collapse

Author Topic: Forest fires in the NW  (Read 8379 times)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
Re: Forest fires in the NW
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2017, 07:03:56 am »
But prepare to leave if need be , as I am sure you will do..in another of your great escapes... ???
Sometimes, leaving is the problem. In the big fire we had in Portugal a couple of months ago in which several people died, almost all of the dead were caught while driving down a road they thought was a way of escaping. In one case, a family had just got out of a family member's house and tried to convince her to go with them, to which she answered that she knew the place and the house and felt safer there. She survived, all the people that were in the car died.

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2017, 08:33:08 am »
Sometimes, leaving is the problem. In the big fire we had in Portugal a couple of months ago in which several people died, almost all of the dead were caught while driving down a road they thought was a way of escaping.

The question of whether to bug out or stay at home is to Survivalism, as the question of the needs of the many vs. the needs of the few is to Star Trek.  It's one of the central issues.

There is no easy answer.  Each situation needs to be assessed on an individual basis, and it's most likely going to be a gamble either way.  If you leave at the time of a disaster, you'll likely be faced with looters, roadblocks, and other chaos; but if you stay at home, you run the risk of your home being burned down or destroyed, and yourself along with it.

My own attitude towards bugging out is, if you're going to do it, you need to do it early, and you ideally need to do it to a remote and quiet property which you've designed yourself, more or less from scratch; and that is not going to be an easy thing to afford.  Reinforced, fireproof concrete walls, ideally with triangular braces on the sides to give a hurricane a means of going over the building rather than just destroying it, and a nice, deep, well-fortified basement.  Ideally you're also going to want a double front door with a heavily reinforced frame and multiple reinforced hinges; paranoia is to a survivalist what technicality is to a lawyer.

"The first question in life is always, what would Kyle Reese do?  The first answer is always, barricade the door!"

Once a disaster is already in play, however, you're most likely going to be better off staying put.  If you have a rental property, your structural situation probably isn't going to be ideal, but as long as you're well supplied and looters aren't an issue, you will probably have a chance.  Reddit's /r/preppers has had threads from several people who survived Harvey.
"Sacred cows make the tastiest hamburgers."
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2017, 10:20:03 am »
Very sad story for those who were caught in the fire while trying to escape by Car/Road...and it was lucky for the person who chanced to remain....

For those not alert or familiar / aware.. I surpose its all very easily to misjudge such situations...either acting with enough time to get out... and taking ones family into consideration... young children and older persons..

I surpose ArMaP...the safest bet if possible  is to try and get out ASAP if thats possible in the opposite direction of the fire unless there are fires in various directions..

Otherwise it maybe as Petrus suggests... down to fate and luck.

or if is knowledgable enough from research and experience... they may know what their chances are if they are able to remain housebound and have say a Celler below the house or something that will not ignite and somehow that they could block out the smoke in the worst case situation should their house burn down..

But maybe thinking about it more.... getting out ASAP is the safest bet..  provided people have somewhere else to go and money or transport to do so..

There will be some people who may not have what is needed to get out...even though you would think all should be able to leave an area if they should do so..

Sometimes, leaving is the problem. In the big fire we had in Portugal a couple of months ago in which several people died, almost all of the dead were caught while driving down a road they thought was a way of escaping. In one case, a family had just got out of a family member's house and tried to convince her to go with them, to which she answered that she knew the place and the house and felt safer there. She survived, all the people that were in the car died.

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2017, 09:39:12 am »
Anyone heard from A51, ?

I PMd him yesterday but so far had no reply..

One wonders if he may have had to attempt to move out of the area.

Hes not been active on the Forum since Sept 8th... 3 days ago..

I was wondering if "Zs" had to go to try to the aid of someone, if not for the Fire, in ref to Hurricane Iram.

« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 10:15:44 am by astr0144 »

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2017, 04:06:08 pm »

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2017, 04:10:40 pm »
Thanks for informing us your still ok A51,

Was concerned that the ref to the article you posted may had related similarly to you..

Hope it dies down like they suggest Irma has been doing..

Just still manning the barricades, but still slowly improving.

http://www.kgw.com/news/local/rescue-effort-underway-for-hikers-trapped-by-eagle-creek-fire/470354816

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #36 on: September 11, 2017, 04:27:58 pm »
Just still manning the barricades, but still slowly improving.

Great news that your still okay....

I heard from a friend that one of the houses we were looking at buying to move to Oregon was one that burnt down. It was a larger property, house needed work.  But I had never considered wild fires

I hope the environmentalists now realize that controlled back burns are necessary  but far too late

Just be safe..

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #37 on: September 11, 2017, 04:57:27 pm »

Yeah I thought we had a thread on that fire...?

It's hard to leave  because everything you own is in that house... 

One thing I have noticed on facebook is that so many people are screaming false flag and don't listen to authority that its giving really BAD advise and people are listening to it

Just watch the comments on the live news feeds  Have people really become that insane in this timeline?  The jokes and callousness is astounding  and then to hear that kids are setting some of these fires and laughing about it.

It seems more people will stand by and watch an assault or death so they can record it on video and tweet it, but won't use the phone to call for help

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #38 on: September 13, 2017, 04:13:12 pm »

Having to evacuate two consecutive places of residence in minutes, has cured me of caring about possessions.  My philosophy now is that my body is literally the only thing I can't replace.  I do have a library of files on my current hard drive, the music section of which I have been able to keep continually since the late 90s; and truthfully I would be very sad to lose that; but I'd be able to survive it.
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline Somamech

• Order of the Mystic Star
  • Gold 337
« Reply #39 on: September 14, 2017, 11:52:54 am »
Yeah I thought we had a thread on that fire...?

One thing I have noticed on facebook is that so many people are screaming false flag and don't listen to authority that its giving really BAD advise and people are listening to it

Just watch the comments on the live news feeds  Have people really become that insane in this timeline?  The jokes and callousness is astounding  and then to hear that kids are setting some of these fires and laughing about it.

It seems more people will stand by and watch an assault or death so they can record it on video and tweet it, but won't use the phone to call for help

This website is about as social as I am, and in saying so I won't pretend that I don't look over some twitter feeds.  I saw a great one during IRMA stating how everyone has become FEMA experts and Flood Emergency Managers. 

You know whats worse than people caring... People who won't get their freaking car out of the way of an emergency vehicle.  I see this occurring often now in Melbourne as a cyclist of 16 years.  Tonight there was a Fire Truck with all the bells and whistle's coming down the street and two people thought they can still complete their right hand turn whilst the firetruck was coming into their lane.  I guess these are also the sortas people who are more than happy to whinge about their house burning down and how bad emergency services are.   

Offline Irene

• 🐾 👀 🐾
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold 519
« Reply #40 on: September 14, 2017, 04:01:39 pm »
This website is about as social as I am, and in saying so I won't pretend that I don't look over some twitter feeds.  I saw a great one during IRMA stating how everyone has become FEMA experts and Flood Emergency Managers. 

You know whats worse than people caring... People who won't get their freaking car out of the way of an emergency vehicle. I see this occurring often now in Melbourne as a cyclist of 16 years.  Tonight there was a Fire Truck with all the bells and whistle's coming down the street and two people thought they can still complete their right hand turn whilst the firetruck was coming into their lane.  I guess these are also the sortas people who are more than happy to whinge about their house burning down and how bad emergency services are.

I agree. It's also a problem here in the US.

Sometimes people are oblivious, read elderly. Sometimes they're just assholes.

I'm seeing the same kind of thing with school buses. People will stomp on the gas to avoid stopping or even just continue on their merry way.
« Last Edit: September 14, 2017, 04:14:12 pm by Irene »
Shipwrecked by the laughter of the gods.....

Offline petrus4

• Iconoclast
  • Gold 623
« Reply #41 on: September 14, 2017, 05:17:27 pm »
I'm seeing the same kind of thing with school buses. People will stomp on the gas to avoid stopping or even just continue on their merry way.

We're going further and further into Aquarius, now; a good name for it might be the Age of Inhumanity.  Pisces was about compassion and concern for others, but we are leaving that behind.

If I had a time machine, the future is not where I'd go.
        — Abbie Hoffman

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #42 on: September 16, 2017, 07:44:53 pm »

Rain due to start late tomorrow, then rain or showers for the next 5 days.  :D

I'll be very glad to see the  smoke and ashes go.

Offline A51Watcher

• Administrator
  • Gold 593
« Reply #43 on: September 17, 2017, 03:05:18 pm »

"And so... the gentle rains have begun."

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #44 on: September 17, 2017, 05:37:13 pm »

"And so... the gentle rains have begun."
May the rains fall gentle but steady, heavy enough and sufficient to quench the fires without causing mud slides or land slips

8)
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]