collapse

Author Topic: "I Have Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"  (Read 64679 times)

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
  • A fantastic journey begins with curiosity
Re: "I Have Become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds"
« Reply #75 on: June 19, 2016, 09:51:33 pm »
Fukushima,  the radiation gift that keeps on giving.  I had stopped following this for some time.  Stupidity, greed for money, lack of acceptance of responsibility for accidents and bureaucrats in governments who fail to report the truth bear partial responsibility for this accident.  Failing to properly plan where to place reactors and not keeping up with keeping them safe all have contributed.

My grandson recently completed his Masters Degree in Nuclear Engineering at the University of California at Berkeley.   Some recent discussions we had was regarding was partly about safety and the lack of correct oversight and the use of boiling water reactors.  His goal is to make obtaining energy  much safer with fusion reactors.

Radiation:  the death that has become the destroyer has good uses but has become the destroyer because of the above mentioned reasons along with some that have not been mentioned.

I had gotten away from Fukushima (the subject of a previous project) and jumped into the security of cities and towns and nations.  One of those items would be radiation from dirty bombs, small suitcase type nukes, smuggled nukes in seagoing containers and the lack of time, money, resources, slowdown of products being imported trying to check these incoming seagoing containers.  Not only are aging reactors a problem but trying to intercept smuggled nuclear material is a very large problem.  In my field of railroad security I see these containers all the time and I am appalled at the ease at which these things could have something harmful in them and they may not even be checked.  These containers are hauled by boat, trucked to a rail yard, picked up by a truck and hauled to a destination.  Inside could be a small nuke, dirty bomb, etc...  Radiation: the destroyer could be sent all over any country without anyone ever knowing.  So we have Nuclear waste dumps, aging reactors, reactors placed geographically in volatile areas, lack of proper safety oversight, smuggled radiation devices or dirty bombs.  Will this be our destruction in the end?  Sorry, I may have seemed to ramble but I think there are several concerns about radiation that need to be considered.  It can be a good thing and yet not handled properly could be our demise.  I have been in armed security now for 2 years positioned at a rail yard and you would be appalled at the lack of real good security practices at several points during the transport of seagoing containers.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2016, 09:54:31 pm by spacemaverick »
From the past into the future any way I can...Educating...informing....guiding.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #76 on: February 12, 2017, 04:48:24 pm »

Most Radioactive Waste on Earth May Soon Roll Through Your Town

(ETA: This thread has now been updated 12feb17)
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline biggles

• Gold 47
« Reply #77 on: February 12, 2017, 05:44:37 pm »
The only beings that could fix this in an instant are the benign ETs, jmho.
I know that I know nothing - thanks Capricorn.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #78 on: August 03, 2018, 11:26:47 am »
EARTH AID is dedicated to the creation of an interactive multimedia worldwide event to raise awareness about the challenges and solutions of nuclear energy.

Offline astr0144

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 343
« Reply #79 on: August 03, 2018, 03:06:30 pm »
How Time passes so quickly....since 2011..

Keeping us to maintain being aware as I know people do forget !

Its just wonder the real damage is now over 7 years on..

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #80 on: August 03, 2018, 10:16:36 pm »
None on our West coast if UC Berkley is correct.  My grandson said they ran regular checks for radiation both on the ground and by helicopter.  Grandson is a nuclear engineer with his masters from UCB.

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #81 on: August 04, 2018, 02:21:54 am »
None on our West coast if UC Berkley is correct.  My grandson said they ran regular checks for radiation both on the ground and by helicopter.  Grandson is a nuclear engineer with his masters from UCB.
Well damn  8) that means we can't blame everybody in California being wacko because they getting irradiated

:P
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #82 on: August 04, 2018, 05:09:02 am »

Other than Iodine which spread rapidly in the early days of Fukushima (and has a short half life) most radioactive particles are heavy and won't float far in water.. 

Nevada had over 900 A bombs dropped at the test site yet today you can go visit it (just don't stay long or take souvenirs :P)

My garage has more radioactivity than Ca beaches :P  I have radioactive specimens and depression uranium glass.

But radiation is accumulative :D    And do you REALLY trust the kids at Berkley today?

LOL

Offline spacemaverick

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 373
« Reply #83 on: August 04, 2018, 07:33:20 am »
Other than Iodine which spread rapidly in the early days of Fukushima (and has a short half life) most radioactive particles are heavy and won't float far in water.. 

