collapse

Author Topic: Mark Hamill is left stunned by new Star Wars - The Last Jedi  (Read 3006 times)

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
Mark Hamill is left stunned by new Star Wars - The Last Jedi
« on: January 23, 2018, 02:15:59 am »
Apparently Mark Hamill was not in the loop as to what was going to happen in the editing room to his character and was stunned at the premiere to see what they had done. Before the viewing he was all happy and excited, jumping around, but afterward... not so much -

He would do well to just stick with the Robot Chicken franchise -

« Last Edit: January 23, 2018, 02:26:15 am by A51Watcher »

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
Re: Mark Hamill is left stunned by new Star Wars - The Last Jedi
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 11:52:34 am »
In all honesty, I think this is yet another attempt to kill the legacy of the white man.

Blast away, ban me, whatever. I see what I see.
Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.....

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 04:28:31 pm »
In all honesty, I think this is yet another attempt to kill the legacy of the white man.

The reason why I don't see it in racial terms as such, is because I've seen how badly the indigenous are still being treated both here in Australia, and America.  I don't say that as yet another attack on Whitey, as much as to point out that it isn't exclusively whites who are getting the shaft at the moment.  Humanity as a whole is, in different places, regardless of colour.

Everything I'm seeing tells me that there is an attempt to make a two-caste society on a universal level; the proverbial Eloi and Morlocks which H.G. Wells wrote about in The Time Machine.  In order to make Eloi, you have to remove their capacity for critical thinking, their desire to resist oppression, and even their ability to identify what that looks like.  The Millennials are the most obvious fruit of that campaign.

Star Wars fits into that equation in terms of being a rendition of the Hero's Journey, and an account of people who stood up against a very clear and obvious form of tyranny.  The last thing that people in power want these days, is for the majority to have that kind of image in their minds, because said majority might use it to free themselves from what is happening right now.

We're told that absolutism is anachronistic, bigoted, and wrong.  The truth, however, is the opposite.  By making everything into shades of grey, and supposedly giving everything a defensible justification, you end up with a scenario where anyone is willing to go along with anything. 

Aside from anything else, relativism is also a lie.  When was the last time you saw anyone willing to accept or justify any argument in opposition of homosexuality?  The Left has its' holy grails, and its' absolutes; but as with everything else, it refuses to be honest about that and call said absolutes what they are.

More than anything else, I'm realising I need to forgive myself for my current desire and need to be alone.  It's not about being Ebenezer Scrooge; it's about realising that 21st century urban society truly is catastrophically degenerate, and that by interacting with it, I'm not going to help anyone, and am potentially only going to harm myself.  I used to want to try and positively influence society in some way; but close to ten years on Reddit has shown me just how isolated I really am in the way I think and feel, for the most part.

I will stay online, and most likely keep using a computer; but in collective terms, it's time to let go and walk away.  The one element of Luke's depiction that I think they got right in these movies, was the fact that he was living in a cave.  In the current period, it's the right thing to do.

Turning and turning in the widening gyre
    The falcon cannot hear the falconer;
    Things fall apart; the centre cannot hold;
    Mere anarchy is loosed upon the world,
    The blood-dimmed tide is loosed, and everywhere
    The ceremony of innocence is drowned;
    The best lack all conviction, while the worst
    Are full of passionate intensity.

-- Yeats, The Second Coming.

When, owing to the influence of inferior men, mutual mistrust prevails in public life, fruitful activity is rendered impossible, because the fundaments are wrong. Therefore the superior man knows what he must do under such circumstances; he does not allow himself to be tempted by dazzling offers to take part in public activities. This would only expose him to danger, since he cannot assent to the meanness of the others. He therefore hides his worth and withdraws into seclusion.

Richard Wilhelm's commentary of Hexagram 12, from the I Ching.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2018, 07:46:49 pm »
Greetings petrus4:

There you are!
We have sorely missed your sesquipedalian prose and great to see you!

With great respect
thorfourwinds/rabunopsec
Peace Love Light
Hec'el oinipikte (that we may live)
Mni Wiconi (Water Is Life

EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 05:51:41 am »
Greetings petrus4:

There you are!
We have sorely missed your sesquipedalian prose and great to see you!
Thanks, Thor. :)
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2018, 06:55:24 pm »

Blast away, ban me, whatever. I see what I see.

The vast majority of movie reviews on youtube agree 100%.

Offline space otter

• Gold 691
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2018, 07:56:32 pm »

from Pets r us
More than anything else, I'm realising I need to forgive myself for my current desire and need to be alone.

I used to want to try and positively influence society in some way; but close to ten years on Reddit has shown me just how isolated I really am in the way I think and feel, for the most part.

but in collective terms, it's time to let go and walk away. 

been off for many reasons but mostly computer crap ..i found it very interesting to see this this morning upon returning to the  computer

Pets r us.. you have grown so much from your beginning posts here..
 (pardon ask for my judgement on that)
not your eloquence.. you've always been great with words and conveying your point....but with the change of your point of view
  i agree with you  on this and wish you joy of the next ? ? ?

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2018, 08:58:22 pm »
  i agree with you  on this and wish you joy of the next ? ? ?

Thanks, Otter.  I will still be here from time to time, at least.  I think what I primarily meant was that I'm not going to even think about trying to change anything offline any more.  I used to have as much idealism about doing that, as anyone else does when they are young.  Reddit has been instrumental in showing me, however, that the majority want things exactly the way they are, despite the fact that said scenario is often horrifying.

I'm trying to release the sense of guilt which I've had, about not attempting to change things; but I am getting there.  I've written before about the proverbial superhero complex which Millennials tend to have indoctrinated into them; and while that paradoxically destroys self-responsibility, it also leaves a person with a disproportionate sense of guilt if there are negative things happening in the world which we are powerless to do anything about.
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2018, 09:44:04 pm »
Petrus ,your wisdom shines through.
My dungeon lit with an oil lamp.
Someday darkness will subside.
May we be their to seize that day!
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2018, 07:48:31 am »

I've seen this photo before.  The two on the right are older; for some reason I sense particular malevolence from the second one from the right.  In a sense they are old school, but they are not universalists like the original feminists were; these people are not about equality between men and women, but female chauvanism.  It's like Catholicism in comparison with Gnosticism, in the Piscean Age.  The old suffrage movement was the Aquarian thesis; the type of pseudo-feminism which the women in this photo represent, is the Aquarian antithesis, or opposite.
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2018, 02:11:48 pm »
for some reason I sense particular malevolence from the second one from the right.
The second from the right? That's Kathleen Kennedy, a successful Hollywood producer.

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2018, 06:02:04 am »
Well I watched The Last Jedi and I can describe it in one word. TEDIOUS.
Also, with all the build up from the previous movie, The Force Awakens, you'd have expected, as I did that Luke would become the teacher such as Obi Wan and Vader.
Half way threw the movie I was contemplating turning it off, (yes I bought the DVD) because I really didn't care about the characters at all.
(and yes it's become franchise for the current state of affairs), i.e. Women's rights (Rai, and the Asian chick), Black lives matter (FINN), Poe (Hispanics) and the only evil people are White! Every notice that all the soldiers on the starships are white dudes?...
Just an observation....

edit:
Oh just remembered, they killed off Han Solo in the last one, but killed and then brought back to life Liea? Even when she was really dead? Thanks to CGI... ::)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 06:05:46 am by Sgt.Rocknroll »
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2018, 01:53:15 am »
I haven't seen either TFA or TLJ, and have no real intentions of doing so.  I pirated Rogue One, and as someone for whom that was the first SW movie since the prequels, it was a major improvement.

RO itself is still a long way from perfect, mind you; characterisation was largely non-existent, and the editing and film's chronology is a mess, which can make things very difficult to follow and understand.

It was, however, a Star Wars film with almost all of the unwanted (for me at least) elements stripped away.  That meant no child actors, relatively little (although more than none) stupid robot humour, no horizontal transition wipes, (although sometimes they admittedly did make things feel epic) and even no real political correctness, other than the fact that the "main," character was a girl who the film doesn't really spend that much time focusing on anyway.

For me, the single most striking element of Rogue One, was the fact that it is much more strongly in the "hard," science fiction category than conventional Star Wars.  Lots of people die, often in very messy and realistic ways.  This isn't a film where the storm troopers always miss, or where someone can jump out of a flying car at hundreds of feet up, and use force powers to prevent them from dying.  About the only truly obvious plot contrivance was the fact that when the Death Star targetted the city of Jeddah, it only blew up that city, as opposed to the whole planet, because doing so would have killed the protagonists.

That increased realism also made Darth Vader's rampage at the end of the film, one of the most psychologically disturbing scenes in any film that I can remember.  Said increased realism before Vader and the Dark Side shows up really boosted and emphasised just how insanely powerful Vader was, in comparison with the people who were attempting to resist him.  Watching it felt like I'd spent the last hour and a half viewing a live action film, only to suddenly have a truly monstrous cartoon character show up in the last ten minutes, and kill everyone by dropping anvils on their heads.  That disconnect was one of the main things that made it so scary.

I wouldn't bother with either TFA or TLJ, but if you're interested and like dirty, gritty, tragic war movies, RO is definitely worth a try.
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Sgt.Rocknroll

• Gold 343
  • Miss you Zorgon
    • Sgt.Rocknroll
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 04:00:02 am »
I've watched them all, and RO was a decent movie, but like these types of tellings, you already know the outcome from the beginning, so there was very little anticipation.
Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini Tuo da gloriam

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2018, 12:44:10 pm »
I only watched the first six and I'm not thinking about watching any more. :)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter