collapse

Author Topic: Are the Cops going Insane? Meth Lab or Maple Sugar Harvest?  (Read 1814 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Are the Cops going Insane? Meth Lab or Maple Sugar Harvest?
« on: February 11, 2015, 02:36:44 pm »
Are the Cops going Insane? Meth Lab or Maple Sugar Harvest?

Family Raided by Police Over ‘Suspected Meth Lab’ That Turned Out To Be Maple Syrup

A Union County, Illinois family found themselves staring down the business end of SWAT cops’ machine guns.

The raid happened last Wednesday morning when drug agents swarmed their home, armed with military weapons and even a warrant, based on nothing more than neighborhood speculation.

“I heard the dogs barking. And I knew that meant somebody was outside the house,” Laura Benson said. “And I looked out the windows and I seen a truck coming up the driveway fairly fast. And an Anna police car right behind it.”

Laura thought that her son must have been in trouble, since she knew she hadn’t done anything to justify the raid.

“They had a report of a meth lab going on on our property. And they wanted to investigate it.”

She couldn’t believe her ears. Drugs? Meth?

“They pointed to the buckets and I told them my husband has a hobby of making maple syrup. Of course they realized it once they seen it,” Laura laughed. “But I was quite startled this morning.

“I think my neighbors on their way to church see the buckets and stuff and think we’ve got a meth lab operation going on here. I just want to put their minds at ease, and let them know it’s maple syrup. And that they’re all welcome for pancakes if they want to come on over.”

The Benson’s had a good sense of humor about the whole thing, but this could have ended in tragedy… and for what? Neighbors complaining about rumors and speculation? If that’s all it takes to get a drug warrant these days, are any of us really safe?

http://countercurrentnews.com/2015/02/family-raided-by-police-over-suspected-meth-lab-that-turned-out-to-be-maple-syrup/

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: Are the Cops going Insane? Meth Lab or Maple Sugar Harvest?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 02:43:54 pm »
It's not as funny as you think... I have a mineral assy lab in my garage. One day there was a gang banger with a gun being hunted in our neighborhood and the cops were all over every ones yards looking for him. The side door on my garage was unlocked. We heard noise in the garage..  My wife (not to smart :P ) opened the door and got a flashlight in her face and the cop told her to go back inside...

Now we had no way to know it was a cop at the time but there were others in the back yard. We were home... no one knocked on the door to tell us there was a search though all the cars and helicopter gave it away. Point is no one asked to search the premises, no one warned us there was a cop in the garage. Had I investigated the noise with a gun in hand I might be dead today

Next day two detectives knocked at the door wanting to know about my meth lab.

Well it was straightened out and that cop got punished for illegal entry and I have a written letter of apology from the captain. I was asked if I wanted to press further charges but since we did find a gun tossed into our bushes in the back I figured the offical apology and letter and his punishment was enough

But it shows the MINDSET of these cops today Some states it is even ILLEGAL to own lab equipment and simple chemicals like sulfur. That is why it is almost impossible to find Chemistry sets in science shops anymore.

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 02:49:20 pm »
And beware the TOASTER POLICE  Consumer Product Safety Commission

Those were the guys that brought the SWAT team storming Bob Lazar's house 

The first startling thing Joy White saw out of her bedroom window was a man running toward her door with an M16. White’s husband, a physicist named Bob Lazar, was already outside, awakened by their barking dogs. Suddenly police officers and men in camouflage swarmed up the path, hoisting a battering ram. “Come out with your hands up immediately, Miss White!” one of them yelled through a megaphone, while another handcuffed the physicist in his underwear. Recalling that June morning in 2003, Lazar says, “If they were expecting to find Osama bin Laden, they brought along enough guys.”

