collapse

Author Topic: more sinkholes  (Read 15693 times)

sky otter

more sinkholes
« on: March 21, 2013, 01:37:29 pm »
wow to this one

9-acre king of all sinkholes threatens to swallow a whole neighborhood

3 hrs ago Sinkholes, bow before your unmerciful king. A collapsing salt mine has caused a nine-acre sinkhole in Louisiana, one that is threatening an entire neighborhood. Residents are being evacuated, and the company that owns the mine, Texas Brine, is paying them $875 a week for temporary housing costs. The Lord of the Sinkholes appeared Aug. 3 and is still growing. Scientists monitoring it say a second cavern may be collapsing. "They caused this damage, and certainly we'll be aggressive in making sure that they pay their bills," Gov. Bobby Jindal says of Texas Brine. [Newser]
Click to see more on msnNOW.com, updated 24 hours a day.

http://now.msn.com/sinkhole-in-louisiana-swallows-neighborhood
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 02:57:35 pm by zorgon »

sky otter

Re: more sinkholes
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2013, 09:09:42 am »

i'm sure after reading here that there is some kind of conspiracy with these sink holes..

has to be..right?

Sinkhole swallows three cars on Chicago's South Side

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/04/18/17810648-sinkhole-swallows-three-cars-on-chicagos-south-side?lite=

sky otter

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2013, 02:03:45 pm »
they're everywhere...they're everywhere....yikes

video and pics at the link

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/05/20/east-rutherford-sinkhole-new-jersey_n_3307822.html?utm_hp_ref=weird-news

East Rutherford Sinkhole: Man, Forklift Swallowed In New Jersey
Posted: 05/20/2013 5:00 pm EDT  |  Updated: 05/20/2013 6:56 pm EDT

Visit NBCNews.com for breaking news, world news, and news about the economy

A sinkhole in East Rutherford, N.J., popped up inside a warehouse around 12:30 p.m. Monday and consumed a man and his forklift entirely.

The forklift operator, identified by The Record as Bronx resident Danny Rodriguez, was taken to a local hospital and treated for a back injury.

Emergency personel were on scene to contain the incident, evacuating the building.

Assistant Fire Chief John Giancaspro told NJ.com that officials are still trying to determine the cause of the estimated 40-by-40-foot sinkhole.

Fortunately for Rodriguez, it appears the forklift may have broken his fall. According to NBC News, rescuers said the piece of machinery helped protect him from being crushed during the tumble into the hole.

In April, a massive sinkhole in Illinois swallowed three cars and injured one person on Chicago's South Side. At the time, Water Department Commissioner Thomas Powers blamed the city's sewer system and a water main break for the collapse.

« Last Edit: August 01, 2013, 04:15:26 pm by zorgon »

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2013, 04:11:37 pm »
Okay this one is just CREEPY!!!

Another sinkhole opens in Philadelphia, exposes green fluorescent water under city!
MSN.com
Wed, 31 Jul 2013 08:43 CDT

You probably don't think about what's under the street much, but you might start to now. A sinkhole opened up in the middle of a Philadelphia street, and it was apparently full of this green ... stuff. What does this mean? Are secret tunnels below the streets pumping radioactive goo across the country for some nefarious purpose? No. As the Redditor who took this photo learned, this is actually a fluorescent dye. Cities add it to water in sinkholes to see where they go, and hopefully fix the problem that causes it. Still, nearby pizza restaurants should be on the lookout for a pack of giant talking turtles. Just in case.

http://www.sott.net/article/264527-Another-sinkhole-opens-in-Philadelphia-exposes-green-fluorescent-water-under-city

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 10:00:42 am »
Fluorescent Green Dye? It's the river of Slime from Ghostbusters II  ;D
Sit down before fact like a small child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature lead, or you will learn nothing. —T. H. Huxley

sky otter

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2013, 07:48:06 pm »

Tourists flock to Kansas sinkhole even though that's a really bad idea
9 hrs ago

What better way for a tourist to spend a sunny afternoon than peering into a violent geological feature that’s practically synonymous with death and destruction? In Kansas, a massive sinkhole has become a tourist attraction as it swallows up a pasture in Wallace County. Vacationers and curious citizens are reportedly coming from miles around to see the 90-foot-deep, 200-foot-wide crater, which is growing by the day. People keep flocking here to get a look at the hole, despite warnings from the sheriff to stay away, and the knowledge that sinkholes have caused deaths in Florida and devoured swimming pools, automobiles and bicycles. [Source]

Trending topic: kansas sinkhole | Click to see more on msnNOW.com

Read more:
18 images of sinkholes that left deep impressions around the globe Sinkhole in Philadelphia looks like it's filled with radioactive goo

http://now.msn.com/kansas-sinkhole-is-a-tourist-attraction-despite-warnings-to-stay-away

Kansas Sinkhole: Sinkhole 200 Feet Across Opens in Wallace County
By Jack Phillips, Epoch Times | August 2, 2013
Last Updated: August 4, 2013 2:50 pm 

A screenshot of Stormchaser4850's Twitter account shows the sinkhole.

A gigantic sinkhole appeared in Wallace County, located in western Kansas this week, according to reports on Friday.

The sinkhole, discovered some eight miles north of the town of Sharon Springs, is 200 feet across and 90 feet deep, according to KWCH-TV.

A local police officer said the sinkhole appears to be getting bigger. “Man had nothing to do with this. This is a God thing. There’s no oil well around here, there are no irrigation wells anywhere near. This is something that just happened,” Sheriff Townsend told the station.

Another local, Virgil Fisher, asked: “How can this happen? What happened to what was below?”

The sinkhole opened in a pasture belonging to local man Dalton Hoss.

“Actually, my brother found it. He called me up and his voice was quaking and he said, ‘You’ll never believe what I just saw,’” Hoss said.

Across the United States, there are reports of sinkholes nearly every day.

Last month, a sinkhole in Toledo, Ohio swallowed up a woman’s car as she was driving. The woman was able to escape the hole mostly unscathed.

Earlier in the year, a sinkhole opened up underneath a man’s home near Tampa, Fla., killing him while he was sleeping.

And a sinkhole also swallowed a man’s pond in Central California in March.

http://www.theepochtimes.com/n3/227199-kansas-sinkhole-200-feet-wide-sinkhole-opens-in-wallace-county/

http://www.examiner.com/article/kansas-sinkhole-wallace-county-continues-to-grow
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 08:01:17 pm by sky otter »

Offline Gigas

• Gold 90
  • This can't be real
    • An obscure place from my mind
« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2013, 10:05:32 pm »
All them deep underground booms we heard couple a years ago has to be the underworld opening up and sink holes are definitely on the rise. Over in clintoville wisconsin just 30 miles west of me they said the ground was shaking. Ya, you get that when something big is falling underground as either they drill those tunnels or the ground is washing out and the cavern roof has huge boulders collapsing down.

Now, you know if clintonville gets a sinkhole, we know why.
Everyone loves me, till they're sick of me

Offline Amaterasu

• The Roundtable
  • Gold 276
  • Information Will Free Us
    • T.A.P. - You're It
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2013, 02:05:11 pm »
I posted a thread, "New Madrid, Sinkholes, Gas Fracking, Oil Drilling in Gulf of Mexico," with a vid that gives a possible reason for the sinkholes....

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/forum/index.php?topic=4987.0
"If the universe is made of mostly Dark Energy...can We use it to run Our cars?"

"If You want peace, take the profit out of war."

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2013, 02:18:05 pm »
Expanding Earth Theory

Covers:

1) moans and groans as the earth expands
2) gas releases as fissures open
3) sinkholes that form as gaps open below
4) increased siesmic activity
5) climate changes
6) magnetic pole changes as the earth's core is disturbed by the new expansion

:o

;D

::)

Offline starwarp2000

• Ollam Fodhla
  • Pegasus Alternate Energy Team
  • Gold 151
  • Omnes Tuum Bases
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2013, 11:03:37 pm »
Expanding Earth Theory

Covers:

5) climate changes

;D

Better explanation than any other  ;D
Sit down before fact like a small child, and be prepared to give up every preconceived notion, follow humbly wherever and to whatever abyss nature lead, or you will learn nothing. —T. H. Huxley

Offline The Matrix Traveller

• Gold 253
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2013, 12:36:58 am »
Expanding Earth Theory

Covers:

5) climate changes

;D

All of which are caused by the Earths Thermal Cycle/s.   :)

This is driven by a combination of Complex Influences.

Just one example is the flexing of the Earths interior creating pressure changes
caused by the moons rotation about the Earth.

One only needs to see the earth and Suns affects on tidal changes and visualise
how much water is being shifted every day resulting in low and high tides.

The moon and sun may not move the earths interior very much but the pressure
changes are very much still present.

The molten interior involves eddies due to the rotation of the earth, (Dynamics)
the temperature differentials producing convectional eddies etc. etc.

All this has an affect on energy being generated within the Earth.

One only has to look at the mechanics of "geothermal fields" (Like at TAUPO in NZ)
and the extraction of heat to drive geothermal power stations like we have in NZ.

So we must also understand Energy being Generated through pressure within
the Earths interior as well as incoming Solar energy.

Both the Seas temperatures, Continental and atmospheric temperatures are partly determined
by these two.

1.      External Energy coming in,
and
2.      Internally Generated Energy.

Offline robomont

• Inventor's Group
  • Gold 215
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2013, 01:05:43 am »
wasnt carbo dioxide turning to carboxilic acid and digesting limestone?i think thats whats happening and creating these sink holes.florida has always been the living example.
ive never been much for rules.
being me has its priviledges.

Dumbledore

Offline Gigas

• Gold 90
  • This can't be real
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2013, 11:24:18 am »
This just in Montreal. Sinkhole tries to eat a backhoe.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2385410/Giant-sinkhole-opens-beneath-Montreal-street-swallows-entire-BACKHOE.html

Must be Stephen Kings the langoliers eating reality up

sky otter

« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 10:09:46 am »

if i were living in florida.. i think i'ld be looking at some other states to move to

photos and vid at link

http://www.cnn.com/2013/08/12/us/florida-resort-sinkhole/

Florida sinkhole swallows parts of resort near Disney World

By AnneClaire Stapleton,
 CNN

updated 11:01 AM EDT, Mon August 12, 2013

(CNN) -- A 60-foot-wide sinkhole formed under a resort in central Florida late Sunday, forcing guests out of their rooms as one three-story building collapsed and another slowly sank.

Guests at the Summer Bay Resort in Clermont, about 10 minutes from Walt Disney World, called for help before the collapse, saying they heard loud noises and windows cracking. All guests inside the buildings -- an estimated 35 people, authorities said -- were evacuated before the first structure crumbled.

Sinkhole eating family out of house and home

A roughly 15-foot-deep crater swallowed much of one building, Lake County Fire Rescue Battalion Chief Tony Cuellar said. Aerial video from CNN affiliate WFTV showed one end of the building -- which had held two-bedroom, two-bathroom villas -- still standing, but the rest reduced to pile of debris.

The evacuation started after 10:30 p.m., when a guest told a security guard about a "window blowing out," resort president Paul Caldwell told reporters Monday morning.

After another window broke in the guard's presence, one of the buildings began visibly sinking about 11 p.m., Caldwell said. No injuries were reported.

A couple and their infant escaped through a window because a door frame collapsed, witness Maggie Ghamry told WFTV.

"He, his wife and an infant, he had to break the window so they could escape," Ghamry told WFTV. "There were windows breaking everywhere.

"One woman was sitting in the tub, and the tub levitated, and that's when she just grabbed a pair of shorts and came out with nothing."

CNN affiliate WFTV: Buildings damaged

That woman wasn't the only one to leave belongings behind. Other guests left keys and bags in their rooms, and it wasn't clear Monday morning whether guests would be able to get items back from parts of the collapsed building, Caldwell said.

The resort has made other rooms available to all of the affected guests, he said.

Sinkholes: Common, costly and sometimes deadly

Florida is notorious for mammoth sinkholes. In February, a sinkhole opened beneath a suburban Tampa home, swallowing 36-year-old Jeff Bush from his bedroom. Bush's body was never recovered.

Sinkholes often start when bedrock dissolves but the surface of the ground stays intact. The void eventually collapses.

Living with a sinkhole under your home

CNN's Holly Yan and Jason Hanna contributed to this report.

Offline Gigas

• Gold 90
  • This can't be real
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 02:24:55 pm »
Dam, first somamech beats me to a story and now sky otter. Gettin old sure causes problems.

:) ;) :D ;D >:( :( :o 8) ??? ::) :P :-[ :-X :-\ :-* :'(

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56