on how things work or the science behind components or circuits etc or both ArMaP ?

In ref to your Electonics Industrial / Automation... is that in ref to Robot type technology say in a car Manufacturer ...as well as any other Robotic type of product  manufacturers ?

More electrical engineering than electronics, but I did a mail course on digital electronics, after a six month intensive course on industrial electronics and automation

So, is software something that you have self taught yourself ?
such as programming ?

By any chance did you ever work in that area ?

Robo also suggested that you have a Biology and Chemistry knowlwedge background....in which some of your posts suggest that you are quite aware in such related areas.... were they subjects that you took in School or college ? or that you just had an interest in and self taught / studied in certain areas ?

It seems that you have a Science / electo engineering / computer background !

No, never. During that industrial electronics and automation course, in the automation part, I found out that I preferred software to hardware, and decided to learn even more about software, although I didn't had any course on that.

I see.... and I think I understand and agree..

In almost all electronic equipment, things like buttons and plugs are almost as expensive (or even more expensive) than the components, so the use cheaper products. Sometimes, it's not the plug or the wire that are not good enough, it's the workmanship of the connections between the two parts. For example, one thing I noticed is that most chargers use very flexible wires, similar to earplug wires, but when they connect a plug to those wires they do not put a protection around the wire, so the thin, flexible wire bends in the part in contact with the hard plug and starts breaking. They just had to add a plastic piece to protect the wire and bend slightly, so the wire wouldn't bend as much.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Was your courses Practical.. say in ref to wiring and building of electrical or circuit type components, or maybe Technical on how things work or the science behind components or circuits etc or both ArMaP ?
Both. The mail course was slightly more theoretical, but I learned enough to design a basic CPU.

In ref to your Electonics Industrial / Automation... is that in ref to Robot type technology say in a car Manufacturer ...as well as any other Robotic type of product  manufacturers ?
Robots are just the part that moves, what makes them move is the automation part, so although we only worked with a small Siemens automation system (a Simatic S5, if I'm not mistaken), the principle for controlling a Lego crane (the best project on that course, they even appeared on a newspaper) is the same for controlling a complex robot: inputs, processing, outputs.

So, is software something that you have self taught yourself ?
such as programming ?
Yes, I am a self taught programmer.

By any chance did you ever work in that area ?
I have been working as a programmer in the last 22 years. :)

Robo also suggested that you have a Biology and Chemistry knowlwedge background....in which some of your posts suggest that you are quite aware in such related areas.... were they subjects that you took in School or college ? or that you just had an interest in and self taught / studied in certain areas ?
I had Chemistry and Biology at school, but as they are subjects I like I use any opportunity I get to learn more, but I didn't study them to any meaningful detail.

It seems that you have a Science / electo engineering / computer background !
I always liked science. :)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]