collapse

Author Topic: WARNING - Internet Under Attack - MUST READ  (Read 85237 times)

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
WARNING - Internet Under Attack - MUST READ
« on: January 08, 2012, 03:38:52 pm »
WARNING - Internet Under Attack - MUST READ

Yesterday when I logged into ATS they posted a warning that scared the crap out of people. The way it was done was to shock people but had they read the page they would have seen it was a "What If" scenario of what COULD happen if SOPA is allowed to pass

Stop Online Piracy Act SOPA

The Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA), also known as H.R. 3261, is a bill that was introduced in the United States House of Representatives on October 26, 2011, by Representative Lamar Smith (R-TX) and a bipartisan group of 12 initial co-sponsors. The bill expands the ability of U.S. law enforcement and copyright holders to fight online trafficking in copyrighted intellectual property and counterfeit goods. Now before the House Judiciary Committee, it builds on the similar PRO-IP Act of 2008 and the corresponding Senate bill, the PROTECT IP Act.

The originally proposed bill would allow the U.S. Department of Justice, as well as copyright holders, to seek court orders against websites accused of enabling or facilitating copyright infringement. Depending on who requests the court orders, the actions could include barring online advertising networks and payment facilitators such as PayPal from doing business with the allegedly infringing website, barring search engines from linking to such sites, and requiring Internet service providers to block access to such sites. The bill would make unauthorized streaming of copyrighted content a crime, with a maximum penalty of five years in prison for 10 pieces of music or movies within six months. The bill also gives immunity to Internet services that voluntarily take action against websites dedicated to infringement, while making liable for damages any copyright holder who knowingly misrepresents that a website is dedicated to infringement.

Proponents of the bill say it protects the intellectual property market and corresponding industry, jobs and revenue, and is necessary to bolster enforcement of copyright laws especially against foreign websites. They cite examples such as Google's $500 million settlement with the Department of Justice for its role in a scheme to target U.S. consumers with ads to buy illegal prescription drugs from Canadian pharmacies. Opponents say that it infringes on First Amendment rights, is Internet censorship, will cripple the Internet, and will threaten whistle-blowing and other free speech.

The House Judiciary Committee held hearings on SOPA on November 16 and December 15, 2011. The Committee is scheduled to continue debate when Congress returns from its winter recess.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stop_Online_Piracy_Act

We need to find and sign as many petitions as we can against this. If it passes it will mean the end of the Internet as we know it and we won't be able to post half the stuff we do without it being shut down, despite the care we take to ensure proper citation.

In case you think this will not effect things... I looged on to Open Minds Forum today and saw this...
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:39:33 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
Re: WARNING - Internet Under Attack - MUST READ
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2012, 03:40:03 pm »
Open Minds Forum Suspended by ProBoards

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index.cgi

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2012, 03:43:29 pm »
Facebook Locks Down 45,000 Accounts To Stop 'Worm' Spreading

Facebook has acted to stop the spread of a new variety of malicious software that has stolen login details from 45,000 mostly British and French users.

The Ramnit worm has been spreading since April 2010, but was only recently adapted to target Facebook details, according to computer security experts. It was previously used by cyber criminals to steal login credentials for other services, including online banking.

Facebook Locks Down 45,000 Accounts

« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:03:31 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2012, 03:47:13 pm »
Hackers Plan Satellites To Block Internet Censorship

"Let's take the Internet out of the control of terrestrial entities."

This call to arms, issued by hacker activist Nick Farr, is the rallying cry behind a new plan to launch satellites into space to prevent Internet censorship.

Farr, a spokesperson for the Germany-based Chaos Computer Club, outlined the group's mission at this week's Chaos Communication Congress in Berlin, the BBC reported. Calling for an "uncensorable Internet in space," Farr outlined the CCC's Hackerspace Global Grid, a project that also will involve setting up low-cost ground stations to track and communicate with the fast-moving satellites.

Skynet: Hackers Dream Up Censor-Proof Satellite Internet Grid

Organizers of a project called the "Hackerspace Global Grid" want to launch a network of small, low-orbiting satellites in order to facilitate Internet access that can't be blocked by government censors. The network would also include an array of base stations around the world. The project's developers are excited, but doubters say it's not going to fly.

Captain Dave

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2012, 04:03:39 pm »
Sounds like another "Good Guys" vs "Bad Guys" plot... Hmmm where have I heard this before?  ::)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yXCfEhW0R3k[/youtube]

Well, hopefully this will be a warning to both sides, after all, who is the Enemy of Peace? Who is the Enemy of Freedom?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 04:39:03 pm by Captain Dave »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2012, 04:09:21 pm »
Official Veto SOPA Petition Gets 25,000 Signatures in Two Days

If you’ve been hanging around my corner of Forbes at all, you’ll know that I’m virulently anti-SOPA (the Stop Online Piracy Act) as its broad interpretation of copyright law could lead to the ultimate destruction of my own personal site that I use to make a living. On a larger scale, it could also be responsible for the downfall of the entire internet.

Official Veto SOPA Petition Gets 25,000 Signatures

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2012, 04:11:02 pm »
Sign This SOPA Petition to Get Obama’s Attention

SOPA is terrible—it threatens the existence of the internet we know and love. You can call one of the dozens of companies backing it and give them a piece of your mind. Or, try the White House.

Using the White House's official "We the People" petition tool, over 34,000 people have expressed their rightful opposition to the bill. Most online petitions are sad and futile, but WhiteHouse.gov petitions often receive official responses from the administration—so let's hop on this one together. Ask Obama to veto SOPA. [White House via BuzzFeed]

Sign This SOPA Petition to Get Obama’s Attention

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2012, 04:15:28 pm »
Stop American Censorship

Vote is  Tuesday, January 24th

Congress is about to pass internet censorship, even though the vast majority of Americans are opposed. We need to kill the bill to protect our rights to free speech, privacy, and prosperity.

Go To a Town Hall

The Senate is scheduled to vote on the internet censorship bill on Tuesday, January 24th, and unless we can find 41 senators to block the vote, it is going to pass. Will you meet with your senators during the January recess and ask them to vote it down?

Stop American Censorship

Offline Gigas

• Gold 90
  • This can't be real
    • An obscure place from my mind
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2012, 05:45:20 pm »
Open Minds Forum Suspended by ProBoards

http://lucianarchy.proboards.com/index.cgi

Allow me to speculate. Alpha Tango Spookz involved.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:40:35 am by zorgon »
Everyone loves me, till they're sick of me

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2012, 06:10:52 pm »
Come on US citizens.  In the Derbyshire English vernacular, "Get yer arses into gear!" - meaning do something and quick!

I can't do a lot sitting here in the UK but if you care then you have a couple of weeks to keep the net the way it should be...

Good luck.  8)

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
  • Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    • PEGASUS RESEARCH CONSORTIUM
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2012, 06:25:24 pm »
Unbelievable :-[
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline RUSSO

• Administrator
  • Gold 423
  • Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    • PEGASUS RESEARCH CONSORTIUM
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2012, 06:31:05 pm »
[youtube]1w6GtwOvnWM[/youtube]

jan 24
« Last Edit: January 08, 2012, 06:33:24 pm by RUSSO »
"Battle not with monsters, lest ye become a monster, and if you gaze into the abyss, the abyss gazes also into you."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2012, 02:41:18 am »
Allow me to speculate. Alpha Tango Spookz involved.

No in this case it was SLANDER that had several complaints to Proboards.  I also had to deal with a personal issue at the new forum "The Outpost". It involved me making a complaint to vBulletin. The offending post and my posts were deleted so I will not push the issue there but the slander continues unabated at Alien Scientist

People forget that while a personal opinion on someone is fine, that just because you hide behind an avatar does not make out right slander using a persons real name alright.

Proboards had 9 complaints and shut it down. The other forums are using vBulletin which has similar libel and slander clauses

That is all I will say for now until I see the actions taken The Outpost... Doc locked the thread and deleted the posts right away. I have the originals saved. I am sure he understands the seriousness of the situation considering what happened at OM

I will post more in the admin area but to show you what I am referring to, simply look at these two threads at Alien Scientist forum

Thread: Dan Burish – fraud – liar – hoaxer - stolen valor
http://www.alienscientist.com/forum/showthread.php?93-Dan-burish-%E2%80%93-fraud-%E2%80%93-liar-%E2%80%93-hoaxer-stolen-valor

Thread: Robert ‘Bob’ Lazar – Hoaxer, Liar & Fraud supported by John (Fired) Lear
http://www.alienscientist.com/forum/showthread.php?88-Robert-%E2%80%98Bob%E2%80%99-Lazar-%E2%80%93-Hoaxer-Liar-amp-Fraud-supported-by-John-%28Fired%29-Lear

I for one will not sit idly by and watch friends and members slandered in this fashion. There is no call for that.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 02:48:51 am by zorgon »

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2012, 07:27:22 pm »
But wait theres more... >:(

We don't just have to worry about SOPA. The internet is up against a large scale assault with the NDAA now in effect, the Internet Killswitch, not to mention the plan going forward with Internet v2.0.

Some people in congress just need a high-five in the face with a chair in hand.

Offline SarK0Y

• Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 37
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2012, 07:41:34 pm »
i got some honor to see how american feddies run: my forum was erased by'em with stamp "illegal" & no the least explanation WTF  :) if these funny bunnies are so desperately scared of internet, then, wisely to guess, whatever $hit like war is coming: 4 instance, China & Japan gonna have the $-free trading with each other -- no to mention, wrong manners are badly contagious: if ones could, why others are forbidden toward the same way.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2012, 07:43:50 pm by SarK0Y »
I do What Me'n'Universum  want :-)

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56