The target of this operation, which involved more than two dozen police officers and federal agents, was not an international terrorist ring but the couple’s home business, United Nuclear Scientific Supplies, a mail-order outfit that serves amateur scientists, students, teachers, and law enforcement professionals. From the outside, company headquarters – at the end of a dirt road high in the Sandia Mountains east of Albuquerque – looks like any other ranch house in New Mexico, with three dogs, a barbecue, and an SUV in the driveway. But not every suburban household boasts its own particle accelerator. A stroll through the backyard reveals what looks like a giant Van de Graaff generator with a pipe spiraling out of it, marked with CAUTION: RADIATION signs. A sticker on the SUV reads POWERED BY HYDROGEN, while another sign by the front gate warns, TRESPASSERS WILL BE USED FOR SCIENCE EXPERIMENTS.

http://archive.wired.com/wired/archive/14.06/chemistry.html

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 02:53:25 pm »
While Taliban kids train with machine guns and get bomb making class America is so afraid of it's own shadows that Chemistry is fast becoming illegal. High School are even taking out labs Can't have kids burning themselves on a Bunsen Burner... the lawyers would have a field day

Whatever happened to chemistry sets?

Hugely popular in the first half of the 20th century, home chemistry sets have all but vanished from today's shops

The bubble burst in the 1970s, reflecting growing suspicion of science and disillusionment with its failure to deliver the perfect future. "Chemicals" became a dirty word, polluting our food and environment. The decline of scouting may also have had something to do with it.

Despite a brief resurgence in the 1980s – the era of my own beloved Merit set – chemistry sets have all but vanished from today's shops. Other toys have taken over, and the humble pleasures of homemade pH indicators and alum crystals can't compete with the thrills of video games.

There's also the problem of what to do when the chemicals provided in the set run out. Gone are the days when a local chemist or hardware store might flog you a bit of calcium chloride under the counter. Then there were fears that giving a child a chemistry set might incite a budding bomber or would-be Walter White – not to mention the spectre of "health and safety" and manufacturers' wariness of being sued – which have made modern sets bland and uninteresting to today's kids.

That's an easy excuse to hide behind, according to Judith Hackitt, chair of the Health and Safety Executive and a women infamous for demonstrating how to (safely) set herself on fire. While there's little in a modern chemistry set that could cause real harm, there's a lot to be said for letting kids get their hands dirty. Children are exposed to dangers every day, and learning to use a chemistry set teaches them how to handle risk appropriately rather than completely avoiding it.

Is there any hope for home chemistry in the 21st century? Perhaps so, but only if it can recapture children's imaginations and catch up with the huge strides that have been made in science over the past decades.

http://www.theguardian.com/science/blog/2012/aug/01/whatever-happened-chemistry-sets

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 05:19:36 pm »
I think this case, that I saw in another forum, fits the topic.  ::)

Grandfather visiting Alabama from India stopped by police while taking walk, left partly paralyzed

Madison police last week roughed up a 57-year-old Indian citizen who was walking on the sidewalk outside his son's home, leaving the older man temporarily paralyzed and hospitalized with fused vertebrae.

"He was just walking on the sidewalk as he does all the time," said his son, Chirag Patel, this morning. "They put him to the ground."

http://www.al.com/news/index.ssf/2015/02/indian_citizen_stopped_by_madi.html#incart_m-rpt-2

One thing this case has in common with the one from the opening post is that it all started with someone complaining to the police, only in this case, instead of suspicious buckets it was a suspicious looking person walking near other people's houses, although he never entered any property.

To me, more worrying than the police going insane is the (apparent) fact that people are so fast to complain about other people to the police, that's how things worked in Portugal during the dictatorship, most police (common and political police) work was the result of people reporting "suspicious activities" to the police.

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 05:55:50 pm »
While Taliban kids train with machine guns and get bomb making class America is so afraid of it's own shadows that Chemistry is fast becoming illegal. High School are even taking out labs Can't have kids burning themselves on a Bunsen Burner... the lawyers would have a field day
I was considering moving to California but this would be a deal breaker.  I love tinkering.  It would take them weeks to work out I'm not a terrorist or drug manufacturer.  :o

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter