collapse

Author Topic: I am in pain  (Read 2572 times)

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
I am in pain
« on: September 25, 2017, 10:48:10 pm »
This is a post about Star Trek Discovery.

I am finding it difficult to believe that I could be in the amount of pain I am, about this.  We're talking about a vicarious, fictitious series of films and television shows.  I should just remind myself that this isn't something real, right?

Star Trek is something that has kept me going through most of the truly difficult periods of my life; especially Voyager, for all that that series gets shat on and considered the black sheep of the lot.  There hasn't been a lot of new Trek material for a long time now; and although I watched the Abrams reboot movies, I knew at the time that when First Contact came out, I was seeing the death of real, sincere, optimistic Star Trek.

Discovery, however, is an exhumation and mutilation of the corpse.  This is a series that does not exist for any reason other than to make money, to demonise Trump supporters, and to promote and normalise social justice propaganda in the eyes of viewers.  In the second episode, the main character commits multiple acts which, it has already been written, would constitute multiple, severe violations of the Geneva Conventions of War if they were carried out by a real person.

There is no regard for any of the other series at all.  It is supposed to be a prequel, set ten years before Kirk's time, but the technology looks more modern than what we saw in Voyager, which was the latest series set in the overall Trek timeline.  There is a race in it who are referred to as the Klingons, but literally nothing about them is the same or even similar to the depiction of the Klingons, again, in any other Trek series.

None of this is what really hurts, though.  None of that is what matters as much. 

What is causing me literal physical pain at the moment, is the degree of betrayal that I am seeing in the online fanbase.  I'm seeing shill videos on YouTube talking about how awesome this travesty supposedly was, and I'm seeing the Trek subreddit that I'm on, starting to make threads about Discovery as though it's just another Trek series, and going through the most unbelievable contortions to try and justify the total disregard that whoever made this has shown, for everything that went before.

That's what really hurts.  I feel like I'm alone, right now.  As though everyone else would just viciously call me a nerd and tell me to get over it; that it's just a TV show, and that Discovery is great anyway because it has flashing lights and extreme space suit stunts and lens flares, and those are the only things that really matter.

They'd tell me that there is something wrong with me, because I find it jarring that women characters are repeatedly being given male names now, for reasons I can't fathom.  They'd tell me that I'm just being stupid because I feel devastated and crushed about the idea of a Starfleet officer committing monstrous war crimes, and that for practically non-existent, arbitrary, plot-driven reasons.

They'd tell me that it's fine that open analogies are being made between Trump supporters and Klingons, when these "Klingons," are a stilted, deliberately artificial fragging mess that don't look anything like the originals anyway. 

I know of one actor who played a Klingon in Deep Space Nine, who has since taken any opportunity he can get to keep playing Klingon roles in the 20 years since, whether paid or unpaid.  That is how much some people love what we are talking about, here.  There are any number of people who have had the entire course of their lives changed, for the better, by Star Trek; and now a group of anonymous corporate psychopaths have diarrhea crapped all over it, with the Millennials predictably cheering them on.

I'm grateful, for his sake, that Gene Roddenberry did not live to see this.  I'm grateful that Leonard Nimoy didn't.  When I think about the amount of pain I am in over this, I can't even begin to imagine how they would feel.

"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Eighthman

• Gold 88
Re: I am in pain
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 05:11:50 am »
GLP was full of slamming and condemnation by fans. I think there is evidence that critics and shills are supporting this abortion while most fans feel differently.  They didn't allow a pre-screening for critics which should be suspicious.

Offline Phedre

• The Matrix
  • Gold 14
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 09:59:49 am »

RE: Star Trek Discovery

Agree with every thing you say Petrus . It is a fine example of Propaganda in Costume. What a piece of garbage! I do understand your pain, have been "Treky" since it 1st came out. I might as well watch the Main Stream Media, no fun there either, same deal!

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:09:26 pm »
That's what really hurts.  I feel like I'm alone, right now.
Judging by the reviews on IMDB, you're not alone.

But one thing is sure, it's just a TV show, just ignore it. :)

Offline Shasta56

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 148
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 12:20:44 pm »
I watched most of the first episode.  I kept thinking, huh?  What???  For something that is supposed to be ten years before the events of the original, it looks too weird.  It doesn't have any continuity with the original series.  It may, possibly have some kind of continuity with the newer movies, but those are a pale imitation of the original. 

Shasta
Daughter of Sekhmet

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 01:01:54 pm »
I watched most of the first episode.  I kept thinking, huh?  What???  For something that is supposed to be ten years before the events of the original, it looks too weird.  It doesn't have any continuity with the original series.  It may, possibly have some kind of continuity with the newer movies, but those are a pale imitation of the original.
It sounds like a new version, for those that didn't watch any of the old movies/shows.

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 02:18:39 pm »
Shut it off after 6 minutes of watching. I've tuned to "The Orville" as my next new Star Trek series despite it not being "Star Trek" it is quite an acceptable clone.

« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 02:24:09 pm by Ellirium113 »

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 02:54:56 pm »
I was hoping the ORVILLE would be funny, but alas, it was anything but...

Now if you want funny, try Galaxy Quest....now that is funny....

Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline Eighthman

• Gold 88
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 04:16:59 pm »
Let me break down what I see wrong:  First, Star Trek was attractive because of its characters - Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Uhura, Data, Picard, etc.  It exposed new, imaginative ideas - whether Kirk kissing Uhura or detente with warmongering Klingons.

A poll at a US university suggested that a number of young men were actually inspired to take up engineering because of Scotty !  The stereotypes of the Big Bang contain a lot of truth.

The new StarTrek doesn't seem to have any male characters to identify with.  The women seem quasi-lesbian or at least not the sort of cosmic hotties like Seven of Nine that kept viewers occupied.  It's full of fantastic graphics but appears to be a 'shoot 'em up' rather than character driven.  The horrible Klingons appear to be......African American monsters (!!!)  I was told that might be explained later. 

There are plenty of graphics rich violent video games for budding sociopaths to play. That's what it looks like...and NOT was StarTrek was.

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 04:44:46 pm »
There are plenty of graphics rich violent video games for budding sociopaths to play.
Hey, what's wrong with violent video games?  >:(

:P

Offline Phedre

• The Matrix
  • Gold 14
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 11:13:12 pm »

One thing that the new STD (no pun intended) does not Have ,that all the other Sci-Fi(TV anyway)was a sense of humor about themselves, they where just plain fun to watch! If not thought provoking.

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
« Reply #11 on: November 02, 2017, 08:38:42 am »
I like it.   :P

We have a Spore Drive, a Hooman Vulcan who in the eye's of star fleet did bad and a Glorious Battle with Klingon's. 

What is there not to like apart from the reinterpretation Klingon's?

I quite like this crew who go against some of the banal aspect's of star fleet which have always poo poo me off  :P

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2017, 08:42:27 am »
I guess we could all go back to watching 75 to 100 episode's of Deep Space 9 before it became remotely interesting.   ;D

Offline Somamech

• Gold 337
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2017, 08:55:04 am »

One thing that the new STD (no pun intended) does not Have ,that all the other Sci-Fi(TV anyway)was a sense of humor about themselves, they where just plain fun to watch! If not thought provoking.

Granted the humour is not Stargate level...

In the 7 episode's so far you have a mycelium expert who went against star fleet and Eugenicked himself, a Bad ass Vulcan/Hooman with great moral's, a Captain who ordered the sound's of death over the discovery sound system to get the message across. 

Honestly, what is not to like?  (apart from the Klingon interpretation which is growing on me)

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2017, 06:22:27 pm »
Ive not seen the new start wreck, but reviews from lop and glp have shot it down.
Your critique is superb and choice of vocabulary ,over the top prime.i wish my vocabulary was as good as yours sometimes.
Thankyou for the prewarning of this futurist turd pail.
I too am glad that leonard did not have to see it.i dont like to see an old man cry.
What a shame ,stargate was a top class low budget weekly series that sets the standard for professionalism.all movie producers should live to that standard.
I get chills just thinking i may run across this new show and suffer permanent mental illness from just one episode.thankyou members for giving me an immediate warning.may we all live long and prosper without such garbage!
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]