Nevada had over 900 A bombs dropped at the test site yet today you can go visit it (just don't stay long or take souvenirs :P)

My garage has more radioactivity than Ca beaches :P  I have radioactive specimens and depression uranium glass.

But radiation is accumulative :D    And do you REALLY trust the kids at Berkley today?

LOL

I trust my grandson.  He has taken readings himself.  He is still out there working for a company that is dealing with Nuclear fusion for power purposes and also working on advanced Nuclear Medicine.  He spoke of the cumulative effect himself.

Offline thorfourwinds

• Administrator
  • Gold 364
    • EARTH AID CONCERT
« Reply #84 on: May 01, 2019, 03:32:52 pm »
Eight years after triple meltdowns and explosions at the Fukushima-Daiichi nuclear power plant in Japan, major problems remain and many impacts are yet to manifest

Beyond Nuclear Press Release
Thursday, March 7, 2019

Beyond Nuclear spokespeople: Paul Gunter, reactor operation risks and regulatory capture: 301-523-0201; Cindy Folkers, radiation exposures and human health: 240-354-4314; Kevin Kamps, radioactive waste: 240-462-3216; Linda Gunter, international issues: 301-455-5655.

TAKOMA PARK, MD -- The legacy of the Fukushima nuclear disaster will continue indefinitely, creating long-term problems for human health, radioactive waste management and the environment:

▪   Around 1.09 million tons of radioactively contaminated water — used to cool the destroyed reactor cores as well as groundwater flowing across the site —  is being stored onsite in growing tank farms, which are now at capacity. Absent other options, Japanese authorities are looking to dump this radioactively contaminated water into the Pacific Ocean, a move strongly opposed by Japanese fishermen, ocean protection groups and the worldwide environmental community.

▪   In an effort to downplay or dismiss the health dangers of radiation exposure, the Japanese government has ended financial benefits to Fukushima evacuees, putting economic pressures on these families to return to the region, even though it has not been — and cannot be — adequately or effectively cleaned up and made safe for human habitation. According to noted physicist, Dr. Bruno Chareyron, who has conducted field measurements in the area, “The radioactive particles deposited on the ground in March 2011 are still there, and in Japan, millions of people are living on territories that received significant contamination.”

▪   In order to justify the return of evacuees and claim the region is now safe, Japanese regulatory authorities have raised the allowable radiation dose from I milisievert per year to 20, an unacceptably high rate that is especially dangerous for pregnant women and children. This policy has been cited by a UN Special Rapporteur as having “potentially grave impacts on the rights of young children returning to or born in contaminated areas.”

▪   Plans by Tepco and the Japanese government to begin removing melted reactor fuel in 2021 are fraught with risk and uncertainty since little is still known about its condition and there is no safe, permanent radioactive waste management plan in place.

▪   The Japanese government plans to hold two events — softball and baseball — in the Fukushima Prefecture during the 2020 Tokyo Olympics, a public relations maneuver to “normalize” the situation. However, in addition to unacceptable radiation exposure doses, particularly from hot spots, the discovery of radioactive particles of reactor fuel debris in the area, including uranium and cesium, would put both athletes and spectators at risk.

▪   The implications for returning populations to the Fukushima region come with dire warnings from the health findings in Macaque monkeys who have lived there continuously. The monkeys have been found to have bone marrows that are producing almost no blood cells, and mothers are giving birth to babies with reduced brain sizes. With a 7% difference in DNA with humans, these outcomes are alarming.

▪   Scandals surrounding the ill treatment of workers at the stricken Fukushima plant, many of whom are migrants and already low-income, continue. UN human rights experts found these workers to have been exploited and their health willfully jeopardized, with workers coerced “into accepting hazardous working conditions because of economic hardships, and the adequacy of training and protective measures.”

▪   Despite widespread public opposition in Japan, the Abe government continues to try to restart nuclear reactors. However, only nine of the 42 still operable reactors are back on line (out of 58 originally). The government has instead turned its attention to the nuclear export market, but this took a serious hit when Toshiba’s Westinghouse nuclear division went bankrupt two years ago and Hitachi withdrew from two new nuclear power plant projects in the UK in January 2019.

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter