collapse

Author Topic: WARNING - Internet Under Attack - MUST READ  (Read 85286 times)

Offline Ellirium113

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 335
  • We are here
Re: WARNING - Internet Under Attack - MUST READ
« Reply #150 on: November 22, 2012, 09:38:09 am »
Why anyone would waste their breath with Google chrome is beyond me. Google is so intertwined with every acronym govt. agency and helps them to spy on you. You are choosing to adopt part of the problem and then wonder why things go *POOF*. For christs sakes they have been actively trying to block content such as that on this site for years, this is really no suprise that the effects are starting to be noticed. BUYER BEWARE!!.  ::)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #151 on: November 22, 2012, 04:34:12 pm »
P.S.  Better still, get rid of windows and install linux.  Anyone who wishes to do this PM me and I will advise you based on what you use your system for.  No more viruses, no more nonsense and your PC will work.
Even better, learn how to use really your computer. ;)

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #152 on: November 22, 2012, 04:35:23 pm »
Why anyone would waste their breath with Google chrome is beyond me.
For those that like Chrome, they can use SRWare's Iron, made from the same source code base but without all the "bells and whistles" added by Google.

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #153 on: November 22, 2012, 04:39:09 pm »
Even better, learn how to use really your computer. ;)
That helps. :P

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #154 on: November 22, 2012, 04:42:14 pm »
Don't need no Penguin :P  Just need techs to stop upgrading software every other day :P

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #155 on: November 22, 2012, 04:48:20 pm »
For those that like Chrome, they can use SRWare's Iron, made from the same source code base but without all the "bells and whistles" added by Google.
Or another chromium derivative if you insist on following ArMaP in using Window is Comodo Dragon.

Fast and versatile Internet Browser based on Chromium, with highest level of security!
How to avoid online privacy leakage?
Comodo Dragon provides privacy enhancements at lightning speed
Own a browser that will:

Helps you stay safe and secure
    Provides unsurpassed speed
    Friendly user interface to start with
    Customized plugins and add-ons
    No more crashes or frozen screens
http://www.comodo.com/home/browsers-toolbars/browser.php

Comodo also make a very user friendly Windows Firewall.

I still prefer Firefox because it is so customisable.  It is not the fastest, leanest or anything else.  I can just make it do exactly what I want, even switch between proxies every couple of seconds if I wanted to. :P
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 04:50:39 pm by Pimander »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #156 on: November 22, 2012, 04:56:29 pm »
I still prefer Firefox because it is so customisable.  It is not the fastest, leanest or anything else.  I can just make it do exactly what I want, even switch between proxies every couple of seconds if I wanted to. :P
I prefer Opera, it does all I want without the need to for add-ons or plug-ins. :)

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #157 on: November 22, 2012, 05:19:55 pm »
I prefer Opera, it does all I want without the need to for add-ons or plug-ins. :)
I haven't tried it recently.  I had problems with some sites on Opera but I will give it another run out.

ETA:  I don't have the problems of Firefox being slow that many users report and I am not using a fast PC - it is a netbook.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 05:21:37 pm by Pimander »

Offline ArMaP

• Administrator
  • Gold 770
« Reply #158 on: November 22, 2012, 06:07:17 pm »
The problem I have with Firefox is that it looks like it has some kind of memory leak, Firefox with 5 or 6 open tabs sometimes uses as much memory as Opera with 15 tabs opened.

Offline Pimander

• Global Moderator
  • Gold 368
« Reply #159 on: November 22, 2012, 06:20:04 pm »
The problem I have with Firefox is that it looks like it has some kind of memory leak, Firefox with 5 or 6 open tabs sometimes uses as much memory as Opera with 15 tabs opened.
From the tests I have seen on the web, Firefox has a smaller memory footprint than Opera but only without plug-ins.  I think some Firefox plug ins or add-ons are badly coded and don't free memory correctly.  That will probably explain why Opera gives you less problems as there are no third party plug-ins when you use it as it does all you need.

ETA: As I say, I don't have the memory problems with Firefox (I only have 0.5G RAM) so I suspect it depends what add-ons people use....
« Last Edit: November 22, 2012, 06:43:04 pm by Pimander »

Offline Sinny

• Gold 305
  • Think In, Out and Around The Box.
« Reply #160 on: November 22, 2012, 06:30:12 pm »
I'm in agreement with the Firefox memory leak.

I've always used firefox as I found it neat, efficient and computer memory friendly in the past - The last 6 months however have been a nightmare, constant crashes!

I have experimented with opera and Chrome, less crashes, but not as ideal for me in terms of interface. I never considered it may be my addons - Thanks for that heads up!
"The very word "secrecy" is repugnant in a free and open society"- JFK

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #161 on: November 22, 2012, 08:07:09 pm »
From the tests I have seen on the web, Firefox has a smaller memory footprint than Opera but only without plug-ins.  I think some Firefox plug ins or add-ons are badly coded and don't free memory correctly.  That will probably explain why Opera gives you less problems as there are no third party plug-ins when you use it as it does all you need.

The biggest problem I have is the constant updates... Firefox used to be (from the days of Netscape) the solution with KISS  (keep it simple stupid) Now every other day you get a notice to upgrade and the plugins stop working because the third party plugin writers don't have time to catch up  and so they toss out a quick fix

Adobe is the prime culprit using plugin container and like ArMap say sucks up memory

But lately I have had Filezilla issues that I can't seem to solve. Woks fine downloading but uploading bigger files it cuts out needing constant resume  and then the data is garbled. Server says its not their end.

Tried different settings  sometimes it works for a day then back to same old...  Tried a different FTP client and that one cuts the files short  ARGGGGGGGG

ETA: As I say, I don't have the memory problems with Firefox (I only have 0.5G RAM) so I suspect it depends what add-ons people use....

Plugins used to work by just activating them  now they have to call them up every time you use them  so if you open three tabs on YT, you will have three plugins running

Sure I could try Linux but I don't see that solving the issues I have right now.  Windows has been fine till now so there has to be something that changed or snuck in under the wire and is lurking

Can't find anything all diagnostics come up clean but there has to be something going on that wasn't there a month ago

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #162 on: November 22, 2012, 08:09:07 pm »
I've always used firefox as I found it neat, efficient and computer memory friendly in the past - The last 6 months however have been a nightmare, constant crashes!

Well I am going to try loading an older version of Firefox... maybe back to 6.2  That was the last one that worked without any hassle and I had auto update off

Offline The Seeker

• grouchy, old, but inquisitive...
  • Administrator
  • Gold 426
  • The one-armed Bandit
« Reply #163 on: November 22, 2012, 08:25:49 pm »

Sure I could try Linux but I don't see that solving the issues I have right now.  Windows has been fine till now so there has to be something that changed or snuck in under the wire and is lurking

Can't find anything all diagnostics come up clean but there has to be something going on that wasn't there a month ago
I don't think it snuck in, Zorg; 'tis more likely something engineered into the system that has been lying dormant... in the last month now my issues have been with my ISP; atnt can't seem to keep my dsl online for more than 5 minutes out of every hour; been using s sprint aircard...

seeker
Look closely: See clearly: Think deeply; and Choose wisely...
Trolls are crunchy and good with ketchup...
Seekers Domain

Offline zorgon

• Administrator
  • Gold 903
« Reply #164 on: February 26, 2013, 02:47:53 am »
US Internet providers start spy program to stop file-sharing
February 25, 2013 22:18

Starting this week, Internet Service Providers will start throttling connection speeds for customers alleged to be pirating copyright-protected materials.

Months after a controversial “six-strike” program was slated to be rolled out by the biggest ISPs in the United States, the Copyright Alert System (CAS) confirmed on Monday that the initiative has gone live.

The program, critiqued by Internet freedom activists and privacy advocates alike, will let ISPs take six steps of escalating severity in handling incidents where customers are believed to be illegally sharing material. Through the “graduate response” approach, suspected copyright criminals could be issued a series of warnings for illegally downloading protected content.

With the first strike caught by the CAS, a customer could be issued a warning. As strikes increase, however, “mitigation measures,” connection speed throttling and termination of service are all possible options.

“Practically speaking, this means our content partners will begin sending notices of alleged P2P [peer-to-peer] copyright infringement to ISPs, and the ISPs will begin forwarding those notices in the form of Copyright Alerts to consumers,” Jill Lesser of the Center for Copyright Information rights in a blog post on Monday.

“Consumers whose accounts have been used to share copyrighted content over P2P networks illegally (or without authority) will receive Alerts that are meant to educate rather than punish, and direct them to legal alternatives. And for those consumers who believe they received Alerts in error, an easy to use process will be in place for them to seek independent review of the Alerts they received,” she adds — neglecting to mention that the appeals process costs customers $35 a pop.

Previously, Time Warner, Verizon, AT&T, Comcast, Cablevision Systems and other ISPs have signed onto the program, which was last scheduled to start in July 2012. Gigi Sohn, president of digital rights group Public Knowledge, told Wired last year that originally ISPs hoped to roll out the program earlier, but major protests against other restrictive Web policies, including attempts to pass certain legislation, left them to wait until the dust settled.

“SOPA and PIPA definitely had an impact. There was some concern, if they moved ahead too quickly, public opinion would be so raw, this would be caught in the whirlwind of bad PR,” Sohn told Wired.

The Electronic Frontier Foundation notes that the official CSI six-strikes website lets users learn more about the history of copyright, but does so by re-directing them to a page managed by the Copyright Alliance — the same group that advocated heavily for last year’s failed Stop Online Piracy Act, or SOPA.

When the six-strikes program was first introduced, the White House issued an official statement saying it should “have a significant impact on reducing online piracy.”

RT Russian Times

Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC
affiliate_link
Free Click Tracking
Wal-Mart.com USA, LLC

* Recent Posts

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 17, 2024, 12:40:48 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by space otter
[March 16, 2024, 08:45:27 pm]

Re: kits to feed your family for a year by Shasta56
[March 16, 2024, 07:24:38 pm]